UEFA sets foreign player limits....

ibrahim

Bench Warmer
Oct 20, 2002
Sydney
European clubs will have to include four home-grown players in their squads from 2006 if they are to compete in Europe following an announcement from UEFA.

Soccer's governing body in Europe has confirmed that the ruling will come in next year and is aiming to have the number increased to six in 2007 and eight in 2008.

UEFA has made the ruling in relation to the Champions League and UEFA Cup competitions, but wants to implement the plan in domestic leagues, although that would have to be agreed by each national association.

Of the eight players, at least four will have had to be trained by the club's own academy, while the rest will need to have been trained in the same country.

The definition of a club-trained player in the eyes of UEFA is one that has been registered for a minimum of three seasons with the club between the age of 15 and 21.

Of the 32 teams that lined up at the start of last season's Champions League five - Arsenal, Chelsea, Celtic, Rangers and Ajax - would not have had enough home grown players.

The 52 member associations of UEFA will meet at a Congress in Estonia in April where a vote will be taken on whether the same rule should apply to domestic competitions.

While the ruling has already received strong opposition from the English Premier League and the Italian federation, UEFA chief Lars-Christer Olsson believes it is a reasonable compromise.

"Although we have had negative responses from some leagues and some bigger clubs in those leagues, all the others involved have been very supportive of this idea," he told BBC Sport.

"We also think the proposal is legal, because it is a sporting rule, not as a restriction, to develop and promote young players."

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
Great news!
In this way, 2-3 teams with high-calibur players from other countries wont win trophies as much, while their local players tend to sign with the weakest teams..

dont worry our players will be taken by good clubs, anywas!:)

ALI M.D

Bench Warmer
Jul 8, 2003
Montreal
This is great I bet this will make real madrid a better team. Most dont know that but I guarantee it. Theres one to many stars in that team. To many Igos to little space. It will infavore to the.

Ali(ISP)

Tottenham till I die
Oct 16, 2002
Southampton, UK
Niloufar said:
Great news!
In this way, 2-3 teams with high-calibur players from other countries wont win trophies as much, while their local players tend to sign with the weakest teams..

dont worry our players will be taken by good clubs, anywas!:)
did u know if this rule was in place arsenal wouldnt be in CL this year?

this will never happen in EPL, and i dont see it happen in italy either. its against the law! (european law of free movement of workers through EU).