TM Iran Information Thread

zoozanagheh

Bench Warmer
Feb 6, 2005
Even though the five star IFF has yet to officially announce the remaining TM friendly games in preparation for WC2018, Saket revealed the list without mentioning the venues during the debate with Ali Karimi on Navad program on Monday.
Despite earlier talks of playing a big team (such as Italy, Netherlands, Brazil) Iran will play Greece. It is still unclear whether this game will be TM farewell game in Azadi before leaving to Russia.
In addition, Iran was supposed to play a friendly match against a WC qualified team in Russia, instead Iran will play Lithuania.
Overall, Iran will play two friendlies against two Asian teams that we met during the qualification: Syria and Uzbekistan. It still remains to be seen if the domestic players would be released from their clubs in a timely manner to play these two games which are supposedly scheduled specifically for their preparation.
We will also play three North African teams: Libya, Tunisia and Algeria to prepare for the game against Morocco.
In addition we will play two Balkan teams: Greece and Turkey, bringing the total number of teams from Mediterranean region to six. These two friendly could be viewed as preparation for the game against Portugal.
And lastly we play the low ranking Lithuania, a Baltic state from the North-Eastern Europe for a light last friendly before the official games begin to build confidence and tweak tactics.

Here is the list with some additional dates that are noteworthy:

(4-29 March/13 Esfand-9 Farvardin: IPL Break)
(11 March/20 Esfand : Belgian First Division A Regular Season Final Week - Play-Off Round To Follow)
(12-13 March/21-22 Esfand: AFC Club Championship Week#4)

17 March/26 Esfand: Iran vs. Libya in Tehran (most likely with domestic TM players)

(19-27 March/28 Esfand-7 Farvardin : FIFA days)

22 March/2 Farvardin: Iran vs. Tunisia potentially in Tunisia (Austria and Tehran are also possibilities)

27 March/7 Farvardin: Iran vs. Algeria in Austria

(7 April/18 Farvardin: Qatar Stars League Final Week - Emir and Crown Prince Cups To Follow)
(27 April/7 Ordibehesht: IPL Final Week)
(2 May/12 Ordibehesht: Elimination Cup Final)
(5 May/15 Ordibehesht: England League One Regular Season Final Week)
(6 May/16 Ordibehesht: England Championship League Regular Season Final Week)
(6 May/16 Ordibehesht: Netherlands Erdivisie Regular Season Final Week - EU qualification Play Off To Follow)
(6 May/16 Ordibehesht: Greece Super League Regular Season Final Week)
(7-9 May/17-19 Ordibehesht: AFC Club Championship RD16 First Leg)

11 May/21 Ordibehesht: Iran vs. Syria potentially in Tehran (most likely with domestic TM players)

(13 May/23 Ordibehesht: Russian Premier League Regular Season Final Week)
(13 May/23 Ordibehesht: Portugal Primeria Liga Regular Season Final Week)
(14 May/24 Ordibehesht: Initial 35 TM Players List Submission Deadline)
(14-16 May/24-26 Ordibehesht: AFC Club Championship RD16 Return Leg)

18 May/28 Ordibehesht: Iran vs. Uzbekistan potentially in Tehran (most likely with domestic TM players)

28 May/7 Khordad: Iran vs. Turkey in Turkey

(1 June/11 Khordad: All Clubs Are Obligated to Release National Players To Their Respective National Teams By This Date At The Latest)

2 June/12 Khordad: Iran vs. Greece potentially in Greece (Tehran, Russia, Austria, Turkey are also possibilities)

(4 June/14 Khordad: Final 23 TM Players List Submission Deadline)

8 June/18 Khordad: Iran vs. Lithuania in Russia

(14 June/24 Khordad: World Cup 2018 Starts in Russia)

15 June/25 Khordad: Iran vs. Morocco in Saint-Petersburg

20 June/30 Khordad: Iran vs. Spain in Kazan

25 June/4 Tir: Iran vs. Portugal in Saransk, Mordovia

(30 June/9 Tir: Play-Offs Begin)
(15 July/24 Tir: WC Final)

Update on TM friendlies according to Khabaronline, with major changes (in Italic) to the previous post being:

Iran-Tunisia on 23March/3 Farvardin in Tunisia
Iran-Syria 11 May/11 Ord. in Tehran or Qatar
Iran-Uzb 18 May/28 Ord in Tehran or Qatar
Iran-Greece 2 June/12 Khordad in Istanbul

