Why not Dejagah, Ghodoos, Goochi, Jahanbakhsh?

ashtar

National Team Player
Aug 17, 2003
Anyone know why CQ is not playing Dejagah, Ghodoos, Goochi, and Jahanbakhsh together for at least 45 minutes? There is no f..ing way to win a football game without scoring at least one goal and there is no way to score a goal without getting the ball to the opponent's penalty box by either running it or effectively crossing it. If Azmoon is going to score a goal he's going to need at least one healthy ball fed to him and you can not do that without playmaking midfielders.

I appreciate CQ's infatuation with taller players and having them play against these tall European sides and hence making the ridiculous decision of playing Taremi (because of his height) as a central midfielder today but often shorter yet faster and more skillful players are necessary (especially in midfield) to run, cross or even shoot the god-damn ball in to the opponents goal!

If players like Dejagah, Ghodoos, or Goochi are not physically able to play at least 45 minutes of effective football then why they hell were they taken to the WC to begin with?

Finally

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Anyone know why CQ is not playing Dejagah, Ghodoos, Goochi, and Jahanbakhsh together for at least 45 minutes? There is no f..ing way to win a football game without scoring at least one goal and there is no way to score a goal without getting the ball to the opponent's penalty box by either running it or effectively crossing it. If Azmoon is going to score a goal he's going to need at least one healthy ball fed to him and you can not do that without playmaking midfielders.

I appreciate CQ's infatuation with taller players and having them play against these tall European sides and hence making the ridiculous decision of playing Taremi (because of his height) as a central midfielder today but often shorter yet faster and more skillful players are necessary (especially in midfields) to run, cross or even shoot the god-damn ball in to the opponents goal!

If players like Dejagah, Ghodoos, or Goochi are not physically able to play at least 45 minutes of effective football then why they hell were they taken to the WC to begin with?
I don't know the answer to your question, but I don't think just because you are a TM player in WC, you get are given an opportunity to play.

ashtar

National Team Player
Aug 17, 2003
I don't know the answer to your question, but I don't think just because you are a TM player in WC, you get are given an opportunity to play.
I'm not saying that anyone who is on the list should necessarily be allowed to play but I do expect stronger, faster and more skillful players to be given the chance to win the game for us. What the f.. does CQ or any other coach think a player can do in just 5 minutes of play time? As was the case with CQ bringing in Ghodoos in the last 5 minutes of the game against Spain?

The fact that CQ plays Shojaei or Taremi as the starting midfielders is just insulting to the intelligence of any fan who knows anything about the skills and abilities of Dejagah. Playing Taremi constantly behind Sardar while sitting out Goochi when we know about Goochi's abilities as a finisher in tight matches is just baffling.

Feb 28, 2018
I feel like he is just ramping it up each game, today we actually saw better opportunities created than we had against morroco but against Portugal is when he will finally show all his cards, not sure if that is to play all these players together, but I'm pretty sure he had planned something specific for each game and consistent with what we needed at the time and the next one should be the most exciting to watch! To finally get iran to the second round and to do it at the cost of the European chamions whose golden generation he had watched over knocking out the current favourite for the golden boot would be a hell of a way to do it!

ashtar

National Team Player
Aug 17, 2003
We saw better opportunities today because first of all Shojaei wasn't playing to give up balls and slow down our attack and secondly because after conceding the goal our players decided to open up the game and actually play. Imagine the opportunities we could've made if Dejagah was running in the center along with Ghodoos and Jahanbakhs on the wings and feeding balls on the ground to Goochi or in the air to Azmoon. Or taking shots themselves on breaks or rebounds.

Nov 24, 2002
I don't get the case of Dejagah, if the guy is still injured, why losing a spot in WC because of him, if he is fit, why he isn't playing, he is simply the best option(defensive, offensive combined) in CAM.

ashtar

National Team Player
Aug 17, 2003
I don't get the case of Dejagah, if the guy is still injured, why losing a spot in WC because of him, if he is fit, why he isn't playing, he is simply the best option(defensive, offensive combined) in CAM.
The same is true of Ghodoos. This guy can run past the best defenders, cross, shoot and finish. And to top it all he has the experience of having played in the European league against some of the best players in the world, so surely he will not be intimidated by any European opponent.

I just don't get it.

Feb 4, 2005
We saw better opportunities today because first of all Shojaei wasn't playing to give up balls and slow down our attack and secondly because after conceding the goal our players decided to open up the game and actually play. Imagine the opportunities we could've made if Dejagah was running in the center along with Ghodoos and Jahanbakhs on the wings and feeding balls on the ground to Goochi or in the air to Azmoon. Or taking shots themselves on breaks or rebounds.
Think saman should have entered earlier too. Hopefully we’ll see him a bit more

Shahram

Elite Member
Oct 21, 2002
Two forced substitutions in the first match and another one in the second match made it for difficult for CQ too.
Ashkan appears to have recovered, but I doubt that he is fit to play for more than 60 minutes.

