A Selection from "Resaleh" (Towzih ol Masael) Book of Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini

Ardesheer

Bench Warmer
Jun 30, 2005
And so when you compare Muhammad to Hitler it reminds me of Glenn Beck comparing Obama to Hitler and calling him a fascist, a vampire, or somebody who wants to kill disabled children. He even said that Obama hates white people when Obama's own mother and the grandparents who raised him were white. So the comparisons don't stick, and are another example of extremism and absolutism, whereby hizbollahis say that Muhammad was God's messenger and made absolutely no mistakes whatsoever and was perfect in every way, shap, and form, while you and Ostad Pooya claim that Muhammad was the equivalent of Hitler and wanted to rape and destroy humanity.
Well, it seems that you like to portray two extremes and says that extreme ends are unacceptable. That's not correct. The comparison with Hitler is based on killings, so people can see the similarities. One killed in the name of a God that nobody else saw or talked to at the time, except Mohammad through a fairy. The other killed for the reasons that everyone knows. Yet, you have made a hero out of one killer. I say that those who died back then felt pain the same way as those today, their relatives felt for them the same way. They had kids and wives. You think to point out that someone killed and caused a lot of people to be killed is an extreme view. I think those are the facts. You say it was 1400 years. I say it does not matter. Hitler came and is gone, so is his destruction. Mohammad's ideas are still well and alive, and many interpret Islam different than you and still kill in his name. Why don't you go read Khomeini's speech that said in one day they killed 700 or so, and Islam is a religion of war and not just compasion, and then he killed many as well. My point is that your version of Islam is yours, and those who have huge followers do not advertise your version. You may want to dress up Islam in the 21st century, but those who followed do not agree with you. See what they did right after he died. Those people knew Mohammad and Islam better than you or anyone else. Omar attacked Iran and killed. Did Iranians attack them? He followed the teachings of Mohammad, so did people who succeeded them one by one for 1400 years. Now, all of a sudden, eveyone has misinterpreted all the teachings.

You have made many other points that I don't have the time to respond to. However, you again ask for quotes regarding sleeping with Kaniz. I have cited many references in support of other things that I said, and your response is that it was the custom back then. Does it then matter if I give you one more reference? If you tell me that you will change your mind about Mohammad and Islam if I give you this last reference, then OK. Otherwise, what's the point? I don't see you cite any references for what you say, and why your interpretation is correct, other than that's how you would like to see it.

Ardesheer

Bench Warmer
Jun 30, 2005
Jenaabe ostaad Ardesheer,
do you see my points? i want you to thoroughly, succinctly and point by point, write your refutation under my reasonings. i hope you can do that instead of sending me off to another site.

The fact you are getting this from a hostile source (missionary site) speaks volumes. I am not refusing the fact that in bukhari it says she was 6, but you have to accept that the same bukhari shows us she was not 6 or 9, but older. And doing the calculation (hesaabe 2+2=4) also tells us she was older. I find it ironic however that a missionary site is attacking islam with such a logic, when Mary mother of Jesus was 10-12 when she had him! but I digress.

Below are the points we made. You said they were ALL refuted. Make a logical, historical, or mathematical argument against each point and let us know.

Thanks,

• Ibn Hisham’s recension of Ibn Ishaq’s Sirat Rashul Allah, the earliest surviving biography of Muhammad, records Aisha as having converted to Islam before Umar ibn al-Khattab, during the first few years of Islam around 610 CE. In order to accept Islam she must have been walking and talking, hence at least three years of age, which would make her at least fifteen in 622 CE.

• Ardesheer, please provide your refutation of this point here.

• Tabari reports that Abu Bakr wished to spare Aisha the discomforts of a journey to Ethiopia soon after 615 CE, and tried to bring forward her marriage to Mut`am’s son. Mut`am refused because Abu Bakr had converted to Islam, but if Aisha was already of marriageable age in 615 CE, she must have been older than nine in 622 CE.

• Tabari also reports that Abu Bakr’s four children were all born during the Jahiliyyah, the pre Islamic period, which could be said to have ended in 610 CE, making Aisha at least twelve in 622 CE.

