Tehran, second worst city to live in the world

InDaMoneyz

IPL Player
Mar 13, 2007
I think the interesting thing here is that we are comparing arguably the most prosperous city Iran has to offer with perhaps the least prosperous major US city, and other than Soroush and maybe a couple of others, the majority of this forum would choose the least prosperous major US city!
But dude i'm telling you for fact that tehran is not even close to being detroit! Detroit beats tehran easily in every possible category that matters including the overall living standard, never mind freedom indices and all other stuff. In fact if you ever go there you will be amazed at the incredible life style you can have at cheap prices, guaranteed it beats the best Iran has to offer. From housing to education to arts and entertainment and dinning it has it all (that includes suburbs of detroit) Lets not even bother with the given social, political advantages and factors we already know about and the fact that people are generaly just nicer.

The city obviously does have many rough neighborhoods you dont have to deal with, but the main problem is that more and more people are moving out to the suburbs due to various reasons and people ofcourse dont want to invest and live in declining areas.

Detroit, buffalo and baltimore I find to be the roughest cities in US compared to everywhere else - and the bad rap doesnt help, but you still couldnt pay me enough to get me out of these cities and to tehran! at the end of the day I would still be in u s of a.

alila

National Team Player
Jun 9, 2006
a galaxy far far away
Don't scare me about living in Tehran
I'm opening a fashion clothes franchise in Tehran and I have to be there for the first couple of months before my sister takes over the management .

For the past 10 years I've only been back home maybe 5 months in total so I don't know about air pollution or things like that
I'm from 25th shahrivar square district ...amjadiye and bahar St ..not an up class bache shomal shahr I'm afraid

Bache Tehroon

Elite Member
Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
Don't scare me about living in Tehran
I'm opening a fashion clothes franchise in Tehran and I have to be there for the first couple of months before my sister takes over the management .

For the past 10 years I've only been back home maybe 5 months in total so I don't know about air pollution or things like that
I'm from 25th shahrivar square district ...amjadiye and bahar St ..not an up class bache shomal shahr I'm afraid
You will be just fine. You will laugh at all these people and their incredibly absurd comments. The air pollution is definitely a deterrent to long-term health and the religious bullshit is everywhere but under this ugly skin Tehran is still home to your heart. You can't replace the feeling Tehran gives you with anything. That feeling is worth quite a lot in my book.

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
Khoshtip haala be shemrooniha teekeh mindazi , I thought you said you were from Bagh Ferdows ?

PS . good luck with your fashion venture ,just trying to think what you will name your business ....how about Georgio Loungestani ?!

Bache Tehroon

Elite Member
Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
Some of you people scare me.

You speak of Tehran as if it's the promised hell for all the sinners. Give me a fucking break. Most of you know what I'm saying when I say Tehran is not much worse or better than most modern cities in today's world. Most of us who left Iran want to make ourselves feel better about our decision to leave by belittling everything that smells like Iran.

The truth is, while you were busy making those mortgage payments and car-lease payments doing 2-3 jobs in these glorious foreign cities, Tehran prospered despite the stinky Islamic regime and is a fairly livable metropolis. Maybe not as peaceful and clean as North American suburbs. Maybe not as flashy as Las Vegas. Maybe not as well preserved as Rome. Health-care is not as readily available as Scandinavian cities. Customer service is shit too. But it's fairly livable. And it provides ample business opportunities for those who are willing to take risks instead of buying US treasuries at 0% interest.

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
BT jan,
I tell you for a fact that if it weren't for my parents who live there I would never go back. There is never a time I sit here thinking that I miss anything about Iran that is of any significance. Until 5-6 years ago yes, I missed a few things but every time I went back and experienced those things they became less and less of a thing to miss.

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
Ample business opportunity? I am surprised to hear this one coming out of YOUR mouth to be honest BT jaan. This is what i usually hear from some opportunist ignorant iranians who dont give a fuck about whats going on in that country aslong as they can make money. Those guys are actually the worst of the worst as they come on with their dollars invest in IR exchanges, integrate themselves in the corrupt islamic system of bribery and chaaploosi, soon they start meeting with some mullahs and sepahis to get some people with influence backing them and provide party baazi, then they go to their 800 qm penthouses in ellahiye , drink hennesy and watch voa and mtv badmouth the regime and feel great. These are the guys who are keeping this regime together. Guys who take advantage of that ample business opportunity.

