2 Zari on Branko

westwienmaskulin

News Team, ISP Managers Team, ISP Podcast Team
Oct 18, 2002
Av. Aristide Maillol, BCN
I hate his line-up, I hate his system, I dislike most of the players he selects, I hate the way Iran plays at time, I hate Daei playing every game for 90 minutes..

But really...he has had "success" in Iran and should take us to the world cup...exactly what we need.
Although I believe some of his selections are crap, he also picked guys like Navidkia, Mobali, Borhani, etc. for TM.
He somehow managed to win Zandi and Hashemian back for TM..
Plus...he is someone the players(and also most former players) respect...not even Blazevic was that much respected.

Therefore...no matter how I think about him, realistically and objectively, and no offense to anyone, but if you think Branko should be fired, you should really examine your dogooleh.

Oct 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Good post. I agree. I think he is indeed a sutborn coach and just TOO conservative. But if he keeps getting results for Iran as he has done (for the most part) in the past, then his position as TM's coach is justifiable.

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
great post westi!

He is conservative but atleast with his style of tactics, we have become a very consistant team. just few yrs ago we used to have a very Deymi team.
winning one game, being trashed in another.

With Branco we have had continues wins and rarely ties/loss.and we managed to make up for it later on. we'll do it this time too!:)

MohammadLin

Bench Warmer
Aug 9, 2004
Well said man. Let me just add one thing what I see different in current TM compare to previous ones.
This TM doesn't give up till last minute (and fight with patience) even if are under the worst circumstances (couple of examples; game with Oman, Qatar, Jordan, SKorea). And this could well come from players' respect towards him.
Man I tell you in game with Korea, I as a viewer got tired after they tied the third time. Usually team that ties is in a better mental state=> but they proof this theory wrong!

eshghi

News Team
Oct 18, 2002
San Diego, CA
Good post Westi. Short and to the point (unlike my toomaars) ;)
I don't think there is a coach out there who can "fix" our football as our
problems are much more deep-rooted than we may realize. Branko has
his flaws, but he has the respect of our players. They like playing for him.
Our football is an emotional one. Branko has managed to tap into those
emotions when he needed to, while also keeping it in check.

Jan 23, 2003
westwienmaskulin said:
I hate his line-up, I hate his system, I dislike most of the players he selects, I hate the way Iran plays at time, I hate Daei playing every game for 90 minutes..

But really...he has had "success" in Iran and should take us to the world cup...exactly what we need.
Although I believe some of his selections are crap, he also picked guys like Navidkia, Mobali, Borhani, etc. for TM.
He somehow managed to win Zandi and Hashemian back for TM..
Plus...he is someone the players(and also most former players) respect...not even Blazevic was that much respected.

Therefore...no matter how I think about him, realistically and objectively, and no offense to anyone, but if you think Branko should be fired, you should really examine your dogooleh.

Great post. Exactly how i feel, although I am ok with his general squad selection but starting 11 and 4-2-3-1 I make no comments.

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
I just hope that after the Japan game, we're not in a position to tell you guys (the Branco fans) "we told you so", when you guys are going on and on about how Branco is right and we lost the game because the fans in the stadium were too loud, or the game was to close to Nowrooz and the players weren't focused, or the ball had a 1% deviance from being a perfect sphere or Daei was trying out new shoes, or nobody scheduled the poor guy a friendly game or taught him how to read a FIFA calendar, or ....

backechap

Nov 22, 2002
Bi-honar said:
I just hope that after the Japan game, we're not in a position to tell you guys (the Branco fans) "we told you so", when you guys are going on and on about how Branco is right and we lost the game because the fans in the stadium were too loud, or the game was to close to Nowrooz and the players weren't focused, or the ball had a 1% deviance from being a perfect sphere or Daei was trying out new shoes, or nobody scheduled the poor guy a friendly game or taught him how to read a FIFA calendar, or ....
And I hope we end up telling you Branco bashers "we told you so" :)

ibrahim

Bench Warmer
Oct 20, 2002
Sydney
I as for one agree with Westi and I am 100% behind Branko no matter what happens. There are people out here who are already calling for the poor guys head and that we should fire him if we lose to Japan, what the hell is that going to achieve, bring a new coach through the qualifiers is pathetic and our federation is not that stupid to do so anyway. even if we don't qualify (khoda nashnave) I still support him because I cant see anyone else coming over to coach us and end of the day, its up to our players to perform because a coach can only do so much to manage a team.

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
Backechap jaan, if Branco gets us to the WC, then I'll be more than happy when you tell me "I told you so". Hell, I've already ordered my tickets! We're a long way from that though. Don't forget, we have only had one loss in Azadi in WCQ since 1973 and that was the Jordan game. So, we are not expected to lose. If this "capable" coach comes in and causes us to lose where we had not lost for 31 years, then I don't really know what to say about that. The funny thing though is that some people are saying, Branco is still great if we lose to Japan in Azadi. What the hell are these guys talking about? Under any coach, vatani, or foreign, we had not lost in Azadi for 31 years and under Branco we lose twice in less than a year and this guy is great?! Sometimes I think I'm losing my mind on this board!

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
ibrahim said:
I as for one agree with Westi and I am 100% behind Branko no matter what happens. There are people out here who are already calling for the poor guys head and that we should fire him if we lose to Japan, what the hell is that going to achieve, bring a new coach through the qualifiers is pathetic and our federation is not that stupid to do so anyway. even if we don't qualify (khoda nashnave) I still support him because I cant see anyone else coming over to coach us and end of the day, its up to our players to perform because a coach can only do so much to manage a team.
That is what I call blind support. Keep him even if we don't qualify? For what? As far as who will come to coach us, Money Talks...Pay a good salary & you'll have the best knocking on our door.