World Cup 2018 official Groups

Will Iran make it to WC 18 knockout stage?

• Yes

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • No

Votes: 11 55.0%

• Total voters

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
Seriously, who are the ones who voted for/believe Iran will qualify from Group?
Just so we know, bc they'll owe us(realistic ones) some Kebab Momtaz after the group games!

I'd be more than happy with 4 points from this group (1 win over Morocco, and 1 tie against Spain at best). Portugal is a beast with their flawless(bus-type) defense.
yes here. Both Portugal and Spain have problems with defensive teams. Portugal didn't get a win in their group games against 3 defensive teams, didn't do well in wcq against reactive teams and Iran is pretty much a counterattacking team so why not? Same for Spain though Spain might have too much quality. Leaves us with the not so easy task to beat Morocco. But since it's the first game, it could create momentum for good or bad. But all in all, this is a team that has prepared for this for 4 years now.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Iran finds out in January 5th, if Team Melli will play Brazil as a friendly.
Brazilian ambasador in Tehran will tell IFF, after his Xmas hollyday return to Tehran (Jan 5th) if Brazil has accepted the friendly match against Iran.
That would be GREAT! BTW Question, Did they confirm the friendlies between Ukraine and Serbia? When I did a google search only that other website which shall not be mentioned showed up but that is not really a source. They are probably playing Brazil to prepare for Portugal. Now if ONLy Spain can get kicked out and we can get Italy. :)

Oct 1, 2004
What worries me for the WC18 compare to wc 14 is our lack of great defenders.
At the WCQ 14 Pooladi haghighi Seyed Jalal made it almost impossible for any team to score, and they were "animals" in the air for our corners.
Now we have only a 30+ Seyed Jalal who is realy qualified as a defender. Our weakness is when opponents wingers send the ball to the forward for a header? They score any time.
Who do they have? I'm not familiar with Morocco but
Spain: Navas / pedro / silva to Morata and goal
Portugal: Bernardo to Ronaldo or Renato to Quarisma and Goal.
There is no way with this current team melli defenders to stop these scenarios.
Our main defenders are very good if healthy.
Hosseini - CB - legend.
Mohammadi - LB - Best left back we've ever had. Better than Pouladi
PAG - CB - not perfect but does well with Hosseini.
Ghafouri or Montazeri - RB - both do well for CQ regardless of club form.