Well it is WC Time, and my chance to make a pilgrimage to my beloved ISP

Oct 18, 2002
I have been following TM and I am really impressed by the way the team plays. I can not thank Carlos Queiroz enough for what he has done for our football. I am hopeful for a decent showing in WC against 3 very good teams. It is sad that we had to get stuck in such a hard group after playing so great in the qualifications rounds, and especially considering how less deserving teams in Asia got the easier brackets. But such is our luck. We just have to do the best with what we have. I will be happy with a win, a draw and a loss. Getting 4 points out of our group will be a tremendous success in my humble opinion.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Welcome back!

I will be happy with a win, a draw and a loss. Getting 4 points out of our group will be a tremendous success in my humble opinion.
So you wont be happy with a draw and 2 losses? Because that's the most probable scenario that will happen in this group.

Oct 18, 2002
Welcome back!

So you wont be happy with a draw and 2 losses? Because that's the most probable scenario that will happen in this group.
Sly jan, I am happy with 2 draws as well. Of course I would be thrilled if we win 2 or 3 games and achieve what can only be called a miracle. But realistically looking at our opponents I think a draw with either Portugal or Spain will be a huge accomplishment. If we can muster a win against Morocco (a feat that will NOT be easy), I think we can all agree would be a great showing by TM. The goal for me is to showcase our talent and have as many of these players make a transition to European Leagues. We need more players that are in systems that is modern, with facilities and resources that are up to standard, and most importantly with physical conditioning that is needed for the modern game. Unfortunately we lack all of the above in our domestic leagues :(

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
The goal for me is to showcase our talent and have as many of these players make a transition to European Leagues. We need more players that are in systems that is modern, with facilities and resources that are up to standard, and most importantly with physical conditioning that is needed for the modern game. Unfortunately we lack all of the above in our domestic leagues :(
I totally agree with you about the above and judging by the strength of our opponents, I would be happy if our players showed themselves and could get transferred to Europe. But I just can not see us getting a draw against Spain and Portugal even. Neither of them are Argentina. Specially Spain's playing style is just to open up teams who park the bus like Iran. I expect them to score at least 3 goals against us. At a normal scenario where we play well, I expect a draw against Morocco and and 2 losses with not so many received goals. That's the realistic scenario.

But as oghab says, nothing should kill our hopes and the spirit of the WC! So gooooooooooo Iran! I hope we can do a miracle and beat all 3 of them! ;)