the reason i started following and playing football..

a123321r

National Team Player
Oct 27, 2002
bradford, england
I know he has his shortcomings in his personality but as far as an inspirational figure in iran's football to show you can achieve everything you want and more regardless of your starting position I can't think of any one better and this is the best compilation I've seen, it's missing a lot of great goals but also includes some that I hadn't seen or forgotten about and a nice mix of different types and occasions..

[video=youtube;Cd6laH8ieWM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd6laH8ieWM[/video]

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
Well I started following Daei prior to 1992 before he became a TM fixture. He was scoring left and right for Bank Tejarat. As far as training hard, having ambitions and maintaining a superb work ethic, there has never been anyone like Daei. This guy definitely paid his dues to become a Team Melli captain. He was discovered late, and also invited to TM late.

His character over the years though has been on a steady decline year after year. Money and power corrupts is the absolute truth about him.

OSTAD POOYA

National Team Player
Jan 26, 2004
I have been searching for a particular goal for years and cannot find it. To me its his best goal ever... Its from a game against Oman.. He dribbles the ball on top and then after passing a few players takes a monserous shot... I hope I am remembering correctly. But from his goals scored with his foot this is one of the best ever.... There use to a clip of it on Teammelli site but its been long gone... I remember the team they played and that's the game he scored on Oman...

Hooshmand

Elite Member
Oct 12, 2011
UK
Ali Daei has a padded record half of his international goals were either penalties or against the likes of Nepal,Chinese Taipei, maldives, Laos, Sri lanka, oman& lebanon (used to be poor) ...
Never scored in 5 world cup matches.. scored only 19 goals in 107 Bundesliga matches, thats 1 goal every 6 matches.. Iran suffered because he wanted to play in every single international match even when he was well past his best, usually up front by himself and we couldnt produce other top class strikers.. Ali Daei was frankly a hyped up greedy player and glad to see the back of him..

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2004
Canada
He was a humble and hard working guy but all that was pre 2001. The bigger his head got, the lazier he became and he seriously declined as a player post 2001. I guess we can all appreciate him for what he did for TM prior to that and he was one of the greatest TM players of all time. It's a shame he became a freak like Maradona! ;)

kasra1930

National Team Player
Dec 30, 2011
من هم هم با هوشمند عزیز و هم با بی***هنر عزیز موافق هستم.اول اینکه از نکات خیلی*** جالب در بار*** علی*** دایی این است که وقتی*** ایران ۱۷ گٔل به مالدیو زد،علی*** دایی حتا یک گٔل هم نزد به این تیم!!!؟؟ که برایم بسیار جالب هست.دوم اینکه همانطور که هوشمند گفت،علی*** دایی در هیچ جام جهانی*** گٔل نزد،و هرگز در مقابل تیمهای بزرگ زهر آگین نبود.شاید دوستان چلسی و میلان را ذکر کنند که بالاخره یک بازیکنی که در عمرش فوروارد بوده،باید یک هم چین گلهایی هم بزند اما با تمامی*** این احوال بازیکن ۶ دنگی در سطح جهان نبود،اگر بود این همه در بایرن ذخیره نمی***شد که آخر هم عذرش را به خواهند.یعنی*** اگر این را بخواهید با پوشکش و دی استفانو و غیره مقایسه کنید زمین تا آسمون فرق هست.

در برابر تیمهای بزرگ اروپا،و در جام جهانی*** بر خلاف حسن روشن هرگز گلهای حساسی نزد.نمونه آاش در ۲ دره جام جهانی*** بود که گلی*** نزد.

در عین حال با نظر بی*** هنر هم موافق هستم که تا قبل از ۲۰۰۱ بازیکن بسیار سر حالی*** بود.به عبارت دیگر بازیکن بسیار تاپی بود اما نه به اون شکل که دیگر همه چیز بستگی به او داشت.

در این مورد هم شکی ندارم که بهترین فوروارد تاریخ ایران است.البته نه گوش راست یا چپ.منظورم این است که در نوک حمله،واگر نه*** به نظرم حسن روشن چیز دیگری بود.(چرا که روشن هم گوش راست بود و هم چپ،ولی*** سنتر فوروارد نبود).از میان سنتر فرواردها تنها کسی*** را می***تونستیم با دایی مقایسه کنیم همایون بهزادی بود که در زمان خودش جز ۵ سر زن بزرگ دنیا محسوب میشد.الگوی بهزادی،بازیکن بزرگ مجاری،کوچیس کبیر بود که در جام جهانی*** ۱۹۵۴ با ۱۱ گٔل گلزن جام جهانی*** شد.

