1973 Qatar National Team's Camp in Esfehan - 40 years later where they are and where we are!

OldFan

Bench Warmer
Feb 4, 2005
This is from Kayhan Varzeshi of August 1973. Qatar team has come to Esfehan and plays two matches against the Sepahan team and looses 2-0 and another one against Zob Ahan Youth (Omid) team, and looses 2-1!

In 40 years, Qatar has become the future host of the world cup, has had a head of football federation and now their team is a major obstacle for Iran's team to make it to the world cup.

Attachments

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
I see Ali Shojaei was in the omide Zob ahan team. He later became captain and was invited to TM for the Argentine world cup. He was one of those players that if he was on Taj or Pes would have been a starter in TM. He was the best CD in the mid to late 1350s but never played a minute in TM.

Oct 18, 2002
Antelope Valley,California
Happay daheye zajr >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Did you guys expect otherwise???

Doktor joon....Our ethnicity has changed too, at least in the managementand planning of the country...If they have gone African, we have gone Arab.....

Oct 18, 2002
I see Ali Shojaei was in the omide Zob ahan team. He later became captain and was invited to TM for the Argentine world cup. He was one of those players that if he was on Taj or Pes would have been a starter in TM. He was the best CD in the mid to late 1350s but never played a minute in TM.
I remember him very well. Him and earlier Masih nia , were two great defenders that never got what they deserved.

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
I remember him very well. Him and earlier Masih nia , were two great defenders that never got what they deserved.
I remember Masih Masihnia. Right?
Ali Shojai's son Mostafa Shojaei played for Sepahane Noveen and was their top scorer the year that they made it to the IPL but Foolad bought their rights and this kid went down hill due to depression. He plays for Mes now and scored a couple of goals against Pespes last time they played. Overall not a bad player but unlucky.

kasra1930

National Team Player
Dec 30, 2011
great post old fan jan......very very interesting.....welcome one more time....

Last edited:

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
Is it not a great honor to be in the world cup squad ZA jan ? as far as I remember Abdollahi and Gazaerani played some great football in CD and maybe he was not far behind them but I think the pair of Abdollahi and Gazerani did very well .

we just had too many good footballers ,we could have fielded 3 or 4 teams of more or less on par players .

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
Is it not a great honor to be in the world cup squad ZA jan ? as far as I remember Abdollahi and Gazaerani played some great football in CD and maybe he was not far behind them but I think the pair of Abdollahi and Gazerani did very well .

we just had too many good footballers ,we could have fielded 3 or 4 teams of more or less on par players .
OA jan of course being in TM even on the bench and especially during the khoda biamorz era was an honor. However this still doesn't justify the discrimination that shahrestai players faced. One clear example is Abdolali Changiz. He was the best left MF ever in Iran but never got what he deserved until he joined Taj. Thanks to Blazevic and Sepahan for helping to break those glass ceilings but it is a fact that most people ignore.

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
OA jan of course being in TM even on the bench and especially during the khoda biamorz era was an honor. However this still doesn't justify the discrimination that shahrestai players faced. One clear example is Abdolali Changiz. He was the best left MF ever in Iran but never got what he deserved until he joined Taj. Thanks to Blazevic and Sepahan for helping to break those glass ceilings but it is a fact that most people ignore.
I do see your point ,you always got noticed more if you played for the two Tehran giants , was it fair ? certainly not but those days it was beginning to get better ,mind you playing for those two clubs was like getting into team melli squad ,you had to be very good to be picked up by those two ...

Oct 18, 2002
We even see it now days......
Farzad hatami is a good example. He has played 6-7 games for Taj, and frankly not at the quality that he performed for Tiraxtur, and all of sudden he is TM player.......

Most friends ( Tehrani friends) keep insisting of equating TM success to the strenght of 2 big clubs. Just one point to ponder :

Our best TM results in the history, in the golden years of mid to late 70s, was obtained when Pas was the dominant team and teams like malavan, naft, shahbaz and particularly homa were challenging Taj and Pespes for their monopoly.......

And regarding Shojaii... Once Heshmat Mohajerani mentioned that the pool of talent was so deep ( Thanks to federation of the time,youth programs and takht Jamshid league) that by the time of 78 WC he could easily form 2-3 teams of equal strenght. Indication: B team at Kuwait against asian giants of time had easier time defeating Zagalo's team than A team had in Tehran .....Shojaii MAY have been as good as Gazerani, we will never know.But he lacked international experience. With Masihnia , ( which in my opinion) was better than both Abdollahi and Gazerani, the issue was career ending injury.