Tehran Taboo - anyone seen it?

Nov 29, 2002
Has anyone seen this film? Is previewing for general release today, and comes out properly in the UK on Friday (has previously been shown in other places with limited release). I had tickets for the preview today at British Film Institute (alongside a Q+A with the director) but was far too tired after work so I'll get tickets for later on in the week probably. Sad to miss out on listening to the director but that's life.

It has the rotoscoping animation style, I really like this style (Waltz with Bashir, A Scanner Darkly)

I'm very interested in the director's quote: "I get a lot of positive feedback from Iranians living in Iran. The feedback from Iranians living outside Iran is rather negative. They are usually angry with the film. Because the film damages the image we present of ourselves to the West."

Here is the trailer:

They are usually angry with the film. Because the film damages the image we present of ourselves to the West."

Screw one by one of them, Bunch of fools who brag and boast about non-existent facts, worse than ISIS and a disgrace to each and every Iranian on planet earth.

I loved the trial, nothing but the true story of a destroyed nation. looking forward to the full version .

thanks for sharing

Fatso

Captain
Oct 1, 2004
Derivative. Fits into the narrative of Iran 20 years ago. The depressed "intellectual" crowd will love it.

A8K

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
fuck.ir
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tehran_Taboo

Tehran Taboo (in Persian تهران تابو) is a 2017 German-Austrian animated film directed by Ali Soozandeh.

Animated through rotoscope, the film tells the story of three women and a male musician living in Tehran and their desperate attempts at coping with Iran's strict religious laws and resulting double standards.[2] The film was screened in the International Critics' Weeksection at the 2017 Cannes Film Festival,[3][4] and was released in the United States in February 2018.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
I've seen it. Extremely different from regular Iranian films. I can imagine Iranians in Iran think it's interesting.

and yes.....I do wish it was not displayed in front of foreigners.

Pooya

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 23, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.IranSportsPress.com
and yes.....I do wish it was not displayed in front of foreigners.
This is in MY Opinion our problem. Until when are we going to live in the shadow of Koroush and Dariush? Dude the film is who we are NOW, you can go say we have over 3000 years of history, culture etc. so what? what do we have NOW ? until we , ALL of us, wake up from this dream and realize what our country is now, until those who "claim" they care for iran head back to iran to build it, those inside iran actually care for Iran instead of lining up infront of Australian embassy then we see change.

AZ MAAST KE BAR MAAST. :) We live in this bubble , we think Iran is still 2500 years ago iran , I swear if you ask some, they say dont say iran, say "Persian Empire" !

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
Has anyone seen this film? Is previewing for general release today, and comes out properly in the UK on Friday (has previously been shown in other places with limited release). I had tickets for the preview today at British Film Institute (alongside a Q+A with the director) but was far too tired after work so I'll get tickets for later on in the week probably. Sad to miss out on listening to the director but that's life.

It has the rotoscoping animation style, I really like this style (Waltz with Bashir, A Scanner Darkly)

I'm very interested in the director's quote: "I get a lot of positive feedback from Iranians living in Iran. The feedback from Iranians living outside Iran is rather negative. They are usually angry with the film. Because the film damages the image we present of ourselves to the West."

Here is the trailer:

Saw it at a festival. Thought it was alright. Didn't think it was that depressing. Showed Tehran as a city with people having (also) the same troubles as everywhere else just multiplied for various reasons. That's quite important.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
This is in MY Opinion our problem. Until when are we going to live in the shadow of Koroush and Dariush? Dude the film is who we are NOW, you can go say we have over 3000 years of history, culture etc. so what? what do we have NOW ? until we , ALL of us, wake up from this dream and realize what our country is now, until those who "claim" they care for iran head back to iran to build it, those inside iran actually care for Iran instead of lining up infront of Australian embassy then we see change.

AZ MAAST KE BAR MAAST. :) We live in this bubble , we think Iran is still 2500 years ago iran , I swear if you ask some, they say dont say iran, say "Persian Empire" !
I had the same sentiment as yours until recently. Until I managed to overhear this Swedish university professor who works in Oman and is in close collaboration with Iran, talking to a Swedish colleague. He was saying when you're in Oman you see that they still have this nomadic mentality in them. but as soon as you enter Iran, everything changes. First of all, people are so good at their work but from their mentalities you can really see there is over 3000 years of civilization in that land.

That didn't only make me change my opinion, it also made me f***ing proud! Yes, we do have cultural problems. Lots of it too. but we are also among the most civilized people on the planet. That is why you see Iranians dominating university classes among all other foreigners in most western countries. That is why you see them having quite well-paid jobs and/or high positions everywhere compared to other foreigners.

While I agree we should try harder to fix our cultural problems, we still should be f***ing proud!!!

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
^ I feel proud as we have the highest brain escape of this world.
and yet we have so many brains still working in Iran. Damn right it makes you feel proud that we have such a highly educated people. .

Pooya

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 23, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.IranSportsPress.com
I never said we are uneducated people, we are 100%, but we do NOT love Iran, we don't care, we PRETEND to care but we don't. All those who are educated and live in Iran have "ONE" goal in mind "How do I get out of Iran?" and all those who are uneducated, work 4 jobs to make ends meet and hope they get rewarded when they die and go to heaven.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
I never said we are uneducated people, we are 100%,
That in itself is a sign of how civilized we are! Otherwise, just like Turks, Arabs, etc. we would prefer to start to work right after (or even before) high school to make money from early ages.

Just trying to lift up the differences in culture and mentality between us and many other nations.

Love of the country? We never truly loved it and that is evident through history.

A8K

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
fuck.ir
Mostly agree with you but IRan is also a nice place for making good $ for a lot of people.. Many doctors have head home.. many not as 1000s but a good number set up worry-free business and make very close amount of money to their western income.

Now my question is what % of brains inside have alliance with the IR.

\
I never said we are uneducated people, we are 100%, but we do NOT love Iran, we don't care, we PRETEND to care but we don't. All those who are educated and live in Iran have "ONE" goal in mind "How do I get out of Iran?" and all those who are uneducated, work 4 jobs to make ends meet and hope they get rewarded when they die and go to heaven.

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
Those brains go a long way driving Snap.
Pure bullshit claims on Iran being full of "brains". There's absolutely no scientific evidence of Iranian general public having a meaningful advantage in intelligence or practical application of their education.

I'm actually convinced a scientific study would reveal some stark realities.

If people wanna be proud, they can, but they shouldn't be proud of fairytales or kos-sher.

Pooya

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 23, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.IranSportsPress.com
گناهِ هر چی که گذشت...به گردن ما بود و هست

از ما اگر بُتی شکست...بت های تازه جاش نشست

هیچ کس به غیر از خودِ ما...از خودِ ما فریب نخورد

هیچ کس به غیر از خودِ ما...ما رو به بیراهه نبرد

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Pure bullshit claims on Iran being full of "brains". There's absolutely no scientific evidence of Iranian general public having a meaningful advantage in intelligence or practical application of their education.

I'm actually convinced a scientific study would reveal some stark realities.

If people wanna be proud, they can, but they shouldn't be proud of fairytales or kos-sher.
I gave you the proof from the Swedish professor's own words. I'm not talking about the so called brains who drive snap but the actual brains who are on top of science in Iran. and yes there are a lot of them there.

You do feel proud when you hear relevant non-Iranians without an actual agenda, saying what that professor said. After all, he works with them. There wont be any better proof/evidence than that!