Technology Thread

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
MS Surface is a fantastic device, cost much less than Mac, more power, better usability, lots more options. However, if you wanna run a studio, and record professional music, i think Mac has better choices. It really comes down to what you want to use it for :)
You bring up a valid point and that is why I am on the fence. Iran Inter Esteghlal brought up a good point, the price of the Macs. When the 2018 Macs come out, they will finally have the option for the 32 GB of Ram and I7 quad core. To bad if you want those features, you are going to spend close to $3,000 or $2,800. For the next best model, you are going to spend $2,000. Now I don't want to be a DJ as CM jan pointed out but I would like to do Music Editing however, PC now has some decent programs. The benefit of the Dell XPS is for $1,000 I can get the job done. I was thinking for now I could get the XPS and save up for a few years, then I can get a Macbook Pro, when I have the means to do so. Then, I can use the XPS as a back up laptop. Thank you very much guys for answering my questions, all of you I think I am going to stick with the XPS THIS TIME. I also like one new feature on mac book pro's, they will have a touch keyboard but gain very $$$$$. The Dell XPS will get the job done and it will not break the bank. CM jan pointed it out you can do music editing with a cromebook or a PC, Dell XPS, Microsoft Surface etc and at half the cost. Also, another cost is the cost of the music editing software I am looking at for a Macbook pro, costs almost as much as a Dell XPS $700. Of course they have one for $200 and $300 but the $700 one does everything. I just want to edit and record music for myself, put it on youtube, maybe share some Slavic, Persian and German folks songs. I not looking to be DJ Team Melli. :)

Pooya

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 23, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.IranSportsPress.com
I agree with you but it is not cheap either unless you are satisfied with core i5, 8GB and 256 GB SSD ... anything above that becomes expensive. Great device though.
that is exactly what i have, I never had any issue with it, runs all my apps , but then again, i dont use it for gaming, I dont think i ever faced an issue when i sayd, PC is slow :) and device is 2 years old now !

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
BTW, the new HP laptops look great.

[video=youtube;SQD9H1gwTkA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQD9H1gwTkA[/video]

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Iran Inter Esteghlal, I never had any good luck with HP's and I read on forums they can be problematic. Of course it was not a Spectre but I had problems with a few HP laptops in the past. Pooya jan if you don't use it for gaming, an I5 8 GB and 256 gigs of hard drive is really all you need. The XPS I am looking at for the $1,000 entry level model has an I3 but it is a 7th gen intel quad core 8 GB and probably 256. I really do not need anything more powerful than that if you want to get the 16 GB, that is going to cost you. It comes with a good graphics card, excellent battery life and it is a 15 inch notebook so it is the perfect size. I also love the quality of the keyboard on the xps. Here is a review of the XPS 2017 very impressive machine, even the base model will get the job done and the best part is it does not break the bank. Not much has physically changed, except I love how they upgraded the thin bezzel infinity edge screen is now in glass and not in cheap plastic.
[video=youtube;LDpdalpmeIQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDpdalpmeIQ[/video]

Nothing beats an Asus ROG laptop. Been using mine for 5 years now and it's been a total beast all the way. It is literally a beast (both in size, weight and capability).

It's not everyday you can convince me a laptop can stay up to the task for 5 years (with my insane gaming and video editing usage), but this one has and I still have no need to replace it.

[video=youtube;jxXG2AZLvvw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxXG2AZLvvw[/video]

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
Iran Inter Esteghlal, I never had any good luck with HP's and I read on forums they can be problematic. Of course it was not a Spectre but I had problems with a few HP laptops in the past. Pooya jan if you don't use it for gaming, an I5 8 GB and 256 gigs of hard drive is really all you need. The XPS I am looking at for the $1,000 entry level model has an I3 but it is a 7th gen intel quad core 8 GB and probably 256. I really do not need anything more powerful than that if you want to get the 16 GB, that is going to cost you. It comes with a good graphics card, excellent battery life and it is a 15 inch notebook so it is the perfect size. I also love the quality of the keyboard on the xps. Here is a review of the XPS 2017 very impressive machine, even the base model will get the job done and the best part is it does not break the bank. Not much has physically changed, except I love how they upgraded the thin bezzel infinity edge screen is now in glass and not in cheap plastic.
[video=youtube;LDpdalpmeIQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDpdalpmeIQ[/video]
You can' go wrong with XPS but Surface Pro is a different device. You can carry it with you while doing serious work.

