Stock/commodities Discussion

Lufthansa just got a $10 Billion check from the German government. This is why it's important to be invested in these large iconic companies (not as a single stock, but in the form of ETFs). They always win no matter what. Any liberal "Occupy Wall-Street" idiot who tries to oppose the capital forces will only get squashed.

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
Lufthansa just got a $10 Billion check from the German government. This is why it's important to be invested in these large iconic companies (not as a single stock, but in the form of ETFs). They always win no matter what. Any liberal "Occupy Wall-Street" idiot who tries to oppose the capital forces will only get squashed.
I think even prior to this, the government owned a big portion of Lufthansa now they have a bigger chunk :)

Bache Tehroon

Elite Member
Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
I think even prior to this, the government owned a big portion of Lufthansa now they have a bigger chunk :)
No they only have about 25% (on paper), but the reality is companies like Lufthansa, Air Canada, British Airways and banks like RBC, TD and such are 100% tax-payer backed companies that will never be allowed to fail. That means, the profits are for the shareholders, but the financial troubles and debts are ultimately covered by poor tax payers :) It's a monopoly and completely immoral to true capitalism, but fuck it, just own them!

Bache Tehroon

Elite Member
Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
the july earnings reports will be key.
that's when the full impact of covid-19 will be reflected in the earnings.
July earnings will most likely be shit for many symbols, but that has already been priced in. Anything better than 'terrible' will cause the market to rise. $6 Trillion additional liquidity being injected into the market is no joke. This market is ready for another decade-long rally in my opinion.

Hooshmand

Elite Member
Oct 12, 2011
UK
I would like to invest in stock market for the first time, which are the best Websites? any UK based ones?
Is it the right time to buy shares right now or should i wait?
which airlines and Cruise ships are the best to invest in? I've heard American Airlines has gone up by 40% in the last few days.

Bache Tehroon

Elite Member
Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
I would like to invest in stock market for the first time, which are the best Websites? any UK based ones?
Is it the right time to buy shares right now or should i wait?
which airlines and Cruise ships are the best to invest in? I've heard American Airlines has gone up by 40% in the last few days.
You kind'a missed the biggest dip and recovery of the past decade since March, but investing in stocks for the first time is a positive event that one should spend some time on and learn a few things about.

Investing in stocks is a long-term prospect. If you anticipate needing your money in the next 5 years, don't invest in stocks. If you think losing your money will turn your life upside down, don't invest in stocks. If you can't stomach severe volatility and will lose sleep on days that your investment will be in the red, then avoid stocks altogether.

If you're still interested here are some one-liners I and most other investors have had to learn the hard way (by losing money):

1. Never invest in individual stocks no matter how tempting. Always invest in ETFs.
2. Never sell your stocks unless you absolutely have to. Try to invest with the intention of holding onto them forever.
3. Never ever bet against America (straight from Warren Buffet's mouth)
4. Always buy during downturns
5. Always add to your investment on a regular basis regardless of price
6. Never try to time the market. Neither to buy nor to sell.

One of the better ways to start investing in stocks is to buy an index ETF like the SPY or VOO which tracks the entire US S&P 500. As you gain more knowledge over the years (hopefully without losing too much money), you'll gain an appreciation for certain levels of valuation and decide when to add other items to your portfolio.

I have no knowledge of UK self-directed brokers, but most banks offer an investment vehicle within their online tools. There are hundreds of them worldwide. Choose whichever offers lower trading fees and has better reviews.

Good luck.

Bache Tehroon

Elite Member
Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
Such a crazy day. I had sell orders from a while back at far fetched amounts that were executed today. Use these rallies to unload and take profits.
Looked like a ton of profit taking was happening in the last hours, but surprisingly the market held very well. The volumes spiked massively towards the end and I expected the gains to vanish but they stayed. Monday could be another big day.

I'm still long. Just getting rid of my leveraged positions (I went in heavily during the March dip and have scared myself with how well it turned out, so I'm pulling out of leveraged plays for now)

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
Looked like a ton of profit taking was happening in the last hours, but surprisingly the market held very well. The volumes spiked massively towards the end and I expected the gains to vanish but they stayed. Monday could be another big day.

I'm still long. Just getting rid of my leveraged positions (I went in heavily during the March dip and have scared myself with how well it turned out, so I'm pulling out of leveraged plays for now)
I bought a shitload of GT a couple of months ago (It was in the 5s) for the long haul. Today I sold more than half of it and now I own the other half for free. If it goes up again next week I might sell again. My gut tells me to sell everything but FOMO keeps me half invested.

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
LOL @ Boeing.
It is back up to where it was in January of 2017.

Thanks to an Uncle Sam backstop no company can fail despite its most popular product being defective.

1591632803059.png

Attachments

Jul 5, 2009
South Dakota
Boeing has a bit left to the even level before the disease hit the ground back in end of January.
The Mafia of flight-industry won't NEVER EVER give it up on componies like Boeing/Airbus.
I invest all my earned profit during the first five months in 2020 in NWARF ($0,31 - 21/5), I mean all "earned profit"!
I'll give it another week going through fermentation before raking in double up of the green, crazy experiment!

Outcompeted shares (wiith a none existing P/E ratio) apparently are pure gold mines these days, we indeed experiencing a very bisar state of affairs these days!

Bache Tehroon

Elite Member
Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
Every investor who didn't panic due to COVID-19 is laughing today. As long as someone didn't invest in chert-o-pert stocks, their portfolio should be at an all time high today.

Those who bought more during the Feb/March crash are even happier.

This could be a bear market rally but highly unlikely. I think we have a highly volatile but ultimately flat period ahead of us. My reason is the absence of share buy-backs in the next few years. Without share buy-backs the market cannot grow as much as it has in the past decade, and right now share buy-backs are an evil thing in the eyes of many.

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
The reason I think that is the absence of share buy-backs in the next few years. Without share buy-backs the market cannot grow as much as it has in the past decade, and right now share buy-backs are an evil thing in the eyes of many.
Medicore CEOs will make sure buy-backs come backs.

overwhelming of these fuckers only know how to move EPS by reducing the float.

Bache Tehroon

Elite Member
Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
Medicore CEOs will make sure buy-backs come backs.

overwhelming of these fuckers only know how to move EPS by reducing the float.
I don't disagree a lot of them are incompetent fuckers who make up the numbers using buybacks, but the buyback trend of the past decade can only continue if the US gets past this recession without bail-outs (unlikely). If bail-outs start rolling for a few major names, then buybacks will be outlawed for those companies and possibly for those sectors.

Overall I think stock buybacks will become the new evil of the 2020s. Much like subprime mortgages became the evil of 2010s.

Another major possibility is Democrats forcing the reversal of Trump's tax cuts. If that happens, stocks are toast for a good few years.