Stop saying Iran would have failed miserably in the World Cup!

Exoma

Ball Boy
Jul 15, 2005
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJPxfSVf9oc&feature=related"]YouTube- Korea Rep - Iran Match Highlights & National Anthems[/ame]

Watch that (sexy quality) video. Look at how damn hard our Lions worked at that game.

Look at the power house Korea is. Look at how they embarrased Greece in the WC, and embarrased Australia before the World Cup.

I know just because Korea beat Greece, doesn't mean Iran would. But seriously, guys. To say that we would have gotten THRASHED in the World Cup is just ridiculous.

Yes, we'd be in a hard group. Yes the chances of us getting to Round 2 would be very slim. But damnit, we don't SUCK. Iran's Team Melli is not a team that SUCKS.

We should be proud of our boys, and the way they worked hard (even if it was a last effort) to beat these South Koreans in their own home.

Long live Iran.
Long live Team Melli.
I have faith in these boys.

Feb 17, 2009
this is what i meant. iran is certainly not a weak team, better then some european countries and is at same level with top asian teams

ehsan

Legionnaire
Oct 18, 2002
man iran is really s korea nemsis ,
they have trouble beating us as much as japan have trouble beating japan
or us arab teams

The_Referee

National Team Player
Mar 26, 2005
Jabolqa Opposite Jabolsa
:چشم دیگه نمیگیم
Iran would have failed miserably in the World Cup
:اگه یه بار دیگه گفتیم
:اونوقت تو میتونی دوباره فریاد بزنی که نگیم
:ما هم سعی بیشتری میکنیم که نگیم
:اما وقتی حقیقت اینه که
:ما چرا باید نگیم
:ولی خوب به خاطر تو نمیگیم
:تکرار میکنم که ما نخواهیم گفت
:وکی میگه که
:نه بابا هرگز درست نیست که بگیم
:حالا راضی شدی که کسی نمیگه

The_Referee

National Team Player
Mar 26, 2005
Jabolqa Opposite Jabolsa
However, seriously, the clip you put here is from the time we had no difficulties beating Thailand and Bahrain.

At the time being, TM's in hands of some opportunist traitor like Ayatollah Qotbi who knows shit about football and follows orders from AN has been going down the toilet every day. They can hardly beat Maldives these days and the head coach jumps victory when they can score one miserable goal versus Thailand!

This TM will never recover, not for a forseeable future.

Maly

Ball Boy
May 31, 2004
YouTube- Korea Rep - Iran Match Highlights & National Anthems

Watch that (sexy quality) video. Look at how damn hard our Lions worked at that game.

Look at the power house Korea is. Look at how they embarrased Greece in the WC, and embarrased Australia before the World Cup.

I know just because Korea beat Greece, doesn't mean Iran would. But seriously, guys. To say that we would have gotten THRASHED in the World Cup is just ridiculous.

Yes, we'd be in a hard group. Yes the chances of us getting to Round 2 would be very slim. But damnit, we don't SUCK. Iran's Team Melli is not a team that SUCKS.

We should be proud of our boys, and the way they worked hard (even if it was a last effort) to beat these South Koreans in their own home.

Long live Iran.
Long live Team Melli.

Don't worry my friend and don't get sad ... Any serious football analyst knows that Iran wouldn't have failed miserably in the world cup.

If you take into consideration all the negative comments you see here, you ll get depressed. Most of them are based on the fact that people do not split political issues and sports.

They ll critisize almost everything without beeing able to be balanced when they analyse facts.

Unfortunately, this is a bad side of our iranian culture in general.

Khabalood

Elite Member
Sep 26, 2004
Toronto
There was infighting within the Greek squad. Many players were not doing their best on the field and this led to an argument at half time. Karagounis (their captain) didn't play the second half for this very reason.

Iran would have been destroyed at the world cup. We have below standard players, a poor wannabe coach, no tactic or strategy and no friendlies to keep the squad fit or cohesive. Realistically, Iran is not capable of playing well at the world cup level.

Maly

Ball Boy
May 31, 2004
I don't agree, the same arguments could have been used even more in 1998 ...

As the fact that there was infighting in the greek squad, it is an excuse. They have been dominated in all the areas and Korea or Iran are able to beat even stronger teams.

You are underestimating too much asian level ...

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Exoma jan, you put up a single video of a game in which Korea hit the bar twice and we were lucky not to receive 2-3 more goals and then you say we wouldn't have sucked in the WC??

I don't know why so many people still have delusions of grandeur when it comes to TM! After the way Koreans played today and after what they did to Greece I thought it would be more and more obvious to everyone that we are easily the 4:th TM of Asia (if even that at times). I mean to love TM is one thing but to taking it over the top, is another. Wake up people.... yes with this team and with this coach we sure would have become food for other teams in this WC! The sooner we realise that and can manage to think realistically, the sooner we'll be able to progress. Until then.... a dream, no matter how sweet it might be, it's still just a dream.