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
Nothing beats an Asus ROG laptop. Been using mine for 5 years now and it's been a total beast all the way. It is literally a beast (both in size, weight and capability).

It's not everyday you can convince me a laptop can stay up to the task for 5 years (with my insane gaming and video editing usage), but this one has and I still have no need to replace it.

I agree but it is too heavy.

I agree but it is too heavy.
Heavy it is indeed. I have noticed there's rarely ever a need for a laptop to move. Most people just put it somewhere and use tablets or phones while moving around.

Mine is connected to two giant 27" monitors. It's essentially a very powerful desktop that can travel with me. I take mine on road trips in my RV and it's simply awesome to have my entire home computing package with me thousands of miles away from home!

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
@Bache Tehroon jan I love the ASUS laptop but like Iran Inter Esteghlal pointed out, it is too heavy AND very expensive. I just looked at the prices and their entry level ones start at $1,399, almost $1500 with tax. I can get an XPS and still be in that $1,000 budget I have been looking at. Iran Esteghlal Inter, I was actually considering the Microsoft Surface Pro as well. The entry level is the same price as the XPS. I like that it is more portable, you can carry it while doing serious work but the XPS is not a heavy laptop. It is only a few pounds bigger than the Macbook pro and that is primarily because their charger is pretty bulky compared to apples. Right now XPS and Surface Pro are really 1 and 1A not even 1 and 2. They are a bit different, XPS is more of a traditional laptop where as surafce pro is more like a tablet but it is very powerful and you can do quite a bit with it and i love the portability. Both have their upsides the one major upside is I LOVE the XPS's keyboard it is like you are typing on a cloud, it's like you are gliding on the keyboard. One more thing is I might as well wait until January because by then, no matter what I decide, the 2018's will be available. It's only a few more months anyways so might as well wait.

2017 Surface Pro review
[video=youtube;D975z1CGXXY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D975z1CGXXY[/video]

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
This is out of my budget but for those of you ballers, if you have $1,800 to spend and want a serious gaming laptop, check out the MSI GS 60, very impressive machine. Even an entry level MSI notebook will set you back $1,500. Again the name of the game is keep it to a budget of $1000 so for me 1 and 1A are the XPS and the Surface Pro. I must say I am very impressed though with this awesome gaming laptop but expect to pay Mac level prices. Did anybody here try an MSI just out of curiosity? I figure, rather than paying $2,000 for a gaming laptop, just get a good laptop that can be used for gaming, like an XPS and buy a PS4 pro, it will be much cheaper than that top of the line laptop. I can get that XPS for $1000 and that PS4 pro for like $400, with tax around $1,500, still significantly cheaper than a $2000 notebook.
[video=youtube;_uR1YSgaqN0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uR1YSgaqN0[/video]

Nov 24, 2002

I am planning to change mine soon, i heard lots of good things about Asus laptops.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
To all of you Bache T, Iran Esteg Inter, Babr, CM, and even Playboy thank you all for you tips. BT jan, I actually am very impressed with the Asus model GL 753. I like that the price is only $1,299 very manageable. Every laptop has it's pro's and con's. ASUS GL 760 Pro With the ASUS the pro's are Comfortable, RGB-backlit keyboard; Keeps cool while gaming; Vivid display; Above-average battery life. Con, bulky, finniky touch pad, according to the editor's review and overall 3.5 out of 5 stars.
My top five are
1-Macbook pro, the $2000 model. I will wait for the 2018 when the touch bar keyboard comes out if I decide to get it.

2 XPS and Alienware, Dell both are very comparable. Alienware is slightly better for gaming but XPS is better for business and more professional looking. It actually looks like the macbook pro. $1,000 entry level model.

4-Asus GL760 $1,300

5-MSI, entry level $1500 built exclusively for gaming.

