World-cup 2018 , QF, SF and Final ( News , Results and updates )

Wrong strategy by Dalic, just like his good freind Branko, attacking like headless chicken in WC final against a very fast French team on counter. Dalic and Croatia played the match that DD and France were looking for.
What else were they supposed to do? Sit back and defend with that kind of goalkeeper? Who would have the speed to counter for them? Mandzukic or Perisic? None of those guys have any speed. Modric and Rakitic would be completely out of the game if Croatia don't press high. They had no choice.

France was always gonna win this game, but Croatia did better than everyone expected.

Nov 24, 2002
What else were they supposed to do? Sit back and defend with that kind of goalkeeper? Who would have the speed to counter for them? Mandzukic or Perisic? None of those guys have any speed. Modric and Rakitic would be completely out of the game if Croatia don't press high. They had no choice.

France was always gonna win this game, but Croatia did better than everyone expected.
You can't play like this in final, in two years no one even remember how Japan played against Belgium or Croatia did vs France today, at the end result count. Croatia played a really open game. I am not saying they should have defended the way team-melli did, because obviously they have talented squad but you can't play a really open game in final, specially if you are called Croatia.

Anyway France was going to win it, but i was expecting Croatia play it more smart. They had enough weapons to do the damage on set pieces at least.

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Dallic's fault was not with how the team played. they had strengths and they played to it.

Dallic failed to address the real problem with set pieces. and in fact they got worse and worse on set pieces as tournament progressed.

Dallic's fault was not with how the team played. they had strengths and they played to it.

Dallic failed to address the real problem with set pieces. and in fact they got worse and worse on set pieces as tournament progressed.
Keeper at fault on almost all of them. He's the one that determines where the line or the walls should be. There's also the fact that he conceded two goals from outside the box today. Most good keepers would've saved those.

France deserved it, like it or not. when you look at their bench, and they won it without Coman, Payet, Benzema, Koscielny, etc!!
I mentioned earlier, in the absence of Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Italy and Spain it would be very stupid of France not to win it. They should've won this no matter what. I thought Brazil was gonna be extra-pumped due to their fuck-up in 2014, but they were highly overrated.

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
France had the best talent in this worldcup. (I am not just saying this now).

but hoenstly given the amount of talent, i don't think didier deschamps managed the team particularly well.

you could argue he kept all the stars in check and ensured some young guys got the chance to shine.

I doubt he will step down, he might want to try for a euro again 2020. but if I were him i would step down.

France had a lot of talent in Euro and Worldcup. they managed the game. but the team is not firiing on all cylinders the way it should it can be better tuned.

Not sure deschamps wants his old teammates Zidane to take over though.

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Keeper at fault on almost all of them. He's the one that determines where the line or the walls should be. There's also the fact that he conceded two goals from outside the box today. Most good keepers would've saved those.
Croatia's goalie had done ok before this game. defending against a set piece is not just something a keeper does. it has to be second nature to the team.

Croatia was defending too deep on that first set-piece. if your team keeps struggling against corner kicks you might consider going back to putting a guy on the second post.

I just did not see any defensive adjustment in croatia's game a single game. it was just sheer determination of their entire team to always go forward, which made them fun to watch. but that's not the coach's job.

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
Croatia's goalie had done ok before this game. defending against a set piece is not just something a keeper does. it has to be second nature to the team.

Croatia was defending too deep on that first set-piece. if your team keeps struggling against corner kicks you might consider going back to putting a guy on the second post.

I just did not see any defensive adjustment in croatia's game a single game. it was just sheer determination of their entire team to always go forward, which made them fun to watch. but that's not the coach's job.
He had a poor effort on England's free kick, he took the steps but did not dive towards the ball, I found that very strange.
If he took the steps and gathered momentum he should have launched himself towards the ball even if there was 5% chance of reaching it.
He was poor in the final on the goals, too slow to react.

He had a poor effort on England's free kick, he took the steps but did not dive towards the ball, I found that very strange.
If he took the steps and gathered momentum he should have launched himself towards the ball even if there was 5% chance of reaching it.
He was poor in the final on the goals, too slow to react.
Be ghole Mahbod mesle Maast bood. I have never seen a keeper at his level in a World Cup final. Granted he saved some penalties and did his fair share in bringing Croatia up to this level, but holy crap, he's a crappy keeper for a finalist!

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
Be ghole Mahbod mesle Maast bood. I have never seen a keeper at his level in a World Cup final. Granted he saved some penalties and did his fair share in bringing Croatia up to this level, but holy crap, he's a crappy keeper for a finalist!
I agree, He was slow, high on drugs or too much sex the night before lol
In chi book akhe, har chi toop oomad in gol khord

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
Worst goalkeeper of the tournament. Horrible.
Well, he pulled a harmstring in the quarterfinals. That was fairly obvious. They should have played maybe the reserve keeper but maybe not.

Hindsight is always 20/20...can't blame Croatia for much, especially as they had France on the ropes for 50 minutes and dominated them. But when you dominate and are behind 2-1 with the other team not having done much, it's always going to be difficult.

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
Smartest footballer in the world. That's what's special about him. He will be a figure in French football later in life.

I agree. It's unfortunate because I couldn't blame anyone breaking his legs for that stupid goal celebration, but on a tactical level he is immense. Diego Simeone school of thought.

Also, Atletico had the most players playing in the final.

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
Well, he pulled a harmstring in the quarterfinals. That was fairly obvious. They should have played maybe the reserve keeper but maybe not.

Hindsight is always 20/20...can't blame Croatia for much, especially as they had France on the ropes for 50 minutes and dominated them. But when you dominate and are behind 2-1 with the other team not having done much, it's always going to be difficult.
Oh yeah ,now you have mentioned it I do remember he pulled his leg .strange decision to keep him in if he suffered such an injury .

At this level of football even if you are Yashin and carry an injury like that you should be out watching the game not playing it if you are not 100% fit .