• According to Ibn Hajar, Fatima was five years older than Aisha. Fatima is reported to have been born when Muhammad was thirty-five years old, meaning Aisha was born when he was forty years old, and thus twelve when Muhammad married at fifty-two.

• According to the generally accepted tradition, Aisha was born about eight years before Hijrah. However, according to another narrative in Bukhari (Kitaab al-Tafseer) Aisha is reported to have said that at the time Surah Al-Qamar, the 54th chapter of the Qur’an , was revealed, “I was a young girl”. The 54th Surah of the Qur’an was revealed nine years before Hijrah. According to this tradition, Aisha had not only been born before the revelation of the referred Surah, but was actually a young girl, not even only an infant at that time. So if this age is assumed to be 7 to 14 years then her age at the time of marriage would be 14 to 21.

Ardesheer, please provide your refutation of this point here.

According to almost all the historians, Asma the elder sister of Aisha, was ten years older than Aisha. It is reported in Taqreeb al-Tehzeeb as well as Al-Bidayah wa al-Nihayah that Asma died in the 73rd year after migration of Muhammad when she was 100 years old. Now, obviously if Asma was 100 years old in the 73rd year after Migration to Medina, she should have been 27 or 28 years old at the time of migration. If Asma was 27 or 28 years old at the time of hijrah, Aisha should have been 17 or 18 years old at that time. Thus, Aisha – if she got married in 1 AH (after Migration to Medina) or 2 AH – was between 18 to 20 years old at the time of her marriage.

a friendly word of advice, if you are looking for the truth, its serves you best that you look at both sides of argument, and that you look at unbiased sources. Reading missionary sites who have a vested interest against islam only serves one purpose: ra-affirming already existing prejudices against islam. Many times I have read missionary pamphlets and articles, only to findout later that they were half quoting a verse, or quoting out of context or even mistranslating (in malice).
If you are seriously interested to learn, just read the link that I posted and it goes through these point-by-point. I do not have the time. Also, I'll do this if you refute all the references I cited in a number of posts before citing 8 different books and many references in each.

Look, the souce is immaterial. The references that have been cited are Muslim historians. If you open those references and the text is not there, then come and tell all of us Sahih, Tabari, etc. did not say Ayeshe's age. That's what those books say. Don't kill the messenger, and focus on the message. Trust me, I, like many people here, were raised in Iran and we have heard your side and facts every single day. It's now the time for us to hear the real facts from the same books that ayatollahs rely upon to feed people with teachings of Prophet and Imams. Either these books are right or wrong. Whatever that's not acceptable today, these books are wrong about. Rights? And, the rest that helps your cause, like age of her sister and when she died, that must be true. Right? When these books explicitly say her age, you have to do many songs and dances to extrapolate from other places, like age of war, her sister, when converted to Islam, etc. The books in a number of places, without a doubt, say she was six, and had sex at nine. If you find one book that explicity, without ten derivations, say that she was seventeen, let us see it.

Aug 26, 2009
Mr. Ardesheer,

I accept you comment of "its in bukhari so she must have been 6" - But the same Bukhari tells us that she was not 6 or 9, but older!!! If you accept bukhari you have to accept my points too... so it is now left to the actual hesab of do-do-ta-chahar-ta which is the mathematical calculation which puts her age beyond 9.

Yes, i am serious to learn.
Which is why i am asking you to give us a point by point refutation of my points.

The link you posted do not answer my questions. I read through it, it touches on 3-4 points, but does not give a full response. Maybe I am reading the site wrong? so why don't you spell it out for me and everyone here?

I have given you my point and have provided a space for your rebuttal. Its a great chance to prove me wrong on ALL points as you said earlier.

Putting a link to a huge confusing article and saying 'I do not have the time to prove my points' is not a way to debate. If you had the time to read the article you linked (which you must have since you said ALL my points were refuted!!!!) then you certainly have the time to write a point by point refutation

Please go ahead and refute me point by point now.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Meehandoost

Bench Warmer
Sep 4, 2005
Dear Meehandoost, by 'end' as in Ardesheer's post, I think he meant 'forever'. About my contention that no such requirement exist in Quran, I don't recall any verse to the contrary. Do you know any such reference?
Yes I do deerouz jaan which I will be happy to share, but first some reflection may be warranted on words such as "the end", and their allegorical meaning which reflect the relative nature of religious truths and the evolutionary nature of human beings.

"Forever" as you know is a very long time and followers of all past religions have had the same misconception to have presumed their religion to be the last and final word of God, including Judaism and Christianity. They too base their arguments on some verses from their holy books:

"Go thy way, Daniel, for the words are closed up and sealed till the time of the end."
- Daniel 12:9

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth and the life; no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."
- John 14:6
"Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away."
- Luke 21:33

Therefore, the meaning of "time of the end" must be consistent with the purpose of religion which is to educate humanity progressively. This becomes evident if one was to reflect on the meaning of many passages in the holy books.

Oct 18, 2002
Well, it seems that you like to portray two extremes and says that extreme ends are unacceptable. That's not correct. The comparison with Hitler is based on killings, so people can see the similarities. One killed in the name of a God that nobody else saw or talked to at the time, except Mohammad through a fairy. The other killed for the reasons that everyone knows. Yet, you have made a hero out of one killer.
I don't think this is a reasonable approach. Essentially, you use two assumptions as the basis for the debate: 1) God's rules or messages to the men should be always the same and unchanged forever, and 2) someone who claims to be a messenger from God, should behave in every action as a role model for all the generations that come centuries after him. You are right that both assumptions are central to the current Islamic belief. Now to challenge Islam in this regard, two approaches are possible: 1) To challenge Muhammad's character as a person, to show that he could not have been a messenger from God, or 2) To challenge the two above principles; to show that God's rules for the man do not need to be time independent, and that a messenger from God need not be a superhuman.

You took the first approach (i.e. attack on Muhammad himself) which is easier when one tries to compare a historical figure with today's standards. However this approach is also vulnerable to a counterattack: that as a historical (and not religious) figure, Muhammad does not look like a 7th century Hitler at all: he is one of the most successful nation builders of the past 2000 years; he killed far fewer people during his whole life that Darius the Great did in one month (and every other leader of that era); he married far fewer women than was customary for a political leader at his time, and the civilization he built became one of the most advanced empires in those days. You will undoubtedly counter that: "But he was a prophet, not just a political leader..." this argument neither works for a religious muslim who would think you are trying to demonize his religion, nor for a secular muslim or non-muslim who would see muhammad as a historical fugure and thus will find your argument against him unreasonable and unfair.

The advantage of the second approach, i.e. arguing that God's law need not be static, is that not only it demonstrates the deficiencies of the current Islamic thought, but also provides a solution. and it is fair. It will not matter whether Muhammad was really a messenger from God or not. But rather whether the rules that was brought 1400 years ago should be still applicable to today's world. Muslims will be encouraged to find the essence of religious teachings rather than the phony structures of organized religion, and to develop their own relationship with the God they believe in.

And another advantage is that: it works. It worked for Christianity since 300 years ago. It is even easier to change Islam from an organzied religion into a personal religion, because Islamic theology recognizes no official church and no priest.

RoozbehAzadi

National Team Player
Nov 19, 2002
Well, it seems that you like to portray two extremes and says that extreme ends are unacceptable. That's not correct.
I would venture to say Glenn Beck would say the same thing if somebody called him extreme for saying that President Obama wants to kill grandma with a death panel through his public option program. Extremes ideologies never result in positive outcomes, whether they be hizbollahi or anti-Islamic. I believe that your ideology of hate for Islam is as extreme and negative as that of those extreme hizbollahis in Iran who believe that Burrito Khamenei is divine and more important than the people. I equate the satellite tv folks in LA with Ayatollahs Janati and Mesbah Yazdi. Both extremist ideologies create nothing but division, hate, and as we can see in Iran, pain for people.

The comparison with Hitler is based on killings, so people can see the similarities. One killed in the name of a God that nobody else saw or talked to at the time, except Mohammad through a fairy. The other killed for the reasons that everyone knows. Yet, you have made a hero out of one killer. I say that those who died back then felt pain the same way as those today, their relatives felt for them the same way. They had kids and wives. You think to point out that someone killed and caused a lot of people to be killed is an extreme view. I think those are the facts. You say it was 1400 years. I say it does not matter. Hitler came and is gone, so is his destruction.
Thus, based on this logic, Cyrus the Great was also equal to Hitler, as were all Persian Kings and all Roman Kings and all leaders throughout history who have ever waged war on others.

What set Hitler aside was genocide against minorities, and against Jews in particular. Muhammad didn't do this, and neither did Cyrus or most other Persian Kings although there have been Persians and other leaders throughout history who have done genocide. Islam at that time had a rule regarding how non-Muslims would be respected while at the same time they would pay higher taxes. However, nowadays this is an absurd rule that should be reformed to have equal taxes for all, regardless of religion.

At that time, and I'd say until about World War II when Hitler and the Japanese conducted their genocides against other races, most wars were conducted differently from today. Collateral damage wasn't even an issue, and if we go back further than 100 years ago, killing women and children was even seen as a part of war. When the Europeans came to the Holy Land conducting crusades, they killed every Muslim man, woman and child in Jerusalem. When Saladin regained Jerusalem, instead of doing this he simply evicted most of the Europeans living there.

And so I don't apply the same standards of human rights today as several thousand years ago, even though killing innocents is wrong, and war is wrong to begin with, different standards on life and death existed then, as different standards will exist 1000 years from now.

Mohammad's ideas are still well and alive, and many interpret Islam different than you and still kill in his name. Why don't you go read Khomeini's speech that said in one day they killed 700 or so, and Islam is a religion of war and not just compasion, and then he killed many as well.
Any idea or philosophy can be interpreted differently to be positive or negative. Any religion can be interpreted likewise, whereby you can either see yourself as a “chosen one” and look down on all other religions or non-believers, such that killing them is ok, or you can see yourself as somebody who understands a positive idea, like helping those in poverty and then help those less fortunate than yourself regardless of their religious or philosophical beliefs.

An Iranian nationalist can view nationalism from the perspective of love of Iran and Iran's grand history and rich culture, or they can view nationalism from the perspective of hate of Arabs, Turks, Indians, Pakistanis, among others.

This is not Islam's fault that Khomeini took some negative and hateful views and interpretations, it's Khomeini's fault. The individual in Islam or any religion or ideology has a responsibility to think for themselves and come out with an output that marks their individualism.

My point is that your version of Islam is yours, and those who have huge followers do not advertise your version.
Actually the Islam I'm talking about has been around for over 1000 years and is called Sufism. But I don't pretend to be a Sufi or to practice Sufism in any strict manner, and as an individual I do have my own interpretations and feel that this is only necessary as a human being. Yet Sufism has millions of followers around the world, and outside Sufism there's also a reform movement with those like Abdol Karim Soroush and others who have said that Islam needs serious reform and change, that we can't apply the rules of thousands of years ago to the present time and global culture. So I would say that there's a lot more of those like me and we're growing, but we're not as loud as the hizbollahis who go yell “marg bar!!!!” and other such nonsense.

You may want to dress up Islam in the 21st century, but those who followed do not agree with you.
I don't dress up anything, but interpret it according to the current settings. Maybe stoning to death was commonplace thousands of years ago, but nowadays it shouldn't exist. Maybe praying 5 times a day in Arabic made sense back then, but nowadays, praying in any language and doing it sincerely by wishing health and happiness for those you love is in line with the idea of prayer and yet a huge change as well. What I look at here is a huge, huge update. Imagine if we still had the same Apple II computers of 30 years ago in use at the biggest corporations today, with that same software and hardware that had probably less strength than our cell phones today. It would be ridiculous. So of course what I, and many others, are calling for is an update and even though this would be opposed by the orthodox believers, I feel like many more would welcome this and be a part of it as well.

See what they did right after he died. Those people knew Mohammad and Islam better than you or anyone else. Omar attacked Iran and killed. Did Iranians attack them? He followed the teachings of Mohammad, so did people who succeeded them one by one for 1400 years. Now, all of a sudden, eveyone has misinterpreted all the teachings.
Many people, including myself, don't look at Omar the same way as we look at Muhammad. I believe the manner in which he treated Persians back then was harsh and out of line. And yet, Ali was incredibly biased towards Iranians despite being 100% Arab himself. He regularly scolded the Arab scholars for not working as hard as Persians in interpretation of Islamic works, and demanded Persians be treated fairly and even-handedly. Even when he was killed, he prayed that God forgive his killer. This is another lesson in both forgiveness and love. I think there's a lot to learn from him, many after him, including great Persian poets, as well as even some mullahs today like Khatami in his call of dialogue of civilizations. However, I don't want mullahs as politicians, and even though I truly respect the works of those like Khatami on creating dialogue between different world ideologies, I am a secular nationalist on the political front.

You have made many other points that I don't have the time to respond to. However, you again ask for quotes regarding sleeping with Kaniz. I have cited many references in support of other things that I said, and your response is that it was the custom back then. Does it then matter if I give you one more reference? If you tell me that you will change your mind about Mohammad and Islam if I give you this last reference, then OK. Otherwise, what's the point? I don't see you cite any references for what you say, and why your interpretation is correct, other than that's how you would like to see it.
Could you please cite the Sura of the Quran that says that Muhammad had the right to rape? And could you please back this up by interpretations, maybe including Christian missionaries and neocons, but also others who aren't biased against Islam as well, and also Muslim interpretations of the Sura. I think if you have the time to come here and post these claims you should also find the time to back them up.

Ardesheer

Bench Warmer
Jun 30, 2005
I would venture to say Glenn Beck would say the same thing if somebody called him extreme for saying that President Obama wants to kill grandma with a death panel through his public option program. Extremes ideologies never result in positive outcomes, whether they be hizbollahi or anti-Islamic. I believe that your ideology of hate for Islam is as extreme and negative as that of those extreme hizbollahis in Iran who believe that Burrito Khamenei is divine and more important than the people. I equate the satellite tv folks in LA with Ayatollahs Janati and Mesbah Yazdi. Both extremist ideologies create nothing but division, hate, and as we can see in Iran, pain for people.

Thus, based on this logic, Cyrus the Great was also equal to Hitler, as were all Persian Kings and all Roman Kings and all leaders throughout history who have ever waged war on others.

What set Hitler aside was genocide against minorities, and against Jews in particular. Muhammad didn't do this, and neither did Cyrus or most other Persian Kings although there have been Persians and other leaders throughout history who have done genocide. Islam at that time had a rule regarding how non-Muslims would be respected while at the same time they would pay higher taxes. However, nowadays this is an absurd rule that should be reformed to have equal taxes for all, regardless of religion.

At that time, and I'd say until about World War II when Hitler and the Japanese conducted their genocides against other races, most wars were conducted differently from today. Collateral damage wasn't even an issue, and if we go back further than 100 years ago, killing women and children was even seen as a part of war. When the Europeans came to the Holy Land conducting crusades, they killed every Muslim man, woman and child in Jerusalem. When Saladin regained Jerusalem, instead of doing this he simply evicted most of the Europeans living there.

And so I don't apply the same standards of human rights today as several thousand years ago, even though killing innocents is wrong, and war is wrong to begin with, different standards on life and death existed then, as different standards will exist 1000 years from now.

Any idea or philosophy can be interpreted differently to be positive or negative. Any religion can be interpreted likewise, whereby you can either see yourself as a “chosen one” and look down on all other religions or non-believers, such that killing them is ok, or you can see yourself as somebody who understands a positive idea, like helping those in poverty and then help those less fortunate than yourself regardless of their religious or philosophical beliefs.

An Iranian nationalist can view nationalism from the perspective of love of Iran and Iran's grand history and rich culture, or they can view nationalism from the perspective of hate of Arabs, Turks, Indians, Pakistanis, among others.

This is not Islam's fault that Khomeini took some negative and hateful views and interpretations, it's Khomeini's fault. The individual in Islam or any religion or ideology has a responsibility to think for themselves and come out with an output that marks their individualism.

Actually the Islam I'm talking about has been around for over 1000 years and is called Sufism. But I don't pretend to be a Sufi or to practice Sufism in any strict manner, and as an individual I do have my own interpretations and feel that this is only necessary as a human being. Yet Sufism has millions of followers around the world, and outside Sufism there's also a reform movement with those like Abdol Karim Soroush and others who have said that Islam needs serious reform and change, that we can't apply the rules of thousands of years ago to the present time and global culture. So I would say that there's a lot more of those like me and we're growing, but we're not as loud as the hizbollahis who go yell “marg bar!!!!” and other such nonsense.

