Picking a Movie for tonight

Toofan

Elite Member
Nov 14, 2004
Qom
www.toofan.org
Were you able to get this as a set? or did you have to buy each individually?
www.bookdepository.co.uk .. they have free shipping to almost all countries. just do a search for tintin and choose if you want hardback or paperback. :)

the only thing they didnt have is the oriignal tintin in congo. the balck/white one that was full of racist thing, but i ordered that from another bookshop :)

Behrang(ISP)

King of Posts
Oct 16, 2002
www.iransportspress.com
Here's the info I found about it. Gonna see if I can find it on a torrent. Has anyone seen it?

Set in contemporary Iran in the unseen world of Iranian youth culture, filled with underground parties, sex, drugs and defiance, 'Circumstance' is the story of two vivacious young girls -- wealthy Atafeh and orphaned Shireen -- discovering their burgeoning sexuality and, like 16-year-old girls anywhere, struggling with their desires and the boundaries placed upon them by the world they were born into.

Genre(s):
Drama

Run Time:
107min.

Theatrical Release Date:
08/26/2011

DVD Release Date:
12/13/2011

Distributor(s):
Roadside Attractions, Mongrel Media (Canada), Participant Media

Director(s):
Maryam Keshavarz

Starring:
Nikohl Boosheri , Sarah Kazemy , Reza Sixo Safai , Soheil Parsa , Nasrin Pakkhoo

Country of Origin:
USA - Limited (08-26-2011),Canada (10-07-2011)

Language:
Farsi

Natural

IPL Player
May 18, 2003
The film was abhorrently awful. The acting was artificial and seemed forced. Editing cinematography and almost every other aspect was lacking good taste.

The director seems to have wanted to climb the ladder of fame faster by using a taboo subject set in an oppressed middle eastern country knowing that these kinds of films get huge attention from western film festival goers. I truly felt like my intelligence was insulted after watching it. probably one of the most insincere
films i've ever seen that yelled out to me so clearly that the director really didn't have any passion about the subject matter and might have only done it for fame or other personal gains.

May 9, 2004

زمان شاه وقتی برخی از کارگردان ها می امدند و فیلم های خوب و پر معنی مثل گاو یا اقای هالو
را می ساختند ملت عقب افتاده وسط فیلم بلند میشندند و می رفتن و سانس بعدی صندلها خالی بود و فیلم سودی نمی کرد
ولی برای فیلمهای کارگردان هایی که می امدند و فروزان را می بردند روی پیست رقص
یا ناصر ملک مطیعی تو کافه باچاقو میزد شکم یه نفر را پاره میکرد
مردم توی صف بیلط دعوا می کردند
و بازار سیاه میشد
کارگردان ها مجبور بودند حتی اگر فیلم موضوع خوبی داشت وسط کار چند تا شورت سیاه یا سفید نشون ملت بدهند
تا ضرر نکنند
از هر صد فیلم ایران نود ونو تاش کلاه مخملیه عاشق رقاصه تو کافه می شد و رقاصه شرتش پیدا می شد
و بعد هم اب توبه میریخت رو سرش
تا ننه ها مون هم از فیلم یه جورهایی تعریف کنند
الان هم این نوع فیلمها هرچند زرق و برق بیشتری دارد و و شرت های بیشتری نشون داده میشه ولی فرقی با ان دسته از فیلمهای کافه ای وداش مشتی نداره
کارگردان یا برای شهرت یا برای پول میاد یک فیلم میسازه
و بعدش هم توی مصاحبه اش قمپز در میکنه که بله فیلمم را خیلی معنی و مفهومش والایی دارد
این نوع فیلهما با ان نوع فیلمها فرق زیادی نداره

[video=youtube;mUUYCB9C4us]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUUYCB9C4us&feature=related[/video]

Behrang(ISP)

King of Posts
Oct 16, 2002
www.iransportspress.com
I downloaded it late last night and watch it. It's interesting to see everyone's replies. I don't think it was overly sexualized when it comes to the standard of western movies but it was the first time I saw an Iranian movie attack the subject it did in the way it did. I personally thought the movie was okay. I did not come out of it disliking it or liking it. It was just another movie. If the director wanted to get attention I don’t think they would have shot it in Farsi. It was interesting to watch.

Natural

IPL Player
May 18, 2003
I downloaded it late last night and watch it. It's interesting to see everyone's replies. I don't think it was overly sexualized when it comes to the standard of western movies but it was the first time I saw an Iranian movie attack the subject it did in the way it did. I personally thought the movie was okay. I did not come out of it disliking it or liking it. It was just another movie. If the director wanted to get attention I don’t think they would have shot it in Farsi. It was interesting to watch.
what did you think about the acting?

also, what did you think about how life in Tehran was portrayed? did it seem realistic to you? im not necessarily talking about the plot, but the atmosphere and the small details that are important for any films. (i.e. the club scene)

btw, the western festival goers dont mind subtitles.. i never said she wanted to get attention from the general public, only the small group of festival goers.. which is always the best platform for new filmmakers to get the attention of the industry people. The name recognition among that crowd will help you immensely with your future projects as a filmmaker.