Pooya

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 23, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.IranSportsPress.com
Heavy it is indeed. I have noticed there's rarely ever a need for a laptop to move. Most people just put it somewhere and use tablets or phones while moving around.

Mine is connected to two giant 27" monitors. It's essentially a very powerful desktop that can travel with me. I take mine on road trips in my RV and it's simply awesome to have my entire home computing package with me thousands of miles away from home!
if you aint going to move it, then why get a laptop ? I have a desktop i build 5 years ago, it ROCKS ! I travel with my laptop and weight is a huge factor for me.

if you aint going to move it, then why get a laptop ? I have a desktop i build 5 years ago, it ROCKS ! I travel with my laptop and weight is a huge factor for me.
Because the cost was almost the same. A desktop with my laptop's specs would've cost only $200 less at that time. The laptop has a monitor and is easy to put in a bag to take elsewhere.

I read an article once that said unlike 5-10 years ago, laptops rarely move these days. I tend to believe that.

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
Nothing beats an awesome HP Z840 workstation with 2 xeon processor and 128GB RAM ... No laptop can beat that :D

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Arash T, you showed some very nice cars but let me know what you think of this bad boy I will get one day. Now new these trucks cost $80,80000 K but I am going to get the 2500 Ram Cummins mega cab, 4 by 4 probably Laramie model or Big Horn and you can get one between 35,000-45,000 a couple of years used. You can get the 3500 but then you would be sipping gas, even with the diesel because that is a one ton truck built for daullies on the back. Again, this particilar model will be in the 70's new so you might want to get it a few years used. The Mega Cab Laramie 2500 includes
[video=youtube;bTXkuTzl4S8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTXkuTzl4S8[/video]
1-6.7 L Cummins diesel engine, this will replace the previous 5.9 L
2-Payload on this puppy is 4,000 lbs
3-An important thing you need to know, towing 15,000 pounds. Bonus, not only you have 4 pin but you have a seven pin wearing harness along with a tow hitch and two back up cameras one on the hitch and one on your back window.
4- Engine-This is hands down the best engine in the world, you are talking 6.7 L Cummins engine, over 370 HP and over 800 ft of torque! No matter what you are towing you will have no problems
5-4 by 4 and off road ability
6-You won't get this information in the video. The gas will not kill you because I asked my friend who drove 8 hours to from L.V to S.L.C to jot down the mileage. When not towing, you can get over 25 MPG on the highway, around 15- in the city combined 20 Compare that to most smaller truck models Ram 1500, F150, Chevy Silverado , Toyota Tundra and Nissan Titan with the 5.7 L Hemi, you are getting 17 combined mpg 15/19 combined 17 mpg. Keep in mind that gas here in L.V is about 50-75 cents cheaper than So Cal. That is even better gas mileage than most mid sized suv's and I will always have a very efficient 4 door sedan.
Inside the 2500, it does not feel like a truck. It is a very smooth ride, very quiet for a diesel, not like you think like back in the day, it is comparable to the smaller 1/2 ton gas trucks. Inside leather seats, heated seats, all of the amenities you want.

This is my problem with nice luxury or sports cars like Aston Martin's or Lamborgini's, Rolls Royce etc. They are beautiful there is no doubt about it and fun to drive, without a doubt but you have several problems 1- Cost to buy, even used those cars are expensive. 2- Insurance 3- Gas, 4-maintenance 5-depreciation etc. If you have the money to not only buy one but keep up with the maintenance then more power to you.
At least with this, you let the other guy take the hit and then you can enjoy that truck for a very long time because that engine can easily go over 500,000 miles.

Last edited:

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
As for the decision on the computer, I am going to go with the XPS 15 and also with the money I save, I can get an I pad Pro 3 both in 2018. Apple will raise the price for their new models $200 so the $2200 one will now be $2,400. I was willing to pay $2,000-2,2200 but with that price I can three three things
1-Dell XPS 15 -$900-1000 depending on sale
2-I pad pro 3-$700
3-Wait a year and get an I phone or Samsung for around $500-600
If these are on sale
If some of these are on sale $50-100, I can take part of that money, add a couple of hundred and get a PS4 Pro as well.

Last edited: