The Persian language costs Iran dearly?

Nov 29, 2002
I was just thinking the other day, how much longer do you think it takes to say the same thing in Farsi than in English, especially in the work area (taking into account ta'arof and general politeness, etiquette and customs)?

I think the language of Farsi costs us dearly in our productivity. It is a very beautiful language, but the net time wasted, I think, is priceless.

Oct 18, 2002
Jeebusville
I think what you've described is more of a cultural phenomenon than a linguistic one. A common message is likely to be expressed by a sentence of roughly equal length in almost every "major" language. This contention only holds if we make reference to languages spoken and written in their proper form, which isn't the case for the examples you've cited (i.e. ta'arof). Innovations in language, which account for variable efficiency in spoken form, are fueled by cultural traditions and customs. In other words, it's more a matter of language conforming to culture than vice-versa.

Oct 1, 2004
Iranians really like to draw out what they are saying. Sometimes 3 words may be necessary but we use talk for 3 minutes.
Also we have extremes of talking, some talk very formal, while others use practically all slang. THere is no middle ground.

Bijan

Bench Warmer
Apr 18, 2004
It strikes me amazingly how an Iranian is questioning our language/culture with all of their advantages and disadvantages for the sake of ´net time wasted´! In what extent can one think in terms of profit?

We have a long way to go....................

Oct 18, 2002
Antelope Valley,California
There is a point here. But as kafare komonist said, is also function of cultural attitude, or what I call "tazahor too khali".
Looking at official correspondence files in the offices and even private company, just about 50% of every maktoob is tazahor and taroof. When i tried to write a simple letter to shahrdari, everybody thaught I was rude, because i could explain my needs in only half of paragraph. I was told it my plea won't get anywhere!

khompareh

Bench Warmer
Oct 16, 2004
godlesscommie said:
I think what you've described is more of a cultural phenomenon than a linguistic one. A common message is likely to be expressed by a sentence of roughly equal length in almost every "major" language. This contention only holds if we make reference to languages spoken and written in their proper form, which isn't the case for the examples you've cited (i.e. ta'arof). Innovations in language, which account for variable efficiency in spoken form, are fueled by cultural traditions and customs. In other words, it's more a matter of language conforming to culture than vice-versa.
Thats the whole point when the last sentence could do, you filled a paragraph

Oct 18, 2002
Jeebusville
khompareh said:
Thats the whole point when the last sentence could do, you filled a paragraph
Claiming that all languages in their proper form are as "efficient" as one another, is different from my conclusion that culture has a profound affect on the efficiency of conversation in any given language. It's a subtle difference, but it's nowhere near redundancy.