Torontonian friends ....

Oct 1, 2004
Dont want to be party pooper.
but what is us iranian's obsession with kabab! it is our lease complex food!

I plan to visit Toronto sooner rather than later. what is the best Dizi place?
Unless you have a decent charcoal bbq, it doesn't taste the same at home.
Its like how Americans love steak. They can make it at home, but they get it at restaurants.

But in general, I'd agree, most Iranians are very close minded with food. If I want to sit down and hear a million complaints about the food, I go out with Iranians.
More importantly, we've done a terrible job of marketing our food. We are hesitant to try our own foods from different areas (see arguments that happen because someone likes fesenjoon sour, someone likes it sweet) even though we are blessed with amazing variety, taste and textures.

yeah exactly! Poole ghertibazishoon ro migiran! The waiter/waitress keeps u waiting, comes with 3 piece of bread to start and then at the end u realize they even charge for appetizer bread!lol

LOOL! Hamino begu Nader jan! No recommendation is accepted from people who've left friendly Canada for Trump land! ;) :( :chase:

Fariborz jan,
When are u coming? We should meet up if you have time! :)
I tried Gilane about 3 weeks ago, and it was pretty good.
If you need great ambience and great kebab, try Shahrzad. Its consistently good. The only downside is its only open after 5pm. Or else its a great place to go with guests. Its so beautiful inside, u feel like you've been to Kashan/Esfahan.
. thanks Nilou jan , We are always Mozahem , hopefully next time . We've got a lot to talk about :cheers:

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
i have gone alot of $hitty iranian or Afghan restaurants that do a ok job with Kabab Kubideh or Chenjeh ...
Have not seen any place that does Kabab Bonab, Dandeh Kabab

I have seen few places in LA that say have something like "Koofteh Tabrizi"

I honestly have more confidence in my ability to whip up a Ok kabab. but for the life of me I will never be able to do Ghormeh Sabzi, Koofteh tabrizi.

i have gone alot of $hitty iranian or Afghan restaurants that do a ok job with Kabab Kubideh or Chenjeh ...
Have not seen any place that does Kabab Bonab, Dandeh Kabab

I have seen few places in LA that say have something like "Koofteh Tabrizi"

I honestly have more confidence in my ability to whip up a Ok kabab. but for the life of me I will never be able to do Ghormeh Sabzi, Koofteh tabrizi.
I cook a lot and I like to cook complicated foods regardless of its nationality , Let's say it's my biggest hobby next to football and watching Iranian TV series but I always believe there are certain things you need to eat out and chelo kabab is one of them . no matter how good you make it but I have to eat that at the restaurant.

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Manam baladam az khodam tarif konam. Shoma kabab dorost kon, 4-5 nafar az ISP (including yours truly) ro davat kon, ma nazar midim.
I did say OK. did not say great.

but the other foods i mentioned i don't think I will ever be good at cooking up a mediocre one!

big difference. hence my observation that iranian folks just eat Kabab

which is just fine for an individual. but eventually it results into non-Iranians to know about kabab. and the old adage that if you want good food you have to go and Iranian's house.

--
I personally think Kabab is so important to us because historically (until 50 years ago) eating meat was something that a common man basically never had the chance of doing. the common sharecropper in Iran just had yogurt with bread or cheese with bread for his lunch.
and maybe once a month abgoosht with basically alot of donbeh. bones and no actual meat.

I think that leads to our endless love-affair with kabab.
and honestly that is even true abroad.

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
Now just out of curiosity ,those of you who are old enough to remember ,have you ever tasted a burger as good as the one that Yekta in Mahmoudieh shemiran used to do ?

That burger was awesome ......

Payandeh Iran

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
Yekta to this day is my fav. Burger and all other food they served. Used to live 5 minutes away from it for over 15 years

Last edited:

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
Just got back home. Gilaneh was great, honestly the good was great . Nader jan we should meet next time and we should definitely get Nilou to join us

we also visit St Lawrence Market and Ripley's Aquarium

What is that to the right of bread ? is it Dolmeh of some kind ? ........that bread looks dodgy though ....