What is the problem?

araky

Ball Boy
Feb 1, 2005
I have been around and usually read almost all of the posts ( those that worth it). I would rather to listen(read others comments) than posting. After watching the game today which took off from work and hoped that we are going to see a good game, but the reality reminded us that things do not go based on our wishes, rather they happends for reason. How do you rate today game? How can we be part of the solution to our problem, rather than adding to it? I am starting this thread with this hope that anybody who can come up with an answer through an active discussion, participates and share it with others. So, here are some questions for everybody. Try to think about it first, then come up with your answer. Look at it that you want to teach some interested people about this subject. so, do your homework first, then try to enlight others.

Q1. What is the problem with our TM in genral?

Q2. Do we rather to play individually than as a team? if yes, Why? and what are the benefits of it?

Q3. Is the game plan based on the technicality of the the players or based on the Tactical plan?

Let's start answering these questions and more will be added by others as we go, so we could learn from each other and enjoy the future games much more.

Regards,

I may be junior, but I claim that I am one of the olodest members!!

Jan 29, 2004
Looks like if you don't bash Daei, Bronko or someone else associated with TM these days you won't get a response!
I am glad to see at least one more rational fan out there, I was feeling awfully lonely ;)

1. In general IMHO there is no probelm with TM. We have made it to the final round of WC qualification coming out of the hardest group and made it with 3 wins in a row 2 of them on the road. That is impressive! There were specific problems with the TM in the match yesterday. The main problem was lack of preparation on some of our players. Kia, Hashemian, Karimi and Kabi have been pratically out of competetive footbal matches since we beat Qatar 3 months ago. Our best players yesterday were IPL players who have been playing regula club football every week. We need to have a longer camp and a couple of matches with our regular team before we play Japan. And we must hope that the above mentioned players get some playing time in their clubs, otherwise they will remain rusty.

2. Bronko has made the team more liek team than it was before. But still our players tend to play more as individuals than as a team. It is hard to change bad habits. That's Bronko's job and he needs to be a little more adventerous and start players that show better teamwork and are in form at the moment.

3. From what I have seen from Bronko he goes into each game with a plan for that particular game. Yesterday his plan was not to lose and he arranged the team for that purpose. Reading the comments from the players and Bronko I sense that he is happy with the outcome and the way each player carried out his responsibilities.
Daei said he did what Bronko asked him to do, Hashemian said he was not playing our of position.

That's my starting position on these issues we can discuss it in more details once we get to hear the ideas from other members.

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
Q1. What is the problem with our TM in genral? We need a real coach. None of this third rated European or "Vatani" B.S. I'm talking about a real coach, with real credentials (which Branco or none of our Vatani coaches had any of). I'm talking about the likes of Bruno Metsu or Bora Milutinovich, or anyone else with some first class coaching experience. I have not seen one tactical game, any set plays, or any modern soccer under Branco, nor do I expect to see any in the near future, because he simply doesn't know anything about it. Give our amazing pool of talent to a 1st class coach and you'll see what they'll do with it. You can be sure Deai won't be playing for 90 minutes, Hashemian won't be a winger, Karimi won't try to dribble past 8 people, Nosrati won't be playing right D., and Zandi would not be meeting his teammates two days before a WCQ match!

Q2. Do we rather to play individually than as a team? if yes, Why? and what are the benefits of it?
Soccer is a team sport. We made it to the last Wc and the one in 78, because we had great individual players who knew how to play together as a team. Brazil has always had a lot of individual talent. Same with Holland, Argentina, or many other teams. In soccer, only those teams with a real system and tactics go far. Greece didn't have the most amazing individuals, but they won Euro 2004, 'cause they play as a team. As long as we have a coach who doesn't discourage the type of "khod-neshoon-daadan" that we see from Karimi, Nikbakht or Daei on TM, while they keep their fixed 90 minute positions on the team, we won't be going any where far.

Q3. Is the game plan based on the technicality of the the players or based on the Tactical plan?
We will never see a game plan from Branco. Most people here are happy about the fact that we lost 2 points to a team that has no where near the amount of talent we do (just a much better coach), but even if we were going for a tie, don't you think we could have put together a nice counter-attacking formation together? There was no game plan against Bahrain, none against Bosnia, or Germany or Qatar, or Jordan or China, or Korea, or Japan. We just fielded 11 guys and said let's play!

Wanna play in the big leagues? You gotta get a big league coach.

araky

Ball Boy
Feb 1, 2005
chief
I believe the only way that one can improve is trying to analyze the situation. In this case is our Team Melli. Screaming and insulting players and coaches does not solve our problem and it is not the answer. It might satisfy some emotional people for a day or two.
Regarding our discussion. Somebody said "our team sometimes play good and sometimes bad". I am trying to undrestand why is that. Why can't we play bad all the time? or vise versa. Look at all of the soccer sports analyzer. When they talk about our team, they all say we have good and star players, but we are lacking in two main area. One is our defense, and the other one is our poor team playing. Regarding the defense problem, anytime that there is a good offense infront of us, we tend to lose our positioning. The article by Pezman which was posted on this forum by one of the members few days ago is one that talk about it. He shows that what we need to do and not to do.
I really don't care and don't get upset if we play like a team and lose. I don't want to get happy for a second and see one of our player do magic and scores (and everybody get happy), but still carrying our same prblem. If we want to become a world class team, if we want truly to be number one team in Asia, we need to go back to the root of our problem and findout how we can overcome and solve it. It takes time and money. It is duable and sooner or later we have to face it. We are making ourself (almost every body) busy with bieng satisfied that we have Mr. world goal ( which excelent and I am proud of it) or we have 4 Asian player of the year in our team (which this is something that we should be proud of), but not paying attention to if with all of these talents, to ask ourself that are we playing as a team? Are we more rely on the technical abilities of the players or we should rely on a game plan based on analyzing of the oponent weaknesses and strenghts? I don't know if Branko had a game plan or not. I don't know if his analyzes of the Bahrain team was to play as we did yesterday. What I do hope, is that he had a game plan and hoping he got what he was looking for. If this is the case then we are one step ahead. Loosing or winning in one game really is not the end of the world. We can make it up if we try to be realistic and not get emotional. It is okay for the fans to get emotional, but for the players and the coaches is the worst thing that can happend.

We will continue our debate
Shaad Bashee

Regards,

Oct 21, 2002
Like everyone else who saw the match live yesterday I was really angry at the team melli. But last night I saw it again (the first half) and I noticed that the problem wasn’t the player, or Bronco. In my opinion the real winner of yesterday match was Bahrain coach. He did what we did to Yugoslavia back in 98. He basically closed the match and dictated his tactic on us. Bronco just couldn’t risk opening the match and making us loose the game. On top of that Bronco’s tactic had a lot to do with Karimi, Kia, Zandi, and Hashemian’s technical ability, which because of the field relly didn’t, materialized. I am no fan of Daei and in my opinion he must have retired after Asian cup, and yes his control of the ball was poor and many other issues, but he was not the reason of our poor display yesterday.

Babak G

News Team, ISP Managers Team
Feb 13, 2003
Parts Unknown
We arent a team that can attract a big-league coach btw.
We dont have big-league players if you want to be honest.
We have made the WC twice in 24 years.
We last won the Asian Cup about 30 years ago.
Our clubs suck in the Asian Club championships.
Bahrain has at least 4-5 talented players who would match our players,and one or two of them would make our first team.
What has Juricic done to become a better coach?He is not better,or worse.

None of those things have anything to do with Branko.