iran's f-14 tomcat fighter pilots documentary

parham79

Bench Warmer
Dec 5, 2009
Interesting enough, almost all of these pilots do not have any beard
IIAF was a professional cadre and religiouse beliefs were not allowed. We had bahai, Christian,jewish and Zartoshi pilots but all had to abide by a very professional code of conduct.It was one of the most professional forces in the world.

parham79

Bench Warmer
Dec 5, 2009
Sadly, they never got the credit they deserved. They were merely thought of as extensions, if not stooges, of the Shah and not the builder of the Air Force, the way for example Curtis LeMay was in the US. May be Shah himself was to blame.
Thats just ignorance. I'm not going to mention my circumstances, but in the IRIAFSepahbod Jahanbani and General Khatami are very well respected despite the mollahs years of polluting of their great names.Khatami is the best head of airforce irans ever had.Jahanbani flew an F-5 inverted at 180 feet AGL under the poole karoon in one of the most skilled and daring manuvers in a air show. To this day it is one of the most brave and daring feets peformed. It broke every sftey regulation possible. to do that inverted isd an unbeliveble achivement. He was labled as one of the pilots in the worldby the USAF blue angles after he out performed them at their own game.

Last edited:

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
I am not denying that they weren't. In fact, I acknowledged them. All I am saying is that although the officer corp knew them, the general public had little knowledge of their professional capabilities. At least I didn't. In fact, this is the first time I learn Jahanbani could even fly. I thought of hims as another "poshteh miz beshin" general. But then I did not live in Iran at that time.

Feb 22, 2005
The Iranian part about Shah's father and Mossadegh, you are right about, however, if you are going to say part of the story, say it all:

1) You can therefore call the Islamic regime's ruling over Iran an occupation as it does not represent the will of the people of Iran. And it is through force of gun, imprison, torture, rape, and execution that they stay in power.

2) There is no difference to the Iranians if a government is ruled by a british government stooge or a stooge of a small number of Iranians. They both serve their masters rather the Iranian people. They both take the Iranian money and spend it outside of Iran. Ex. Lebanon, palastinians, africans, etc..

3) Fact is by 100 times more people have gotten killed under the Islamic regime that the one representing England, etc.

4) Rape was no used as a weapon of fear until the Islamic republic used it.

When you are a torturer and raper of the Iranians and represent the worst barbaric government Iran has ever seen in centuries since Arab invasion by muslims, , and you come and speak of other dictatorships, at least identify yourself and what you have done to the Iranian people and then talk about others.

And you have this childish and outdated interpretation of occupation where you think the foreign soldiers need to actually be covering the actual piece of land in order to call it "occupation" otherwise you think people and countries are free and independent. LOL

When the British army comes to Iran and sends Reza Khan to exile and chooses Reza Shah as the ruler of Iran so that the new Shah and his army would carryout British orders and guard their interests including BP's ownership of Iranian oil then what do you call that if not occupation?

When later on US and British bring down democratically elected government of Mossadegh and restore Shah and his army again for the same purposes as before what do you call that? Don't tell me I know. You call it the "good times" not occupation! LOL

No I don't call that slavery. But there is such a thing as "modern-day slavery" in which people are forced, not necessarily at gunpoint but rather because of lack of alternatives or because they are indirectly put in situations, where they have to work unreasonable jobs for unreasonable hours for unreasonably low pay and then even afterwards what they make they have to pay back to their employer for various excuses such as food, shelter, and interest on previous debts.

And yes, if you live in a country where the government forces you at gunpoint or with threat of jail hanging over your head to pay 30-50% of your hard earned income as taxes not for social issues but rather to pay it back by various schemes back to a few firms that do give out your paycheck thus leaving you at a constant state of debt and unable for example to own your own house or secure your retirement then that is not much different than a traditional slave owner who gave the option to the slave of either working for him and being fed or running away in the wild and dying from hunger because no one else would let him work or live for himself.

If you don't know about "modern-day slavery" go look it up. I would explain it to you further but you clearly have no interest or capacity to learn anything new.

You sound like Uncle Tom. Yes sir, master sure was good to us. Oh Lord, now what is I gonna do without him?

parham79

Bench Warmer
Dec 5, 2009
I am not denying that they weren't. In fact, I acknowledged them. All I am saying is that although the officer corp knew them, the general public had little knowledge of their professional capabilities. At least I didn't. In fact, this is the first time I learn Jahanbani could even fly. I thought of hims as another "poshteh miz beshin" general. But then I did not live in Iran at that time.
None of the generals back then were posht miz generals.They all had great expierence and incase of Jahanbani, Khatami and Rabbi all had war time expierence. Rabbi FLEW IN THE 1974-1974 border conflict when iran destroyed a iraqi tank battalion in less then 8 hours. Rabbi was flying F-4D. Saddam was forced to sign a non-aggression pact after he saw a massive amount of his armour was wasted in a matter of hours.He had tried to provoke a response from the IIAF and he got a crushing one by changing the posture of his troops near abadan refinery in a threatning manner..