I don't dress up anything, but interpret it according to the current settings. Maybe stoning to death was commonplace thousands of years ago, but nowadays it shouldn't exist. Maybe praying 5 times a day in Arabic made sense back then, but nowadays, praying in any language and doing it sincerely by wishing health and happiness for those you love is in line with the idea of prayer and yet a huge change as well. What I look at here is a huge, huge update. Imagine if we still had the same Apple II computers of 30 years ago in use at the biggest corporations today, with that same software and hardware that had probably less strength than our cell phones today. It would be ridiculous. So of course what I, and many others, are calling for is an update and even though this would be opposed by the orthodox believers, I feel like many more would welcome this and be a part of it as well.

Many people, including myself, don't look at Omar the same way as we look at Muhammad. I believe the manner in which he treated Persians back then was harsh and out of line. And yet, Ali was incredibly biased towards Iranians despite being 100% Arab himself. He regularly scolded the Arab scholars for not working as hard as Persians in interpretation of Islamic works, and demanded Persians be treated fairly and even-handedly. Even when he was killed, he prayed that God forgive his killer. This is another lesson in both forgiveness and love. I think there's a lot to learn from him, many after him, including great Persian poets, as well as even some mullahs today like Khatami in his call of dialogue of civilizations. However, I don't want mullahs as politicians, and even though I truly respect the works of those like Khatami on creating dialogue between different world ideologies, I am a secular nationalist on the political front.

Could you please cite the Sura of the Quran that says that Muhammad had the right to rape? And could you please back this up by interpretations, maybe including Christian missionaries and neocons, but also others who aren't biased against Islam as well, and also Muslim interpretations of the Sura. I think if you have the time to come here and post these claims you should also find the time to back them up.
As I said, it is becoming clear to me that you want to portray my comments by saying that I have hate for Islam, etc. I never used that word, and I have not taken that approach. I just don't think Mohammad was a Prophet. Is that too much for you to accept? You define people a certain way so you can attack them. You say that if I have time to post something, then I should back it up. I tell you again (and I may do this last reference for you), but go back to through this thread and see how many references I have put forth. How many have you? You write long paragraphs and shoot down your own interpretation of someone's position, but I do not see a single reference for what you say. Where do you back up your statements about Glen Beck, Darius and all others? Where do you back up your statements that Mohammad helped the humanity? Just because there are many Muslims today, it does not mean that he helped the humanity. Before Islam there were many Zorastians. I don't see you promoting them over Islam. Why not?

You say that there are extremists on both sides to show that somehow your position in the middle must be right. Appeasment is not being in the middle. The other extreme side that you are pointing to advocates killing and has killed, the point of view that I am offering does not promote those things and is very peaceful. We are trying to change people's mind by talking. Is that an extreme action to you? I have not seen Ostad Pooya advocating any physical action and I have not either. So, how are you equating our words with those killers at the other side of the spectrum. As I said if you want to ignore the truth and put up with Islam by dressing it up, that may be a pragmatic approach, but by just calling some views as extrems, it does not make it so. I can also say that there is no difference between you and the way Thinkpad thinks about Islam as you both promote the same end result, which is promoting extreme ideas of supersition, belief in jinns, etc. A reality check for you is that Mohammad himself and his ideas at the time were considered to be extreme. Obviously you think his extreme was good at the time.

Some of those guys on Satellite TV that you call extremists for talking about Islam are courageous people who put their faces and names out there. You know what extremists may do to them if they can get their hands on them. So, you should not judge them and call them extremists because they disagree with your middle ground version of Islam that is far from truth and has no basis in history, hadith and Quran.

RoozbehAzadi

National Team Player
Nov 19, 2002
As I said, it is becoming clear to me that you want to portray my comments by saying that I have hate for Islam, etc. I never used that word, and I have not taken that approach.

