Tehran Taboo - anyone seen it?

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
Swedish professor's own words
It's okay to feel good about nice things someone says about Iranians they've worked with, but it's no different than someone praising your cooking. It's the same as someone saying "Iranians are idiots because this group of Iranians I worked with were all morons". It's prejudice mixed with dumbness and means nothing.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
It's okay to feel good about nice things someone says about Iranians they've worked with, but it's no different than someone praising your cooking. It's the same as someone saying "Iranians are idiots because this group of Iranians I worked with were all morons". It's prejudice mixed with dumbness and means nothing.
I think for someone who's lived in Oman for several years and has a vast collaboration with different universities in Iran (not just a group of people), it's safe to say he's seen enough and his comparisons come from experience! Of course the type of people he meets are academic people which do not tell the whole story about Iran but then again, he meets the same type of people in Oman and elsewhere he works with. So the comparisons are totally eligible. I'm sorry man but your examples and analogies don't fit in the situation. I don't know how you came up with them without knowing the details of the story.

I will stress again, Iran and Iranians have millions of cultural problems which need to be fixed. I was probably the first person mentioning that in this forum many years ago. That's something no one can deny. but credit should also be given when it's due and consequently pride should not be something to be ashamed of when it's due!

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
pride should not be something to be ashamed of
Actually it is for the most part. Very rarely is pride justified or morally appropriate. In Iran's case, pride is perhaps the biggest item to be ashamed of. Specially today.

45 years ago, Shah used pride as a tool to counter Western supremacy ideologies. He truly wanted to put them in their place via massive festivals, high profile interviews and bold economic moves. He was successful to a small degree, but many people mistook this as the reality of Iran.

Today, it's inappropriate for Iran or Iranians to exercise pride. It's arrogant and self-defeating.

Last edited:

A8K

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
fuck.ir
^ yea when everything else is lacking and you just have pride, it's irresponsible, idiotic and immature.

Pride tends to hide a lot of shortcomings in an average person; I notice that a lot in Los Angeles with the Mexican working class.
Iranians somehow follow the same pattern.

Am also amazed that good % of Iranians are quick to judge and make fun or take issue when others behavior/manners/culture are different than our own set ways; like our way was sent direct from the gods and others astray. The shite system and sonat seem to make them believe that it's their way or highway.

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
agha why do people care so much about how a foreigner sees Iranians and especially Iranians compared to other people in the region? Who fucking cares? Why do we need affirmation of outsiders/foreigners to make ourselves feel better?
No self-worth. Very epidemic in Iran and truly sad. The country has been paying for it for centuries with no end or relief in sight.