Those 3 guys spent time in Africa as Irans peace keeping mission and all had flown sorties. All three were acomplished pilots. The Shah himself is the only head of state to ever fly in a combat zone.He flew in the Azerbaijan conflict in a recon mission and said we will never giveup our Azerbaijan..

Now lets compare the islamic regimes generals. khepeloo Chemist Firouzabadi who never served in the army is the cheif of staff.I cringe when i see him as someone who has served in the army.These Sepah Generals were bunch of low lives prior to the revolution with no expierence or military training but now are ruling Iran.

Last edited:

parham79

Bench Warmer
Dec 5, 2009
The Iranian part about Shah's father and Mossadegh, you are right about, however, if you are going to say part of the story, say it all:

1) You can therefore call the Islamic regime's ruling over Iran an occupation as it does not represent the will of the people of Iran. And it is through force of gun, imprison, torture, rape, and execution that they stay in power.

2) There is no difference to the Iranians if a government is ruled by a british government stooge or a stooge of a small number of Iranians. They both serve their masters rather the Iranian people. They both take the Iranian money and spend it outside of Iran. Ex. Lebanon, palastinians, africans, etc..

3) Fact is by 100 times more people have gotten killed under the Islamic regime that the one representing England, etc.

4) Rape was no used as a weapon of fear until the Islamic republic used it.

When you are a torturer and raper of the Iranians and represent the worst barbaric government Iran has ever seen in centuries since Arab invasion by muslims, , and you come and speak of other dictatorships, at least identify yourself and what you have done to the Iranian people and then talk about others.
This mozdor has no shame. I stopped replying to his garbage. he has closed his eyes and ears to all the crimes IR has commited.I suggest the samething for you.

Aug 27, 2005
Band e 209

3rd, for all practical purposes the Iranian oil was controlled by BP and US companies. When they were the only ones in charge of building and maintaining Iranian oil fields and when good chunk of the oil money had to be paid back to them for goods made in their countries then for all practical purposes they were controlling Iranian oil. Just as they control Saudi oil by dictating how much they should pump which oil companies they should sign contracts with and how they should spend their oil money.
Why are you leaving French Total and Dutch Shell out? They were also participants in Iranian oil consortium contract which was signed in 1954 and due to expire on 1979 anyway.

Are you telling me that NIOC was able to run on its own independent of those 4 in 1954? or do you mean we could extend needy hands toward Stalin and Mao instead?

Aug 27, 2005
Band e 209
I saw the Man once ,in civilian clothes at Aryamehr stadium during a game between Perpolis and Shahbaz in summer of 1978 ,he had a imposing figure and a authoritive precence and you are right he is a real Persian immortal Eagle .... brave and dignified . God bless his soul .
S.E.O.A jAn,

Great picture. That is an Iranian F-4 Phantom flying over iraqi air base. Isn't it?

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
S.E.O.A jAn,

Great picture. That is an Iranian F-4 Phantom flying over iraqi air base. Isn't it?
Absolutely mate ! as you can see it is about to unleash her rockets on those MIL choppers ,looks like they are caught by surprise and thats how the Phantoms liked it !

I put this picture as a tribute to Nader Jahanbani the immortal Persian Eagle , I am sure the guys in this Phantom are his students ....

parham79

Bench Warmer
Dec 5, 2009
You can see the Tomcats ability in the touch and go manuver and another infamous dead man manuver very popular amongst fighter pilots. It could snap up it's nose at 70 degrees in under a second and out turn an F-15 WHICH WAS IT'S MAIN RIVAL in a tighter radius. An F-5 or an F-4 cant snap up it's nose at that rate without having an engine stall malfunction. This fighter is a work of art. Also the golden crown team led by colonel khalili, zarif khadem( shahid) Javadpour(shut down an mig-25 with his f-5e which is an near impossile acomplishment)and Nassiri who was one of the best pilots iran ever had.

The Tomcat pilots were led by Sartip Zandi(he was demoted after the revolution, prisoned ad tortured by still is the most sucessesfull tomcat pilot of all time with 9 kills)Sargord farahvar(who is in the first video by playboy)afgantolouee, attaei, rostami and taghdis. I cant rewmember the names of the rest.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2005
Perham, you and Motori, and sorry if I forgot anyone else here, are an extremely valuable members here with great posts on the war and military of Iran. There should be a blog section for the people like you and Motori, who can post and inform us others.

