UN backs no-fly zone over Libya

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
^^I agree with Ron Paul but for selfish reasons I don't object to the Libyan mission because I feel IR's demise is somehow more likely with this mission. If this isn't going to embolden our people I dont know what will. Think about it, all this repression and the imprisonment of every political person there is, the subsidy removals and the inflation level and the total economic collapse along with these events in N Africa/ME. If the people don't stand up now, I doubt if they will in the near future.

May 12, 2007
That is what I keep saying.
Obama is smart. Using air protection and Ghadafis own opposition he is achieving the same affect as may Bush did using two hundred tousand soldiers. Then since Libians will have to transform to a new government on their own he is free for being accused about Libians oil. The message to Iran is now clear. Those who still support IRI will begin to realize there is a limit to what they can do and therefor they may join people. Specially the government of Iran is more isolated losing Libya and hopefully syria.

Oct 1, 2004
That is what I keep saying.
Obama is smart. Using air protection and Ghadafis own opposition he is achieving the same affect as may Bush did using two hundred tousand soldiers. Then since Libians will have to transform to a new government on their own he is free for being accused about Libians oil. The message to Iran is now clear. Those who still support IRI will begin to realize there is a limit to what they can do and therefor they may join people. Specially the government of Iran is more isolated losing Libya and hopefully syria.
Dire jan.
Libya has been "nokare Gharb o estekbar" for the past 8 years according to IR. They couldn't be happier to see Ghadaffi go.
Besides if Ghadaffi goes another Saudi puppet will walk in.

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
Dire jan.
Libya has been "nokare Gharb o estekbar" for the past 8 years according to IR. They couldn't be happier to see Ghadaffi go.
He is not like Mobarak. Besides I doubt if IR will be happy to see Ghadaffi gone especially in the manner he will be gone.

May 12, 2007
Dire jan.
I would prefer to live under a Saudi like government than IRI or Ghadafi. According to IRI any one who critisise IRI is connected with US.
What I meant is the strategy. A peacefull protest in egypten lead to peoples victory. In Iran and Libya it failed. So the message to IRI is that airprotection and by arming people they are removeable. Then hopefully IRI thugs will see themself against a tough enemy and change side.

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
There is no similarity between Iran and Libya. From all accounts there is an army of "rebels" who can fight and win wars against the Libyan army. We have no such forces. You can bring the same level of air support to Iran and nothing will happen because no one is fighting to need the support. The lesson for akhoonds is to redouble their effort to get their hands on nuclear weapons. It is still far from clear how Libya will turn out. If 3 months from now Gaddafi is still there, this war may not look very wise.

Dec 12, 2002
usa
ghazaffi has been puppit of oil companies for over 30 years and for exact same reason he has been exporting all kinda eslmic revolution , radical moslem movement to all moslemcountries .
however akhounds learn how to utlizing any hapenning for their own ffavour and domestic consumption propaganda.
agge oonam nagand ke deleshoon miterke .
all despotic regimes in north africa ,ME have been biggest supporters of akhound's regime ,suadi, syria,lybia ,qatar ,emrat they all friends of akhounds and their brutal regime .

Jun 7, 2004
There is no similarity between Iran and Libya. From all accounts there is an army of "rebels" who can fight and win wars against the Libyan army. We have no such forces. You can bring the same level of air support to Iran and nothing will happen because no one is fighting to need the support. The lesson for akhoonds is to redouble their effort to get their hands on nuclear weapons. It is still far from clear how Libya will turn out. If 3 months from now Gaddafi is still there, this war may not look very wise.
It is highly unlikely that Ghaddafi is there three months from now. He can only buy supporters. Now that the oil is gone, and his money is frozen out, he just will last as long as he has money on hand. I doubt if that will last more than a few weeks from now.

Ghadafi will be gone. And there is no doubt that this is a blow to the Islamic Republic. Not a major blow, but still a blow. This is because of the tyranny of the status quo. The status quo has just been moved.

Makaveli

IPL Player
Jan 28, 2006
It is highly unlikely that Ghaddafi is there three months from now. He can only buy supporters. Now that the oil is gone, and his money is frozen out, he just will last as long as he has money on hand. I doubt if that will last more than a few weeks from now.

Ghadafi will be gone. And there is no doubt that this is a blow to the Islamic Republic. Not a major blow, but still a blow. This is because of the tyranny of the status quo. The status quo has just been moved.
I don't know if you know this, but Ghaddafi has a lot of gold that he bought in the 1980s. His army could survive off of that for a very long time.

I also don't agree with the second part of what you said. In international relations they refer to the US and it's "moderate" Arab allies as "status quo" powers in the Middle East. Iran and it's allies and proxies want to overturn the status quo. This Arab spring so far has benefited Iranian interests.

May 12, 2007
I think US evaluates Iran to be the most difficult. Before an eventual confrontation with Iran they want Iran to be in it's weekest shape. Now they proceed in Libya and Syria. I blieve in the news that Iran have sent forces to syria. Can they have enough forces inside and outside Iran
at anytime? When it boils inside Iran Sepah will have to call their forces home. Then they leave Syria, Palestine etc alone.
I was watching Forman vs Ali boxing the other day. When I was young I thought Ali won by chance but at this age I reallize and could see how tired Forman was in the end.

Feb 17, 2009
1:56pm
The United Kingdom has expelled five Libyan diplomats, including the embassy's military attache, citing "grave concern" at the Gaddafi regime's behaviour, Reuters has reported

Feb 17, 2009
2:06pm A spokesman for Ugandan president Yoweri Museveni says Uganda would welcome Gaddafi if he were to seek asylum there, the AP news agency reports.

Feb 17, 2009
3:22pm
The Libyan government has threatened to sue any international company enterign into energy deals with the rebels, Reuters said, citing the official news agency.

The government said only the state oil company has the right to conclude energy exploration, production and marketing deals.

Feb 17, 2009
3:35pm Al Jazeera has learnt from sources on the ground that Gaddafi troops are on their way to Brega.

Reuters is reporting that pro-Gaddafi forces are pressing further east with an artillery offensive against rebel fighters. A rebel fighter, Mohamed al-Abreigi, told Reuters:

We are going to Ajdabiyah. We will gather there and, God willing, we will head back to Brega today.

Feb 17, 2009
3:50pm France says Qatar is playing an "essential" role in UN-mandated coalition operations over Libya.

Speaking to French and Qatari pilots during a 90-minute visit to the Souda military base on the island of Crete on Wednesday, Gerard Longuet, the defence minister, said:

Qatar is essential at this time. This is the first time that there is such a level of understanding between Europe and the Arab world.

Souda-based French and Qatari Mirage fighters have jointly operated over Libya since March 24.

Feb 17, 2009
4:13pm Oil shipments from Africa's third-largest producer have been blocked for weeks due to heavy fighting and international sanctions. Shipping sources say shipments remain at a standstill, with no one hiring oil tankers.

A shipping source told Reuters:

There has been no crude oil, no fuel oil and no clean products out of Libya for about 10 or 12 days. There is no Libya enquiry at the moment from anywhere.

Feb 17, 2009
4:40pm
Libyan families are fleeing the eastern town of Ajdabiya towards the rebel stronghold of Benghazi on Wednesday as counter-attacks by pro-Gaddafi forces prompt a panic retreat of rebel fighters.