Wrestling at the Islamic Games

Farsheed

Bench Warmer
Jun 6, 2003
This is a bit of old news, but last week during the Islamic games, Hassan Yazdani got gold in 86 Kg

He teched or pinned everyone, including two previous Olympic medalists

This is great news, since Yazdani who won the Olympic gold in the Olympics in 74 KG, has moved up to a new weight class at 86 Kg

A couple of months ago, he looked fantastic in his new weight in the world cup until he got pinned in humiliating fashion against Taylor, the American, in the finals.

It was very important to see him recover from such a humiliation, and I am glad to see he has done so

Nov 24, 2002
That is exactly what i thought Farsheed jan, very good point, the kid is very talented and has huge huge potential. good to see him recover.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
I have watched his clips Farshed jan and you are right the man is a master tactician. While Brazilian Jiu Jitus and Koshti are different: There are some smililarities. Iranians and Russian style is set up your opponent with your footwork. That is the same with BJJ, the match starts out standing btw so it goes from judo to BJJ. The difference is some of the moves like BJJ has Mate Leon or kill the lion aka rear naked choke. Some of the finishing moves and rules are different.

Farsheed

Bench Warmer
Jun 6, 2003
I have watched his clips Farshed jan and you are right the man is a master tactician. While Brazilian Jiu Jitus and Koshti are different: There are some smililarities. Iranians and Russian style is set up your opponent with your footwork. That is the same with BJJ, the match starts out standing btw so it goes from judo to BJJ. The difference is some of the moves like BJJ has Mate Leon or kill the lion aka rear naked choke. Some of the finishing moves and rules are different.
I think there may be more similarities between Judo and wrestling, and one of the biggest difference is in Judi you can grab and use your opponents clothing.

Once you the ground, the objectives between bjj and wrestling are very different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
I think there may be more similarities between Judo and wrestling, and one of the biggest difference is in Judi you can grab and use your opponents clothing.

Once you the ground, the objectives between bjj and wrestling are very different

Well you are Correct and here is a good article about the differences. What I was trying to point out is although I do not have a koshti background, many BJJ athletes come from a wrestling background. You can blame Title IX why Crescenta Valley dd not have a wrestling team. We are a top 10 football power house but we did not have enough people to filed a girl's team Plus 2500 students 80% white 20% Asian, white girls for the most part are cheerleaders not wrestlers, just talking about the make up of the Canada Area. Anyways this is the main difference: I will not insult your intelligence you can read. t.

BTW Judo and BJJ are interchangeable: in fact we study JUDO because the match starts standing up, and you need to utilize throws. I am not an expert on Koshti but I am a Gracie Purple belt in BJJ so I can talk about the different BJJ techniques here is ONE thing they have in common: Judo and BJJ are from the same family and it originated in Japan. Mr. Gracie went to Japan, learned it and brought it to Brazil, made it into a sport. Japanese Judo/BJJ was originally death combat then there is Gii v no gii bjj/judo. Since BJJ and JUDo are from the same fam we can say JUDO/BJJ and wrestling require you to set up your oponents with your footwork. Iran has a great Judo team usually they finish in the top 5 in major Judo competitions. I do NOT think Iran has a BJJ team. You can see how there are similarities and btw Iranians and Russians (check and checkski) are MASTERS of setting up your opponents with footwork. Geramns, meh they are more into futbol and East Germans were the Olympic dopers. Just giving some background.

The best THREE wrestling teams: if all is fair, in no particular order in my book are:
Iran, Russia and USA. For stupid tourney's Russia does not even field their A team, only for Olympics and World Tournaments. In the 50's -80's the SOVIET championships were more competitive than the Olympics. Dan Gable, A US Wrestler went 141-1 at Iowa St and beat the Russian in 72, Munich was the master of the GABLE GRIP, when you put two hands together in almost a clasping formation. WE use that in BJJ btw. Also, the one loss consumed the man: he would workout 7 hours a day 7 days a week, the man was a perfectionist, best American wrestler ever. As for Iran and Russia, there are TOO MANY to list.
Sorry for the long post but when you talk Martial Arts/MMA/Wrestling or Music: be it boxing, mauy thai soon to be Krav Maga bjj and even Koshti, you will get a long response. Anything else,and I will keep it to a paragraph. IRAN ROOS AND USA HAVE ONE THING IN COMMON: the best wrestlers come from sharestan IOWA for USA, Juibar Iran and Russia, the forrest/tundra. It s NOT NY, Tehran or Moskovska . Country stronk!

https://www.rolljunkie.com/blogs/bjj/7666963-bjj-grappling-vs-wrestling-beyond-the-rules

Last edited:

backechap

Nov 22, 2002
This is a bit of old news, but last week during the Islamic games, Hassan Yazdani got gold in 86 Kg

He teched or pinned everyone, including two previous Olympic medalists

This is great news, since Yazdani who won the Olympic gold in the Olympics in 74 KG, has moved up to a new weight class at 86 Kg

A couple of months ago, he looked fantastic in his new weight in the world cup until he got pinned in humiliating fashion against Taylor, the American, in the finals.

It was very important to see him recover from such a humiliation, and I am glad to see he has done so
Thank you for the news. As you said great news to see him bounce back. Just a note, personal belief, there is no humiliation in competing, win or lose.

Farsheed

Bench Warmer
Jun 6, 2003
Thank you for the news. As you said great news to see him bounce back. Just a note, personal belief, there is no humiliation in competing, win or lose.
I agree there SHOULD NOT be any humiliation in defeat. Unfortunately, that is not always the case. Let's say he was really really disappointed if not humiliated