A Captain...my Kingdom for a Captain!

Aug 26, 2005

As Gerrard's #1 fan, it's about time I made a thread about the man. Gerrard's peak is a period basically everybody is familiar with, and likewise his injury-riddled past seasons had made him a shadow of the Superman he was, and people were aware of that too. But since certain parts of Kenny's tenure and for most of Rodgers', he has reinvented himself.

If my love for Gerrard as a footballer was because of the fact that he did everything on the pitch you wanted, to an incredible standard, in multiple positions; the one lingering doubt that remained was his adeptness at playing the regista role - the deep lying midfield playmaker.

He was a brilliant box-to-box midfielder who had it all, and displayed a brilliance behind the forward in terms of vision but he'd always gotten stick for moving around too much when he was a pure central midfielder. To many, this meant that Steven Gerrard was a headless chicken who didn't have the nous of a Pirlo or a Scholes or a Xavi.

To me and many others, these people simply hadn't watched Gerrard, or Liverpool, enough. They argued he didn't have patience; that he went for too many low-risk balls; that he left his position too much. All these things happened but because of one thing: if he didn't make something or score himself; Liverpool didn't have anybody else. In the best years we had as a club we had a full compliment of world class players - the 08-09 season a perfect example - and Gerrard had some of his best seasons. In those years, he could defer...to Alonso, to Mascherano, to Torres, to Hamann, to Murphy, etc.

He's never had the luxury of a the aforementioned registas, who are considered brains of the game, because they could defer to players around them. Scholes, Xavi, Pirlo...all had great players surrounding them wherever they went/almost every year. If he kept the ball, passed it 100 times, but did not much else; Liverpool would get nowhere. If he simply just played further up the pitch and attacked; no one could bring the ball out or start play properly for the team. He's always had to do the job of two world-class players to keep us competitive.

Gerrard stayed and faced the cost of being stretched like this - he also won everything bar the league title and has incredible performances players themselves dream about. But, let's move on. That's history. Gerrard is the best regista in England and it's not even close. In fact, he's probably the best in the world or on par with anyone right now. His injuries coupled with Rodgers' deployment of him in that role has forced him to hold more but he is still as effective as ever.

This year, it is clear that Liverpool are reaping the rewards. Last year, it was less obvious. It was around Dec-Jan that it finally clicked properly for Gerrard and since then Liverpool have been on top 4 form, counting the calendar year. It has been in large part because Gerrard has managed to combine all his talents, but forgo those 20 goal season targets. In a way, he doesn't need to do that anymore - we have more than enough firepower up front now.

To put it into stats: Gerrard was the 5th best passer in the league in terms of volume and accuracy (he averages around 70 passes @ 87%) - and Liverpool were the 5th best in Europe - but he was also in the top 5 for chances created as well as passes into the opposition third. What does this mean? It means Gerrard controlled the ball from the back like a Scholes, yet made more chances than guys like Mata last year, despite playing just in front of the centrebacks. As I talked about it last year in another thread; the only player who really combined both facets to such a high level was Pirlo. And although Pirlo is also close in terms of contributing goals (assists + goals scored); Gerrard also puts in a defensive shift that even a younger Yaya Toure doesn't match. It isn't his main role in the team, but he more than does enough on that end. And that just shows what an incredible force he is.

Ferguson came out with a statement designed to sell books - that Gerrard wasn't a 'top, top' player. Zidane came out ridiculing that notion. As did basically everyone else. Gerrard on the pitch was incredible, but off the pitch he is also a great guy. A loyal guy, a humble guy, and a natural born leader. The players in the club, past and present, are in awe of him. Even last year Bayern came to get him, he said no - imagine what more he could have won. And that is precisely why he may never get the praise he deserves. Swap any player in the world for Gerrard in the Liverpool side of the past 10-15 years; and we don't win half of what we won. Put Gerrard in any of the great sides in the same era; and they win even more. For me, this illustrates his value beyond a doubt.

If there are footballing gods out there, I just hope they grant me one wish: that he wins the World Cup, raising it above his head. His legacy deserves it. And knowing him, it would be an incredible final where he scores some last minute screamer.

I gave you stats, I gave you my opinion; now I'll let you enjoy one of the finest compilations of long-range passing you will ever see...and this was just from last year - the reason why he can make so many chances despite playing deep. Enjoy.

[video=youtube;4_lR-jT6Im0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_lR-jT6Im0[/video]

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2005
Haha...no mate... the odds are just too long. I don't believe it will happen, although I wish it would.

I don't think there has ever been a team to win it who came from 7th the year before. It is usually a team that is 2nd, worst 3rd. But...if it does happen...this is the kind of year where it could.

1) Rodgers has bought brilliantly and the team looks full of talent - even the young players out on loan are doing well.
2) The system he has implemented has gotten the best out of the available talent; but in a way that is fluid and not restricting.
3) The league is totally different this year. Only Wenger, Rodgers and AVB are continuing from last year with the other top teams changing coaches.
4) Ferguson isn't there - and his team is looking lucky to even get into the top 4 at this stage. United have won so many titles that simply them not competing is a big thing.
5) The league is very strong; it means that you won't need perfection to win the title - something like La Liga where draws are the new losses. I wouldn't be surprised if a mid 80s points tally wins the league this year.
6) Our starting XI is as good as any in the league; and the good thing is we're only in 2 competitions now. So we don't need to rotate the squad. We've not even played with our best XI yet this far - we will be once Coutinho and Agger return.

