Technology Thread

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
The PS5 will launch on November 12th for $499.99

Sony has announced that the PlayStation 5 will cost $499.99 when it launches on November 12th, alongside the $399.99 Digital Edition. Preorders will begin on September 17th at “select retailers.”

The pricing puts Sony squarely up against Microsoft’s next-gen consoles, with the company set to release its entry-level Xbox Series S at $299 and its flagship Xbox Series X for $499 on November 10th.

$500 + at least $200 for 3 games (the very minimum a kid wants) = $700

Not exactly cheap for parents in Canada or US, but perhaps just manageable.

Just imagine what these prices mean to a typical father in Iran on an average salary. $700 is equivalent to at least 3 months of their entire wage. And we're talking about a somewhat upper-middle-class family, not an impoverished one.

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
did you watch the Jensen Q&A, I found it interesting, they asked him if they plan to stop using RISC-V? he said no, they are going to continue using both. I find that very interesting. What do you think?
Well certain technologies have matured and the cost of changing a processor architecture might not be financially viable. In other words, years of customization might have taken place for the optimum performance. That doesn't mean that one architecture is more superior. At the end of the game, ARM is definitely the platform of choice and I would imagine when you spend 40 billion dollar on this asset, you would like to take advantage of it in the long-term.

Pooya

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 23, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.IranSportsPress.com
Well certain technologies have matured and the cost of changing a processor architecture might not be financially viable. In other words, years of customization might have taken place for the optimum performance. That doesn't mean that one architecture is more superior. At the end of the game, ARM is definitely the platform of choice and I would imagine when you spend 40 billion dollar on this asset, you would like to take advantage of it in the long-term.
Same here, I think they will move to ARM sooner or later completely. Another interesting point is, how China going to react to this , ARM being an american company now.

Oct 18, 2010
i hate stainless steel since no magnet sticks to it.
but it's our own invention.

1,000-Year-Old Precursor to Stainless Steel Found in Iran, Surprising Archaeologists

Chromium steel, commonly referred to as stainless steel, is thought to be a recent manufacturing innovation, but new evidence suggests ancient Persians stumbled upon an early version of this alloy some 1,000 years ago, in what is a surprise to archaeologists.

https://gizmodo.com/1-000-year-old-precursor-to-stainless-steel-found-in-ir-1845145184

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
It is getting some crazy benchmark and very impressed with its power consumption.
Designing everything in one company means super optimization. Also they can bring the cost down. I am considering to buy one but I will wait for second generation.