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
Team chemistry. Dejagah is probably one of the guys in the team that is most liked or can help integrate players like Ghoddos or whatever else.

very simple: carlos has not needed them in his plans yet.
once he needs them,perhaps when we get ahead in a game
before the 95th minute, they might have a role in his plans.
so be patient.
Excatly. If we had not gone down, he would/might have introduced Ghoddos earlier. Ghoddos is good for keeping the ball but we tried to play balls forward quickly and for that the line-up as it was was better as all 4 in front move better without the ball than Ghoddos. Also, he had a forced substitution with Hajsafi which changed the plan a bit. Dejagah has more talismanic character than footballing character and Jahanbakhsh was probably not fit for 90 minutes and he wanted to keep him up for Portugal game.

I expect the same line up as today, just maybe with Milad as leftback in case Hajsafi is injured against Portugal with Jahanbakhsh, Ghoddos, Gucci and Shojaei introduced depending on how the score is after 50-60 minutes.

We will try to keep it 0-0 as long as possible and attack in the last 30 minutes. Anything else would be stupid. Portugal will definitely go for an early kill.

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
Another factor to consider is our final group game against Portugal we probably introduce new players to the side as we know our players who played in the first two games most probably won't be able to play as energetic due to fatigue.

I expect to see Saman, Gucci and Ashkan if he is fit to start .

@Ashlar, Taremi ran his guts out, defending deep and well and on two chanced we had in the second half he was ahead of Sardar in the box with that missed header and the other sharp low cross that he just missed, he was a handful.

Last edited:

Saeedb

Bench Warmer
Jul 7, 2003
Once we have Ezatolahi back I think we should go back to 4-1-4-1 which we were good at.
Biranvand; Ramin, Hosseini, PAG, Milad; Ezatolahi; Dejagah, JahanBakhsh, Amiri,Taremi, Gucci/Azmoun
One half Gucci another Azmoun.
This was not a good world cup for CQ. What happened to the idea of pressing from op front?
I blame Azmoun too. Like Taremi and Gucci he should take part actively in the game. He wants
the ball served for him.

Last edited:

Saeedb

Bench Warmer
Jul 7, 2003
I think the idea is to put Taremi, Amiri, and Azmoun close to each other Since they work good to gather. The idea of using AF and not JB nor Dejagah is not to understand. AF can play CF. But we have better wingers than him.

Saeedb

Bench Warmer
Jul 7, 2003
Btw. Jahanbakhsh pretty much for sure did not play because CQ wanted to avoid him being suspended for the last game.
He thought he could score in the last 10 min. Even Russian media asked CQ what he thinks of Azmoun? They knew he was not in his optimal shape.Our choice of players was no good.

ashtar

National Team Player
Aug 17, 2003
This was not a good world cup for CQ. What happened to the idea of pressing from op front?
I blame Azmoun too. Like Taremi and Gucci he should take part actively in the game. He wants
the ball served for him.
What?!!

With all due respect, your comment, which I've seen not so infrequently recently from few other fans, is utter nonsense and purely ignorant. Have you ever played professional, semi-professional, or even amateur football? For that matter have you ever watched a professional football for full 90 minutes without breaks in between?

First, the way a striker is PHYSICALLY trained in any camp is different than the way a midfielder is trained which is different than how a defender is trained. Ad that is because their roles are physically different on the pitch.

Second, the way a striker contributes to the team defense is by posing a constant danger of counter attack so that the opponent midfielders and defenders would be hesitant to push too much forward. Thus, if a striker does not run all the way back to his own half the opponents midfielders and certainly the opponents defenders would be hesitant to push too much forward and thus will create bigger gap and space between their forwards, midfielders, and defenders. In fact, I fault CQ for tasking players like Azmoon and Taremi with falling all the way back our own penalty box which allowed Spanish defenders including Ramos and Pique to dare push all the way forward to our half. When this happens then there is no room for counter-attack and as we saw with the first half of the game against Spain every time Iranians won the ball they had no open space to send the ball to and were forced to just kick it out and back to the Spanish defenders who had dared to push forward to our half.

Third, if a striker were to constantly run back and forth the length of the pitch to help with the defense then he would run out of energy to be effective in the air or counter attacks against the opponents defenders.

I mean the comment or even the notion that Sardar Azmoon didn't contribute as much to the defense as the midfielder and defenders is so f...ing ridiculous that is about to make my head explode. It's almost as ridiculous as criticizing Dejagah and asking how come he didn't run as much as Taremi to help with the defense?!! Just as the job of a sub is to sit his ass down on the bench the job of a striker is to plant his feet down in the opponent's half (for the most part) and wait for an opportunity to strike a goal and by posing that danger force some of the opponent's players to stay back.

To give one clear and obvious example, go watch a game by Ronaldo and see how much time he spends running trying to defend the ball vs how much he walks and saves his energy when his team is defending. Even a player as fit as Ronaldo would not be able to constantly run back and forth to help with the defense and still be as strong and effective in running to find empty spaces or winning air balls in the opponent's penalty box.

Saeedb

Bench Warmer
Jul 7, 2003
Ashtar What are you talking about? Even Russian media are not saying good things about Azmoun. Didn't you see the different Gucci made when we played Turkey? It was his header that gave us the penalty. Azmoun is not is a good shape these days. My knowledge of football is OK.
I know why you like him because he asked that Russian girl not appear sexy on tv.