World Cup Preparation Friendly Match#3: IRAN vs Panama(11-09-2017), News, Updates, Live Reports

Babr

Banned
Nov 24, 2002
TM stopped to play after the 2nd goal, they thought it will be easy, but Panama was a decent test overall. Still Iran was much better team. Karim looks solid and i liked Ghoddos and Dejagah despite being without club is still one of our best. Abdollahzadeh looked alright as well.

Cheshmi need to get back to his main position which is defensive midfielder, he is not a central defender. Looked out of position many times.

Oct 18, 2010
good result by iran.panama is not a bad team they
eliminated the mighty usa.i wanted one a +2 win to
win my bet but i take a push.thank you carlos.

Babr

Banned
Nov 24, 2002
One thing i have noticed lately is the gap between PGPL players and legionnaires is HUGE, i mean it has been always but most of our legionnaires doing quite well in their clubs and you notice it more. This is all thanks to CQ who pushed most of them to play aboard. Even if it is for some second rated European Leagues but still.

Jul 5, 2008
Melbourne
One thing i have noticed lately is the gap between PGPL players and legionnaires is HUGE, i mean it has been always but most of our legionnaires doing quite well in their clubs and you notice it more. This is all thanks to CQ who pushed most of them to play aboard. Even if it is for some second rated European Leagues but still.
Yeah. unless its Jahanbakhs we are talking about. I honestly don't know what's wrong with him. Its like whenever he puts on the TM jersey his quality drops by tenfold. Some games the bloke barely makes a good pass..He even came into this camp being in top form judging by his performances in AZ, but yet nothing..

He is a completely different player for club then he is for TM & its actually a pity. Here you have a player that is being linked with Napoli due to his performances in AZ but he looks like a average IPL player in TM...

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Yeah. unless its Jahanbakhs we are talking about. I honestly don't know what's wrong with him. Its like whenever he puts on the TM jersey his quality drops by tenfold. Some games the bloke barely makes a good pass..He even came into this camp being in top form judging by his performances in AZ, but yet nothing..

He is a completely different player for club then he is for TM & its actually a pity. Here you have a player that is being linked with Napoli due to his performances in AZ but he looks like a average IPL player in TM...
I think he can step up when the time comes. I mean these games are only friendlies. When he really gets on the big stage and plays against big teams in the WC, he's gonna perform. He'll get other levels of adrenaline in his body! Remember his few minutes against Argentina back in 2014? He was only 20 then.

Jul 5, 2008
Melbourne
Unfortunately that excuse is starting to get old and lame, throughout the qualification games he was very, very underwhelming.

I don't care if he is 20 or 24, this bloke got voted the best winger in the Dutch League last season, very decent accolade for a player of his calibre and its not going unnoticed in Europe either as I have already mentioned. Where is that in Team Melli? Absolutely nowhere to be seen. Go look at his work rate and involvement in AZ and compare that to TM. Its like he doesn't even care or think's his position is cemented.

Its like our RW is non existent some games, and even when our RW does produce something worthy its actually Rezaeian providing it rather then Alireza.

Even Taremi/Saman contribute more then he does on the wings.

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
I don't think he gave a penalty away tbh! I think that was rather a bad call by the referee! In fact I think Cheshmi has been very good! A good addition to TM which gives you stability if any of our main central defenders need to be replaced!
yeah ditto. Roozbeh Cheshmi is fab. Loved his defensive strength and good game reading against Russia too. He'd be a great addition to our team at WC.

Oh so true. Just look at the difference bn Ghodoos or Sardar vs Taremi. Playing abroad does make a huge difference. Good job by CQ for pushing them towards Europe.

Overall, good game by TM, wished we'd attack more in 2nd half. Ghoddos was amazing. Glad he finally settled at TM. He can easily be our team star in upcoming games. :)

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
Honestly, CQ is getting good results but I am not convinced the current strategy will work in World Cup.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Unfortunately that excuse is starting to get old and lame, throughout the qualification games he was very, very underwhelming.

I don't care if he is 20 or 24, this bloke got voted the best winger in the Dutch League last season, very decent accolade for a player of his calibre and its not going unnoticed in Europe either as I have already mentioned. Where is that in Team Melli? Absolutely nowhere to be seen. Go look at his work rate and involvement in AZ and compare that to TM. Its like he doesn't even care or think's his position is cemented.

Its like our RW is non existent some games, and even when our RW does produce something worthy its actually Rezaeian providing it rather then Alireza.

Well, I remember Mahdavikia was accused of saving his legs for Hamburg in the AC2000 too. The thing we should not forget is also the fact that the players who play around Jahanbakhsh in AZ are in a totally different professional level with much higher stamina than TM players in general. Not to mention he trains and plays with them week in, week out. It's easier to perform well in such an environment for some people.

