Touraj Houshmanzadeh, the American Football Player Talks about his Heritage!

OldFan

Bench Warmer
Feb 4, 2005
This is from 2001, but this is the first time that I have seen how much he hates his Dad. Why he has not changed his last name!

http://bengals.enquirer.com/2001/08/18/ben_bengals_pick_catches.html

who has attracted as much attention as any Bengal at training camp, is the rookie wide receiver from Oregon State with deep speed and gold teeth whose cousin is Keyshawn Johnson. T.J. Houshmandzadeh is the second rookie wide receiver from Oregon State. The other guy. Taken in the seventh round by the Bengals, five rounds after they took his college teammate.

But Houshmandzadeh (pronounced hussh-mahn-ZAH-duh) is determined to establish his own identity outside Johnson's shadow.

For one, Houshmandzadeh possibly has the longest hair of any NFL player. He hasn't cut it since 1997. It's braided and flows from beneath his helmet down to the top of his back.

Houshmandzadeh also stands out because, if he makes the Bengals' opening day roster, it's believed he'll be only the second player of Iranian heritage in NFL history. Guard Shar Pourdanesh, who played five seasons for the Steelers, was born in Iran in 1972 and fled the country during the 1979 revolution.

But Houshmandzadeh, whose first name is Toraj, wants to be known for his football skills.

Although he has been slowed in the past week by a foot injury and is questionable for next Saturday's preseason game against Buffalo, he will be one of the Bengals' wide receivers this season.

So far, he has returned four kickoffs for a 21-yard average and one punt for eight yards.

“Special teams is my role now,” he said. “We have so many good receivers. When I get my opportunity, I got to make my plays.”

Houshmandzadeh was Oregon State's leading receiver last season with 48 receptions, 11 more than Johnson, for 730 yards.

He slipped in the draft because of uncertainty surrounding his 40-yard dash time, but he ran a 4.38 for Bengals wide receivers coach Steve Mooshagian in March.

“I like his size,” Mooshagian said of the 6-foot-1, 197-pound receiver. “He's got speed and quickness to go with the size. You usually find one or the other with big receivers, rarely both. And he's got a good set of hands.”

The Bengals' receiving corps is crowded and deep. Darnay Scott, Peter Warrick and Johnson are the top three. Danny Farmer has taken hold of the fourth spot. The fifth and sixth spots are between Ron Dugans and Houshmandzadeh.

But the Bengals are wary of exposing Houshmandzadeh by putting him on the practice squad, where another team could claim him. Houshmandzadeh played in both preseason games. In Chicago, the referees said nothing about his hair. In Detroit, they told him to tuck his pony tail into the back of his jersey.

He doesn't worry about another player pulling his hair, though one college opponent grabbed it by accident during a tackle.

“If you pin it up, it hurts in your helmet,” he said. Would he cut it to make the team? “I don't feel it would come down to that,” he said. “I'm not going to cut it. I like my hair, really.”

Houshmandzadeh thinks even less often about his Iranian heritage.

His mother, Deborah Johnson, is African-American. She met T.J.'s father while they were students at San Diego State University in the mid-1970s.

“It's a part of me, but I don't consider that me because I didn't grow up around it.” Houshmandzadeh said.

Deborah and Toraj Sr. planned to marry, but he wanted her to return to Iran with him.

“My grandmother told me he used to buy my mother all these diamonds,” T.J. said. “He came back and asked her again, but she said no again. I couldn't care less about my (inheritance). He ain't ever done nothing for me. I don't need him now.” Now, Houshmandzadeh wants to make his mark on the NFL, never mind the exotic hair and ancestry.

Oct 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA USA
Ive been a fan of his since Oregon State... He actually a very nice guy, just has a chip on his shoulder because his mother raised him alone... Cant really blame the guy but I respect him for not changing his name...

romario187

Bench Warmer
Sep 29, 2004
Los Angeles
Guys chill!!!
His dad didn't raise him, and let's be honest, do you think his mom would've fit in back in Iran?? Cut the guy some slack, he's bitter because he was raised without a dad!

RoozbehAzadi

National Team Player
Nov 19, 2002
I think if he actually HATED his Iranian heritage, he would've changed his last name a long time ago. He's just pissed off from all the trouble his mom had to go through raising him alone and the way his dad left without ever even making some contact to see how he's doing. Think about it, if you had a parent who knew you existed but didn't want to even call you on the phone to say hi, how'd you feel about it?

