This is Asia's most on-form player right now...

Oct 19, 2002
S.Korea's Seol, its his 5th goal since he was transfered to wolverhapton, in his i think 5th game...

LONDON – Two of Asia’s footballing favourites were busy grabbing the limelight in Europe this weekend ahead of Wednesday’s crucial 2006 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers.

In Germany, Japan star Naohiro Takahara signalled he was ready for his country’s midweek clash with DPR Korea by bagging two goals for Bundesliga outfit Hamburg as they powered to a 3-1 away win in Nürnberg.

The 25-year-old, a surprise late replacement for prolific Belgium international Emile Mpenza, grabbed his first moments after the half-hour mark when he drilled a ferocious left-foot shot past a hapless Klewer in the Nürnberg goal.

Takahara doubled his haul after 53 minutes. Latching onto a long ball from Hamburg’s own penalty area, he easily outpaced a despairing home defence before finishing with aplomb.

The former Jubilo Iwata striker nearly sealed a stunning hat-trick three minutes later but his acrobatic diving header flashed agonisingly wide.

"I was able to get behind the backline the same as in practice and it was a smart move," said Takahara, who will arrive in Japan on Monday, two days before the crucial World Cup qualifier at home to North Korea.
"I think I can join my national teammates with a good feeling but honestly speaking I don't want to be there unless I can play from the beginning of the (North Korea) match."

Iran’s Mehdi Mahdavikia also featured in the victory that lifted Thomas Doll’s Hamburg to seventh in the Bundesliga standings.
Meanwhile in England, Korea Republic dynamo Seol Ki-hyeon crowned yet another creditable Championship performance with a wonderfully taken goal to earn Wolverhampton Wanderers a 1-1 draw with high-flying Sunderland.

Seol, who has become an integral part of former England boss Glenn Hoddle’s rejuvenated side, further endeared himself to the Molineux faithful by bravely heading home a looping left wing cross just 60 seconds after Stephen Elliot had given the visitors an early first half lead.

Friday’s strike against the Black Cats saw the 26-year-old’s goal tally for the West Midlands club climb to an impressive five.

Following last week’s surprise 1-0 defeat at the hands of Egypt, Seol’s rich vein of form will no doubt help soothe national coach Jo Bonfrere’s furrowed brow ahead of Korea Republic’s vital qualifier against Kuwait in Seoul.