It's not necessary for you to use that word, but simply in terms how you describe Muhammad, similar to how Glenn Beck describes Obama, you have a very narrow focus with biased sources such as a Christian missionary site that aims to convert Muslims to Christians. And thus, even though you don't come out and say “I hate Islam and all the parts and people who have ever been a part of Islam throughout history” you don't need to say this. Instead, you insinuate that Muhammad was Hitler and thus show your true attitude in this manner, similar to how Glenn Beck doesn't have to explicitly say “I hate Obama” but it's obvious what his true feelings are simply from how he talks about Obama being fascist, communist, a new Hitler, etc..

I just don't think Mohammad was a Prophet. Is that too much for you to accept? You define people a certain way so you can attack them. You say that if I have time to post something, then I should back it up. I tell you again (and I may do this last reference for you), but go back to through this thread and see how many references I have put forth. How many have you? You write long paragraphs and shoot down your own interpretation of someone's position, but I do not see a single reference for what you say. Where do you back up your statements about Glen Beck, Darius and all others? Where do you back up your statements that Mohammad helped the humanity? Just because there are many Muslims today, it does not mean that he helped the humanity. Before Islam there were many Zorastians. I don't see you promoting them over Islam. Why not?

No, it's not too much for me to accept. But you instead skew the facts about Islam in a way similar to how Neocons in the US skewed the facts of Iraq having weapons of mass destruction. You have illogical and deceptive arguments that are biased to a certain agenda of showing Islam as being evil.

One example is how you mentioned that there's a Sura in the Quran that says that Muhammad can rape. It's obvious that this doesn't exist and if it did you would've posted it by now. I knew what you were saying didn't make sense, and that perhaps you might put something related to women in a Sura from the Quran and then have an opinion of a Neocon or Christian missionary who thinks that it means Muslims can rape women. But you either just made that up or you copied that from a site that made it up. It's dishonest and disingenuous.

If you have a specific issue such as Glenn Beck, the Persian wars or Roman wars in which innocent civilians as well as regular army soldiers were killed, or other assertions, and need some evidence, I'm happy to find it on youtube or google it and put it here to see. The only one I'm not sure on that I said is about Glenn Beck calling Obama a vampire, since I read this from somebody else here when I made a post here on “Who's worse, Glenn Beck or Shariatmadari?” and another member commented this. But I haven't seen that specific vid myself yet have seen other ones of how he calls Obama a racist or compares him to Hitler's Germany in killing the disabled and so on. Some others are from books I've read on the history of Iran, such as the story of Reza Shah going into a village in Iran and killing all those who rebelled and then piling their heads into a pyramid, 90-100 years ago when he was Army chief before he became Defense minister.

But it's completely obvious that that Sura about Muhammad having permission to rape doesn't exist and you're simply not willing to admit this.

You say that there are extremists on both sides to show that somehow your position in the middle must be right. Appeasment is not being in the middle. The other extreme side that you are pointing to advocates killing and has killed, the point of view that I am offering does not promote those things and is very peaceful. We are trying to change people's mind by talking. Is that an extreme action to you? I have not seen Ostad Pooya advocating any physical action and I have not either. So, how are you equating our words with those killers at the other side of the spectrum.

This is exactly the argument all extremists throughout history have made, probably including those in the Sepah today in Iran part of the Poop Coup Crew who believe that giving in one inch is appeasment and not extremism.

However, the difference is that those guys have power and the anti-Islam or extreme Shahollahi(not even wanting constitutional monarchy but just like it was pre-1979) don't have power. And I will take you at your word that you and Ostad Pooya would only talk, just like Glenn Beck only talks and doesn't actually try to organize a coup de ta. But unfortunately, with the history of Iran, it's difficult for me to trust those with extremist ideologies. That's exactly why I want Iran to be a full, 100% democracy with full freedom for anyone to talk and give their opinion, whether that's anti-Islam or hizbollahi, even mko. I think that if the Shah allowed for full freedom of speech and the general population could see what Khomeini was writing, there would've been a stronger possibility that after the revolution the majority of people would've preferred those like Bazargan to be leading Iran rather than Khomeini.

So, while I take you at your word that you're not advocating more than words, your words and ideology are still extreme, and that extreme ideology is something that is cured by democracy. In my opinion, it would be a shame if Iran went from a religious dictatorship to a nationalist dictatorship whereby somebody with these extreme ideas would come along and rule unpopularly, thus causing a repeat of the current state of affairs. So I have no problems with words, so long as you accept that a 100% democracy is needed and the people have the final say.