Oct 18, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Some of you people scare me.

You speak of Tehran as if it's the promised hell for all the sinners. Give me a fucking break. Most of you know what I'm saying when I say Tehran is not much worse or better than most modern cities in today's world. Most of us who left Iran want to make ourselves feel better about our decision to leave by belittling everything that smells like Iran.

The truth is, while you were busy making those mortgage payments and car-lease payments doing 2-3 jobs in these glorious foreign cities, Tehran prospered despite the stinky Islamic regime and is a fairly livable metropolis. Maybe not as peaceful and clean as North American suburbs. Maybe not as flashy as Las Vegas. Maybe not as well preserved as Rome. Health-care is not as readily available as Scandinavian cities. Customer service is shit too. But it's fairly livable. And it provides ample business opportunities for those who are willing to take risks instead of buying US treasuries at 0% interest.
Soroush jaan. I think what's making it liveable in your eyes is the nostalgia factor! In your own words, you're describing a city which is not peaceful, flashy or well preserved. health care is not readily available and customer service is shit. The smog will cause you health complications, the regime will give you the shits, if not for the nostalgia factor why would anyone want to live there???

Bache Tehroon

Elite Member
Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
Ample business opportunity? I am surprised to hear this one coming out of YOUR mouth to be honest BT jaan. This is what i usually hear from some opportunist ignorant iranians who dont give a fuck about whats going on in that country aslong as they can make money. Those guys are actually the worst of the worst as they come on with their dollars invest in IR exchanges, integrate themselves in the corrupt islamic system of bribery and chaaploosi, soon they start meeting with some mullahs and sepahis to get some people with influence backing them and provide party baazi, then they go to their 800 qm penthouses in ellahiye , drink hennesy and watch voa and mtv badmouth the regime and feel great. These are the guys who are keeping this regime together. Guys who take advantage of that ample business opportunity.
Azizjan, I fully acknowledge that it's impossible to make the really big bucks without mixing with the dirty bunch, but I know people who make a decent honest living in Iran and can keep their head up. A restaurant, clothing store, music school, cell-phone shop and things like that don't really require you to be a hardcore KHAYE-MAAL! The corruption in government offices is definitely there and you gotta pay your fair share of bribes, but that's the business norm in most of East Europe, Middle East and the rest of Asia. It's the unwritten tax law :) Here in Canada the government chokes you on taxes and feels no shame about it. Over there, you pay here and there but end up keeping most of your money without having to answer for it to any tax collecting motherfucker.

Again, the answer to fixing Iran's problems is not leaving the country and belittling it. You'll find more or less the same quantity of challenges living anywhere in the world.

Bache Tehroon

Elite Member
Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
Soroush jaan. I think what's making it liveable in your eyes is the nostalgia factor! In your own words, you're describing a city which is not peaceful, flashy or well preserved. health care is not readily available and customer service is shit. The smog will cause you health complications, the regime will give you the shits, if not for the nostalgia factor why would anyone want to live there???
Because the cities at the top of the list are not exactly worlds better than the city I feel nostalgic about! The challenges change their names and shape, but they're there no matter where you go.

I cannot claim I have a better life because I live in Canada. There are elements missing from my life that I can't quantify with clean-air, dollars or flashy downtown buildings. None of us can.

Bache Tehroon

Elite Member
Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
BT jan,
I tell you for a fact that if it weren't for my parents who live there I would never go back. There is never a time I sit here thinking that I miss anything about Iran that is of any significance. Until 5-6 years ago yes, I missed a few things but every time I went back and experienced those things they became less and less of a thing to miss.
I don't know if you're being honest with yourself about that bold part. It's a very bold claim!

