Worst World Cup so far

Jun 7, 2004
Don't you think?

Between the retarded Vuvuzelas, ridiculous ball, bad play, 0-0 and 1-1s, a host that is not prepared, does not know football, and is on the other side of the world for just about everyone, this has been the worst World Cup yet, thus far. The on bright spot has been fantastic play by the Germans.

eshghi

News Team
Oct 18, 2002
San Diego, CA
Yeah Fp jAn, it has really sucked so far. I keep hoping to watch a good, exciting game, and there has been none so far. Other than friggin' vuvuzela's, I don't know if the hosts are to blame for all this. Personally, I think it has to do with too much football. By the time players reach these summer tournaments, they are either too tired or injured. Note that the most "inspiring" performances have come from lesser teams with few -if any- stars. Regardless, it's been terribly booooooooooooooooooooring. I am having a hard time convincing myself now to wake up to watch these games.

ardy

Legionnaire
Nov 25, 2004
San Diego Armando Maradona, CA
The low quality of the games in the first round is nothing new. In fact, it has been the trend ever since the corrupt FIFA expanded the number of participant countries to 32 teams. Blatter and co obviously did this to generate more revenue as increase in revenue is pretty much the single most important factor to stay in power at FIFA.

Fatigue, is another factor of poor game qualities in the first round, especially amongst the Europe-based players.
I 100% agree with you with Vuvuzelas; they are just too annoying.
The ball, again, another way for FIFA to generate more revenue.

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
Ardyjan, it's conceded that 1st round matches are less exciting than knock-out stages, but this level of uninspiring-ness and boredom is somewhat unknown when it comes to the World-Cup.

I agree with all the points about "too much football" and "too many teams" and "shitty host" and "shitty ball" though.

32 teams is way too many. It takes away from the excitement of qualifications and it also ruins the World-Cup.

The point system is also not good. Only one team should make it out of the group. No team should ever come on the pitch merely to defend. That goes entirely against the spirit of football (or any sport for that matter).

This game badly needs a make-over. It's been stuck within a rotten framework for decades and Fifa just doesn't give a shit.

eshghi

News Team
Oct 18, 2002
San Diego, CA
As Ardy said, in the end, it's all about money. Too much football is about money. Intoruding new ball and shoes is about money. Having 32 teams is about money. There may be things they can fo to promote more attacking soccer, but choices there seem to be limited too. Money is winning and purist fans suffer.

Oct 1, 2004
I don't believe the argument about 32 teams being the reason for low quality games. World Cup 98, 2002, and 2006 had 32 teams. Do you remember the opening round games being this bad? From each tournament I can think of at least 10 games in the opening round that were exciting.

Messi19

National Team Player
Oct 18, 2002
2002 WC wasn't all that great either. but I agree this WC has been the worst WC I have ever seen so far. low scoring annoying horns and not exciting at all.

Messi

IPL Player
Mar 14, 2007
WC never got that interesting until it reached the round of 16...QFs and Semis will for sure be interesting....I don't get all the complaints about the ball tho, every WC goalkeepers complain about the ball....

The_Referee

National Team Player
Mar 26, 2005
Jabolqa Opposite Jabolsa
It is the vuvuzelas, believe me.

I watch every match mute. I do not really know how the players can manage!

Consider yourself playing in such a noise. You do not know if the constant anyoning noise is there to support you or your opponent!

Foo

Elite Member
Feb 12, 2006
Den Haag, Holland
U guys think 32 teams at the WC are bad, I wonder what u think of 24 teams in the Euro Cup (as of 2016). Half the f***ing federation, they messed up a qualitatively great tournament which I always liked because of the fact that it was 16 teams of which at least 12 were really good.
I'm gonna wait with giving a judgement on this WC. Besides the vuvuzela's u have to consider the ball (which half the players have complained about), the humidity, the height (up to 1700m!) they have to play at. These all take adjusting. WC 2002 is the worst I've seen up till now, I'll wait a while longer to see if this one will hit that low :D

eshghi

News Team
Oct 18, 2002
San Diego, CA
Foo jaan, I don't know if you can really blame the altitude that much. It isn't worse than Mexico in 1970, and that was probably the greatest ever. Not to mention players back then didn't have nearly the physical conditioning as today's players.

Oct 18, 2002
704 Houser
I have a suggestion. Any team that makes it to the second round should automatically qualify for the next WC. That way players from the good teams don't have to participate in qualies and players from other teams don't have to play as many qualification games as they used to.

Jun 7, 2004
This game badly needs a make-over. It's been stuck within a rotten framework for decades and Fifa just doesn't give a shit.
I also think that the game not just the world cup needs a maker over. Still though this World Cup has been particularly bad thus far. Who knows maybe it will change yet. The Spain - Swiss game is ok. Lets hope so.

As far as the game what is bad is that over the years teams have figured out that if you want to play the percentages and attendance is not a concern (a concern for club play but not for world cup) then the best system is to play physical soccer with a lot of pushing, grabbing, and kicking, play defensive soccer and wait for an opening or a counterattack. As a result very few goals get scored in the first half. It happens in the second half mostly due to tiredness and mistakes.

There are a lot of ways to fix this and it does not involve changing the ball so that the goal keepers are forced to make mistakes by chance.

The best way for my taste is to simply call the fouls and penalize a team for fouls in meaningful way. Right now there so much grabbing, pushing and kicking going on that of course the offensive player will loose his balance and is never able to take on the defensive player. All you have to do is to kick, push and grab enough to throw the offensive players balance off just a bit. It works 9 out of 10 times. Ooo so creative and intelligent!

Otherwise, the goal can be made a meter or two wider or one player can be taken out making it 10 on 10 to open up the game and make it more difficult to just line up you players in the back waiting for counter attacks.