ایران – لیبی، ۲۶ اسفند، تهران
ایران – تونس، ۳ فروردین ۹۷، تونس
ایران – الجزایر، ۷ فروردین ۹۷، وین
ایران – سوریه، ۲۱ اردیبهشت ۹۷، تهران یا قطر
ایران – ازبکستان، ۲۸ اردیبهشت ۹۷، تهران یا قطر
ایران – ترکیه، ۷ خرداد ۹۷، استانبول
یران – یونان، ۱۲ خرداد ۹۷، استانبول
ایران – لیتوانی، ۱۸ خرداد ۹۷، روسیه
ایران – مراکش، ۲۵ خرداد ۹۷، سن پترزبورگ
ایران – اسپانیا، ۳۰ خرداد ۹۷، کازان
ایران – پرتغال، ۴ تیر ۹۷، سارانسک

Nov 29, 2002
I've always thought that Dejagah gives 110% for TM and will always have a role in the squad but I'm not so sure now.

Because the message you are sending is important, particularly for the young players. Even for this world cup, I think it's paramount to send the message that competitive games and match fitness is important and that you can't be guaranteed a place in TM based on past form.

CQ has been justifiably ruthless in cutting out previous players (Khalatbari, Teymourian) despite their pedigree and I have a feeling that he will do the same with Ashkan. And I don't think it would particularly be a bad move any more.

Dejagah has spent time in the gym but this is a different world from match fitness and players lose their competitive edge very easily without regular games. He has already lost half a season and now stands to lose a lot more. He will not last 60 minutes of one game, let alone three at this rate. As such his spot might be better spent giving another player who could be on the fringe of squad selection if CQ takes fewer attacking compared to defensive players like he has for Iran and S Africa in previous world cups. (example: Torabi, K.Rezaei/Gucci).

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
I've always thought that Dejagah gives 110% for TM and will always have a role in the squad but I'm not so sure now.

Because the message you are sending is important, particularly for the young players. Even for this world cup, I think it's paramount to send the message that competitive games and match fitness is important and that you can't be guaranteed a place in TM based on past form.

CQ has been justifiably ruthless in cutting out previous players (Khalatbari, Teymourian) despite their pedigree and I have a feeling that he will do the same with Ashkan. And I don't think it would particularly be a bad move any more.

Dejagah has spent time in the gym but this is a different world from match fitness and players lose their competitive edge very easily without regular games. He has already lost half a season and now stands to lose a lot more. He will not last 60 minutes of one game, let alone three at this rate. As such his spot might be better spent giving another player who could be on the fringe of squad selection if CQ takes fewer attacking compared to defensive players like he has for Iran and S Africa in previous world cups. (example: Torabi, K.Rezaei/Gucci).
That may automatically alert the need of inviting Shojaei back. Not only he's got a good form, it's his right position. Having said that, we have so many forwards in good form who could play that position (Ansarifard, Ghoddos, Taremi, etc., I remember even Torabi got to play there once) that I do not think we will have a problem. Although as a player, Dejagah at top form, was a head and shoulder above everyone else in TM. So in that sense, he will be missed.

Oct 1, 2004
That may automatically alert the need of inviting Shojaei back. Not only he's got a good form, it's his right position. Having said that, we have so many forwards in good form who could play that position (Ansarifard, Ghoddos, Taremi, etc., I remember even Torabi got to play there once) that I do not think we will have a problem. Although as a player, Dejagah at top form, was a head and shoulder above everyone else in TM. So in that sense, he will be missed.

Shojaei and Dejagah are complete opposites in terms of style of play.
Dejagah's natural replacement is Ghoddoos. Speedy, agressive, attacking type players who are physically strong.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Shojaei and Dejagah are complete opposites in terms of style of play.
Dejagah's natural replacement is Ghoddoos. Speedy, agressive, attacking type players who are physically strong.
Yes, agreed. but CQ used to rotate between Dejagah and Shojaei in the same position during different games. That's why I mentioned him. Ghoddos is definitely Dejagah's replacement.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
carlos is going for the kill in russia.
he added a martial arts coach to his staff today.
get ready to rumble suckers.

Oh no!!! Now CQ wants to employ people from all kinds of sports to enjoy the country's football money?! First his god son and now this! This man is using our money for himself! He needs to be fired ASAP!

zoozanagheh

Bench Warmer
Feb 6, 2005

I share the same concern as you do, by the time he recovers from surgery and tries to get back to the line up the season would be almost over. He will have about two months to get back to form to play in WC. Granted he was one of our best players in our last qualifying matches despite lacking club training and playing time, but our WC opponent are no west or central Asian teams.

