Tehran, second worst city to live in the world

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
They only did 144 cities so Qom was not included, but I'm sure it would've scored higher than Tehran :)

Depends. Both groups would make that choice out of sheer ignorance. An informed Detroiter may find many reasons to choose to live in Tehran, while an informed Tehrani will most likely avoid Detroit at all costs.
All you need to do is inform them that they lose much of their personal choice and freedom and I doubt any westerner would choose to live in Tehran. There is only so much mountain climbing you can do and so much kale pache and chelo kebab you can eat. Eventually you miss sitting out and having a beer! :)
Then inform them how long it takes to get anything done in a government office, put the TV on and listen to lies, go out with your wife and you might get arrested to prove your relationship or for not covering your hair fully or for having a water fight etc.

Basically if you well inform both parties, I am 100% sure my original statement stands.

InDaMoneyz

IPL Player
Mar 13, 2007
Depends. Both groups would make that choice out of sheer ignorance. An informed Detroiter may find many reasons to choose to live in Tehran, while an informed Tehrani will most likely avoid Detroit at all costs.
jeeeesus ...! an informed detroiter may want to live in tehran! LOL....so they may be informed about all oppression they may face, lack of freedom in what to read or study, what to say, what to watch or how to look or behave and who to vote for, and female detroiters will find it completely acceptable to wear that shit rag on their head and be subject to most disturbing sexual advances. An informed detroiter will also accept the minimum wage, outragously expensive life and lack of proper housing, decent schools with basic facilties and etc....and they would prefer listening to the mindblowing islamic propaganda and quran 24 hours a day rather than living in a free detroit!? LOLLLLLLL

What do you even know about detroit!? I already told you, I wouldnt live there, but there are suburbs in detroit that no iranis can afford to live in. It is a blue color town overall but their living standarsd are still many many times greater than that of avg tehranis! There are major corporations, industries, universities and colleges there and many ethnic communities have florished and have become affluent. are they san francisco, san diego or chicago? no but they are still 10x better than what iran has to offer. What are you smoking!?

someone post some pictures for this guy, maybe he needs to see some pictures! lol...howmany times did you watch 8mile hommie? for real ! all detroit is not like that, you should go there.

here just check out the NH in detroit. Again when we say detroit is a shithole - it is by our standards - northamerican standrads - not by Iranian standards or any 3rd world, 2nd world or even many european standards. In fact 80% of world's population would live there in a heartbeat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neighborhoods_in_Detroit

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2002
i actually agree with this because in Tehram you cannot breath, have a decent place to run a 20k, you cant drive safely, woman are not equal as man, your freedom of speech can be taken away from you, you can get jailed easily, rents are too high, you need to be rich to buy this and that.... man living in Tehran just sucks

Bache Tehroon

Elite Member
Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
BT, seriously, given a choice, would you even think for a second between living in Detroit or Tehran?
Seriously, I would. I would choose to live in Tehran. Not Farmaanieh or Jordan either, somewhere half decent would be fine. Why the hell not? It's not ideal but it does provide a rich experience and ample business opportunity compared to Detroit.

Oct 18, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Aside from the Islamic Republic bullshit (which I personally find extremely hard to deal with after having lived in Canada for years), and the air pollution, what exactly is it that is so bad about Tehran?
Aren't the two you mentioned enough reason to avoid?

One can get you killed, the other can get you executed! And that's if you're lucky enough to survive the roads!

Mehran(ISP)

<b>Administrator</b>
Oct 16, 2002
MD, USA
I'm very much aware of the challenges of living in Tehran, but for f***'s sake, it's still one of the most attractive cities in the world with something for everyone. Even as a total foreigner, you'd find Tehran one hell of a beautiful metropolis with its own headaches. I don't see how any family would choose a shit-hole like Detroit over Tehran! Get outta here
I guess being Bache Tehroon, you would say something like that? you really think Tehran is more attractive than Detroit? You walk out for five minutes in Tehran and your cloth reek of smoke and smog, you can barely breathe when you walk out during the summer, that alone would over-ride any gun violence of any city.

InDaMoneyz

IPL Player
Mar 13, 2007
How many $10000 or less 3-4 br homes can you find in Tehran? Detroit is heavens you'all.

http://www.trulia.com/for_sale/Detr...2992,42.644610,-83.667362,-82.621738_xy/11_zm

Notice how unlike many other struggling cities those properties are nicely spread out all around the city.
well these are cheap properties primarily cause these are in terrible part of town. You can buy a decent house in a very decent part of town or suburbs for less than 200k.

At the advice of a friend I went to detroit to look at the market there around 2 years ago as I was looking for properties in US. I could not believe some of the neighbourhoods and suburbs and their markets. You could buy an imaculate executive 6000sqft 4 million$ property for around $500k ! and they were plenty of them around. in fact the same friend did buy a property there, and let me tell you in the long term it is a pretty decent investment as detroit will bounce back big in the next 10-15 years. In fact they have bounced back since 2 years ago I know that, my buddy is already up a couple of hundreds he tells me.

