What would you say if they ask you where are you from?

Feb 14, 2005
Texas
Finally said:
Then howcome your username says PERSIAN SHAH and not IRANIAN SHAH?!?
the same reason this website is not called Iranianway.
people would think Iranian Shah is probably reza shah. since he was the shah of Iran. by saying Persian Shah, I did mean Cyrus. since he was the shah of Persia.

Oct 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA USA
Persian Shah said:
people would think Iranian Shah is probably reza shah. since he was the shah of Iran. by saying Persian Shah, I ment Cyrus. since he was the shah of Persia.
Not to burst your bubble but even during Cyrus' time we called it Iran, the greeks called it Persia... And from what ive read, Cyrus was half Mede and half Persian in ethnicity...

Feb 14, 2005
Texas
AliDaeiClone said:
Not to burst your bubble but even during Cyrus' time we called it Iran, the greeks called it Persia... And from what ive read, Cyrus was half Mede and half Persian in ethnicity...
dude, are you kidding me ?
Iran WAS Persia. you look at all of these old maps, Iran is marked as Persia. They changed the name from Persia to Iran I believe in late ghajar regim. after golestan and tokeman chay deal with Russia.

Oct 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA USA
Persian Shah said:
dude, are you kidding me ?
Iran WAS Persia. you look at all of these old maps, Iran is marked as Persia. They changed the name from Persia to Iran I believe in late ghajar regim. after golestan and tokeman chay deal with Russia.
Who wrote those maps buddy? The west, greece, rome... Iran isnt a new concept... Was around during Kourosh's time (your cyrus)... Try picking up a few books... Actually the one that cemented the name Iran was Reza Shah in the 1920's...

Oct 20, 2002
Long Island, NY
Last week, I went to this Arabic restaurant, and as I was talking to the owner dude, he asked me where I was from. I told him New York (yea im a VERY nationalistic New Yorker, lol). But anyways, I told him that my parents are from Pakistan, and then I asked him where he's from (assuming he's gonna mention some Gulf/Meditteranean Arab nation), but he's like, (and I'm not joking), "I'm from Eye-Ran".

That very moment, I was thinking, "damn...wait till my ISP buddies hear this".

Ali(ISP)

Tottenham till I die
Oct 16, 2002
Southampton, UK
Funnhe-Rudeboy said:
Last week, I went to this Arabic restaurant, and as I was talking to the owner dude, he asked me where I was from. I told him New York (yea im a VERY nationalistic New Yorker, lol). But anyways, I told him that my parents are from Pakistan, and then I asked him where he's from (assuming he's gonna mention some Gulf/Meditteranean Arab nation), but he's like, (and I'm not joking), "I'm from Eye-Ran".

That very moment, I was thinking, "damn...wait till my ISP buddies hear this".
can u give the address of this place? i am sure some of us here can go and 'deal' with him!!

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
LOOL@Funnhe!!! hehe,damn!!:D :rolleyes:

Its not about girls saying Persian,guys Iranian. It totally depends where u live.
I dont know about others but I cant imagine our nationality and the name of our country(Iran) being confused with Iraq,Yemen and Bahrain.
Most of the times u r in a situation that u dont have time to argue with the ignorant person where exactly Iran is located or that why its called "Iran" not "Eye- ran".

Finally

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Persian Shah said:
people would think Iranian Shah is probably reza shah. since he was the shah of Iran. by saying Persian Shah, I did mean Cyrus. since he was the shah of Persia.
What kind of a twisted logic is that?

BTW, I was just joking about PERSIAN SHAH vs IRANIAN SHAH. :)

Oct 1, 2004
I live in Canada, and I always say I am Iranian, not Persian, or some Italian wannabe.
If they don't know where Iran is or mistake it with someplace else, I just explain the difference to them, and if they're still stupid I tell them to go F*** themselves.

buzz

Bench Warmer
May 21, 2003
Ohio
abe hoezi said:
Perhaps we should have a referendum and change the name of the country back to Persia again. That will solve many of the problems, including differentiation from Arabs. Iran does not say much about us. Persian says a lot about our history.

I like that...That would be great, going back to our roots and fix our problems. But, then again, Iran (The Land of Aryans) is good too.

Dec 12, 2002
usa
From Rasht ,if someone asks where is it ,then I go : gee ,didn't go school ,that will be end of story .
btw most the time people are shy to ask further question .

Pofak

Ball Boy
Nov 7, 2002
Ha, I guess I'm the only one who says both. I say, 'I'm Persian, I'm from Iran.'

See what I did there? ;) This links everything Persian they might know about to Iran, including our history, differentiates modern Iran from Arabic countries, shows I'm proud to be from Iran, and invites questions if they thought Persia perished long ago so I can educate them. I also usually say Iranian Empire instead of Persian, because since we forced everyone to call us by a new name to them, we need to reclaim our history and objects. There will never be an "iranian cat" though. Personally, I think Reza Shah was stupid to change the external name of our country.. Persia had 2500 years of advertising behind it, and our country is treated differently cuz of the change. Think of these, does Hellas, Deutchland, Bharat, or Sino evoke everything you know about/from these big civilizations and their extensive history? I'd support a referrendom, but not at the cost of unity..only if our Kurds and Azeri's wanted it too.

I always say Persian for language and it really bugs me when Farsi is used. For the sake of unity, we should all say Persian, because we are not the only country who speaks it. Afghanistan, Tajikestan, and parts of Uzbekistan speak it too.. Why must we be the only major tongue with 3 different names? Plus, it's leading to a lot of confusion with even well educated people thinking Farsi is not the language of our poets like Rumi cuz everyone knows he wrote in Persian! I even just saw a Google ad on this site, "Farsi Sale - New and used Farsi. Check out the sales now!" Which lead to this page http://search.ebay.com/farsi_W0QQfkrZ1QQfnuZ1QQfromZR8 where I see things like Farsi art and Farsi jewelry.

And! Damn, my fingers are getting tired. I always say Iranian-American, and talk a lot about Iranians.. and I mean ALL Iranians, not just the modern variety. We are only one branch of an enormous Iranian group of people. Iranians include Medes (Kurds), Persians, Parthian/Scythian, and Sarmatians, and more.. People of Iran know extremely little about the broader Iranian ethnic identity, which is a pity, but will probably slowly change as Europeans research more of their Iranian mixture of their origins.

...Roodabeh

May 9, 2004
Usullay my conversation with americans go like this :
WHERE R U FROM?
me: im from PARASGADA
WHERE IS PASARGADA
me:its in PERSIA
WHERE IS PERSIA
me:its in IRAN
WHERE IS IRAN
me:its in ASIA
WHERE IS ASIA
me:its near to EUROPE
WHERE IS EUROPE????????????
me: not faraway from USA
OHHH I SEE YOU ARE FROM MEXICO
me : IN farsy (KHAR BOOD FAHMIDAHE BOOD ****************)
SORRY CANT SPEAK SPANISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AMirza

IPL Player
Mar 19, 2004
Not only I say: I am from Iran - but I say it loud and with attitude. I often follow-up with a question of my own: Do you know much about Iran ?
and then if i like them - I'll go on telling them a thing or 2 about Iran.