Last edited:

Foo

Elite Member
Feb 12, 2006
Den Haag, Holland
Ali Daei has a padded record half of his international goals were either penalties or against the likes of Nepal,Chinese Taipei, maldives, Laos, Sri lanka, oman& lebanon (used to be poor) ...
Never scored in 5 world cup matches.. scored only 19 goals in 107 Bundesliga matches, thats 1 goal every 6 matches.. Iran suffered because he wanted to play in every single international match even when he was well past his best, usually up front by himself and we couldnt produce other top class strikers.. Ali Daei was frankly a hyped up greedy player and glad to see the back of him..
totally disagree with this. He didn't score in the World Cup..so the fuck what? Do u know how many players in the top 10 int'l scorers scored in World Cups? 3. U know how many in the top 20? 8. He didn't score a lot in the Bundesliga..so the fuck what? U know how many players in the top 10 were succesful anywhere in Europe? 3 if I'm optimistic. And I'm pretty sure most of the top int'l scorers scored their country's penalties. U can see where this is going. Your arguments on why his record is 'padded' are very flawed and unconvincing since his situation was no different than the tens of thousands of other strikers who played all over the world. It's not like he was the only player ever to play against weak opposition. And I'm not going into your 'argument' that he wanted to play every single int'l match because that's totally irrelevant to the subject.
Sorry for the tone but it just annoys me that people look for excuses (and have yet to find a single good one) to downplay an excellent achievement. His record is no joke and to have an Iranian player have that record is something to be proud of. But instead all I hear from some people is how his record is flawed. Heck I have the feeling that if it was up to those people, the record would be taken away from Daei because it was 'only against small teams' and 'half of them were penalties' and whatever other reason. The only thing that's flawed here are the so-called arguments against his record.

Hooshmand

Elite Member
Oct 12, 2011
UK
totally disagree with this. He didn't score in the World Cup..so the fuck what? Do u know how many players in the top 10 int'l scorers scored in World Cups? 3. U know how many in the top 20? 8. He didn't score a lot in the Bundesliga..so the fuck what? U know how many players in the top 10 were succesful anywhere in Europe? 3 if I'm optimistic. And I'm pretty sure most of the top int'l scorers scored their country's penalties. U can see where this is going. Your arguments on why his record is 'padded' are very flawed and unconvincing since his situation was no different than the tens of thousands of other strikers who played all over the world. It's not like he was the only player ever to play against weak opposition. And I'm not going into your 'argument' that he wanted to play every single int'l match because that's totally irrelevant to the subject.
Sorry for the tone but it just annoys me that people look for excuses (and have yet to find a single good one) to downplay an excellent achievement. His record is no joke and to have an Iranian player have that record is something to be proud of. But instead all I hear from some people is how his record is flawed. Heck I have the feeling that if it was up to those people, the record would be taken away from Daei because it was 'only against small teams' and 'half of them were penalties' and whatever other reason. The only thing that's flawed here are the so-called arguments against his record.
I stated the facts obviously you don't agree & keep saying ''so the fuck what'' .. you seem a tad worked up
That's fine we agree to disagree

Feb 4, 2005
I don't like his personality at all but as far as achievements go he is if not unique then one of the bests. Since 2006 that he retired we have had many strikers and we've played against goozoo teams as well. How come they havent been able to score against them? Begholeh maroof akhlaghesh kafe paam, honaresh balayeh saram

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Let's not be unfair Hooshmand jan! If scoring against Laos, Nepal and Maldives would give you 100 goals then a lot of our other good forwards would have done the same. When it comes to Bundesliga games, you are only looking at the stats. You should also pay attention to how many games he was subbed in during the last 10-15 minutes of the game. The fact is, at that time the Asian games weren't in FIFA dates. This meant Daei had to leave his training in Bundesliga and join TM for duty! This automatically resulted in him losing his starting position where ever he played. To say he only scored 19 goals in 107 Bundesliga games is completely distorting this reality.

He was just an Asian forward, no Ronaldo or Messi. But as a lot of foreign commentators and experts said, when it came to scoring with his head, he was a world class player. After his first game for Bayern Munich, I remember Franz Beckenbauer said I wished he played for Germany!

Last edited:

Foo

Elite Member
Feb 12, 2006
Den Haag, Holland
I stated the facts obviously you don't agree & keep saying ''so the fuck what'' .. you seem a tad worked up
That's fine we agree to disagree
I never denied that they were facts. I just said that they proved absolutely nothing towards your argument because every other striker in history (at least outside Europe and South America) had those same conditions. And that most other players in the top 10/20 int'l scorers didn't meet your criteria either.
I apologized and explained the worked up thing ;)
If there are actual legitimate reasons to deny his record that'd be fine. But to me it just seems people look for excuses to do so because of his personality flaws..which is wrong IMO. Anyway, agree to disagree then.