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
You can see the Tomcats ability in the touch and go manuver and another infamous dead man manuver very popular amongst fighter pilots. It could snap up it's nose at 70 degrees in under a second and out turn an F-15 WHICH WAS IT'S MAIN RIVAL in a tighter radius. An F-5 or an F-4 cant snap up it's nose at that rate without having an engine stall malfunction. This fighter is a work of art. Also the golden crown team led by colonel khalili, zarif khadem( shahid) Javadpour(shut down an mig-25 with his f-5e which is an near impossile acomplishment)and Nassiri who was one of the best pilots iran ever had.

The Tomcat pilots were led by Sartip Zandi(he was demoted after the revolution, prisoned ad tortured by still is the most sucessesfull tomcat pilot of all time with 9 kills)Sargord farahvar(who is in the first video by playboy)afgantolouee, attaei, rostami and taghdis. I cant rewmember the names of the rest.
Is General zandi the only Tomcat Ace in the world ?

Regarding the Tomcat manouverabilities I read that by using the swing wings and other features ( I have no real knowledge of technical stuff ) they could drop their speed so low and make their adversaries over take them by their faster speed and then end up right behind them for a perfect shot . maybe you could shed some light on this .

They did that successfuly against Iraqs fast and agile fighters ,but what I like to know is how confidently Tomcat pilots engaged with up to 8 Iraqi fighters on their own ! can you describe how big an area this dogfights took place ?

Last edited:

parham79

Bench Warmer
Dec 5, 2009
The sweep wing concept was for three different concepts. better AOA(angle of attack). When the Tomcat wants to decrease the drag that the fighter encounters in high speed/velocity AOA, it will seep it's wings back and when it wants to slow down the speed and perform a configuration landing, it will sweep it's wings out at the max 68 degrees.The glove vanes are also very helpfull in this situation.When the wings are forward, it gives the fighters much better handling at slower speed and when it sweeps it back, it gives it much betterrhandling at higher speed like when it reaches anything over 1.5 mach or over. The wings fully out also allow it to land with easeon shorter runways without having to much problems.

Obviously when the tomcats wanted toclose the aspect of the angle and position it's nose at the enemies 6 oclock, it would sweep it's wings out perform the requierd manuver, most probaly decrease his altitude as the fighter performs in a much better scenario low altitude where the air has more density and the rest is history.However if it wants to climb to say 50,000 feet agl to use the phoenix in a BVR(beyond visual range) scenario it will sweep it's wings back, in a climb till he reaches the designated target.

As for the great brig general zandi, by all accounts he had over 13 kills but the regimes and general babbaei in particulars deep distrust and hate for him discredited him nd he was only given 9 confirmed kill. no other tomcat pilot including United states naval air force pilots had his immense record. Zandi is the most succsessfull ace of alltime.

I know of an encounter over Khark where an single tomcat blew up 3 Mig-23's with two Aim-54's and the rest of the iraqi su-22's and mig-23's fled the area but i'm not sure of the numbers. Also general hazin blew up 3 Mig-23's with one Aim-54's at the first few months of the war and the rest of the strike packiage fled the secene.

parham79

Bench Warmer
Dec 5, 2009
Perham, you and Motori, and sorry if I forgot anyone else here, are an extremely valuable members here with great posts on the war and military of Iran. There should be a blog section for the people like you and Motori, who can post and inform us others.
I cant get to my history here, but i will say, i'll be glad to help.There are to many mozdoors online and i have family mrembers back in Iran so i need to be carefull.

parham79

Bench Warmer
Dec 5, 2009
Pardon me, it was khalaban Adeli with the 3 kills with one AIM-54 just over Khark. General Hazin had a kill just over khoramshar with his Aim-54 when he intercepted a strike packiage of either 3 Mig-23's or 3 Su-22 bombers (i cant remember which one) and blew out the formations squadron leader.

Last edited:

parham79

Bench Warmer
Dec 5, 2009
Colone Dorwan is a national hero. He was responsibe for the release of tens of pilots who were facing certian death and execution and the mollahs turned against him for his actions and called him another taghooti pilot. They new he would never refuse to fly a mission which there was no return.This is after because of hs popuarity and his letter which he wrote to khomenie and the regimes head saying by killing pilots whos only crimes was serving their country. This drew the ire of Khomenie and the hezbollahi regime heads. Now the regimes takes advantage of his great name.He had to be silenced.

