What are Iran Chances in Olympics

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
I highly doubt it. Iran will do well in the martial arts events ie judo, TKD, wrestling and weightlifting. After that, ,you might see a few metals in some events here and there. Iran has a problem the facilities for women are deplorable and Iran is basically going to the olympics, with half of their population. When your women do not stand much of a shot, you are really at a a handicap here. Plus, Iran does not have anywhere near the resources as USA, Russia, Germany or China, they just do not. It is what it is, if Iran finishes in the top 20, like they did in London. I will be happy. They finished #20 with 4 Gold 5 Silver 3 Bronze and 12 Total. Not bad for a nation that does not have the resources of the big boys and our women train in 2nd class facilities(our men as well but at least it is a little better with the men).

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Well Turkey is in Turmoil and except 2012 they always rank higher than us.

a significant part of the Russian team is not supposed to be there (I think they will still get more medals than Iran).

so if iran does just as well (highly questionable) then it should be able to maintain last year's ranking.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Well Turkey is in Turmoil and except 2012 they always rank higher than us.

a significant part of the Russian team is not supposed to be there (I think they will still get more medals than Iran).

so if iran does just as well (highly questionable) then it should be able to maintain last year's ranking.
BTW the IOC is considering dropping Russia all together because there are more doping allegations so it might not just be track and field. Turkey ranks higher than us and that does not surprise me because they utilize their female athletes, better than we do.They might be in turmoil but they have more resources at their disposal plus the femal athlete factor plays a huge role. We are almost fighting at half strength because our women are not utilized properly, they are not given the same resources as our male athletes. As long as Iran maintains their rankings from London, in 2012, I will be happy as well

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
It sounds good. but Iran ahead of mexico?
Well looks like Tuck school of business knows what they are talking about but remember this is just analytics and they are not always right. The number sounds right to me for Iran on the medals 11 because last time they got 4,5,3 = 12. Maybe Mex is not going to be that great this Olympics.

Oct 18, 2010
i think you guys are missing the main point of the medal count
vs sports in general.and mexico is not a good example.
iran will probably get more medals than all the nordic countries
including for example sweden.but that does not mean iran has
a better sports infrastructure than sweden.the swedes probably
sent 3 times as many athletes to rio than iran in many more events.
the key point is these swedish athletes are 'pretty good' in their
sports but not the best.in contrast iran is sending athletes in wrestling,
weightlifting and tkw that are some of 'the best' in the world in their
category.they routinely win many medals in world championship in these
sports so every single one of them can win a medal in rio.
in short iran is producing the best in a few sports while sweden,denmark,
spain,mexico,etc...produce respectable competitors in many more sports
who can place in the top 10 but can not win a medal.

Oct 18, 2010
mexico finally got a bronze medal in boxing today.
they join austria,bulgaria,finland,india,portugal,etc...
at the bottom of the medal table as of now.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Never before had our women athletes won any medals nor our referees referee in the final of the Olympics! and I'm not even gonna talk about our fencing's record high raking. So I would actually say we had a pretty successful Olympics despite all the biased referee calls.

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Never before had our women athletes won any medals nor our referees referee in the final of the Olympics! and I'm not even gonna talk about our fencing's record high raking. So I would actually say we had a pretty successful Olympics despite all the biased referee calls.
I too think Medal count is not the best barometer.
But I generally think despite all the mismanagement Iranian sports have improved in the past 12 years (last 4 Olympics)

Oct 18, 2010
Well Iran's performance was massively overestimated.
i don't think you really comprehend the olympics and the way it works
in all sports.your understanding of the medal count is not based on knowledge
about each sport but your perception of the country as a whole.which is why
you thought it absurd that iran can do better than mexico.iran did as expeceted
in sports that they had world class athletes except in tkw where they had 2
gold medal favorites and both lost early.
and iran finished ahead of denmark, sweden,ukraine,poland,belgium,turkey,czech,
roumania,mexico,ireland,norway, austria,and portugal.
but kenya,jamaica,cuba, uzbekistan,kazakhstan,colombia finished ahead of iran in
the medal table which clearly shows economic,political or human development
factors do not predict the rank of country in the final medal table.that is what
your perception is because of your lack of broad knowledge in sports.