US government targeting Iranian-Americans again H.R.158

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
Canada is not included and that's mainly because it's not as easy to get a Canadian passport compared to a European passport . Canada's immigration laws are strict just like the US .
US laws are not strict at all. It is a complete joke. I know grandmas that don't speak a word of English and got their citizenship by just coming here 5 times since getting their green card. Now it is 10 times (twice a year for 5 years). Also for the test they get a note from the Dr. that they have Alzheimers.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
US laws are not strict at all. It is a complete joke. I know grandmas that don't speak a word of English and got their citizenship by just coming here 5 times since getting their green card. Now it is 10 times (twice a year for 5 years). Also for the test they get a note from the Dr. that they have Alzheimers.
Well you have a fair point there take a look at all of the Armo's they bring their grandparents here so they can collect on the social security. They get grandma and grandpa and stick them in a room and collect on that SS check. That is why they live in an apt in Glendale yet you see them driving in a BMW. Now it seems like if you want to be LEGIT and become a US citizen the legit way it is still not easy. Yes there are those who don't speak a word of English but even those who come here the dirty way, they still need to fill out the paperwork. It is harder than before becoming a US Citizen and I think Canada is the easiest of all. All you need to do is live there for 3-4 years as BT pointed out, have residency and bam. You are right though there are ways around the system and if you really want to cheat the USA, it is not that hard to do it. Every Ara does this trick and then with the money left over from the BMW dud bro, they send their kids to Armenian private schools. Those schools are not cheap I can tell you that much.

maziar95

Elite Member
Oct 20, 2002
Baltimore, MD
I guess it depends on who is doing the interview , My grandmother who lived here for 20 years and cant speak English hasn't been able to get her citizenship even with doctors note and shes tried a few times.

Dec 30, 2014
Well you have a fair point there take a look at all of the Armo's they bring their grandparents here so they can collect on the social security. They get grandma and grandpa and stick them in a room and collect on that SS check. That is why they live in an apt in Glendale yet you see them driving in a BMW. .
Couple of things:

As far as I know, you cannot collect Social Security if you have not worked. What most of the "grandparents" do is collect welfare or other programs designed to help the needy. It is a deplorable act, but it is practiced by many immigrant communities, from Iranians,to Hispanics to Chinese. There are even companies in CA that advertise their services to get you a monthly stipend. It is NOT social security. Funny thing is that many of them refer to it as their "salary"!!

The ease of the citizenship test really depends on who is proctoring it. There are people who "pass" without speaking any English, and there are those who fail repeatedly.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Couple of things:

As far as I know, you cannot collect Social Security if you have not worked. What most of the "grandparents" do is collect welfare or other programs designed to help the needy. It is a deplorable act, but it is practiced by many immigrant communities, from Iranians,to Hispanics to Chinese. There are even companies in CA that advertise their services to get you a monthly stipend. It is NOT social security. Funny thing is that many of them refer to it as their "salary"!!

The ease of the citizenship test really depends on who is proctoring it. There are people who "pass" without speaking any English, and there are those who fail repeatedly.
Ok I just did a check and you are 100% correct. Social Security and Welfare are two different things. In order to collect for social security, you need to be of a certain age(I think it is 65 in most states) and you had to work for # number of years. Now what they do like you said is they go on Welfare. For example, a single person can get $194 on food stamps, now called "Snap" These programs are designed as you said, to help those who are actually needy and live below the poverty line. Most states have a limit like if you make over $1200 you are not qualified. All Ara and Elena need to do is just have two of them collect SNAP and that is $400 right there in their pocket. It is a very deplorable act and it is disgusting. I remember, for four years, I struggled finding work and I was living off of a ridiculous budget $100 a week, teaching piano and various odd jobs. I NEVER applied for SNAP but I notice that immigrants in the Iranian, Hispanic or people in the black community do this all the time.
Then they wonder why conservatives do not want more immigrants to come into this country! For me I about had it and I am getting to the point where I say eff it let's temporarily close the boarder until our finances get better. The reason why this pisses me off so much is because Jose and Mohammed can get free programs but veterans are homeless and one out of every five children will SLEEP HUNGRY TONIGHT. One out of every FOUR Americans live below the poverty line and the line is only $15,000 for a single person. Until we solve our own issues maybe we need to not only close our boarders but go to the source of the problem and re evaluate our foreign policy. Maybe that is a source of the problem as well. I believe just like mathematics, there usually is MORE THAN ONE VARIABLE AT PLAY.
How about instead of supporting other countries ie Israel giving them $3,000,000,000 a year(now Netanyaho wants 10 years 50,000,000,000) or supporting corporations with dividends and corporate write offs, lets solve the children and veterans homeless problem first. Oh and not that I have anything against peaceful Jewish people some of my best friends are Jewish and very open minded but it is time that Israel and other nations stand on their own feet and it might be time where we need to make some tough decisions that are not popular, in order to make America well again. Again, we need to re evaluate some of our foreign policies. It is disgusting that immigrants collect welfare and veterans who sacrificed so much cannot even get proper medicine and do not have a place to sleep. I know I had to touch on several key points so I had to discuss a few different issues but this REALLY FRIES ME UP.

