Picking a Movie for tonight

Feb 4, 2005
Aziz, kolbeye darvishi ma ghable shoma ro nadare but it has proven to be an effective refuge ...................

Just let me know when :)
LOL! mokhlesam biAzar jAn. I may take the offer as in two weeks my sister-in-law, her hubby, my brother-in-law and his wife will be visiting too. I even asked my boss today if they plan to open a branch in Baghdad or Kandhar and need someone to be there he can count on me!!! Joke aside I am one of the luckiest guys in the world when it comes to in-laws. I do love them like my own parents/brother.

Last edited:

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
I miss the time when actors were actors, they acted. Brilliant people like Brando, John Wayne, Humphrey Bogart, Paul Newman, Robert Redford, Anthony Hopkins, Steve McQueen, Sean Connery, Robert De Niro etc....

These days it seems it's all about special effects and what some computer geeks can do with technology to make believe. I mean that shit Avatar was the biggest pile of horse manure ever, it was the biggest insult to those great actors of the past. No acting whatsoever involved with it.

I am not saying Inception is like this, just a general disappointment with all the recent stuff coming out of hollywood.

Nov 29, 2002
Seriously... kiss my ass. Both of you.
Easy there sunstar, lumping me and someone else together.

Anyway... You never had that experience? Of people saying something is the "best thing ever" and then you have massively raised expectations which dull the enjoyment of the film.

Or conversely, having poor (or uncertain) expectations and finding they weren't quite justified.

I miss the time when actors were actors, they acted. Brilliant people like Brando, John Wayne, Humphrey Bogart, Paul Newman, Robert Redford, Anthony Hopkins, Steve McQueen, Sean Connery, Robert De Niro etc....

These days it seems it's all about special effects and what some computer geeks can do with technology to make believe. I mean that shit Avatar was the biggest pile of horse manure ever, it was the biggest insult to those great actors of the past. No acting whatsoever involved with it.

I am not saying Inception is like this, just a general disappointment with all the recent stuff coming out of hollywood.
Aside from the artistic drought, it's been years since I went to a theatre and somewhat enjoyed a movie. I don't even look for good performances or decent storylines anymore. I've given up.

What year was "An Unfinished Life" released? Maybe about a decade ago...

Sep 25, 2004
Toronto
Incredible movie...I enjoyed it more than Dark Knight to be honest and i'm a big fan of Nolan. There was less acting with Di Caprio playing the type of role he's played in most his movies recently, but the story is compelling. I think everyone will enjoy it even if you don't find it to be brilliant no matter how bitter you are over the lack of artistic acting talents in recent decades.

ehsan

Legionnaire
Oct 18, 2002
anyone see the blind side?
that movie made me realize ive been investing in the wrong markets...stock/real estate suck.

I should be investing in adoptable large black teenagers, in hopes of turning them into nba/nfl stars
my return on investment would be huge....I need 1 out of 5 to become succesfull and mega profitable!!

Oct 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA USA
Nolan is probably the best director in Hollywood right now... The Prestige is one of my favorite movies as well...

As for the acting and effects convo... Its the same thing once electronic instruments came into the picture. If used right and used well, they become part of the story rather than the story itself. AS for this movie... Was done right. You cant tell a story like this with acting alone. Sci-fi doesnt work without some level of added effects. The trick is to add it right and in a way where it doesnt become distracting...

Last edited:

Intoxicated

Bench Warmer
Dec 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada

I disagree. i still think there are just as many if not more good movies being produced as 50 years ago. it's just that nowadays there are many many low quality movies produced as well. Furthermore, unfortunately it’s Hollywood that produces most of these intellectually low quality movies and makes it more readily available to us. In addition to rare Hollywood production a good percentage of films that come into film festivals are great IMO.
as for the great actors many people say De Niro or al pacino were amazing actors ...i personally think they were only amazing in limited rolls and definitely not well rounded. 99% of the rolls/character they played was more or less the same. on the other hand you have di caprio who has successfully filled variety of rolls and characters beautifully.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
I disagree. i still think there are just as many if not more good movies being produced as 50 years ago. it's just that nowadays there are many many low quality movies produced as well. Furthermore, unfortunately it’s Hollywood that produces most of these intellectually low quality movies and makes it more readily available to us. In addition to rare Hollywood production a good percentage of films that come into film festivals are great IMO.
as for the great actors many people say De Niro or al pacino were amazing actors ...i personally think they were only amazing in limited rolls and definitely not well rounded. 99% of the rolls/character they played was more or less the same. on the other hand you have di caprio who has successfully filled variety of rolls and characters beautifully.

Di Caprio proved his acting ability to me, not the least in "What's eating Gilbert Grape". But are you seriously saying he's a better actor than Robert Deniro and Al Pacino?

You're saying 99% of the characters they've played were the same....but how many movies have you really seen with let's say Robert Deniro?