Which players were you impressed by today?

OSTAD POOYA

National Team Player
Jan 26, 2004
I think Saeid Ezatolahi was very imposing and strong in the middle and had a great showing. At his young age he is someone that we can depend on to win those hard battles in the middle. Someone like a Teymourian but more physical. I was very impressed by him today. Also Rezaian and Amiri were great too. Rezaian on the flank with his speed and crosses was very good and also Amiri was non stop hustle and defending all the way through. In my opinion these three stood out the most even though I have to say everyone played well. I expected more from Azmoun and Takravi and CQ should bench him next game for pulling that.

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
No one in particular stood out. Positioning was very much the order of the day and pretty much all of them stuck to their positions.

Haj-Safi pulled a few favorable calls from the ref which helped the team settle at times. He was fouled more than everyone else.

Pouraliganji and Hosseini easily won every single battle. They didn't even have to run all that much which made me wonder if the Koreans knew they were down 1-0.

Overall the Koreans played an overly cautious and slow game too which was totally fine given Iran had already scored.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Everyone played really well! The players who really stood our for me were the defenders! but specially in this game, Pouraliganji!

Shahram

Elite Member
Oct 21, 2002
They didn't even have to run all that much which made me wonder if the Koreans knew they were down 1-0.

They were fooled by the fact that the Iranian side could not smile or laugh even after they scored the goal because of Tasua. Their somber faces hoodwinked the Koreans. The Koreans started to believe that they were the winning side. That was how Iran won tonight!

Nov 24, 2002
I guess everyone did what they were asked to do. Rezaeian, Hosseini, Pouraliganji, Mohammadi, Hajsafi, Ezzatollahi, Amiri all had a good game. Sardar goal was amazing, no Iranian forward can have such a beautiful finish but he didn't have a good game. I think with the way Pouraliganji is playing is hard to take him out of line up once Montazeri is back. I was quite surprised by rezaeian performance despite lacking playing time in Persepolis because of disciplinary reason by Branko, he was great today.

Amiri proved why CQ starting him despite some critics, the guy's energy and hustle is pretty amazing. Overall this team could play another 90 minutes match, majority of players were still fresh after such a game,.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
No one in particular stood out. Positioning was very much the order of the day and pretty much all of them stuck to their positions.

Haj-Safi pulled a few favorable calls from the ref which helped the team settle at times. He was fouled more than everyone else.

Pouraliganji and Hosseini easily won every single battle. They didn't even have to run all that much which made me wonder if the Koreans knew they were down 1-0.

Overall the Koreans played an overly cautious and slow game too which was totally fine given Iran had already scored.
I was about to post something similar. To me, no one player stood out but what stuck with me was the excellent TEAM DEFENSE. Also, I liked the fact that after we scored the first goal, we continued to attack. Those are the two things that impressed me the most. This was a TEAM win it was not won by an individual. You could argue Azmoun scored the goal but then it was a beautiful cross by #18 and on the previous possession a nice pass to #18(don't know his name). I think overall everyone played decent to well nobody played like crap.

@Babr I disagree with you on one thing I think we have another forward who is JUST AS GOOD at finishing as Azmoun and he is Gucci. He is a valuable player we can use from the bench and he can score a goal, the guy has a nose for the ball. As for Azmoun there are some good things I like about him and some things I do not like. What I liked
1-The goal in the 1st half brilliant
What I did not like
1-In the 2nd half he should have passed the ball, he selfishly kept it and the korean defender took the ball away. He had an Iranian player on his left and the right but again nobody is perfect. I am sure CQ will address that and talk to him about it. After all, if a guy like me who NEVER played organized football(American football does not count) can pick that up, I am sure CQ can as well.

OSTAD POOYA

National Team Player
Jan 26, 2004
I ask you guys to go watch the video of the goal starting with the pass in depth by Ezzatollahi to Jahan Bakhsh, and then his pass to Rezaiian that did the assist to Azmoun. The whole play looks like a beauty coming from deep in Iran side right to Korean goal in a matter of seconds. It was a true beauty. Ezzatollahi definitely has a vision for the in-depth pass.

Finally

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
What I really enjoyed was the fact that Iran didn't use time waisting tactics and what was PourAliGanji doing up there scoring the first goal that was called offside?

