We should lower our expections for Asian Cup and ACL A LOT

Oct 18, 2002
704 Houser
I know we usually have a pretty high opinion of ourselves but I believe the truth is that we have been no more than 2nd rate footballing side in Asia for many years. We have not won anything in Asia at senior level for over 18 years and that's not a trend that is likely to change anytime soon (even Iraq has a title). The only thing meaningful that we've won were Busan Asian games and that was not senior level competition. We have reached the WC twice (just barely) and we finished in 3rd place in AC twice. Same story at club level but at least our clubs have reached a couple of finals. Contrast these accomplishments to those from S. Korea, Japan and KSA and it's not even close. We were arguably the top Asian side for just a very brief period following the 98 WC and since then we done nothing but progressively declined.

Once again I am seeing many signs of delusions from our fans expecting TM to perform miracle at the AC and Zob to somehow beat Al Hilal and lift the trophy. Sorry but it's not gonna happen. I don't have a defeatist attitude. I think I'm being realistic. Reaching the semis is a far more realistic goal for TM and Zob will be out next round. Friendlies are meaningless. This TM is very weak.

houmanbahal

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2005
good post but I disagree with what you are saying. I think Zobahan can reach the final. I saw the Al Hilal game, they were very lucky to score those two goals in last minute so Zobahan should be able to go through them.
Regarding TM, I think with the new players that Ghotbi invited we would do OK in AC. Not sure about winning it all but At least Semi final or even Third place.
any how thats what I think.
:pooya:

Oct 1, 2004
Farsi Zaban jan, there is nothing wrong with being realistic and you are right, we often hype up this team to the point that they have nowhere to go but down.
Having said that there are 2 things in Iranian football that have been missing. A strong mentality and good physical play. If Ghotbi can get this team to start developing those traits, things could end up good.

It does't matter how talented the team is unless it can implement its plans consistently. Look at TM in 2001. To me that was the most talented TM in terms of players that Iran has ever had. Look where they ended up.

Personally, I'm not expecting much this Asian Cup either. The 2 centre-backs are too weak, and I believe the quicker smarter teams will eventually break through Aghili and Hosseini.

Oct 18, 2002
704 Houser
i don't know if my expectations can go any lower, but i'll try
Well, you know Iranian team. They always find a way to pleasantly surprise you. Like that one year we all thought Eses finally had chance to do well in Asia and guess what happened? They forgot they were taking part in the tourney. Oops.

eshghi

News Team
Oct 18, 2002
San Diego, CA
Agree FZ jaan. We have not been "AghAye Asia" for a long long time, but our fans are still stuck in the 70's thinking that we are. Back in the 70's, we'd laugh at the mention of the likes of Japan and KSA. Look how far they have come and how much we have progressed (or rather digressed). Our expectations have to be realistic. Can we win the Asian Cup? Yes, it is possible, but not likely if we take an honest look at ourselves vs. others. If for no other reason, we should all lower our expectations because TM seems to do better when no one expects them to! :) After that diasterous WC94 qualifying campaign, I did not even have the slighterst hope of making it out of our group stage in the 96 Asin Cup. It was our best showing in the Asian Cup in the past 20 years! :)

Nov 24, 2002
semi -final consider the talents and what are football going through can be consider as a victory ..
about zobi , well i think they will do better job against teams like al-hilal than koreans , korean speed kills some weak defence like zob

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
i don't know if my expectations can go any lower, but i'll try
Well, you know Iranian team. They always find a way to pleasantly surprise you. Like that one year we all thought Eses finally had chance to do well in Asia and guess what happened? They forgot they were taking part in the tourney. Oops.
LOOOL!!!!hahaha those were sadly hilarious guys!!!:D

well said Shahin jan. As emotional as we Iranian fans are, we usually hype our own TM based on few results so much at the expense of the opponents' huge improvement in the meanwhile.

At TM, one thing that isnt considered by pundits a lot is that TM is a chain of different components before it can succeed in continental-World stage level. League standard, talent, professionalism, having Europe-bound players, youth development, long-term planning,etc.

If we look at our league level and talents, we've gone through a downfall in the past couple of yrs. Now we only have 2 players in Europe, and the rest are sent back even from their UAE clubs to IPL! I personally dont think we'd have a chance against S.Korea if we reach knock-out stage, Australia maybe but not S.Korea.

but Zob Ahan case is diff. they are a pretty consistent team, great management, planning, youth development and pretty good defensive organization(compare to other IPL teams) to be able to handle Al Hilal.