Last edited:

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
Well you have a fair point there take a look at all of the Armo's they bring their grandparents here so they can collect on the social security. They get grandma and grandpa and stick them in a room and collect on that SS check. That is why they live in an apt in Glendale yet you see them driving in a BMW. Now it seems like if you want to be LEGIT and become a US citizen the legit way it is still not easy. Yes there are those who don't speak a word of English but even those who come here the dirty way, they still need to fill out the paperwork. It is harder than before becoming a US Citizen and I think Canada is the easiest of all. All you need to do is live there for 3-4 years as BT pointed out, have residency and bam. You are right though there are ways around the system and if you really want to cheat the USA, it is not that hard to do it. Every Ara does this trick and then with the money left over from the BMW dud bro, they send their kids to Armenian private schools. Those schools are not cheap I can tell you that much.
It is SSI not SS.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
I know most people though call it Social Security and here is their website. https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/
There is an SSA Social Security Administration as well.
https://www.ssa.gov/
Most states have a limit on collecting disability. For example, in Nevada, I believe it is $1070 and if you are blind $1800. This is the max monthly limit you can make a month otherwise you will not get SSI. Two people can get between 7-800 a month so when the Armenians or other minorities, I pick Armenians because I used to live in La Crescenta for a while, you can pocket between $1400 -$1600. With Snap, for a single person, you can get up to $194 in CA.
Two people get snap, grandpa and grandma, that is almost $400 right there. That is how they milk the system. Plus you can get medical or here it is Healthcare plan of Nevada and you can find a doctor who will see you. Now I actually used that one but that was before I got my VA medical stuff taken care of. Anyways it is very easy to do however, I did some research. Most of the applications get DENIED so you see those who get SSI but for most states it is like 70/30. You can appeal but again your chances are not that great. You need to meet certain criteria, fill out a report, they check with your doctor etc. You also need to wait about 9 months. It is not as easy as filing out the paperwork today and bam they cut you out a check tomorrow.

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
We have British passports and wanted to take our kids to Disney next summer. After this decision by the US government, I have decided screw the fascist bastards. I won't be going to apply for a visa. Why should I? I will go to Paris Disney instead.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
@Behrooz C jan, I know we don't always see eye to eye and I seldom respond to you but I actually understand your position on this. Also, I spent time in both USA and Paris. Trust me, your kids are going to have a much better time in Paris, there is so much more to see. To me Disneyland is very overrated anyways, of course when I as a kid I always got sick on roller coasters so that might have something to do with it but I don't understand the fascination. You pay an arm and a leg for tickets, food and parking just to start. I am not even talking about the plane tickets and price for a hotel. Then, you wait hours in line for a five minute ride. This is of course after the TSA will probably search you because you are a foreigner. Take your kids to some cool places. At the Louvre, there is a cool section on Iran. My dad and I went there just to see that and I am sure your kids will enjoy it. There is also great eatery and reasonable prices in the Latin Quarters. Forget the USA man if I could, I would totally live in another country but when you have obligations and a life here, it is hard to leave a country.

Nov 29, 2002
This is amazing, when there are so many high-profile iranian americans, so much money and influence, how can they get away with it?

And for the eyeranians on this board who are anti-obama, instead of a norouz message you're gonna get a heap of shit dumped on your lawn when Trump gets in. They won't give a crap how cool your neighbourhood superbowl party is, or how big your thanksgiving turkey is. You can try to be as american as you want, but you're gonna be on a red-list even if you were born in the states.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
This is amazing, when there are so many high-profile iranian americans, so much money and influence, how can they get away with it?

And for the eyeranians on this board who are anti-obama, instead of a norouz message you're gonna get a heap of shit dumped on your lawn when Trump gets in. They won't give a crap how cool your neighbourhood superbowl party is, or how big your thanksgiving turkey is. You can try to be as american as you want, but you're gonna be on a red-list even if you were born in the states.
I am no Trump guy but I am also not 100% on board with everything Obama did. As for your statement it depends on the Iranian American and your looks. I am again not trying to talk about myself but if you "Look American or European" and do not speak with an accent(was born here) then you will not be red listed. If you look like you came off the boat or you can say, "I am from Iran or Saudi Arabia" and it won't make a difference, then yes you will be red listed. Iranians come in all shapes sizes and colors just look at the difference between Iranians whose family are from where my family is from ie Azerbaijan vs someone from Bandar E Abbas and anywhere in between. I think it depends on the individual hell in the Navy I had a TSSC(Top Secret Security Clearance). Being that I am a centrist I don't think leftists are the answer to this country so Obama is out but at the same time I don't think right wingers are right either so trump is out. We need a middle of the road candidate who can work with people across both party lines. I suppose that is another story for another day but I just wanted to give you a different perspective, just playing the devil's advocate on the whole "eye ranian" red list thing.

