The next Guardiola

xoraster

IPL Player
Oct 21, 2002
On Ghotbis own website, you ran read a very illuminating article where the one and only Jan Roelfs writes about Ghotbi.

Some interesting points is that: apparently, Ghotbi is in the same category as Guardiola and Mourinho.

Furthermore, it seems that Ghotbi has made the incredible discovery, in his conversations with Mr Roelfes, Ghotbi has mentioned that…………Barcelona plays the best football in the world. Ghotbis keen eye for details first noticed this during last years tie with Arsenal in CL and the notion was reinforced duringthe latest El Classico game where Ghotbi made this amazing breakthrough.

http://afshinghotbi.com/en/deleshir.asp

hotbi and Guardiola, same style of football
By: Jan Roelfs

A year ago Afshin called me. He watched that evening the Champions League match between Arsenal and Barcelona.
The way Barcelona played football the first twenty minutes were an example of how modern football should be played. Over the phone, Afshin was very excited: ‘ This is what football makes the game so wonderful! This is great football the way Barcelona played!’

On Monday November 29th ‘El Classico’ the big match between Barcelona and Real Madrid was played in the Barcelona Stadium Camp Nou. The rivalry between the two top teams dates from hundreds of years ago. I have watched the match with an intensity I have never watched a match before. Pep Guardiola’s team, Barcelona was dominating the game from the first minute. It was one-touch football from another planet.

On paper the tactical system Barcelona plays is 4-3-3; four defenders, three midfielders and three attackers. All these ten players on the pitch have extremely technical skills as, they are all attackers, midfielders and defenders at the same time. Abidal as a left defender, is quick and fast and can deliver the ball from the side where he wants. On the right Alves, the Brazilian star defender has the same quality. They are on paper defenders but could easily be attackers as well. On midfield the qualities of Iniesta and Xavi are exceptional. An upfront Messi is the best player in the world.

The coach Pep Guardiola is a modern style manager. It is a coach from the club, and knows the Catalan club culture. In the match versus Real Madrid, Barcelona played almost 90 minutes the football Ghotbi was so excited about when he saw them play versus Arsenal. But I think this was even better. It was Football from another planet.

I realized Afshin Ghotbi was in Kuala Lumpur for the AFC convention and would have been astonished the way Barcelona played. Mourinho, the Real Madrid coach looked a bit pale after the 5-0 knock - out in Camp Nou. Mourinho has the same management style as Guradiola and Madrid has also very good players. But Barcelona is more a team.

When I watched the match I knew that Ghotbi has his dream to have Iran play like Barcelona. This is a wonderful dream to try to achieve and see how far you get. Messi, Xavi, Iniesta are world class players who have experienced international football for many years. But I know Iran has also these technically skilled players. Now under guidance of Ghotbi whom I give the same qualities as Guardiola and Mourinho I know Ghotbi will work hard to have Iran maybe 5 minutes, maybe 10 minutes , maybe one half play like Barcelona.

Having this dream will create a good atmosphere among the players because when I was a young boy, playing football in the garden of our house, I wanted to be Johan Cruijff, my big idol from the seventies. Ghotbi has the talent, the confidence, the quality and the experience to create that exceptional atmosphere of having that dream to try to play like Barcelona. And then the players will feel like Messi, Iniesta and Alves. Without having a dream in football you start the game at 0-0. With a belief and a dream you are almost 1-0 ahead. When the Iranian football fans also believe in that dream, the match really starts with a 1-0 lead!

BehzadB

Bench Warmer
Feb 18, 2006
Shooshtar
I didn't read the whole thing but if this is to compare Ghotbi with Guardiola then it all depends if Ghotbi can find another messi, not xavi not Iniesta not alves just another Messi ;)

Well, Argentina had the same messi, not another messi, the same Messi that Barcelona does.. and they still had a mess of a team.

BehzadB

Bench Warmer
Feb 18, 2006
Shooshtar
When I watched the match I knew that Ghotbi has his dream to have Iran play like Barcelona. This is a wonderful dream to try to achieve and see how far you get. Messi, Xavi, Iniesta are world class players who have experienced international football for many years. But I know Iran has also these technically skilled players. Now under guidance of Ghotbi whom I give the same qualities as Guardiola and Mourinho I know Ghotbi will work hard to have Iran maybe 5 minutes, maybe 10 minutes , maybe one half play like Barcelona.

Having this dream will create a good atmosphere among the players because when I was a young boy, playing football in the garden of our house, I wanted to be Johan Cruijff, my big idol from the seventies. Ghotbi has the talent, the confidence, the quality and the experience to create that exceptional atmosphere of having that dream to try to play like Barcelona. And then the players will feel like Messi, Iniesta and Alves. Without having a dream in football you start the game at 0-0. With a belief and a dream you are almost 1-0 ahead. When the Iranian football fans also believe in that dream, the match really starts with a 1-0 lead!

I don't know who this guy is, but he is talking about a coach who has a "DREAM"..

I don't see anything wrong with having a dream, specially when one admits that it's a "Dream"..

Well, Argentina had the same messi, not another messi, the same Messi that Barcelona does.. and they still had a mess of a team.
Maradona never let messi to have the same role he has in barca .

This is his first game with batista

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXFAnpOrbaA"]YouTube - Brazil - Argentina 0 : 1 MESSI ´S AMAZING GOAL 17.11.10 HD lionel messi[/ame]

Aug 26, 2005
I don't know who this guy is, but he is talking about a coach who has a "DREAM"..

I don't see anything wrong with having a dream, specially when one admits that it's a "Dream"..
This dream is like having Borhani breaking Gerd Muller's scoring record. It's the kind of dream you should be having in a straight-jacket; rather than on the bench of a national team.

May 21, 2003
Not The Eshaalic Goozpublic !
ostad asadi had a potential of being another puyol with the below conditions:

1- he had to be born in country of human beings
2- shaved the moustache
3- grew the hair
4- spoke spanish instead of yashasin
5- played football instead of .... well whatever it was that he was doing.

Dr. Ruth also had a potential of being Scarlett Johansson with the below conditions:

1- she had to be a human being
2- 45 plastic surgeries including increase in height, removal of hump etc etc
3- she had to not speak out of her nose as the rest of the jews
4- she had to be hot
5- she needed to be 500 years younger

BehzadB

Bench Warmer
Feb 18, 2006
Shooshtar
This dream is like having Borhani breaking Gerd Muller's scoring record. It's the kind of dream you should be having in a straight-jacket; rather than on the bench of a national team.

Still a dream. and there is nothing wrong with having a dream. In fact, all great accomplishments start with a dream. This(having a dream) , of course, does not mean that one's dream will come true.. most of the times it doesn't, but still one has to have a dream (or vision) of something good and then go out there and try to get it. Ali Daie must have had a dream about breaking that goal record, before he did it.

Last edited:

BehzadB

Bench Warmer
Feb 18, 2006
Shooshtar
Maradona never let messi to have the same role he has in barca .

But surely, with a player as great as messi, it shouldn't matter that much as to how exactly a coach uses him. he is going to show his greatness, no matter what.. it's not like Maradona used Messi as a Goalie or a Center back in the WC. He was in the midfield.. But in Barca he has a few half decent players around him, so maybe that has something to do with it..