WTH is wrong with CQ?

ferdosi

Bench Warmer
Apr 21, 2004
Bellow is his latest article. What kind of loser mentality is this? He said NO to play against SPAIN and RUSSIA? WTF???? Iran and its mostly in experienced players (in terms of world cup), need to play against BIG teams. If they play a team like SPAIN even if we lose 4-0 or 5-0 is good, cause then they wont shit their pants in world cup itself when they play against teams like Nigeria or Argentina, If they play against Spain the players (in the event of a big loss) will after the game evaluate themselves, they will look at their mistake and maybe think why was I so nervous, I should had done this differently, in the event of a narrow loss, let us say 1-0 or 2-0 that is a really good confident booster. SO either way nothing but good will come out of playing strong teams.

I think CQ has bad advisers, I think they probably have scared him about what happened to ivich, so now he just wants weak opponent? is he kidding me he wants to play against teams like Belarus, slovenia, slovakia, Costarica? WTF? We should play against teams like Former youguslavia, Coratia, Cameron, Ghana, Egypt Russia, Brazil and Uruguay.

http://www.isna.ir/fa/news/92092517416/کی-روش-نبی-و-کفاشیان-حکم-مسی-و-رونالدو-را

Oct 1, 2004
It's not a fear thing or his advisors. He simply doesn't believe in playing big name teams. Even with Portugal he was the same way.

ferdosi

Bench Warmer
Apr 21, 2004
It's not a fear thing or his advisors. He simply doesn't believe in playing big name teams. Even with Portugal he was the same way.

His theory doesnt make any sense, I can't come up with a single good reason why playing against a weak team would be better in preparing you against a strong team like Nigeria or Argentina? is he scared of the loss causing the Moral of the team to go down, or humiliation? or is he scared of Injury? There is no good reason what so ever, but I could comeup with at least 10 great reason why playing strong teams would be good for us

Jul 5, 2008
Melbourne
Actually, there is nothing wrong with him at all. He makes perfect sense, i watched his whole press conference where he was addressing these questions.

He goes why should we play Spain? When we are not even ready to play Spain? He goes its not like we have been blessed with South Korea's preparation for example, they managed to play 11 more games AFTER their last game against Iran, (where as we only played Lebanon and Thailand twice due to the Asian Cup qualifiers) and according to their schedule have another 7 friendlies lined up before the kick off in Brazil. They can afford to have a vast array of friendly options, because they are prepared.

He goes, if Iran only has room for lets say 4-5 friendlies at max before the kick off in Brazil he wants to utilise these friendlies playing teams that will benefit Iran come Brazil, hence why we will be playing an African side in our camp in South Africa. I don't blame CQ at all, i neither see the benefit in arranging a friendly with Spain, Russia, Italy and Germany right now. What benefit will it have to Team Melli?

He emphasised the fact that if we only have a limited option on certain amount of friendlies these friendlies should be used to get ourselves used more to the kind of opponents we will face in our group. That's why we will most likely play 2 friendlies against African teams, 1 European and probably a team such as Paraguay who i was reading somewhere could be our South American friendly opposition, i also read Venezuela.

I don't think some people understand, we missed i think it was 2 or 3 FIFA dates, in which Australia, Japan, South Korea & even Saudi Arabia had decent friendlies and Iran was busy sitting at home, this was not Queiroz's fault. It was our Federations fault, so Queiroz is more then reasonable when he says that the next couple of months should be used for its right purposes. To get us ready for Nigeria, Argentina & Bosnia. If by playing Congo, Guinea, Paraguay & Slovenia it will increase our chances of qualification from our group, then so be it.

Don't get me wrong, i would love to have seen us play against Spain & Russia, but i would have loved to see a prepared Team Melli play these friendlies. Not a team that is in dire need of some serious preparation to just being able to save face in Brazil right now.

Aug 21, 2005
next door
unfortunately CQ is correct, TM will not gain anything by playing big teams now. in any preparation you start step by step til you are ready for the big games, right now with no preparation what are we to gain from playing Spain!! TM players already have emotional issues to deal with let alone getting trashed by Spain and now you have to put more friendly games for them to regain their confidence back

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
Actually, there is nothing wrong with him at all. He makes perfect sense, i watched his whole press conference where he was addressing these questions.

He goes why should we play Spain? When we are not even ready to play Spain? He goes its not like we have been blessed with South Korea's preparation for example, they managed to play 11 more games AFTER their last game against Iran, (where as we only played Lebanon and Thailand twice due to the Asian Cup qualifiers) and according to their schedule have another 7 friendlies lined up before the kick off in Brazil. They can afford to have a vast array of friendly options, because they are prepared.

He goes, if Iran only has room for lets say 4-5 friendlies at max before the kick off in Brazil he wants to utilise these friendlies playing teams that will benefit Iran come Brazil, hence why we will be playing an African side in our camp in South Africa. I don't blame CQ at all, i neither see the benefit in arranging a friendly with Spain, Russia, Italy and Germany right now. What benefit will it have to Team Melli?

He emphasised the fact that if we only have a limited option on certain amount of friendlies these friendlies should be used to get ourselves used more to the kind of opponents we will face in our group. That's why we will most likely play 2 friendlies against African teams, 1 European and probably a team such as Paraguay who i was reading somewhere could be our South American friendly opposition, i also read Venezuela.

I don't think some people understand, we missed i think it was 2 or 3 FIFA dates, in which Australia, Japan, South Korea & even Saudi Arabia had decent friendlies and Iran was busy sitting at home, this was not Queiroz's fault. It was our Federations fault, so Queiroz is more then reasonable when he says that the next couple of months should be used for its right purposes. To get us ready for Nigeria, Argentina & Bosnia. If by playing Congo, Guinea, Paraguay & Slovenia it will increase our chances of qualification from our group, then so be it.

Don't get me wrong, i would love to have seen us play against Spain & Russia, but i would have loved to see a prepared Team Melli play these friendlies. Not a team that is in dire need of some serious preparation to just being able to save face in Brazil right now.
This. good post Arash.

Plus the fact that the situation with IPL teams in terms of conflicts between TM camps and ACL/Hazfi ties are ongoing issues effectively hindering any proper TM plannings for now.

The Matrix

Bench Warmer
Jul 25, 2007
I also think this is the wrong tactics by CQ and it will surely backfire in Brazil. Our players are usually scared playing against big team and need to face them in order to overcome their fear. Facing good opponents will help tm overcome this fear in the long run and will have numerous potential benefits. You guys imo should just forget about this worldcup this country is going no where when we face weak teams and should look at the future. I didn't even know Guinea had a soccer team... lol. and plus how is playing weak African opponents like Guinea and Congo going to help tm in the world cup its just like facing Qatar or Jordan in Asia. We might as well just play Qatar or Jordan ... Nigeria is just a greater footballing nation than Guinea and Congo. If we played Russia I some how believe that would help us with our Bosnia game. But no our stupid idiotic coach had to just cancel that friendly just like the Chile friendly.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2004
Canada
Playing big teams (top 10) seemed like a good intuitive idea to me at first too, but the more I thought about and heard arguments against it, the more I've realized that playing teams ranked 25-10 is a much better idea. The two major arguments for playing big teams are confidence building and finding what our weaknesses are.

As far as confidence building goes, TM's not going to gain any confidence by playing Spain and losing 5-0 or even 3-0. If anything that's a major pooper! We're much better off working on the confidence issue by playing teams in the 25-10 category and getting some half decent results. If we manage to beat a team in that category and maybe tie a couple and lose a couple with a small margin, the boys will think to themselves that on a good day, or if they didn't do so and so, they would have been able to get a better result and that will automatically raise their psyche for going that extra step and playing a higher ranked team in the WC.

As far as knowing our weaknesses, it would be safe to say that if we know what they are, CQ certainly knows what they are and it's also just a matter of time before our opponents figure out what they are. On that note, we don't want to over-expose our weaknesses at this point. If the WC was 2 years away and we had some time for player development, it would be a totally different issue, but with 6 months to go and a few friendlies, there's no time to deal with these issues on a major scale. We can only tweak our game and squad a little bit based on what we have right now.

Having said all that, it is EXTREMELY important that we play as many teams ranked 25-10 as possible. We played two teams in that category prior to the 98 WC (Chile and Croatia) and it showed. The '06 preparation were mostly in the 30-20 category and it made that much of a difference. If we manage to get at least 5 games with the 25-10 crowd with 3 in the top 20 (including Uruguay hopefully), I'll be very hopeful. Other than that, playing teams ranked below 25 has very little benefit to us.

The Matrix

Bench Warmer
Jul 25, 2007
Both Congo and Guinea are very much weaker than Nigeria how on earth is that going to benefit us. Congo is 84 and Guinea is 66 in the Fifa world ranking. I would have been happy if we played Cameron or Burkina Faso but no we had to get the much higher ranked African teams.

The Matrix

Bench Warmer
Jul 25, 2007
yeah but we are not playing teams ranked 10- 25 we are playing teams ranked 50 and above. That is a much difference from teams ranked 10-25 no. What I mean by okay teams is playing teams ranked under 40.

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
Both Congo and Guinea are very much weaker than Nigeria how on earth is that going to benefit us. Congo is 84 and Guinea is 66 in the Fifa world ranking. I would have been happy if we played Cameron or Burkina Faso but no we had to get the much higher ranked African teams.
Yeah, I don't agree playing teams like Congo or Guinea at all - like you said, we may as well play Kuwait! Ghana + either Cameroon or Ivory Coast are the only candidates we should consider from Africa IMHO.

ashtar

National Team Player
Aug 17, 2003
I agree with Ferdosi. CQ's logic is flawed. There are two main reasons for having these pre-tournament friendlies. Either to gain confidence or to gain experience.

If the goal is to gain experience then I think everyone agrees that no doubt there is more experience to be gained from playing against the best players and teams in the world rather than some mediocre teams and players. If playing mediocre teams was a good source of gaining experience then one should consider TM the most experienced team in the world.

If on the other hand the goal is to gain confidence then I think one will gain more confidence with playing against the strongest (even if one were to lose) instead of against some of the weakest. Imagine if you were a lightweight boxer and were about to box against a heavyweight and somewhat famous boxer. Do you think you'd gain more confidence if in your training you could last 3 rounds against the heavyweight champion of the world before being knocked out or if you were to knockout a 10 year-old kid with your first punch?

Imagine if you were to play Spain and could somehow manage to score a goal but end up losing 5-1. Wouldn't you then think and conclude for yourself that if you were to play a much weaker team like Bosnia that then you should be able to score at least 2-3 goals and concede only 2-3 goals and thus will have the mental confidence of having at least a good chance of coming up with a draw if not winning? On the other hand even if you were able to demolish one of the worst teams in Africa or Europe how could you logically convince yourself that you would necessarily beat or even tie against a much stronger African or European team?

ashtar

National Team Player
Aug 17, 2003
I actually stand corrected. I just watched CQ's comments about the friendlies against Spain and Russia and he makes complete sense.

First of all he says there never was any real offer to play against Spain because Spain's schedule is completely booked till the end of May.

Second, he says that he had agreed to friendly against Russia pending the result of the draw. Russia may be a good team but it makes more sense to prepare by playing against a team from Africa rather than Russia. I agree, Russia is neither that great of a team nor its style like the team TM is supposed to be playing. Thus, I agree with CQ's decision not to play Russia.

But I still do think that if we have the option of playing one of the top 5 teams in the world that we should choose that option over playing mediocre teams.

Bijans

Legionnaire
Oct 18, 2002
San Diego, CA
I totally agree with CQ, We have to be selective and smart and he is absolutely right. Preparation is KEY to our success. Playing Big teams will only make us nervous cause teams like Spain will not come with a mentality that they will lose and we know from past experiences that too big of a team and name will get to us mentally. I don't see CQ making any irrational decisions honestly....

Azhidahak

Bench Warmer
May 30, 2005
LOOOOOL Who the h*ll is this interpretor??? We have a pool of players = Maa yek estakhri as bazikon darim?? :D
I reacted on that as well! He sucks balls seriously it cant be easy to be Carlos working with soooo many unprofessionals around him.