Also that clown cheetforoush talking as an expert failed to qualify as a pilot in the us, but because of his khaymalee after the revolution, he became F-5E pilot and only few few hours during the war while the Taghooti pilots like Dorwan did the heavy lifting. Dorood bar ravane pake mard bozorg be nameh Shahid abbas dorwan.

Feb 22, 2005
Thank you for keeping his name alive and making sure the crimes of Islamic regime and their supporters are never forgotten.

Did they execute Dorwan? How many pilots got executed and how many of them do you think were responsible for openning up the door to the weapons. Do we at this point know who were the people without the air force that helped? Do you have more info on how things went wrong, I think it started from showing khominie video in a meeting right?

I think all does point as some have mentioned, a well organized powerful force behind the scene working and driving towards the demise of Shah. Remains me of kennedy who worked on the coup against Mossadegh. An untouchable force behind the scene using money and influence commanding and leading the actions, one after another, that makes it very difficult to counter by Shah or Bakhtiar. Deep influence within the military and the demise of SAVAK, the biggest mistake at a wrong time.

Colone Dorwan is a national hero. He was responsibe for the release of tens of pilots who were facing certian death and execution and the mollahs turned against him for his actions and called him another taghooti pilot. They new he would never refuse to fly a mission which there was no return.This is after because of hs popuarity and his letter which he wrote to khomenie and the regimes head saying by killing pilots whos only crimes was serving their country. This drew the ire of Khomenie and the hezbollahi regime heads. Now the regimes takes advantage of his great name.He had to be silenced.

Also that clown cheetforoush talking as an expert failed to qualify as a pilot in the us, but because of his khaymalee after the revolution, he became F-5E pilot and only few few hours during the war while the Taghooti pilots like Dorwan did the heavy lifting. Dorood bar ravane pake mard bozorg be nameh Shahid abbas dorwan.

Aug 27, 2005
Band e 209
Readin parham’s post prompted me to share a few words about Shahid Major General Abbas Douran with you. I know many of you don’t like the prefix ‘Shahid” but in his case the title truly applies and I can’t find any Persian equivalent word.

He makes me more proud of our motherland where a Man like Gen. Douran can be nourished and raised. I’m sure you can find information regarding his childhood but his military career is all over public domain.

Ever since his entry to flight schools in Iran and U.S he created jaw dropping wonders, his American instructors and colleagues cherished, admired and praised him to an unprecedented level. He was every body’s Wonder Boy.

During his assignment to F-4E squadron in IIAF and IRIAF he invented multiple, seemingly impossible and never before airborne maneuvers which astound every one around. He treated the massive Phantom like a toy in his hands, it seemed like he never sat on cockpit, and instead he wrapped the Phantom around him like he is wearing a garment. When he was in the cockpit, him and the F-4E would become ONE and inseparable machine taking over the heavens.

He was not just an accomplished fighter pilot but also an avid air campaign tactician. I have no doubt in my mind that his multiple tactical plans are still being practiced and kept secret in Iranian Air Force today.

Reading about his last mission always brings tears to my eyes and makes me feel so small and irrelevant. In 1982 100Damn decided to host NAM Conference (the same which was held in Tehran last week) by which trying to show to the world that despite on ongoing war, Iraq enjoyed stability and relative safety which in regard tried to nullify Iranian Air Force extra-territorial activities.

General Douran immediately went on drawing board and came up with the impossible. Iran shall not take such a blow, so “Interrupt the Conference at all cost”.
Shortly before the start of the Conference Khalaban Abbas Douran wrapped his Phantom loaded with Iranian “Gifts” for 100Damn around himself, destination Baghdad.
To minimize the loss he did not take any wingman with him, he flew alone. Upon arrival at Baghdad he attacked Baghdad major oil refinery while flames along with heavy black smoke ascended high enough to be seen from 50 kilometers away, the sound of massive explosion rattled entire Baghdad. He then proceeded toward other targets in the plan but en-rout his Phantom took a crippling hit from a SAM missile, making it impossible to a safe return and a fiery crash was inevitable his copilot ejected over Baghdad. But knowing he was the most wanted and valuable Iranian pilot in Iraq being a POW was not an option for our Wonder Boy. He continued flying his crippled jet toward the most valuable target in the city. Minutes later he slammed his F-4 into the infamous hotel Al-Rashid were the Conference was planed to be held. He presented his life to his Motherland at that moment. What a glorious departure.

The day after NAM canceled Baghdad Conference and it was moved to New-Dehli India.

Ravaanet shaad va maghdamet beh taarikh raastin va paak e Iranzamin geraami baad.

And according to mine and many of my friends sisters he was extremely handsome too. Roohet shaad Pahlevoon.

Attachments