What would you say if they ask you where are you from?

Feb 14, 2005
Texas
I'm sure it happened to all of you, that people ask you where are you from?
so here is the case. I always say I'm Iranian. but I often see people saying that they are persian. or what language do you speak? oh I speak persian!.
saying I'm persian is like italian say we are Roman. it just doesn't make sense I don't really know but I have a feeling that most of Iranians don't want to be known as Iranians. what would you say? persian or Iranian? (be honest ;) )

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
Well for the sake of keeping the name of Iran as it is, I always say Persian!

I dont know about where u live but in Canada,most of them dont know the difference between Iran and Iraq and feel pitty on u when there is a suicide bombing in Iraq(thinking Iran=Iraq), or cant even pronounce it properly unless u say "I ran".
I dont say this based on once or twice incident. I hear this every week(if not everyday) in my workplace. so I just say Im Persian!

Sabzi

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Iranian of course. In my opinion its not good to use the term Persian since only half of Iran are Persians. I want to represent my nation, not half of my nation.

Ali(ISP)

Tottenham till I die
Oct 16, 2002
Southampton, UK
Niloufar said:
Well for the sake of keeping the name of Iran as it is, I always say Persian!
LOOL for the sake of keeping the name of iran, shouldnt u say iran? lol
i say iranian!

most people in england know where iran is, but if they dont i make a sarcastic comment so they feel stupid!

Behrang(ISP)

King of Posts
Oct 16, 2002
www.iransportspress.com
I say I'm iranian... if someone does not now the diffrence or make some type of comment I let them know (1) where they stand (2) how dumb they are (3) educate them.

It's not that hard, wether we are persian, azari etc. we are all Iranian.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Iranian ofcourse! But when they ask about my language, I say persian. I mean, we DO speak persian. The language is not called iranian. ;)

But I always eat iranian food and I'm an iranian who come from Iran! ;)

Asus

Bench Warmer
Jul 24, 2004
Montreal Canada
i dont now why some people insiste of using persian, i thought greec started calling us that ..
me i like to call my self Iranian , land of aryians....

ball_hugger

Bench Warmer
Feb 11, 2005
I say iranian, and flipout on iranians that say they are persian, I dont know but us iranians must be the only minority in usa that doesnt want to be associated with their country of origin, tells alot about our great culture I guess

Oct 18, 2002
Antelope Valley,California
Hi. I'm Jalil from Macedonia and my Cousin Rahim , is from Italy.

That was the mentality of some here in the US during hostage crisis and carried over.
Later on, when Rahims and Jalils built up some courage to reveal their national identity , they became Persians! Some of them ,went as far becoming "American- Persians " ( Note that is not persian american as in Chinese american or Italian American, but American-Persian =they were american first ,later honored us by adding persian:)!)
You can see that mostly among many LA types,specially young teen age girls in the campuses, or the super nationalists that have never read a book on Iran!

Most Americans I know,not only know the difference between Iran and Iraq , but some ,specially in more affulent and educated areas are even aware of the difference between Iran and Persia.

Those who feel good by proclaiming being Persian to achieve some acceptability, should see and hear the comments these Americans give after the "Persians" leave the Party! It is just another reinforcing argument about arrogance of Iranians ( bebakhshid- Persians).

There is nothing wrong with being Iranian. Our land is called Iran. That is where my Azeri vatandashlar, reside with persian, kurd, baluch,arab,Lur,... hamvatans.

Using the term persian in liue of Iran, for some may be cute and fashionable , but it also could potentially have implicit devisive implications. I know some extremist nationalist would love to reinforce this and go back to persian empire days,but then what would be the difference between them and hezbollahis ( Zaefehs in this board) vying for a khelafat shia republic?

derek

Ball Boy
Feb 19, 2005
canada
when asked about my nationality, i say iranian. but if they ask my language, ill say farsi or persian. cuz the language is not iranian. iran has a lot more languages than what we speak.

Feb 14, 2005
Texas
I found out that majority of the girls call themselves Persian. seriously. even in college I see them and they ALL say that we are Persian (It's about the class I guess rather than patriotism). as far as language goes, in my opinion Farsi is more appropriate.
as asus said, Greeks love to call us Persian.

Oct 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA USA
Persian Shah said:
I found out that majority of the girls call themselves Persian. seriously. even in college I see them and they ALL say that we are Persian (It's about the class I guess rather than patriotism). as far as language goes, in my opinion Farsi is more appropriate.
as asus said, Greeks love to call us Persian.
Greeks also love to sodomize each other :eek:

But yeah, most girls say persian and most guys say iranian. As for the language, persian is correct, farsi is what we call it in well um farsi, hehe. Its like a mexican saying I speak espanol...

Jan 26, 2005
Perhaps we should have a referendum and change the name of the country back to Persia again. That will solve many of the problems, including differentiation from Arabs. Iran does not say much about us. Persian says a lot about our history.

Oct 18, 2002
704 Houser
If people asked me what my language was in Parsi, I would say Parsi. If they asked me in English then I would say the English translation of Parsi which is Persian. It's that simple. I find Persian to be far more approriate becase 1)It's easier pronounce it for Foreigner 2) It identifies our language as the language that produced some of world's best literature, the Persian literature 3)It makes a connection with our great past, a connecton that's necessary in order to preserve icons of our persian past, such as the Persian Gulf.

Oct 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA USA
abe hoezi said:
Perhaps we should have a referendum and change the name of the country back to Persia again. That will solve many of the problems, including differentiation from Arabs. Iran does not say much about us. Persian says a lot about our history.
Go read a book... The persians never did anything by themselves... Our strength has always been our ability to include all the iranian peoples under one banner... I hate when people say this crap... Trust me, i understand your need to differentiate from arabs, i hate those apes just as much as the next guy, but that doesnt mean we should dump our other countrymen either...

WE WERE ALWAYS IRAN, ONLY THE BUTTLOVING GREEKS CALLED US PERSIANS...

Finally

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Persian Shah said:
I'm sure it happened to all of you, that people ask you where are you from?
so here is the case. I always say I'm Iranian. but I often see people saying that they are persian. or what language do you speak? oh I speak persian!.
saying I'm persian is like italian say we are Roman. it just doesn't make sense I don't really know but I have a feeling that most of Iranians don't want to be known as Iranians. what would you say? persian or Iranian? (be honest ;) )
Then howcome your username says PERSIAN SHAH and not IRANIAN SHAH?!?