Behrang(ISP)

King of Posts
Oct 16, 2002
www.iransportspress.com
I don't know if he really hates his iranian heretage but really some other guys here said it right the on the spot. His father left him and his mother and never supported them? Maybe if his father sent money back to the family when he went to Iran or whatever but any father who just leaves a kid and the mother of his kid with no support has done one of the biggest wrongs in my book. Iranian, American, Chinese or Marshian you don't do that... I'd hate my father if he did that also... The kid's got a right to have a chip on his shoulder

Behrang(ISP)

King of Posts
Oct 16, 2002
www.iransportspress.com
well he's a damn good football player... he is part irani and hsi father who was irani wronged him... maybe if his father cared about him and did not just leave all of us here would be saying WOW another irani has made it in the NFL... It is a big deal to be a starter in the NFL... it's much tougher than our own football (soccer).

Zir Taaghi

Bench Warmer
May 22, 2004
T.O Canada
www.iiaf.net
as far as I'm concerned the only true Iranian representative in NFL so far has been the Redskins OL, the one and only Shahriar Pourdanesh

Shahriar Pourdanesh
Offensive Lineman, Washington Redskins

Shahriar Pourdanesh (known as Shar Pourdanesh to his many Redskin fans), was born in Iran. He came to the United States with his family after leaving Iran during the Iranian revolution in 1979. He attended University High School in Irvine, California where he was an all-league offensive lineman and was the fourth-ranked heavyweight wrestler in the state. He attended college at the University of Nevada in Reno where he was a dominant offensive lineman. As a senior in 1992, he was named to the first team All-Conference for the Big West Conference. Shar joined the Redskins after two seasons with the Baltimore Stallions of the Canadian Football League (CFL) and is the first Iranian to play NFL football. In 1994 Shar was named CFL Offensive Lineman of the Year for the Baltimore Stallions and was named to the CFL all-star team in 1994 and 1995. During the 1996 Redskins' season Shar proved a very versatile player, playing both left tackle and right tackle.

#67 Shar Pourdanesh

Position: Tackle
Season: 1st
Height: 6-6
Weight: 313
College: Nevada-Reno
Acquired: Free agent, signed on March 20, 1996
Born: July 19, 1970

rookie linebacker R-Kal Trueluck (63) gets a mouthful of his own facemask during an altercation with second year backup offensive tackle Shar Pourdanesh (67) during morning workouts at training camp at Frostburg State University in Frostburg, Md. Monday July 28, 1997.

Oct 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA USA
I was a big fan of Pourdanesh... He grew up in Irvine, CA... He then went on to start for my Redskins... However, the first season in which he was a starter, in the first game, he let Michael Strahan and the rest of the giants team just demolish Gus Frerotte. I think he was responsible for 4 sacks that game... We started calling him Shar "Look Out!" Pourdanesh... I think hes a back up somewhere now...

Zir Taaghi

Bench Warmer
May 22, 2004
T.O Canada
www.iiaf.net
yup, his name's in Raiders' roster ..

SHAR POURDANESH Oakland Raiders | T | #68
College: Nevada Rookie Yr: 1996
Ht., Wt.: 6'6", 312
Contract Status: Inactive
NFL Exp.: 6
Born: July 19, 1972 in Teheran , Iran

#68 Shar Pourdanesh

Height: 6-6
Weight: 312 lbs.
Pos: Offensive Tackle

Born: July 19, 1972, Teheran
Experience: 6 years
College: Nevada

Mehran(ISP)

<b>Administrator</b>
Oct 16, 2002
MD, USA
mishler said:
If he doesnt care where he came from he could also change his name.

What? what would you say if you were in his shoes? it shows that you have no understanding of other people. His dad is to blame on this

Zir Taaghi

Bench Warmer
May 22, 2004
T.O Canada
www.iiaf.net
Behrang(ISP) said:
I don't think Shar is playing anymore his contract says Inactive... He was good, I wish he was still around.
I think he suffered a career ending injury, his shoulder I believe...but somehow he has remained on the roster list which gotta have to do with his contract and the nature and seriousness of the injury..