When Zlatan Ibrahimovic played in the Swedish national team, most people thought he played much better in his club than when he played for Sweden. and most people (maybe rightly so too), were convinced it's because his club mates were so much better players than the ones in the Swedish national team.

Now I'm not saying this is surely the case for Jahanbakhsh as he has previously played very well in TM too. I'm just saying, for now, let's be open-minded about it.

Jul 5, 2008
Melbourne
Oh please! What does the stamina of players around him have anything to do with him being as lethargic as ever whenever he pulls on the TM jersey...In AZ he puts at least 5-6 passes on a silver plate for his crappy team mates who cant finish to save their lives but in TM the bloke cant even find someone's feet for a simple pass let alone setting up a decent cross..And if anything one thing TM players lack, is a high stamina under Queiroz.

Azmoun, Karim, Gucci, Taremi...are all better strikers then whatever AZ front men have to offer. Guaranteed if someone like Azmoun was getting the service Alireza provides in AZ bloke would be finishing majority of them.

And to top it all off, Ashkan who has been without a club for all this time puts Alireza to absolute shame with his work rate and hustle.

Its not about being "open minded", its as clear as day light that there is something mentally wrong with Alireza whenever he puts on the TM shirt. Team Melli, its fans, Queiroz, the players around him are not getting the quality of a player that is linked with Napoli, a player who was voted as the best winger in Holland..Yet, based on his club form, and his merit he keeps maintaining his starting 11. That's bullshit. Even Torabi who plays his trade in Saipa contributes more then Alireza in the games he's been given the nod to start. And that is the brutal truth of it.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Oh please! What does the stamina of players around him have anything to do with him being as lethargic as ever whenever he pulls on the TM jersey...In AZ he puts at least 5-6 passes on a silver plate for his crappy team mates who cant finish to save their lives but in TM the bloke cant even find someone's feet for a simple pass let alone setting up a decent cross..And if anything one thing TM players lack, is a high stamina under Queiroz.

Azmoun, Karim, Gucci, Taremi...are all better strikers then whatever AZ front men have to offer. Guaranteed if someone like Azmoun was getting the service Alireza provides in AZ bloke would be finishing majority of them.

And to top it all off, Ashkan who has been without a club for all this time puts Alireza to absolute shame with his work rate and hustle.

Its not about being "open minded", its as clear as day light that there is something mentally wrong with Alireza whenever he puts on the TM shirt. Team Melli, its fans, Queiroz, the players around him are not getting the quality of a player that is linked with Napoli, a player who was voted as the best winger in Holland..Yet, based on his club form, and his merit he keeps maintaining his starting 11. That's bullshit. Even Torabi who plays his trade in Saipa contributes more then Alireza in the games he's been given the nod to start. And that is the brutal truth of it.
Well better stamina means, the players can run to good positions more and hence the ball holder will have more options to pass, ay? CQ's TM may have better stamina than TM before CQ but can they still be compared to European players? We're also talking about Azmoun who himself struggles in Rubin, Karim and Taremi who play in crappier leagues and Gucci didn't even play. But again... who knows? Maybe the mentality/environment in AZ suit Jahanbakhsh better. In anyways, I really doubt he tries to save his legs. I still think we will see a different Jahanbakhsh in the WC!

But I do agree some players need to be put on the bench, not to think their positions are given. The same should apply to Azmoun and Beiranvand.

Last edited:

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field

Arash jan you are right , this is a matter of concern but not a worry ,he will eventually click in ,find a space he needs and play the way we know he can .

How did you find our no 25 ? that young lad has a turbo charged engine and good fighting spirit and can also move well with the ball ,he seems like a great destroyer of opponent's game , a real hustler .

Pretty good work out for our team ,Panama was a good test and hope Venezuela also give us a good game and hope they can shoot on target better than Panama did and give our goalie a good practice and prove beyond doubt he is a worthy no 1 .

Beiranvand seems to be our no 1 chosen by coach and the rest have to try harder to catch up with him or fight for other spots in the squad for the world cup .

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
Saman Ghodoos .....those who have seen Parviz Ghelichkhani can relate Ghodoos to him ,same sort of energetic ,powerful ,technical with play making ability and physically so much alike .

Glad to have him ...:)

Azhidahak

Bench Warmer
May 30, 2005
2 things:

1. @Niloufar: Its really good to see you are back, you have been greatly missed!

2. The build up to the second goal shows how much higher football IQ and creativity Ghoddos possess compared to most of our other players. He and Milad Mohammadi are currently our best players IMO.