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
I ask you guys to go watch the video of the goal starting with the pass in depth by Ezzatollahi to Jahan Bakhsh, and then his pass to Rezaiian that did the assist to Azmoun. The whole play looks like a beauty coming from deep in Iran side right to Korean goal in a matter of seconds. It was a true beauty. Ezzatollahi definitely has a vision for the in-depth pass.
Thank you doost e khoob I know Azmoun scored and I thought it was Rezaiian who passed it but I forgot Ezzatollahi to Jahan Baksh was there(that is why I needed to watch the tape). what I saw was COHESIVE TEAMWORK on that goal, not individuals trying to out dribble their opponents. That was the OLD IRAN team, a couple of guys would do most of the damage be it either Ali Daei, Mehdi Madavakia or Azizi(back in the day) later on Karimi. Now we do not have that aspect of the game so you lose some individual creativity but what you GAIN is a TEAM that is built for overall, long term success.

If you asked me in 98- to even 2014, could we make it to the 2nd round, even if we were in a favorable group, I would say NO. Now if you ask me that question I would answer, "We have as good as a chance as any other decent team to make it to the knockout stages." Why? It is simple we are now officially TEAM MELI back then we were INDIVIDUAL MELLI AKA TEAM MELI. There is a big difference between the two mentalities my old friend. Then I discussed the defensive aspect of the game in the previous post but that goal was a TEAM effort. YES Azmoun finished but the other 3 guys helped and the overall TEAM SPEED improved. As BT pointed out we were in GOOD POSITION on D and I say have the players now AND COACH to play at a European style/caliber.

Also, we had plenty of foreign coaches who were good at strategy, look at Cira Belosivich(before Bronko) but I say CQ is even better than him because CO gets the most out of his players . He understands the psychology of the guys. Like we say in America "It is not about the x's and o's it is about the Jimmy's and Joes." in our case it is not about the x's and o's it is about the Hossein's and Hassan's haha.

Like Babr(i pointed this out in another post) I liked the fact that after we scored the first goal, we CONTINUED TO ATTACK. We did not sit on it, and play anti football, time wasting, grass rolling aka ARAB FOOTBALL. That is the difference between us and the Arab teams. If THEY were up 1-0 they would have time wasted and probably would have been content with a 1-1 draw. The ONLY Arab team I see play the right way is UAE. IF UAE is tied 1-1 or 1-1 they will go for the win and if they are up 1-0 they will not resort to anti football tactics.

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
I guess everyone did what they were asked to do. Rezaeian, Hosseini, Pouraliganji, Mohammadi, Hajsafi, Ezzatollahi, Amiri all had a good game. Sardar goal was amazing, no Iranian forward can have such a beautiful finish but he didn't have a good game. I think with the way Pouraliganji is playing is hard to take him out of line up once Montazeri is back. I was quite surprised by rezaeian performance despite lacking playing time in Persepolis because of disciplinary reason by Branko, he was great today.

Amiri proved why CQ starting him despite some critics, the guy's energy and hustle is pretty amazing. Overall this team could play another 90 minutes match, majority of players were still fresh after such a game,.
I couldn't agree more about the clinical finish by Azmoon ,not to forget the great build up to the goal , I know he messed up the pass to Rezaiyan which could have been our second goal but he was a handful for the Koreans to handle .

I am not really sure who stood out ,everyone played well ,could not see a weak link in the team and so many young lads ,this team is going places.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Maybe Rezaeian has the motivation to prove something to Branko! That's why he's playing like he does!

I think with the way Pouraliganji is playing is hard to take him out of line up once Montazeri is back.
Didn't we say that about Torabi?

Amiri proved why CQ starting him despite some critics, the guy's energy and hustle is pretty amazing.
I would still go with Torabi! I think Amiri despite his good performance yesterday, has lost his speed! He's not as fast, running past the opponents' defenders anymore. Many times he has to stop, hold the ball and wait till other players get close so he can pass. For a couple of years ago, he would get past the defenders and run towards the goal. Our penalty against Sweden was given after a move like that!

Torabi however, hustles as much as Amiri (if not more) with more energy but he also has the speed! I hope he can get more playing time in TM before he's wasted in IPL!

Feb 22, 2005
what impressed me the most was their passing and how relax the team was. Usually Iranian players panic and rush. Yesterday they were very focus, fast and did not panic even in the smallest spaces. Player's turning quick to find space were Man City and Barc like. Usually Iran makes tons of passing mistakes and looses the ball. Yesterday, they were making great passes both long and short.

How is the passing in the IPL league?