The_Referee

National Team Player
Mar 26, 2005
Jabolqa Opposite Jabolsa
Don't worry my friend and don't get sad ... Any serious football analyst knows that Iran wouldn't have failed miserably in the world cup.

If you take into consideration all the negative comments you see here, you ll get depressed. Most of them are based on the fact that people do not split political issues and sports.

They ll critisize almost everything without beeing able to be balanced when they analyse facts.

Unfortunately, this is a bad side of our iranian culture in general.
OK lets ignore the fact that our head coach is a sell out and assume AN is truly following footsteps of Cyrus the Great!

Did you NOT watch Iran Thailand game a couple of months ago?

No bro. even analysts would agree with me that TM is in their lowest point of Iranian football history and I am so glad that we did not go to WC because, short of a miracle and some intense preperation program, we would have failed miserably.....Shooooot...you made me break my promise not to say:

"Iran would have failed miserably in the WC"

OK I will stop saying:

and won't say again:

Oct 1, 2004
The Referee jan, I think the problem is some people always have this negative attitude towards Iranian football and love saying "I told you so". I remember before 98, I knew tons of Iranians who said we will never qualify for a World Cup. Then we did. Then TM missed out on 2002, and again they said we'll never qualify again. Again TM qualified in 2006. We missed out on 2010... you see the pattern?

I'm not saying Iran is at Brazil's level or even at the middle level of Europe or the best team in Asia, I am just saying against most Asian teams TM should win 9 out of 10 times and against the top Asian teams they should win half.

I am going to say something that will piss people off here, but government behavior, infrastructure, human rights, even money, mean very little in terms of qualifying for the World Cup. Elements like that matter when you want to be a World Cup contender, but history is filled with teams that have bad, corrupt governments with nobodies qualifying for the World Cup.

We just love making excuses. To me the reason for failure to this day for Iranian football, 90 % of the time is the poor physical conditioning our players have. This is the fault of the league and the lack of emphasis on good pre-season training and then helping the players maintain that condition.

Khabalood

Elite Member
Sep 26, 2004
Toronto
I'm not saying Iran is at Brazil's level or even at the middle level of Europe or the best team in Asia, I am just saying against most Asian teams TM should win 9 out of 10 times and against the top Asian teams they should win half.
Against normal asian teams in the third round of WCQ Iran tied 3 of 6 games. Against the better asian teams Iran's tie rate increase to 5 out of 8 games. Overall we tied 8 out of 14 games we played, and had more ties than any other team. The current team is not dominant at the Asian level.

I am going to say something that will piss people off here, but government behavior, infrastructure, human rights, even money, mean very little in terms of qualifying for the World Cup. Elements like that matter when you want to be a World Cup contender, but history is filled with teams that have bad, corrupt governments with nobodies qualifying for the World Cup.

We just love making excuses. To me the reason for failure to this day for Iranian football, 90 % of the time is the poor physical conditioning our players have. This is the fault of the league and the lack of emphasis on good pre-season training and then helping the players maintain that condition.
That argument would have been apt had this been the year 1950, but realistically it takes a lot of investment, planning, and hard work on the part of any nations football federation in order to have a successful team in MODERN football.

Dec 5, 2004
Some facts!
2009-06-17 (a year ago in four days from now)
  • We meet S. Korea in Seoul for WC qualification fight.
  • South Korean where already qualified for the WC and had nothing, I tell you again "absolutely nothing" to fight for.
  • The stadium is half empty!
  • Before this game South Korean told they will play for theirs other half in North and will help them to qualify.
We were almost outplayed in that game, "az onja mon shans ovordim ke bishtar goal nakhordim", and we had everything to fight for!

By the way, (and the best part) South Korean did received thanked by brothers in North for this help, the cummie north torpedoed South's navy ship and killed a lot of S. Korean. ;)

Ohhhhh, what was my point? ......hmmm.....!
Yes, WE HAVE NOTHING TO DO IN THIS WC

Last edited:

parham79

Bench Warmer
Dec 5, 2009
This just proved how pathetic iran's backline is. The goal for korea was to easy. how do you beat three defenders in the freaking penalty box with so much ease. it's not like he was maradona.That kind of defending would be exploited so badly it's not funny.

Aghili would be a laughing stock infront of the world

Oct 18, 2002

Long live Iran.
Long live Team Melli.

Brother,

Iran's TM sucks. If in WC we would have sucked like always. Please do not compare us to Korea. They have a world more experience in WC games, much better organization and frankly a LOT better team. We do tend to play against Asian team well and that is because we all know each others game. Having said that, from what I saw in Iran in the qualifications, i am much happier that we are watching the games from home and not having to see our team get trashed in every game.

Exoma jan

موشه تو سوراخ نمیرفت، جارو رو به دمش می بست

We finished 4th in a group of 5 Asian teams. I believe we have the best players in Asia, but as a team we suck, for the same reason our country does at the moment. IFF is to Iranian football what IRI is to Iran.