Windows Blue

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
Why Microsoft is still in business baffles me. They haven't had a new product for 25 years and the ones they have are horrible.
more or less because of all the people who are forced to use Windows at work...

and Excel...the one thing they did absolutely right.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Why Microsoft is still in business baffles me. They haven't had a new product for 25 years and the ones they have are horrible.
That's because another horrible OS to ridicule emerged in Android. So now they are working quietly in the background. ;)

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57576008-75/windows-blue-leak-shows-changes-large-and-small/

Way to go Microsoft....obviously, no one will associate BLUE with the damn screen that turned up more or less all the time between Windows 95-Windows Vista. (Does 7 still have the blue screen?). Should be another success story.
Windows blue will be available for free to all the current owners of windows 8. You could think of it as a service pack 2.
Microsoft will have a rolling release from now on, it mean that they will release an update every year so that you don't need to re-install every time.
Some research before trashing the company

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
The reason for success of Microsoft is : Visual Studio ...
Programmers love it ...
Today we have very similar tools but at the time (1995), only few companies had such a great tool

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
Windows blue will be available for free to all the current owners of windows 8. You could think of it as a service pack 2.
Microsoft will have a rolling release from now on, it mean that they will release an update every year so that you don't need to re-install every time.
thanks for the update...which is frankly super irrelevant to me. the point is that BLUE is something you associate with whenever Windows had a problem which was except for XP always the case. You unplugged something and had a blue screen etc. So a company putting something that you clearly associate with failure behind the name of their product is...let's put it kind of genius...for everyone else. But keep celebrating Visual Studio...as if any consumer gives a crap about it.

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
thanks for the update...which is frankly super irrelevant to me. the point is that BLUE is something you associate with whenever Windows had a problem which was except for XP always the case. You unplugged something and had a blue screen etc. So a company putting something that you clearly associate with failure behind the name of their product is...let's put it kind of genius...for everyone else. But keep celebrating Visual Studio...as if any consumer gives a crap about it.
I am not a windows user.
The current computer I am typing is a Linux system and that is what I spend almost 80% of my time. I am not by no mean a huge fan of Microsoft so please accept my argument as a fair one
Any system can crash and most of the OS hanging occurs due to hardware and driver problems. So even if they chose name BLUE as blue page of doom, that is very daring, don't you think ?

Microsoft objective to be able to run their OS in any platform and they were immensely successful at it. The OS is not perfect but very good today.I have used windows 8 occasionally at work for 2 months now. It is much faster than windows 7 and lots of improvement. I am not really crazy about the UI but knowing few short cuts help things out.
Now the company has fixed a lot of problems and releasing the product for free and you are blaming it for the name .... come on man.
Also the programmers have to be happy with the development environment ... the users just use the computer.

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
I am not a windows user.
The current computer I am typing is a Linux system and that is what I spend almost 80% of my time. I am not by no mean a huge fan of Microsoft so please accept my argument as a fair one
Any system can crash and most of the OS hanging occurs due to hardware and driver problems. So even if they chose name BLUE as blue page of doom, that is very daring, don't you think ?
No, it's stupid. Someone didn't think a little bit about it and what people associate with blue and windows. It has already been a running joke on the internet.

Microsoft objective to be able to run their OS in any platform and they were immensely successful at it. The OS is not perfect but very good today.I have used windows 8 occasionally at work for 2 months now. It is much faster than windows 7 and lots of improvement. I am not really crazy about the UI but knowing few short cuts help things out.
Now the company has fixed a lot of problems and releasing the product for free and you are blaming it for the name .... come on man.

oh...so they are fixing a lot of problems their software had for free...wow...

Also the programmers have to be happy with the development environment ... the users just use the computer.
sure...it's about the programmers, not about the users! thanks dude! way to go. guess it has been about the programmers the past 10 years at Microsoft....given their huge success.

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
[1] First Microsoft hasn't called it windows blue yet, and I don't associate it with blue page of death.
Same as windows longhorn that was called internally but was released as Vista.
You can make fun of things but the same people use it. Chose another platform if you don't enjoy it.

[2] Any windows system releases patches after release of OS. Now again, the current windows 8 users get it for free.

[3] Yes the developer have to be happy with the environment they are developing and that is why the whole computing industry chose windows as the desktop OS of their choice.

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
[1] First Microsoft hasn't called it windows blue yet, and I don't associate it with blue page of death.
Same as windows longhorn that was called internally but was released as Vista.
whatever...Blue is the blue page of windows death. everyone knows it...bring up something different.

You can make fun of things but the same people use it. Chose another platform if you don't enjoy it.
done already...just as all the other people who left windows for good.

[2] Any windows system releases patches after release of OS. Now again, the current windows 8 users get it for free.
WOW

[3] Yes the developer have to be happy with the environment they are developing and that is why the whole computing industry chose windows as the desktop OS of their choice.
Obviously, the consumer doesn't need to be happy if the developer is happy. Which is again the reason for Microsoft's success story over the past 10 years.