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
totally disagree with this. He didn't score in the World Cup..so the fuck what? Do u know how many players in the top 10 int'l scorers scored in World Cups? 3. U know how many in the top 20? 8.
Like I said, not to downplay what he achieved or the fact that he was one of the best all time TM players when he was at his peak or that we shouldn't be proud of him, but I don't mind knowing the names of a few other strikers who played in 6 world cup matches for their respective nations, and didn't score a single goal. Particularly when the entire team plan revolved around them.

To make matters worse, he averaged 0.16 goal per match in the 2006 WCQ campaign (excluding the round with the crappiest of the crappiest of all teams). Even in the 2002 WCQ campaign, after which he should have retired, he averaged 0.5 goal per match (excluding crappy rounds) and that includes teams like Bahrain or Thailand and even Saudi Arabia who got their arses handed to them a year later by Germany in an 8-0 thrashing!

Again, all of this was made worse by the fact that the entire TM game plan revolved around Daei both in 2002 and in 2006. Compare his record to someone like Gucci who gets thrown into a team that knows nothing about him or he knows nothing about and he scores 0.6 goal per game in the 2014 WCQ campaign - including his 1st two caps with TM (he's averaging 1 goal per game excluding the 1st two caps)! Unfortunately, if Daei was still playing someone like Gucci would have never had a chance to play for TM.

In summary, we have to take the good with the bad and vise versa.

a123321r

National Team Player
Oct 27, 2002
bradford, england
Well I started following Daei prior to 1992 before he became a TM fixture. He was scoring left and right for Bank Tejarat. As far as training hard, having ambitions and maintaining a superb work ethic, there has never been anyone like Daei. This guy definitely paid his dues to become a Team Melli captain. He was discovered late, and also invited to TM late.

His character over the years though has been on a steady decline year after year. Money and power corrupts is the absolute truth about him.
well my story is I never watched football or anything because mainly i didn't have a choice on the tv and was never really introduced to it which seems really weird to most other people lol but in my last few days in iran we were staying at someone else's house and i remember football was on and there was only one name that stood out throughout all the games, i actually have no idea of who the games were against but just googled it and it was a busy few days for daei i guess!
1993-10-18 Doha, Qatar Japan 2–1 1994 FIFA World Cup Qualification 1
1993-10-22 Doha, Qatar Iraq 1–2 1994 FIFA World Cup Qualification 1
1993-10-25 Doha, Qatar North Korea 2–1 1994 FIFA World Cup Qualification 2

and after that he has been an amazing player to follow, and he (yes more than any other player on the team) brought iran back from the ashes and really opened the door to the european game (this one he has to be share with bagheri and azizi but he was the first one to go to a top european club where he had to compete with two german internationals and a brazilian international! he still managed to shine enough to be considered a very big move for hertha at the time and again there he had the most influence in them in the qualifying for the CL and advancing through to the next round, him and preetz didn't work together though and obviously the german international was preferred esp as daei never stopped going to any of iran's game with its fucked up asian calendar!
his personality just like anyone's personality is a product of his environment.. can you imagine the kind of father he had when he was young? he came from nowhere where he had to try hard to win his father's approval to doing so well he didn't need anyone's approval anymore and all in the context of a corrupt society occupied by people who pretty much all have some sort of emotional problem or personality disorder (again.. not genetic as such but more as a bi-product of having lived in the society that we have right now!).. so yeah i don't like it... but i understand!

I have been searching for a particular goal for years and cannot find it. To me its his best goal ever... Its from a game against Oman.. He dribbles the ball on top and then after passing a few players takes a monserous shot... I hope I am remembering correctly. But from his goals scored with his foot this is one of the best ever.... There use to a clip of it on Teammelli site but its been long gone... I remember the team they played and that's the game he scored on Oman...
i really didn't want to reply until i had found this goal because i remember what you are talking about and i think someone had posted it on isp, it was shocking how fast he was running as well but sorry man couldn't find it.. will keep looking though!
His goal against Iraq in 1994 qualifiers was one of the best .
[video=youtube;ZXEsWiosTdQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXEsWiosTdQ&list=PL22F7F93A7E38B8F5[/video]
one of yeah.. but i agree with daei about his best three goals being the half volley against korea, the curler against iraq in 2002 qualifying(?) and his diving header against kuwait.. though the header against Ecuador seemed kind of impossible, same as the one against egypt and i love the one against saudi arabia in 2002 and of course yeah iraq 93 :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md1iyBUNVlM

OSTAD POOYA

National Team Player
Jan 26, 2004
i really didn't want to reply until i had found this goal because i remember what you are talking about and i think someone had posted it on isp, it was shocking how fast he was running as well but sorry man couldn't find it.. will keep looking though!

