World Cup 2026 host to be decided by tomorrow

OSTAD POOYA

National Team Player
Jan 26, 2004
The 2026 world cup host will be announced by tomorrow. On one side it will be Morocco and on the other side (USA, Canada, Mexico) in a combined bid. Its the first world cup which will have the 48 team format and FIFA has indicated country voting will be more transparent to stop the events from the past (Russia, Qatar) becoming hosts.

I personally do not like the 48 team format as each team only has 2 group games instead of 3 so its too little games and also makes the qualification process easier with 16 more entrants to the competition. I like it to the hosted here in North and central America so we can attend many games :)

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44428947

byebyenow

Elite Member
Jun 3, 2006
I personally do not like the 48 team format as each team only has 2 group games instead of 3 so its too little games and also makes the qualification process easier with 16 more entrants to the competition. I like it to the hosted here in North and central America so we can attend many games :)
I agree with you too, 48 teams are way too many. BTW Mexico is North America and not Central America, either way, this is a very large land mass which makes long traveling. I just don't get the idea of several countries hosting the WC, for god sake as small as Qatar is they host one then the entire North America, what's next? Continental Africa or even worse Asia?

Nov 29, 2002
Euro
I just don't get the idea of several countries hosting the WC, for god sake as small as Qatar is they host one then the entire North America, what's next? Continental Africa or even worse Asia?
That's the way things are going I'm afraid. Check out next Euro 2020...

Soon we may even find ourselves with an "Arabian Gulf" 2034 bid...

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
I don't understand why they don't convert a single small Island into an Olympic/World-Cup hosting village and just host all games there every single time.

It's been proven that these World-Cups and Olympics put a heavy strain on the host country's finances and create very serious debt burdens on tax payers only to benefit FIFA and the sponsors. There's also the whole 'wasteful' nature of building stadiums for just a few games only to have them rut in silence after the games.

Feb 4, 2005
I don't understand why they don't convert a single small Island into an Olympic/World-Cup hosting village and just host all games there every single time.
Honestly it should be rotated among England, Germany. Italy, Spain and France. Popular football nations, all infrastructures in place, not huge countries where you have to travel 1500 miles from one city to another, and reasonably distanced from everywhere in the world. Also reduce the total number of teams to original 16 or 24.

OSTAD POOYA

National Team Player
Jan 26, 2004
Shit show.. Too many weak teams honestly. With these many teams at the tourney if you get a pretty lucky draw and I wonder how the draw would work anyways then you will be in the round of 32 as 2/3 teams would qualify to the next round. So there is an extra round which makes the total number of games played to win the championship the same as before (7). In my opinion very poor decision. They are increasing the number of teams by 50% which is totally bullshit. If they wanted some improvement they should have made it 36 or 40 maximum This is just way too many teams.

Nov 29, 2002
48 teams is going to be absolute garbage imho.

Goodbye prestige of world cup as a big event.

I would expect over the 10-15 years after this a new more elite tournament to be created. its going to become like volleyball with 3-4 different world tournaments.

Nov 29, 2002
Do we even have 8 decent teams in Asia?
  1. Iran
  2. Japan
  3. S.Korea
  4. Saudi
  5. ?????
  6. ?????
  7. ?????
  8. ?????
Reedan too World Cup

Probably

Iran
Australia
Japan
South Korea
Saudi Arabia
----
3.5 other positions for other teams like China, Uzbekistan, UAE, Iraq, Oman, Syria, Qatar etc..... Even India is improving recently.

I guess they are thinking about money.

Crap.

Feb 4, 2005
[QUOTE

guess they are thinking about money.

Crap.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of money make sure you participate in isp pred pool. If you have already thank you but start encouraging others.

Feb 15, 2006
Copenhagen-Denmark
2026 WC is super BS anyway, look at this .. 48 teams is WAY TOOOOOOOO MANY
Now hold on your horses.
It may not be a bad idea after all.
Here is the new format explained:

Old: 8 gr of 4 - top 2 to round of 16
New: 16 gr of 3 - top 2 to round of 32

pros:
- Way bigger chance to qualify, all over the world
- Number of matches will increase from 64 to 80
- 16 great matches of round 32 is added FOR FREE
- Number of matches played by last standing 32 teams will still be the same. teams reaching semis will still play a total 7 match.
- Shit teams only play 2 match and go home

Cones:
- Shit teams only play 2 match and go home
- Due to uneven number of teams (3) in groups, Last group match will reintruduce the contraversial rest of one team, and option of matchfixing involving the 2 playing teams.

I say yes to the new format