As for the Iranian American community, everyone needs to band together no matter what part of Iran you are from or no matter what your religion/ethnic make up or whatever is. I am doing the best I can to round up the troops and I put my name on the signature. I hope more Iranian Americans do the same and stop being so apathetic. I don't know if they think this is a joke or whatever but people will be affected by this. I happen to agree with you on that point and we need to come together in these times it doesn't matter what your complexion is deep down everyone is Iranian be it born in Iran, USA or whatever. That is the way I look at it and maybe coming from a military background, I see things differently. I like the military philosophy of we all bleed red it doesn't matter what your last name is, it matters what the name on your uniform says and all of that good stuff. We need to put aside our bs prejudice ie Turks are dumb, people from Gazvin are gay, people from Rasht are whores etc and come together on this issue.

Nov 24, 2002
Az Maziar said, Canada is yet to be affected by this.

A saving grace for us Canadians could be the enmeshed nature of corporate policies between US and Canada. It's almost impossible for corporations active in both countries (which is most corporations in Canada) to adapt to this.

I have no idea how my employer could keep me if these restrictions affected me.
As nader said, as professional Canadian worker in US, you get TN visa so you are good to go and can travel between two countries anytime you want.

The questions is those Canadians who live in state, if let say they travel to Iran from Canada, will they still have issue entering US and do they need visa?

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
I am no Trump guy but I am also not 100% on board with everything Obama did. As for your statement it depends on the Iranian American and your looks. I am again not trying to talk about myself but if you "Look American or European" and do not speak with an accent(was born here) then you will not be red listed. If you look like you came off the boat or you can say, "I am from Iran or Saudi Arabia" and it won't make a difference, then yes you will be red listed. Iranians come in all shapes sizes and colors just look at the difference between Iranians whose family are from where my family is from ie Azerbaijan vs someone from Bandar E Abbas and anywhere in between. I think it depends on the individual hell in the Navy I had a TSSC(Top Secret Security Clearance). Being that I am a centrist I don't think leftists are the answer to this country so Obama is out but at the same time I don't think right wingers are right either so trump is out. We need a middle of the road candidate who can work with people across both party lines. I suppose that is another story for another day but I just wanted to give you a different perspective, just playing the devil's advocate on the whole "eye ranian" red list thing.

As for the Iranian American community, everyone needs to band together no matter what part of Iran you are from or no matter what your religion/ethnic make up or whatever is. I am doing the best I can to round up the troops and I put my name on the signature. I hope more Iranian Americans do the same and stop being so apathetic. I don't know if they think this is a joke or whatever but people will be affected by this. I happen to agree with you on that point and we need to come together in these times it doesn't matter what your complexion is deep down everyone is Iranian be it born in Iran, USA or whatever. That is the way I look at it and maybe coming from a military background, I see things differently. I like the military philosophy of we all bleed red it doesn't matter what your last name is, it matters what the name on your uniform says and all of that good stuff. We need to put aside our bs prejudice ie Turks are dumb, people from Gazvin are gay, people from Rasht are whores etc and come together on this issue.
You can't be serious. If Trump is gonna be a monster as Dr Moosh said he won't give a shit if your eyes are hazel.

maziar95

Elite Member
Oct 20, 2002
Baltimore, MD

I don't know how you come up with a conclusion that if you look European you wont be targeted. As far as I know if you were born in Iran and/or traveled to Iran you will be targeted so it wont matter if you are the most European looking Iranian that ever existed on this planet as long as your passport says born in Iran you will be targeted. Even those who are not born in Iran but are dual citizens can potentially be targeted so that means even you could be targeted . Iranian Jews , Christians , Bahais will also be targeted so it wont be based on your religion.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
I don't know how you come up with a conclusion that if you look European you wont be targeted. As far as I know if you were born in Iran and/or traveled to Iran you will be targeted so it wont matter if you are the most European looking Iranian that ever existed on this planet as long as your passport says born in Iran you will be targeted. Even those who are not born in Iran but are dual citizens can potentially be targeted so that means even you could be targeted . Iranian Jews , Christians , Bahais will also be targeted so it wont be based on your religion.
My passport says born in the USA. What I was trying to say is IF you look European and your passport says born in the USA and on top of that, you have top secret security clearance, they will not target you. They already did an extensive background check on me and my family members. If they thought I was a threat, the navy would not put me in linguistics and they would not have given me that clearance. If you are born in Iran then you are right, it does not matter at that point, even if you look like Brad Pitt, you will still be targeted. As for the dual citizenship thing, when I applied for that position I did not say anything about the dual citizenship. If you are born in country X then they are going to say, "Where is your passport" but if you are born in the USA, they won't ask you anything. It might not affect me but this law affects my friends and hamvatans so I am going to do my part and round up the troops as best as I can.

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
We have British passports and wanted to take our kids to Disney next summer. After this decision by the US government, I have decided screw the fascist bastards. I won't be going to apply for a visa. Why should I? I will go to Paris Disney instead.

Go to Greece, go to Sardinia, beach is better for kids.