The film has won the Audience Award at Sundance. that's a game changer for the filmmaker.

and I read somewhere she's working on a trilogy on Iran. she's probably like lets milkkkkkkkkkkkkkk this as much as possible :p

Last edited:

Behrang(ISP)

King of Posts
Oct 16, 2002
www.iransportspress.com
what did you think about the acting?
I actually did not think the acting was that bad to be honest. Could it have been better? Yeah, but your not dealing with professional actors from what I understand. I mean the actors in this film did not have any other credits to their name when I did a simple search.

also, what did you think about how life in Tehran was portrayed? did it seem realistic to you? im not necessarily talking about the plot, but the atmosphere and the small details that are important for any films. (i.e. the club scene)
it was not realistic but in most films it's never realistic but then again what would i know i've only been back to iran once and that was 6 years ago and I never went to a house party lol.

btw, the western festival goers dont mind subtitles.. i never said she wanted to get attention from the general public, only the small group of festival goers.. which is always the best platform for new filmmakers to get the attention of the industry people. The name recognition among that crowd will help you immensely with your future projects as a filmmaker.

The film has won the Audience Award at Sundance. that's a game changer for the filmmaker.

and I read somewhere she's working on a trilogy on Iran. she's probably like lets milkkkkkkkkkkkkkk this as much as possible :p
I agree she's going to milk it as much as possible but that's what any director would do. They want to get publicity so they can get money for their next movie. If you take a step back and look at the movie with a non-iranian mind then I think its a good movie. At the end of the day it does not reflect negatively on us where other movies have. If you are trying to look at the movie to show something historical or have some type of positive message well it fails at that. I think it's all got to do with what you want to get out of the movie.

Apr 30, 2003

امروز سه شنبه ۲۴ ژانویه، نامزدهای جوایز اسکار سال ۲۰۱۲ اعلام شدند. فیلم ایرانی جدایی نادر از سیمین در دو بخش فیلمنامه تالیفی (اوریژینال) و بخش بهترین فیلم غیر زبان انگلیسی نامزد شده است. این برای نخستین بار است که فیلمی از ایران در دو رشته نامزد جایزه اسکار می شود.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/persian/arts/2012/01/120124_l41_cinema_oscar_nominations_2012_announced.shtml

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
That's great! Although I believe it should have AT LEAST been nominated for the best main actor as well. Peyman Moadi was fantastic. that goes to supporting actor Shahab Hosseini too.

I still don't get the big fuss around this movie. Iran has produced much more excellent flicks than this simple sided Movie. I just don't get it
The other excellent movies have mostly been about very Iran specific problems. In this movie the problems are more global. but I agree with you! Although I still think it's a very good movie, it's not all that at this level. I think politics could play a small part in this as well. ;)

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2002
That's great! Although I believe it should have AT LEAST been nominated for the best main actor as well. Peyman Moadi was fantastic. that goes to supporting actor Shahab Hosseini too.

The other excellent movies have mostly been about very Iran specific problems. In this movie the problems are more global. but I agree with you! Although I still think it's a very good movie, it's not all that at this level. I think politics could play a small part in this as well. ;)
oh yes it has indeed a political statement like leaving the country as not seeing any future there anymore, or just add two or three channels like Parazit what about at the end that Koran was the reason justice succeeded... using Koran in Iran is all about politics ... do not use an arabic word, use the farsi explanation....At the end, I would actually call this movie one of the most controversial movie in last years because many topics like poverty, law, democracy, liberty, woman rights, adoloscence, ...just name it....

pendar

Bench Warmer
Oct 17, 2002
T dot
www.legofish.com
great movie and great news. I'm gonna pull an 'old man' saying and say that I predicted this more than 6 months ago!
anyway, here's a drawing I made based on the movie as a tribute. I'm working on another series of posters. Thought i'd share.

401081_10151177252950104_567425103_22575078_1984951749_n.jpg

tajrish

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
San Diego, California
Hands down, the best movie I have watched in the last 10 years. The story line, the acting, the way Farhadi managed to portray complex characters, all with their own flaws and issues, and make them all likable at the same time was simply genius.
I don't know of any other movie affecting me in such a profound way. I literally was speechless when the movie ended, and what an ending. If this movie doesn't win the oscar, I would never watch the oscars again.