The biggest difference between this uprising and the one 3 decades ago

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
THERE IS NO SAVAK!

This fact alone will make this revolution a lot more viable and less costly than the one in 79.

I.R might be a lot more ruthless and militaristic than Shah, but they never managed to infiltrate through the masses in secret.

Under Shah, brothers were ratting out each other, sons were ratting out their fathers, but today, we see a very united majority fighting the very visibly armed and identifiable minority. This is great.

There's no going back.

YePaDoPa

Elite Member
Oct 30, 2002
Good point and a reminder for those Shahi and MK lovers not to even think about having it your way. People are a lot more aware of situation than they were 30 years ago. This time around we would not accept anything less than a true rule of people.

Kian Pars

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2005
You know what the biggest similarity is? That people will steal this revolution as the islamists stole it from people 30 years ago.

shahinc

Legionnaire
May 8, 2005
1) IR seems to be alot more savage than Shah.2) Opposition groups in 70's enjoyed the forign support and their propaganda mashines while this time, it seems like forign powers are trying to stay out of this.I think this time the task is alot harder than 30 years ago.

Amir

Bench Warmer
Mar 8, 2005
THERE IS NO SAVAK!

This fact alone will make this revolution a lot more viable and less costly than the one in 79.

I.R might be a lot more ruthless and militaristic than Shah, but they never managed to infiltrate through the masses in secret.

Under Shah, brothers were ratting out each other, sons were ratting out their fathers, but today, we see a very united majority fighting the very visibly armed and identifiable minority. This is great.

There's no going back.
one thing i always wanted to know is around how many ppl died as a result the last revolution? would you happen to know by any chance?

The_Referee

National Team Player
Mar 26, 2005
Jabolqa Opposite Jabolsa
I think the biggest difference is that Shah had come to power by a coup but IRI thugs came to power initially by power of people and then they stole the power.

SAVAKIs were ruthless and powerful at the beginning. But overwhelming people's power and religious networks countered that easily. This time round religious circles are not all behind people. In fact, many of them are supporting the regime. Also as rightly pointed out, there are equivalent of SAVAKIs there now.

However, I am not sure if this makes things any easier or harder. It is just different. I am just hoping that the experience of 1979 make people avoid the same mistakes, i.e. leaving the scene to a bunch of thugs. Maybe this time, USA and all will be our friends after the big change rather than giving all ammunition possible to the usurpers to suppress people further. Hopefully there will be no hostage taking or blaming this and that foreign power this time.

The_Referee

National Team Player
Mar 26, 2005
Jabolqa Opposite Jabolsa
one thing i always wanted to know is around how many ppl died as a result the last revolution? would you happen to know by any chance?
Less than 2000. Ref. to IRI's own official records by Bonyade Shahid.
I am not saying 2000 is not a big number though. Even one drop of blood is too many. But it was not the blown up number of 70,000 mentioned before and after revolution.

RoozbehAzadi

National Team Player
Nov 19, 2002
I think the biggest difference is that those within the system, like Mousavi, Khatami, Rafsanjani, Karroubi, etc.. are part of the fight against the system now, while 30 years ago it was just the people against the government. So in a way it's an advantage, more so than if all those who are against Burrito now were on his side and the people had to go against all of them.

Another big difference is that Burrito has shown, unlike the shah, that he's not willing to give in one inch. I think he looked back and thought that the shah made a mistake in giving in too much, thinking maybe he would've stayed in power otherwise. But what he's doing is actually hastening his downfall, not holding it steady.

And last but not least is the technological change. That's a HUGE HUGE difference from 30 years ago, and I'm sure that there would've been at least 5 times, maybe 10 times as many people dead if the technological situation was similar to 30 years ago.

zoozanagheh

Bench Warmer
Feb 6, 2005
I think at some point Qotbzadeh (who was accomponying Khomeini in Paris, and after revolution became the head of TV and later foriegn minister for while, he was executed by Khomeini for attempting to stage a coup) had claimed about 70,000 were killed (including those who lost their life fighting shah years before he was overthrown), but the number was highly inflamed and was reduced but I do not remember the final number.

Iran-Parast

Bench Warmer
Apr 21, 2008
Canada
also, sepah is pretty divided, unlike shah's army. the army joined people at the very end. another thing is that even priniplists such as ali larijani, mohsen rezaie and qalibauf are against dr poop. thus principlists are not even all together

RoozbehAzadi

National Team Player
Nov 19, 2002
also, sepah is pretty divided, unlike shah's army. the army joined people at the very end. another thing is that even priniplists such as ali larijani, mohsen rezaie and qalibauf are against dr poop. thus principlists are not even all together
This is very true. You could see in Burrito's sermon that Larijani kept looking down whenever they camera was on him, as if he was embarrassed and/or depressed.

mashtnaghi

National Team Player
Oct 18, 2002
No, the biggest difference is you, the generation that is passionate and knowledgeable, the generation that knows what freedom means and how it can be taken away. Thirty years ago it was all passion and beautiful hearts full of dreams of what freedom may look like.

It may not be today, it may not be tomorrow, but it is in our hearts and destined to be here.

آفتاب تا ابد پشت ابر نخواهد ماند.

Apr 15, 2016
Suisse
The only difference was the lack of american support. Period.
1979 the US stepped in, to bring us more islam
2009 people asked for less islam so the US stood put and backed the ruling islamists.

Americans only help those uprisings to succeed ,where there is a clear chance to establish more islam and favorably even radical islamism. Be it shia or sunni, they dont care, they help the radicals of both sides.

Fat_Ali2006

Bench Warmer
Apr 24, 2006
Wow, nice... "It may not be today, it may not be tomorrow, but it is in our hearts and destined to be here. " I want to see it...the sooner the better, I've been away way to long, I hope your comments about today's youth are right on, because that's all we have, the old farts that created this mess wont be any help.

Apr 15, 2016
Suisse
Dont hold your breath about the newer generations. If the older generation was responsible for this mess, the newer generations are responsible for cooperating with and carrying this regime along for 40 years. If the older generation made one mistake, the generations after, are doing countless mistakes over 40 decades and counting. The new generation is the one that goes to US and Europe as a so called political refugee, lies like there is no tommorow, gets the US and european passport and citizenship as a result, and then gets back to IR embassy to get their new IR passport just in order to go there and make business, just in order to go and invest.
The new generation of iranians is without any principles. If making money means to obey to IR, they do. All that talk about prisoners and those who are getting killed and tortured,...has become less and less frequent and have lost all its true meaning. No one really cares. No one actually wants to know any more.

The generations after the one that made that one mistake have been a lot more disgusting and coward.

Last edited:

AFRIRAN

IPL Player
Jun 8, 2010
"This Uprising " ???? it seems i have a short memory ... or maybe i didn't weight Mousavi kos khol at all to count it as revolution as Dassh BT did.

two points , 1979 was not uprising was a pre-planned , well crafted coup against secular system of shah, as usual the big brother used sheeps marching in the streets for media propaganda , 2009 was also nothing even close to uprising , it was very well planned push to legalizing advanced public surveillance system and to be tested in real ,Mousavi jaakesh never been in to changing regime or in to soften the edge of Islamic side of it .