this is becoming a joke: US ships in second rescue of Iranians in persian gulf

Ali(ISP)

Tottenham till I die
Oct 16, 2002
Southampton, UK
and this one happened in persian gulf! in our backyard!

BBC

A US ship has picked up Iranians in trouble at sea, in the second such rescue in less than a week, the Pentagon has said. US Coast Guard cutter Monomoy rescued six Iranian mariners after their vessel broke down in the Gulf. One of the six had suffered burns and is receiving treatment, Pentagon spokesman George Little told reporters.

The US Navy rescued 13 Iranian fishermen last Thursday after they were captured by Somali pirates. Both incidents come at a time of heightened tensions between Washington and Tehran.

In the latest incident, the six Iranians were some 50 miles (90km) south-east of the Iraqi port of Umm Qasr when they got into trouble early on Tuesday, Mr Little said. The crew used flares and flashlights to hail the passing Monomoy. The vessel's master indicated "that the engine room was flooding and [the ship was] not seaworthy", Mr Little added.

The Pentagon said the Iranian mariners would be repatriated, although it has not yet been determined how. Last Thursday, forces assigned to the John C Stennis aircraft carrier group - on its way from the Gulf to Afghanistan - received a distress call from the Al Molai fishing vessel. The ship had been boarded by pirates in the Arabian Sea more than a month ago, and its crew had been kept in "harsh conditions", the Pentagon said at the time. A US Navy spokesman said the force went out of its way to "treat the fishing crew with kindness and respect" and provided them with fuel and food for their return journey home.

Washington says its forces routinely rescue sailors in distress - regardless of nationality - but wanted to highlight the two recent incidents in light of the current tensions between the two countries.

Tehran has not commented on Tuesday's incident, but described last Thursday's rescue as a "humanitarian gesture". However, days earlier Tehran had warned the carrier not to return to the region once it left for Afghanistan.

Oct 18, 2002
This has just become the new way of seeking refugee status, I guess. Iranians keep jumping into the sea, hoping to get picked up by the US navy...

maziar95

Elite Member
Oct 20, 2002
Baltimore, MD
This has just become the new way of seeking refugee status, I guess. Iranians keep jumping into the sea, hoping to get picked up by the US navy...
All the Iranians were returned home after both rescue attempts. The first boat was hijacked by the pirates for more then a month. I dont think its about seeking refugee status , I think the US is actually going out of its way to rescue these boats as a PR move.

May 9, 2004
این اتفاقات یعنی کمک نیروهای دریایی یک کشور به ماهیگیران و قایق های کشور دیگر روزانه دها بار اتفاق میافتد
بجز در دو سه خط در روزنامه های محلی هم کسی انرا جای دیگری نمیبیند
همین چندی پیش گار ساحلی کویت یک لنج ایرانی که داشت غرق می شد را نجات داد و سرنشینان انرا به بندر دوحه در کویت اورد
قبل از ان هم نیروی دریایی ایران قایق کویتی را که ما مشکل روبرو شده بود نجات داد
در مغرب هم روزانه دها کشتی ماهیگیری از اسپانیا و ایطالیا و خلاصه اروپا بوسیله گارد ساحلی این کشور کمک داده می شوند
امارات هم چندین بار قایق های عمانی و ایرانی را که با مشکل روبرو شده بودند کمک کرد
در همین بند دوحه روزانه دها جاشو که در ابهای نزدیک کویت با مشکل روبرو شده اند از عراق و ایران و بحرین و سعودیه بعد از بر طرف شدن مشکل به کشورشان باز میگردند
امارات در کمک به قایق های ماهیگیری عمان و ایران نقش بسزایی دارد
کسی هم اصلا در این موردخبردار نمی شود بجز همانطور که گفتم در دو سه جمله در صفحه اخر یکی دو تا روزنامه محلی
حالا چرا امریکا این شاهکار قرن را اینطور بزرگ کرده تا انجا که پنتاگون خبر داده برای من واقعا تعجب اور است!!!!ا