Super golden age for oil is over

Jun 7, 2004
We went through a period of super golden age for oil in terms of its price. I think it is over. This is for two reasons. First, massive amounts of supply is coming on. This is due to the sustained high price of oil for since 2006 motivating new exploration and facilitating new technology. I've lost the count of how many times there has been "peak oil" type predictions. They are all non-sense, because the advocates think that they are smarter than they actually are in that they think they have encompassed all the technology out there. Of course humans continue to innovate when pressed.

A very large reason why oil supplies were limited was and is due to geopolitics. Now, the prospects for two major producing countries, Iraq and Libya are positive. We have Iraq bringing on massive capacity, Saudi's already in with cushion capacity, and Persian Gulf states increasing capacity. We have Libya coming back. Brazil is becoming a major exporter, US is increasing production significantly with fracking, a technology that is bound to spread through out the world, and we have Canadian oil sands becoming more and more economical by the month.

And the demand side curve is flattening a lot more than people realize. Sustained high prices has set conservation in motion and China infrastructure will be coming to a screeching halt, something people do not realize yet.

As a result, it is highly unlikely that we would be seeing huge oil prices like before.

This all means that the party is over for Iran. The horrific political climate aside, there is absolutely no doubt that Iranians enjoyed a period of massive inflow of cash as a result of oil that resulted in high real estate prices for example in Tehran. That is over. Real estate prices will decline significantly in Iran beyond its current decline in terms of dollars. It will probably be 1/2-1/4 of its peak in dollar and even lower if the political situation gets worse.

Feb 22, 2005
So basically Iran was in shit and now will go flushed down the toilet? Where did all that money go and what does Iran have to show for it? If true, could we say poverty is the future of Iran? If so, we can thank Hezbolahis and their fabulous philosphy Islam to thank for it.

We went through a period of super golden age for oil in terms of its price. I think it is over. This is for two reasons. First, massive amounts of supply is coming on. This is due to the sustained high price of oil for since 2006 motivating new exploration and facilitating new technology. I've lost the count of how many times there has been "peak oil" type predictions. They are all non-sense, because the advocates think that they are smarter than they actually are in that they think they have encompassed all the technology out there. Of course humans continue to innovate when pressed.

A very large reason why oil supplies were limited was and is due to geopolitics. Now, the prospects for two major producing countries, Iraq and Libya are positive. We have Iraq bringing on massive capacity, Saudi's already in with cushion capacity, and Persian Gulf states increasing capacity. We have Libya coming back. Brazil is becoming a major exporter, US is increasing production significantly with fracking, a technology that is bound to spread through out the world, and we have Canadian oil sands becoming more and more economical by the month.

And the demand side curve is flattening a lot more than people realize. Sustained high prices has set conservation in motion and China infrastructure will be coming to a screeching halt, something people do not realize yet.

As a result, it is highly unlikely that we would be seeing huge oil prices like before.

This all means that the party is over for Iran. The horrific political climate aside, there is absolutely no doubt that Iranians enjoyed a period of massive inflow of cash as a result of oil that resulted in high real estate prices for example in Tehran. That is over. Real estate prices will decline significantly in Iran beyond its current decline in terms of dollars. It will probably be 1/2-1/4 of its peak in dollar and even lower if the political situation gets worse.

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
yeah true..specially that with extent of continued recession, there would be less demand for oil for couple of yrs too.

but the fact is, Oil is still is a scarce natural resource. According to the estimates and studies, we'll only have Oil by 2050. so disregarding the economic situation, year 2040-2050 Oil will be traded at its record peak prices. Considering many countries, even by then, would not have enough Green Energy technology to completely replace their Oil-dependency.

Jun 7, 2004
yeah true..specially that with extent of continued recession, there would be less demand for oil for couple of yrs too.

but the fact is, Oil is still is a scarce natural resource. According to the estimates and studies, we'll only have Oil by 2050. so disregarding the economic situation, year 2040-2050 Oil will be traded at its record peak prices. Considering many countries, even by then, would not have enough Green Energy technology to completely replace their Oil-dependency.
Nilou jaan, yes oil continues to be a scarce resource, but it was a scarce resource from 1986-2003 when its price was very low. It is not that oil will become free, rather, the boom period is over. There is a very large difference between $120 oil and $75 oil. The reason is that about $50 is production cost, when the capital investment necessary is amortized. You are looking at $25 net vs. $70. Oil is a highly capital intensive industry. This means that there will always be wild oscillations as we will go through periods of under-investment in capital and over investment in capital.

2040-2050 is too far out to be able to predict such things reliably. As fracking and oil sands have once again proved, technology can greatly expand possibilities. Just 4 years ago, no one, and I mean no one, could predict that the Dakota's in the US would be a major oil producing region. Who knows what other technologies are going to be coming down the pipeline 20-30 years from now. Maybe, we will have oil replaced as a fuel by then.

beystr 2.0

Bench Warmer
Jul 9, 2006
I sure hope so FP jon...I can say and have predicted myself that oil prices even if for a relatively short period.a yr or so is going to drop drastically and hence...crap will hit the fan in certain places....although the western BS not withstanding...OIl considering its value is already ( even at 150 dollars a barrel) is dirt cheap...one..cuz the paper thats being printed has not much value..2..OIL is not easy to find or pump out and refine...but other than nookeelar..OIL is for a good time being absolutely..positively irreplaceable.

..FP jon...infact I've been asked to try to incorporate solar power in pending and future projects...even, be sent out to be trained about it...but let me tell u from all the little I've learnt so far and sure don't want to sound like an expert or anything....but indeed...as of today...there ain't nothing even remotely close ( economically) to sub for oil...I've actually come to realize what Kimia is this black thing...solar power as advertised is way over estimated..and then its only good for a few rvery rich countries....though in technical terms...it has value as a fancy addition to existing systems..

But since u mentioned...I'd be a thankful nut if we in Iran were told ...u won't have oil from so & so date in near future...Iran will be 100 times better off without it..don't be mistaking me..my generation and the one before me will suffer...but we got so much other stuff that I dare to say...TAze u will see Iran in its true potential...

Last edited:

Bache Tehroon

Elite Member
Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
FPjan, the flattened curve of demand is largely due to lackluster economies all over the world and conservation efforts by the private sector. I see no signs of middle-eastern oil getting replaced by anything in the near future.

Everything I'm reading these days is pointing to oil skyrocketing back to $150+ range once the market turns bullish again (in the next decade or so).

I think you're downplaying the fact that oil prices are not driven entirely by supply and demand. Oil is an essential part of the speculation market and most of the world's money/debt is based on speculation. The world can't afford to see oil prices drop. The US, Europe and partly China will not allow their oil-rich customers go broke due to oil price drops. Who will buy the American weapons and planes? Who will be the customer for German products? How will China's export be sustained without junk being poured into oil-rich nations?