I personally opted for fortlaud. cause I wanted to use and enjoy the property as well, I could not see myself going back to detroit, but if you get a decent job there you can have a very good life. dont forget they got redwings, pistons, tigers and ok the shitty lions too.

Again dont forget, there are 10s and 100s of thousdands of middle class people working for multinational corporations, in offices out of detroit and they all live in decent neighbourhoods and suburbs. Its not all 8mile like bachetehroon thinks.

look at this mansion in good part of town you an probably get for 650k!!!!! an 11,000 sqft mansion

http://www.trulia.com/property/1050623895-1830-Balmoral-Dr-Detroit-MI-48203

look at this for less than 200k!!!!!! great neigbourhood,3500 sft. This in vancouver is cloe to 2 mill.

http://www.trulia.com/property/photos/3055652200-19305-Berkeley-Rd-Detroit-MI-48221#item-0

I actually feel pretty bad

Last edited:

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
Tehran doesnt deserve to be the second worst but i absolutely agree with IDM over the comparison between Tehran and Detroit. Man, Tehran is my home, i love it but its an insane place since the mullahs took over. Me personally i dont know any so called metroplitan and cosmpolitan city that big and at the same time that boring and prison like like tehran. What can people do afternoons? Other than going to the same shirni saraa, jigaraki, parke saai, paarke jamshidiyeh, ..and all that again and again and with tarso larz from sepah o basijo niroo entezaami? A 17 mio. city has way more to offer to be considered livable. Tehran, aside from elaahiye, o kaamraniye o niaavaroon o farmooniye where a few taaze be doraan reside o new rich people live, is all about an struggle and most of the times a useless struggle to put bred on the table and in alot of cases people fight and strive all day and still fail to reach the basic requirements to live a livable life in that atmosphere of khafeghoon.

InDaMoneyz

IPL Player
Mar 13, 2007
Aside from the Islamic Republic bullshit (which I personally find extremely hard to deal with after having lived in Canada for years), and the air pollution, what exactly is it that is so bad about Tehran?
on top of the fascist oppressive society? oh how about rude people, smelly dirty ugly hairy perverted and 90% ignorant people? for most part religious 'goosfands' , how about shit segragated schools and universities. lack of jobs or any future, how about hairy corrupt religious freaks running your governments, companies, schools and etc ? how about knowing for every rich friend you hang with in your uptown condo there are 20 that cant manage day to day and are dirt poor, sick and depressed. How about not being able to get anything done, how about not having the smallest sense of financial or social security ? how about the fact that you cant live the freakn country to anywhere you want? how about boys and girls freaky sexual behaviours that puts vegas to shame! how about all the ethnic people, fags and others who are tortured and made fuu of on daily basis. How about not making enough money and paying a lot for everything, how about having to sneak around to go to a party! how about the shitty looking city that is all but a bunch of condos now, what if a middle class person wants to live in a house to have a backyard? where are the trees and where to park your car ? ......let me know if thsi is enough

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2002
I don't know what their criteria was, but anyone who thinks Tehran is less livable than "Harareh, Zimbabweh" needs to have his head examined!

InDaMoneyz

IPL Player
Mar 13, 2007
Oh the irony...you are concerned about homosexuals being made fun of, yet you refer to them as fags? Nice!
first of all assuming I believe they are 'fags' cause I called them that for this particular purpose, you can at least be sure that I wont call them that in front of them and I surely wont abuse or treat them differently. I have hired fags - i mean gays without thinking twice about their orientation or being slightly bothered by it. Growing up with bunch of wops - i mean italians it was normal to call them that, but i'll try not to use it.

on another note: why the hell do you have to follow me everywhere? I thought I was on your 'ignore' list?!

Messi

IPL Player
Mar 14, 2007
on another note: why the hell do you have to follow me everywhere? I thought I was on your 'ignore' list?!
I was reading the thread whilst i was logged out so your post showed, but no worries, logged in now so I won't see your shit posts anymore.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2002
Sydney, Australia
I think the interesting thing here is that we are comparing arguably the most prosperous city Iran has to offer with perhaps the least prosperous major US city, and other than Soroush and maybe a couple of others, the majority of this forum would choose the least prosperous major US city!

Oct 18, 2002
I think the interesting thing here is that we are comparing arguably the most prosperous city Iran has to offer with perhaps the least prosperous major US city, and other than Soroush and maybe a couple of others, the majority of this forum would choose the least prosperous major US city!
Not surprising. Given a choice, would you prefer the best and roomiest cell in Evin prison, or the cheapest basement room in Sheraton?