The 2020-21UEFA Champions League thread, Results, News & updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
I also hope for PSG. It's time for them to win.

but as long as the English teams are eliminated before the final, I'll be satisfied.

Pooya

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 23, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.IranSportsPress.com
Liverpool didn't have a chance at home without their fans. With fans inside, they could have done what they did to Barcelona two years ago.
Yeah, With Fans Real could have scored 5 more in Madrid! comeon man!
I was watching the post game, and they kept saying, FANS would make a difference, FANS bla bla, as if they game in Madrid was played with FANS!

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
I was watching the post game, and they kept saying, FANS would make a difference, FANS bla bla, as if they game in Madrid was played with FANS!
Looleh shodan raft :D

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
It's to do with the atmosphere that the Liverpool fans create. What I am saying is that Liverpool, even at their best, were pushed by their fans a lot. The fact that this season they have fallen so far in all competitions, specially at home, has much to do with their empty stadium. No other big team has fallen so spectacularly since the lockdown.

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
It's to do with the atmosphere that the Liverpool fans create. What I am saying is that Liverpool, even at their best, were pushed by their fans a lot. The fact that this season they have fallen so far in all competitions, specially at home, has much to do with their empty stadium. No other big team has fallen so spectacularly since the lockdown.
Not that i think Liverpool would have been able to eliminiate Real with fans, but i agree that liverpool or english teams in general are very dependent on the fans and atmosphere which in many cases helps them overcome their technical short comings against south european and specially spanish opponents. Without fans that extra push and adrenalin is missing and as a result teams like liverpool find themselves on the losing end of matches against overall better footballers of likes of Real.

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
Not that i think Liverpool would have been able to eliminiate Real with fans, but i agree that liverpool or english teams in general are very dependent on the fans and atmosphere which in many cases helps them overcome their technical short comings against south european and specially spanish opponents. Without fans that extra push and adrenalin is missing and as a result teams like liverpool find themselves on the losing end of matches against overall better footballers of likes of Real.
To me it doesn't make sense, I think they are just not playing good soccer and have become predictable, Injury has also had a good effect on Liverpool.
The reason I say is the due to following facts:

[1] The same Liverpool team played great football half a season last year in empty stadiums and in fact they played well even 1/2 of this season
[2] Liverpool is doing very well in away games and not at home
[3] There are multiple English teams in semfinal of Champions League and Europa league.
[4] Majority of players of the top teams are not English

I mean if you argue a mid tier English team doesn't perform I would understand but not in this case. At this stage, Liverpool even can't beat mid-tier teams consistently and they are doing much better away than home, so again "Team is not performing, bring some juice to the team coach"

Last edited:

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
To me it doesn't make sense, I think they are just not playing good soccer and have become predictable, Injury has also had a good effect on Liverpool.

[1] The same Liverpool team played great football half a season last year in empty stadiums and in fact they played well in the beginning season
[2] There are multiple English teams in sem-final of Champions League and Europa league
I think Behrooz was talking a general point and i agree. I also agree that this liverpool team is simply not the team of the past but while fans are important to all teams, english teams generally always seem to get an extra boost from their fans and liverpool is no exception. I am absolutely happy to see them being kicked out of the competition but fan support probably has more of an impact on the english teams level of effort than on non english teams.

Nov 24, 2002
He got more Iranians to play in Portugal, even someone like Moghanlou who is maybe not good enough for Persepolis.

Last edited by a moderator:

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa

[1] The same Liverpool team played great football half a season last year in empty stadiums and in fact they played well even 1/2 of this season
[2] Liverpool is doing very well in away games and not at home
[3] There are multiple English teams in semfinal of Champions League and Europa league.
[4] Majority of players of the top teams are not English

I mean if you argue a mid tier English team doesn't perform I would understand but not in this case. At this stage, Liverpool even can't beat mid-tier teams consistently and they are doing much better away than home, so again "Team is not performing, bring some juice to the team coach"
I am not saying it's all down to the empty stadium. For sure they are not playing the same football that they played a year ago. There are different reasons for this which Klopp has to solve. But the fans at Anfield have always been a significant factor. More so than any other club. If you look at Barcelona two years ago, I fully believe that without fans they wouldn't have won 4-0. I am not saying they would have beaten Real on Wednesday, just that they would have had a much better chance.

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
All in all the fan behaviour in spain differs vastly from england. Playing without fans, does not have the same impact on the spanish teams as teams in spain are used to much calmer atmospheres anyway. I remember how i could still hear the sound of the ball while being passed around by Barca players even in a packed stadium. A side from a certain number of fans, the rest of spanish spectators do come to have a nice evening watching football in a calm atmosphere and go home in peace. The english are different. They are loud throughout the whole game and teams that are used to such an atmosphere do miss it when all of a sudden everythings calm and silent.

Khabalood

Elite Member
Sep 26, 2004
Toronto
Iran never ever had two world class forwards at the same time. Never
This is the first time we are spoiled to have both Sardar and Taremi.
Iran by far has the best forward core in Asia that guys like Karim, Kaveh, Allahyar warming the bench and like Alipour, Zahedi, Mehrdad Mohammadi don't get the call.
Most of these guys would have started 10years a go.
In other hand we suck big time in central midfielder, even worst than Queiroz debut.
Forward and goalkeeping are our most improved followed by wingers and defense.
The whole world is having a problem developing CM's. DM are common, but a good CM is hard to find. A classic number 10 is ever rarer now.

Football has moved more towards wing play and with less reliance on classic playmakers.

Also neither Sardar or Taremi are world class players. Lets be honest, they are good strikers but they are not elite level.

Khabalood

Elite Member
Sep 26, 2004
Toronto
Azizi had the same problem that 99% of all Iranians do. Lack of discipline, koon goshadi and khod gondeh bini (2500 years of civilization, Cyrus the great ....)
Biggest problems Irani players have is being Irani and having to deal with all the bullsheet both in Iran and outside Iran that comes along with that. I guarantee you that both players options for clubs was SEVERLY limited due to sanctions and that's just the tip of the problems they had to overcome. If for example Azizi was Portuguese he would have been playing in Man U (probably as a sub or something) by his early 20's.

Don't forget Daei also comes from a family where his father wouldn't let him focus on football. It was always secondary in his life after his studies. He wasn't allowed to turn pro until after completing his degree. By that time he was already 24 if I remember correctly. Daei definitely had world class talent, and he is the only world class striker Iran has ever produced. He is underappreciated for what he accomplished.

Status
Not open for further replies.