You have no idea how hard I have tried to find this goal... Its truly his best goal ever on the ground... I actually started a thread about it a few years ago asking for members here to help to find this goal but noone did... I have no idea how we can find this goal but its a marvel if we can.

Now I am thinking if someone from ISP can contact Teammelli site and ask them if they have that goal in their archives...

OSTAD POOYA

National Team Player
Jan 26, 2004
And guys do not forget that Daei gave the pass to Azzizi which took Iran to the WC... He made the pass to Kia which Iran beat the United states. .................................................... And he made the same pass to Karimi against Ireland which Karimi missed and that goal would have taken Iran to the WC as we would had lost in Dublin 2-1.................. The guy is by far the best Iranian player ever.

Nov 24, 2002
BT said everything i wanted say about Daei , i started to follow him as well from his days in Bank-e-Tejarat , even Parvin wasn't a big fan of him at beginning but with lack of real strikers and the gap left by retirement of Pious , Parvin had no choice to invite him due to some media pressure , Daei made his first appearance vs Oman and even he didn't score , he was soo good in that game that with 20 minutes of playing time , Parvin started him in next game and Daei never quite ! He was educated , down to earth and great scorer in his good days , but sadly as some others said , he changed ALOT , is day and night when i see him now and Daei of 20 years a go, he wouldn't even look at Camera when he was doing interview ! alan .. khoda ro ham bande nist ..

Oct 1, 2004
Many points I'd like to bring up here about Daei.

1- Daei from 1994-2003 was the indisputable best forward Iran had. No one could compare to him. He started because he was the best and he scored against opponents big and small.
2- To those saying he scored against weak teams. SO WHAT?! Every team in Asia played against the same teams and no one (Iranian or Asian) showed the same level of performance against the same opponents. To fault a forward for doing his job (SCORING GOALS) is the kind of complaint that just shows a personal vendetta.
3- Again on the level of opponents, even if you took away his goals against the weaker teams, he probably has 50-70 goals which are against teams at the same level as TM, if not better (South Korea, Japan, Saudi, Iraq, Ecaudor, Ukraine...).
4- To those who say he got in the way of other forwards developing. That makes no sense. The national team is not about development. It is where players come from clubs and through a few days of training try to show some effectiveness and cohesiveness versus opponents. I'm sorry but what did Borhani, Enayati, Khatibi... and the like do to compared to Daei? The only legitimate competition Daei had was Vahid Hashemian, and up until 2003 I would say Daei was better than him.
5- To those saying he didn't score in the World Cup. Many great players didn't. And how often did TM even play in the World Cup? Every game TM has had in the World Cup (except against Angola) we have played a counter attacking style with very little service.
6- For his passes to Azizi in 97 (Aus) and Kia in 98 (USA)a nd Karimi in 2001 (Ireland) he made up plenty for not being able to score against those same opponents.
7- He made it in Europe when no European club gave a damn about Asian players. The only other decent Asian player in Europe at the same time as Daei was Nakata. Kia and co came a bit later.
8- Daei played in Europe when AFC would schedule their games on whatever dates they wanted. Daei would make it as a starter many many times and then go to play for TM and lose his spot. Maybe he should have cared about TM less, but can we fault him for that? There was a reason Bayern Munich purchased him. Look at his goals for Armenia Bielefeld. He was a complete player. Not just headers, he would charge at defenders, win tough physical battles and score even long range shots.
9- Daei's attitude definitely changed post 2004, but that doesn't take away from what he did. He is still the most well known and effective TM player Iran ever had. We are judging his player career at his peak, not his coaching, or relationship issues.

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
You have no idea how hard I have tried to find this goal... Its truly his best goal ever on the ground... I actually started a thread about it a few years ago asking for members here to help to find this goal but noone did... I have no idea how we can find this goal but its a marvel if we can.

Now I am thinking if someone from ISP can contact Teammelli site and ask them if they have that goal in their archives...
Is the goal at 1:30 of this video the one you're talking about?

[video=youtube;qQfd5IwqB4A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQfd5IwqB4A#t=90[/video]