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
You can argue that they have lost the competition in the server, embedded and mobile market but no on desktop.
I am not praising the company but what I am saying is that if I buy any OS for my computer and after 1 year they release an update for free, I am happy with it.
I don't see any other system (Mac, Linux, ....) that doesn't release patches or updates. I don't know what the wow means.

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
I am not praising the company but what I am saying is that if I buy any OS for my computer and after 1 year they release an update for free, I am happy with it.
I don't see any other system (Mac, Linux, ....) that doesn't release patches or updates. I don't know what the wow means.
the wow means that it's not really a big deal that they release an update for free, specially if the program had bugs from the start they just fixed.

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
the wow means that it's not really a big deal that they release an update for free, specially if the program had bugs from the start they just fixed.
Do you know any software in the world as huge as an operating system that is released without bugs ?

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
In the long run, Microsoft will destroy both Apple and Google. They're just waiting for the hype around iBullshit and Android systems to die down (and it really is dying down).

At the end of the day, no sane programmer would prefer the current state of things in iOS and Android to Microsoft's .NET. It's amazing to me that Apple with all that money still hasn't invested in a decent IDE for programmers to use. Unreal!

Microsoft just needs to stay the course and be a bit more sympathetic towards its userbase who are truly sick of all these fucking changes that keep popping out of every corner every year.

They've got the right idea and base framework in .NET. They just need to spend time making it better and even easier than it is. Apple and Google will struggle with keeping programmers happy. The next generation of programmers will not accept having to learn as much as iOS and Android require. They will choose .NET. Microsoft just needs to make some decent devices at cheaper prices so Apple and Google lose their market-share (and that's bound to happen at some point).

A tablet or a phone more expensive than Apple's and Samsung's is not what Microsoft should be making.

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
In the long run, Microsoft will destroy both Apple and Google. They're just waiting for the hype around iBullshit and Android systems to die down (and it really is dying down).

At the end of the day, no sane programmer would prefer the current state of things in iOS and Android to Microsoft's .NET. It's amazing to me that Apple with all that money still hasn't invested in a decent IDE for programmers to use. Unreal!

Microsoft just needs to stay the course and be a bit more sympathetic towards its userbase who are truly sick of all these fucking changes that keep popping out of every corner every year.

They've got the right idea and base framework in .NET. They just need to spend time making it better and even easier than it is. Apple and Google will struggle with keeping programmers happy. The next generation of programmers will not accept having to learn as much as iOS and Android require. They will choose .NET. Microsoft just needs to make some decent devices at cheaper prices so Apple and Google lose their market-share (and that's bound to happen at some point).

A tablet or a phone more expensive than Apple's and Samsung's is not what Microsoft should be making.
I think you got things wrong my friend.
The future of the software is about open source projects that you could easily grow and build. If you don't like it, you will fork it and make it for your own use. That is why .net is not as huge as Microsoft hopes for and that is why it never will. That is why Android is scucessful, open source operating system based on Linux. Now I can give you 100 projects like this:
Firefox, Chrome, Apache, MySql, Linux, Cloud Computing, ... all open source.
The old Microsoft closed source ideology will not work in future.
The huge success of Microsoft in the desktop is due to the fact that it is very hard to replace it because it is famous not because it is good.
Also as I said, Visual Studio is a great tool but don't under-estimate the power of other companies and other open source projects.
Windows is going down in Server and Embedded market. 5 years ago, at least 30 percent of projects were using windows CE, now nobody uses windows on any embedded platform. That is huge market man. Also windows have failed on the tablet.
If I read your post I would have thought that you work for Microsoft, I have been to their few shows, they all talk like that.

Last edited:

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
1. Thanks for the info. but it hasn't yet become a year since win 8 came out. How come blue or what ever is coming out then?
2. How long will the updates be free? I take it you wont be able to update a windows for free for ever.

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
1. Thanks for the info. but it hasn't yet become a year since win 8 came out. How come blue or what ever is coming out then?
2. How long will the updates be free? I take it you wont be able to update a windows for free for ever.
[1][2]
Yes, so windows 8 had a huge change in terms of look and feel and also internal of OS compare to windows 7. They had a lot of problems with different aps and such. So they decided not to come with completely a new version since the users will be pissed off.
I think that microsoft might also want to try a rolling release. that means you install your OS once and just purchase the updates rather than installing the whole OS. This has been tried in other systems.
I don't know how long they will support it but I know they are generally happy with the structure of windows 8.

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
business is changing.

if microsoft wants to choose to be competitive for the long run.

they will have to keep doing what they are doing.

keep sacrificing profits on client windows operating system in favor productivity apps like exchange,share point and ofcourse office, office communication server (now called lync server).

that is microsoft windows server is becoming dominant .and their hypervervisor has been hit.

microsoft is gone be back office company in proft terms not gone make money on client windows os.

once upon a time when a computer was 1200 it was acceptable to have 100 windows license.

but now a days that eventually has to disappear.