[TD]186-2[/TD]
[TD]US, Israel [/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Irani

IPL Player
Oct 19, 2002
Iran (70%), Others (30%)
Countries that voted NO are on the right side.
Marshall Islands, Palau :8:

..... On April 6, 1960, Lester D. Mallory, US Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Inter-American Affairs, wrote in an internal memorandum: "The majority of Cubans support Castro ... The only foreseeable means of alienating internal support is through disenchantment and disaffection based on economic dissatisfaction and hardship. ... every possible means should be undertaken promptly to weaken the economic life of Cuba." Mallory proposed "a line of action which ... makes the greatest inroads in denying money and supplies to Cuba, to decrease monetary and real wages, to bring about hunger, desperation and overthrow of government." Later that year, the Eisenhower administration instituted the suffocating embargo against its eternally-declared enemy.

Aug 27, 2005
Band e 209
According to 2011 General Assembly voting Cuba has 186 different nations to do business with, then why keep whining about Imperialist/Capitalist U.S?

The Cuban Americans voting power in Florida will not let any politician to even express a hint of lifting the embargo.

May 9, 2004
What does Israel get from voting NO on this?
اسرائیل و امریکا در سیاست خارجی یک هستند
هرچی امریکا گفت اسرائیل می گوید چشم و هرچی اسرائیل گفت امریکا می گوید چشم
مرشدو بچه مرشد

Bache Tehroon

Elite Member
Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
According to 2011 General Assembly voting Cuba has 186 different nations to do business with, then why keep whining about Imperialist/Capitalist U.S?

The Cuban Americans voting power in Florida will not let any politician to even express a hint of lifting the embargo.
Rasouljan, I beg to differ.

Cuba doesn't have 186 nations to trade with. They have precisely ZERO trading power because the only real commodity they can offer to the world is intellectuals in the form of doctors and engineers. With little research and development opportunity accessible to those brains, Cuba has become a giant collection of highly educated peasants. I cannot blame a single one of them for not swallowing their pride like we in the 'developed' world did.

Cuba holds a special place in my heart. It's a raw treasure that should be deeply studied in the shape it is right now before multinational corporations exploit it in a few years.

Castro didn't do it. He was just a dictator. Dictators don't necessarily starve their nation.

The US and Soviet Union destroyed the life standards of at least 4 Cuban generations. The Soviet era ended, but the US without any shame continued to hold Cubans hostage against an old man for entertainment value.

Decades and maybe centuries from now, Cuba will definitely become a glorious nation with much to offer. These people now have independence carved into their genes. No other nation in the world can claim the same.

Fatso

Captain
Oct 1, 2004
Castro regime has never been so kind to Jews in Cuba. They are almost decimated, within past 35 years their numbers have reduced to mere 700 from about 15,000.
Do they actually have anti-Jewish policies or is this just a result of the widespread migration away from the country as is?

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
Rasouljan, I beg to differ.Cuba doesn't have 186 nations to trade with. They have precisely ZERO trading power because the only real commodity they can offer to the world is intellectuals in the form of doctors and engineers.
If they have nothing to trade then why does it matter if they trade with the US. What Motori correctly points out is that the whole world is open to them. What would Cuba possibly want that Europe or China don't have? Iran is sanctioned for 30+ years and she is doing fine. What Cuba really needs is a little exploitation by multinationals( like Hilton and Hyatt you love to stay at).

Irani

IPL Player
Oct 19, 2002
Iran (70%), Others (30%)
Good discussions....with or without Castro, Cubans are proud people. As BT said, their nationality is deep-rooted in their genes. Cuba has produced the best artists, physicians, athletes (even excellent wrestlers who have won GOLD medals against Russians and Iranians). Cubans are poor financially but reach culturally. As I travel and teach in South America and Central America, I see nothing but great admiration for Cuban people as hard working and honest people.

I disagree with Cubans mistreating Jews… Cubans are very fair and share whatever they have with everyone… what GP is true….

Three Cuban American congressmen and one woman (Ileana Ros-Lehtinen) who have supported USA embargo against Cubans have also spoken about removing the terrorist designation against MKO which I find it odd.

Aug 27, 2005
Band e 209
Rasouljan, I beg to differ.

Cuba doesn't have 186 nations to trade with. They have precisely ZERO trading power because the only real commodity they can offer to the world is intellectuals in the form of doctors and engineers. With little research and development opportunity accessible to those brains, Cuba has become a giant collection of highly educated peasants. I cannot blame a single one of them for not swallowing their pride like we in the 'developed' world did.

Cuba holds a special place in my heart. It's a raw treasure that should be deeply studied in the shape it is right now before multinational corporations exploit it in a few years.

Castro didn't do it. He was just a dictator. Dictators don't necessarily starve their nation.

The US and Soviet Union destroyed the life standards of at least 4 Cuban generations. The Soviet era ended, but the US without any shame continued to hold Cubans hostage against an old man for entertainment value.

Decades and maybe centuries from now, Cuba will definitely become a glorious nation with much to offer. These people now have independence carved into their genes. No other nation in the world can claim the same.
My assumption was, if 186 nations condemned the U.S imposed sanctions then it is fair to assume they are willing to do business with Cuba. That is a big number, wish Iran could feel the same.

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
Israel votes with the US as a gesture only.It is so that when they want a vote to go certain way on an issue that is important to them, then the US does it for them. That's all.

But aside from that, isn't the UN such a useless and pointless organisation? The will of all countries (200 or so) can be overruled by just one country that wants things to be a certain way.

Aug 27, 2005
Band e 209
Do they actually have anti-Jewish policies or is this just a result of the widespread migration away from the country as is?
Not anti-Jewish policies in particular, all Communist nations have/had anti-religion policies, but just like Mama Bear (USSR) Jews have been enjoying special treatment.