Time for a New Day - A New Team Melli

Babak G

News Team, ISP Managers Team
Feb 13, 2003
Parts Unknown
There is going to be enough time to dissect our exit and to lay blame all across the board. But I thought this could be a good thread. Who do you think should be headed out of Team Melli on the player front and who do you see as the players to lead the team towards the WC in 2010. I dont think we have much time to mess about and we should go straight to the drawing board.

For my two cents, straight from the next match that Team Melli makes we should be planning for 2010. Im dividing things into five groups and you should put the players you think should go into each one.

Definitely Out

Ali Karimi (stopping the talents of Mobali who is no longer a baby, and Shojaei)
Rahman Rezaei (he retired himself didnt he)

Should be Slowly Phased Out

Mehdi Mahdavikia (Not irreplaceable anymore, Kaabi and Kazemian need to play)
Vahid Hashemian (Its a shame that even when out of form he is still our best)
Enayati (not Team Melli material, never was and wont be now that he is 31)

Key Men for the New Era

Nekounam
Ando
Kaabi
Shojaei
Mobali
Kazemian
Talebloo
Nosrati
Hosseini
Jabbari (pre-injury form)

Give Them A Chance Dammit

Maziar Zare'e
Meysam Maneie
Dejaghah
Shapourzadeh

Last edited:

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Babak jan, actually I was about to post the very same post that you did here. Great thread.

I guess I agree with everything you said, only I would say:

Bring back MIRZAPOUR!

He should continue to be our first goalie, until we find a very very talented one. Talebloo, Roudbarian and everyone else, have already shown they've got more mistakes than him.

I say let's try some new keepers like Sepahan's keeper.

Also let's put the "bache bazi" of rooting for iranian coaches aside, and get a damn good and experienced foreign coach now. It's not impossible. I'm not saying to get Ancelotti but IMO, even Milan Macala is not enough for TM.

Babak G

Feb 13, 2003
Parts Unknown
Mirzapour was injured otherwise he would have been the first choice for sure. But I dont think goalkeeper was our biggest problem in this tournament.

hdastgha

Bench Warmer
Nov 23, 2005
yes we have major govt & coaching issues, lack of facilities, coaching, doemestic league & all out that. one thing we have a grass roots love and interest for thsi game. for this reason alone we will continue to have good young footballers as long as no war come up who will take over hashemian, mahdavika, bagheri, azizi, daei's of the world. I will be surprised if GN stays coach.

hdastgha

Bench Warmer
Nov 23, 2005
goalie was a major issue for TM but not in south korea game. The other major issue was left flank. mandachi was a band aid fix that really did not work and zandi has speed issues in that spot. Key issue is that we did not have a compliment striker for Hashemian that could service and work/replaced him

westwienmaskulin

News Team, ISP Managers Team, ISP Podcast Team
Oct 18, 2002
Av. Aristide Maillol, BCN
Leaders:
Javad, Andranik, Nosrati

and I also see potential in Jalal Hosseini

important part of the team

Zandi, Talebloo, Mobali, Shojaei, Kazemian, Kaebi, Shojaei, Aghili, Zare, Roudbarian

should be tried:
Shapourzadeh, Badamaki, Kolahkaj, Shakouri, Vaezi, Ghorbani

should be given another chance:
Borhani, Samereh, Navidkia

Should finally be given a chance:
Manaei

Should be kept in reserve if we don't find anyone better:
Mahdavikia, Hashemian

Nice if he makes it:
Dejagah

That's a squad of around 25 players..plus I believe 6-8 should be found somewhere else too.

Babak G

Feb 13, 2003
Parts Unknown
Zandi should stick around. He has the heart that many of our players lack and he ALWAYS gives 100%. But I dont think he will ever be a key member of the starting lineup but rather a very good squad member thats why he wasnt mentioned in any of my sections. But he is there! :) If only he had some pace...

Jan 23, 2003
Part of my post in thread started by FZ:

Kia is only 29. I see him as our "Zarincheh" of WC2010 if we qualify. On Karimi I am a dreamer but I simply love his game. This is asking too much but I really hope somehow he could regain his motivation and continue playing fottball. If he does he still haS another 4 years left in him. Thats the way I see Karimi. I am biased and cant help it. When he is on the ball he is on a different level.

As for Vahid and Rahman we have to wait and see. In Rahmans case fortunately we seem to have more than capable replacements but for strikers positions, well I think it will be our weakest link in years to come. I hope Dejagha works out and it may be worth consider building on Samereh for the next 3-4 years.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Leaders:
Javad, Andranik, Nosrati

and I also see potential in Jalal Hosseini

important part of the team

Zandi, Talebloo, Mobali, Shojaei, Kazemian, Kaebi, Shojaei, Aghili, Zare, Roudbarian

should be tried:
Shapourzadeh, Badamaki, Kolahkaj, Shakouri, Vaezi, Ghorbani

should be given another chance:
Borhani, Samereh, Navidkia

Should finally be given a chance:
Manaei

Should be kept in reserve if we don't find anyone better:
Mahdavikia, Hashemian

Nice if he makes it:
Dejagah

That's a squad of around 25 players..plus I believe 6-8 should be found somewhere else too.
Mob'ali could be a leader also.
But please for god's sakes folks, don't forget Mirzapour. He should be our first goalie.

xoraster

IPL Player
Oct 21, 2002
I said this before today but dont forget Behrang Safari. Iranian born left defender in Sweden. at 22, he is already the leagues best left back and primed for better teams in the future. He has got everything and has said a couple of times he would consider an Iran call up.

I also want to know more about this new Roma striker. The boy is 195 cm and will be practicing with Totti, Mancini andd co..............

I also hope that Dejagah comes around and that one or two new faces introduce themselves from IPL but with the way we are going, letting our stars go to UAE and replacing them with 4th rate foreigners, I doubt that IPL will give us much in the near future.

Most importantly..........Iran needs a technical director who oversees all Iranian NT teams, from U16 upwards.

Feb 15, 2006
Copenhagen-Denmark
But please for god's sakes folks, don't forget Mirzapour. He should be our first goalie.
Ali jan, shomaa gofti, oonam anjaam shod ;)
It's up to the next coach to decide!
I wouldn't be surprised if IFF hires Alie Daei as the new coach!
Now don't beat me!
I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised!

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Ali jan, shomaa gofti, oonam anjaam shod ;)
It's up to the next coach to decide!
I wouldn't be surprised if IFF hires Alie Daei as the new coach!
Now don't beat me!
I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised!
Actually you have a point there! :eek:
Please keep GN! LOL J/K

dariush-44

Bench Warmer
Oct 15, 2004
Don't forget Borhani, our best striker who has a very bright future. But as usual the mafia of Iranian football, doesn't invite him and continues to assist Arash in wasting his career away.

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
Great thread Babak. Agree with all the ones you mentioned.

Karimi, Hashemian and Kia are definetly not as good, and wont be, so by next Tournament for their own good they should give others chance. Specially for Kia and Karimi's replacements, we got couple of good choices. We have yet to find a good replacement for Hashemian though: Arash Borhani, Ali Samereh, Freydun Fazli?!

but one thing is for sure, we found a very solid defender in this Tournament and for yrs to come: Jalal Hosseini. he was brilliant, and can secure us in that spot for yrs to come..