Aside from all that, the EPL IMO is the best to watch this year. It is VERY tough to guess results as the teams are strong and the quality of goals have been astounding. Much more so than previous years.

Last edited:

byebyenow

Elite Member
Jun 3, 2006
Well Have some hopes man. Both Valencia and Deportivo finished 5th and 6th the year before their championship ..

Anyways good luck . :cool:
Also don't forget about that unbeaten Conte's team which won it after Juve finished 7th in previous season!

byebyenow

Elite Member
Jun 3, 2006
Gerrard is awesome, he is what you want from your players. There was times he showed little bit of rustiness but last season he showed what he can do again. He is probably underrated ! Lampard is another great English Midfielder but I think Gerrard put much more than Frank into the game he is more of a complete player!

Aug 26, 2005
Lampard is a great player with a great engine, but he didn't really have as much of a defensive side to his game and positionally he's been more of an attacking midfielder, whereas Gerrard has played everywhere bar keeper at some point in his career. Lampard worked really hard on his game to be at that level. Jamie Carragher has been friends with Lampard throughout his career (youth teams, etc) and said something I agree with: that while Gerrard was born world class; Lampard had to make himself world class. I think that is about right. I think unfortunately for Frank, he's been overshadowed by a player who simply is better than him (Gerrard). In another generation he may have gotten more plaudits.

On another note; it's funny to me that Liverpool fans jumped the gun and nicknamed Fowler "God". If they had waited a while that nickname would have went to Stevie...he has been everything for us. I should start a petition! :p

Aug 26, 2005
Did anyone watch the Fulham game? Absolutely bossed the game (70% possession while he was on the pitch), 2 assists, comes off the pitch with Liverpool 4-0 around the 65th minute. On MOTD they were gushing over him, a great game after a disappointing one against Arsenal. He's equal 1st on assists now I think. Will try to find a match compilation. Here's the MOTD one with analysis at the end.

http://motd.lfc.vn/s14-w11-liverpool-fulham-hd/

Aug 26, 2005
Welp, Stevie has been hit by a hamstring injury and might be out for a month. A terrible time since we already have Enrique and Sturridge out, and we're facing Spurs, City and Chelsea in the next 4 games. I think we'll be ok defensively with Allen and Lucas very adept at keeping the ball and putting their foot in. Attacking-wise, we need Coutinho and Suarez to be on their games.

As an update for the season so far, Gerrard is currently the #1 chance creator in England, #1 assister, equal with Ozil, and in the top 5 for passing+accuracy. As I mentioned earlier, he combines the output of an Ozil in attacking, an Alonso in passing in the holding role, and even makes more tackles and interceptions than Yaya Toure...all at 33 years of age.

There are sites out there that collect the statistical data and based on their own algorithms give player rankings. Look below:

On Squawka.com he is the #1 player in the EPL.
http://goo.gl/nIujnh

On Whoscored.com he is the #5 player in the EPL and in their Team of the Season thus far.
http://goo.gl/xHjV6d

Aug 26, 2005
Gerrard Update:

He's been moved to DM, holding and it's a decision him and Rodgers have taken to realise his role for the next few years as he ages - basically, the Pirlo role. After a bit of growing pains in the first game he has been imperious; dominating and still contributing to our attack. We're destroying teams with this setup and Coutinho just ahead.

His current Whoscored.com rating puts him in the 5th best player in the EPL this year. He's got 9 assists now, which is the highest in England and only 2nd to Fabregas' 10 in the whole of Europe. To put his rating in perspective, you have to understand he is sitting on 7.72 for the season, which is higher than Xavi (7.10), Iniesta (7.36), Yaya Toure (7.48), Pirlo (7.59) and many others.

After his winning penalty against Fulham, you could see from his over the top celebration and he sensed this could be the year. And he just might do it the way him and a few others are performing this season.

Jan 23, 2003
I can't see us winning either it because in addition to having a suspect defence, I am not sure whether we have the nerves not to choke in the final must win games (provided we're still in the race by then). I think the best equipped team for this is Chelsea's Mourinho.

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
I am. what' the bet and how much?
بی جهت کیسه نَدوز
کاظم هنوز دانشجو است و بودجه اش محدوده
آخرین باری که می خواست شرط ببنده یک " سی.دی ( لوح ِ فشرده ) " پیشنهاد داد

Aug 26, 2005
I am. what' the bet and how much?
I am thinking more along the lines of a friendly gift bet. Last time I made a bet with Behrooz for a DVD set of ESPN's Legends of Cricket. How about something like that?

بی جهت کیسه نَدوز
کاظم هنوز دانشجو است و بودجه اش محدوده
آخرین باری که می خواست شرط ببنده یک " سی.دی ( لوح ِ فشرده ) " پیشنهاد داد
Haha, are you in or not?

I don't mind cash bets, but generally not with friends. Let me know.