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
Azizjan, I fully acknowledge that it's impossible to make the really big bucks without mixing with the dirty bunch, but I know people who make a decent honest living in Iran and can keep their head up. A restaurant, clothing store, music school, cell-phone shop and things like that don't really require you to be a hardcore KHAYE-MAAL! The corruption in government offices is definitely there and you gotta pay your fair share of bribes, but that's the business norm in most of East Europe, Middle East and the rest of Asia. It's the unwritten tax law :) Here in Canada the government chokes you on taxes and feels no shame about it. Over there, you pay here and there but end up keeping most of your money without having to answer for it to any tax collecting motherfucker.

Again, the answer to fixing Iran's problems is not leaving the country and belittling it. You'll find more or less the same quantity of challenges living anywhere in the world.
Well its not as easy as you think it is. Even to survive in small business you need to mix up with influencial people. you have to have party to be able to import your cloths or cellphones, you have to bribe on your way up to opening a shop in the first place. those branches are completely in sepahs hands. In baazaar you gotta have partiye koloft among influencial haaj aaghaas to let you make your business in there. Soroush badiye innaa ineke sirmoony nadaaran. Bade 35 saal chaapidan, hanoozam az 10 shey nemigzaran. Fekr nakob chon businesset koochike kaari be kaaret badaaran, daaran khoobam daaran. Mamlekati ke 40 darsadesh barahoote o be aab ehtiaaj daare, innaa daaran az oon ye khoorde aabesham pool dar miaara o be kuwait Emaaraat aab saader mikonan. Innaa az hichi o hich kassi ke arz o pool vaasashoon biaare nemigzaran.

alila

National Team Player
Jun 9, 2006
a galaxy far far away
Khoshtip haala be shemrooniha teekeh mindazi , I thought you said you were from Bagh Ferdows ?

PS . good luck with your fashion venture ,just trying to think what you will name your business ....how about Georgio Loungestani ?!
Shahriyar jan
I was born in HAshtroodian hospital in villa St and raised in 25th shahrivar and kheradmand St ...amjadiye ain't that far from that district but later we moved up north as family made more money which we were bache mahmoodiye ,,lol
Vali deep down I can't call myself bache shomal shahr...nothing even close to niloo and shemroon.

Again in UK .same story...raised in Yorkshire and Sheffield ,,,an Everton fan and then moved down to London ...hampstead Heath and now down kings road ,,,
Uni educated bloke and arty farty stuff but deep down a real chav..

Agha come to London if u can for a meet up and I call behrooz to take a day off from Uni and we go for a pint or more

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
I don't know if you're being honest with yourself about that bold part. It's a very bold claim!
Honestly, the only significant thing I have in Iran is my parents and if one day they are no longer around I see no reason to trek back twice a year. Nostalgia is nice but it's not necessary to revisit it. Some things are best kept in memory because if you try to seek them out you will be disappointed and the thing loses its appeal.

Shahriyar jan

Agha come to London if u can for a meet up and I call behrooz to take a day off from Uni and we go for a pint or more
Uni? My studies finished nearly 10 years ago mate. I am still at Uni, but working haaaaarrrddd :)

What happened to your move to the other side of the Atlantic?

Last edited:

alila

National Team Player
Jun 9, 2006
a galaxy far far away
BehrooZ jan
I know you are a full time lecturer agha ,,,very chak

Going to San Diego in nov leaving the island ,,,but starting a business in Iran as well so will be traveling a lot

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
Because the cities at the top of the list are not exactly worlds better than the city I feel nostalgic about! The challenges change their names and shape, but they're there no matter where you go.

I cannot claim I have a better life because I live in Canada. There are elements missing from my life that I can't quantify with clean-air, dollars or flashy downtown buildings. None of us can.
che khoob gofti aziz .... Be bachamoon chi begim? ke az kodoom velaayatim .... gedaayeh hagheh khodemmoon ...poshteh daraayeh ghorbatim ...

[video=youtube;8yscklfWFIU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yscklfWFIU&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

we have a long and glorious history ,lets not just look at the last 30 years ,we have had lots of ups and downs ,but we have always been and always will be there , through thick and thin .