Yet I think CQ would not give up on him till he tries him at multiple friendlies and expect him to be in the list of 35. If he is not selected for the final squad, given that we would be a more defensive team than the qualifiers, I would think more central and defensive midfielders would be selected rather than giving a chance to another attacking player.

zoozanagheh

Bench Warmer
Feb 6, 2005
Yes, agreed. but CQ used to rotate between Dejagah and Shojaei in the same position during different games. That's why I mentioned him. Ghoddos is definitely Dejagah's replacement.
I have not seen Ghoddos in a full game that many times, I have seen him more in attacking role in the highlights. How is he as far as defensive work, holding the ball in the middle of the field, setting the tempo of the game and distributing the ball are concerned?

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
I have not seen Ghoddos in a full game that many times, I have seen him more in attacking role in the highlights. How is he as far as defensive work, holding the ball in the middle of the field, setting the tempo of the game and distributing the ball are concerned?
In my opinion he's the new Dejagah, only a level or 2 lower than him. He can get there in 2-3 years though but I think in more or less all aspects he's a smaller version of him.

A8K

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
fuck.ir
ساعاتی پیش بازیهای دوستانه تیم ملی ایران تا جام جهانی ۲۰۱۸ اعلام شد و در عین ناباوری نه خبری از بازی دوستانه با ترکیه است و نه بازی دوستانه با ایتالیا و نه هیچ تیم اروپایی دیگر! البته سایت فدراسیون فوتبال اطلاعات دیگری در مورد بازیهای دیگر تیم ملی با دیگر کشورها نداده اما طبق ان چیزی که کارلوس کیروش بعد از قرعه کشی جام جهانی در محل برگزاری قرعه کشی در روسیه اعلام کرد، تیم ملی تا جام جهانی ۷ دیدار دوستانه در برنامه ش گنجانده شده که با نگاهی به لیست اعلامی سایت فدراسیون فوتبال، تنها نام ۵ حریف تدراکاتی را می بینیم. حال مشخص نیست آیا بازی دوستانه جدیدی قرار است به این لیست، اضافه شود یا خیر؟ اما با توجه به فیکس شدن این بازیها به نظر نمی رسد بازیهای دوستانه چندان مناسبی برای تیم ملی تدارک دیده شده باشد چرا که عمدتاً این بازیهای دوستانه با هدف قرار دادن آمادگی برای رویارویی با مراکش ترتیب داده شده اند و نه پرتغال و اسپانیا!

لیست بازیهای تدراکاتی تیم ملی ایران تا جام جهانی ۲۰۱۸

با توجه به این نوع آماده سازی تیم ملی، به نظر می رسد باز هم کیروش تیم ملی را برای یک حذف آبرومند در جام جهانی آماده خواهد کرد و تمام توان خود را برای شکست مراکش به کار خواهد گرفت و با ارائه یک دفاع اتوبوسی مقابل اسپانیا و پرتغال قصد دارد همان کاری را انجام دهد که مقابل آرژانتین در جام جهانی قبل انجام داد!

https://dropball.ir/شوک-به-فوتبال-ایران؛-بازیهای-تدارکاتی/

Update on TM friendlies according to Khabaronline, with major changes (in Italic) to the previous post being:

Iran-Tunisia on 23March/3 Farvardin in Tunisia
Iran-Syria 11 May/11 Ord. in Tehran or Qatar
Iran-Uzb 18 May/28 Ord in Tehran or Qatar
Iran-Greece 2 June/12 Khordad in Istanbul

ایران – ترکیه، ۷ خرداد ۹۷، استانبول
یران – یونان، ۱۲ خرداد ۹۷، استانبول
ایران – لیتوانی، ۱۸ خرداد ۹۷، روسیه
ایران – مراکش، ۲۵ خرداد ۹۷، سن پترزبورگ
ایران – اسپانیا، ۳۰ خرداد ۹۷، کازان
ایران – پرتغال، ۴ تیر ۹۷، سارانسک

zoozanagheh

Bench Warmer
Feb 6, 2005
^ How reliable is this source? I would be very surprised if they cut any game just few days after Saket gave a full list on a most watched program on national tv.

The news you posted refers to IFF site as its source, I looked at IFF web site and did not find any news regarding the friendlies. Perhaps I somehow missed it, would you pleae provide a direct link to the IFF statement on their site?

Last edited: