ME

Elite Member
Nov 2, 2002
Ausies are not sharp like a second tier team

Lebanon is comparable to Aluminum Arak in my opinion

China I don't know, it is about time for them to do something in soccer

Vietnam will be easy

Iraq with CQ can seriously hurt us

Syria and Oman can upset other teams but Syria is not WC material, Oman has a good record against us and Branko knows our team well

Saudis have a very aggressive team, skilled players, individually and also in transition they are fast, they seem to have issues in defense, also less physical than our players, overall better team than us right now, and the chances are they will have advantage of hosting

Japan and Korea are always Japan and Korea

UAE is average, I think they concede to us but they can get points from our more serious contenders

Our coaching will not finish top 2 in any possible combination of teams.
We are happy about winning friendlies and Hong Kong and Bahrain
Watch Iraq and Bahrain games, both games could easily have different results, it is not that we controlled the pulse
First loss and this team will break down with infightings and anarchy with Skocic having no control
He was a good immediate option for the last stage, but god save us

Jan 26, 2006
We need to desperately search for midfielders on a grass-roots level - I think it's too late for 2022 but with Azmoun and Taremi still of playing age in 2026 we need something.

We have too many wide forwards like Jahanbakhsh, Gholizadeh and support forwards like Ghoddos. For me, none of them can control the game in central midfield. Ghoddos can make things happen in the final third though but he doesn't have the traits for the other aspects of being a central midfielder.

We have no deep-lying playmakers. Ali Karimi didn't make the grade.

Just having Nourollahi and Ezatollahi as our central midfielders won't do it for us, it feels such a shame to have two continental-calibre strikers in Europe and no decent playmaking midfielder behind them. Even if they had someone who slowed down the tempo like Nekounam it would be good, let alone players like Bagheri or Ghayeghran.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
We need to desperately search for midfielders on a grass-roots level - I think it's too late for 2022 but with Azmoun and Taremi still of playing age in 2026 we need something.

We have too many wide forwards like Jahanbakhsh, Gholizadeh and support forwards like Ghoddos. For me, none of them can control the game in central midfield. Ghoddos can make things happen in the final third though but he doesn't have the traits for the other aspects of being a central midfielder.

We have no deep-lying playmakers. Ali Karimi didn't make the grade.

Just having Nourollahi and Ezatollahi as our central midfielders won't do it for us, it feels such a shame to have two continental-calibre strikers in Europe and no decent playmaking midfielder behind them. Even if they had someone who slowed down the tempo like Nekounam it would be good, let alone players like Bagheri or Ghayeghran.
We have Ghoddos. but he must get playing time!

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Iran,Australia,UAE,China,Oman,Vietnam is ok with you guys? or do you prefer S.Korea over Australia?
Believe it or not but the Aussies have still not forgotten the WCQ 1997. They have been waiting for a revenge for over 25 years and until this day, fate haven't let us meet each other yet. I would rather have our first game after 25 years be an unimportant one. I think we could still kick their a$$es but if we could choose between them and S. Korea in an important WCQ game, I would rather pick the latter. Besides, we have better record against S. Korea in recent years too so.... although of course with CQ....

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
With a coach with better tactical nous , then we have a decent chance.
There isn't much time left to the next stage which starts in September...

The only person that could come in and pick things up is Carlos !
And I was reading rumours of him taking over either Iran or Iraq!
I doubt he would go to any them but if I was to pick between the two probably Iran.
Unlikely but if it happens I'll welcome it.

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
"the good you are seeing now are from the fruits of Carlos Queiroz’s dedicated work and passion. It was 8 years of hard work that got us here. This is no accident.” - Mehdi Taremi
Where exactly it got us ? 2nd round of qualifications in Asia ? Wow such accomplishment among teams like Cambodia, Hong Kong, Bahrain and Iraq

Kian Pars

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2005
Where exactly it got us ? 2nd round of qualifications in Asia ? Wow such accomplishment among teams like Cambodia, Hong Kong, Bahrain and Iraq
Admit it, wining 4 straight games (yes, even against teams you mentioned, specially against 2 arab teams) when you are with your back against the wall is a good accomplishment.