As I said if you want to ignore the truth and put up with Islam by dressing it up, that may be a pragmatic approach, but by just calling some views as extrems, it does not make it so. I can also say that there is no difference between you and the way Thinkpad thinks about Islam as you both promote the same end result, which is promoting extreme ideas of supersition, belief in jinns, etc. A reality check for you is that Mohammad himself and his ideas at the time were considered to be extreme. Obviously you think his extreme was good at the time.
It's obvious what your opinion on Islam is. Unfortunately, you have a very black and white view of the world and of ideologies. If somebody speaks positively of Muhammad or Islam, it means that they believe Aladdin the Genie will come out of a lamp and grant them three wishes. If somebody speaks negatively about Islam, even if they have a neocon agenda or are a Christian missionary, it's ok because it's the truth no matter what – EVEN if they outright lie about Suras from the Quran such as the one you alluded to about how Muhammad is given the right to rape.

And at that time, 1400 years ago, Muhammad's ideas were actually considered quite progressive, not just in the Arabian peninsula but in the region as a whole. There was a great emphasis on equality and of caring for those less fortunate than ones self, such as during Ramadan or through giving alms for the poor. And while these ideas were discussed in previous religions Islam helped to rejuvenate them and bring them back to the order of priority. However, the mistake has been to not keep updating Islam, and this is what I and many others have been talking about.

Some of those guys on Satellite TV that you call extremists for talking about Islam are courageous people who put their faces and names out there. You know what extremists may do to them if they can get their hands on them.

To be honest, those folks on Satellite TV are not a threat to Islam or even to the anti-Islamic and anti-Republic IRI. The more bad they talk about Islam the more people in Iran are turned off by them. In terms of their attitudes, they're on par with the MKO who think they're popular in Iran and a great force to be reckoned with. So I think the IRI thinks that they're a gift since they're so bad they make the ultra-hizbollahi IRIB look good. The only real opposition that's been a threat to the IRI has been the Green movement, something that developed completely within Iran. If anything, the Satellite TV guys that attack Islam are causing those on the fence in Iran who might otherwise be against the IRI to instead choose to stick with the mullahs for fear that overthrowing it would mean anti-Islam extremism. So I really don't think they're brave for playing into the hands of the mullahs in fear-mongering the population to think that any alternative to the IRI would be against Islam.

So, you should not judge them and call them extremists because they disagree with your middle ground version of Islam that is far from truth and has no basis in history, hadith and Quran.

My version of Islam is talked about extensively by Sufism which is a spiritual movement going back over 1000 years, and also recently by the reform movement of Islam with those like Dr. Soroush as their main torchbearers. And so the truth is in the interpretation of what Islam says, and whether it can or cannot be interpreted differently in a different place or time. Just because my view or that of others isn't orthodox doesn't mean that it's not true or not compatible with Islam, and in fact your argument is the same as what hizbollahis say. Both you guys have absolutist interpretations, whereby either the hizbollahi version of Islam is true or Islam is not true. For me and many other Muslims, there are various shades of grey, or as I like to say, shades of color, between black and white. :holy:

Ardesheer

Bench Warmer
Jun 30, 2005
اقا اردشير ما مشتاقانه منتظر جواب شما به تمام نكتها هستيم
Dear Thinkpad,

I left a message for you a few threads up, and you have not responded. I asked for an explicit reference that Ayesheh was 17 without derivations, calculations and equations. I have cited many references with explicit statements. Do you have any? Also, if you refute all the references that I posted regarding her age, I''l make sure that I refute your points after that.

Ardesheer

Bench Warmer
Jun 30, 2005
Dear Roozbeh,

I can als say that your method of arguing is just like fanatics that have been fed some information over time and cannot accept that they have been wrong.

No, I do not hate anyone, but I do hate certain actions of Mohammad and do not think a Messenger of God would take those actions. There are stories about his kindness to some people and other things that I do not condemn and welcome them. There are verses in Quran that are good. So, please get off your high horse and let's have an intelligent discussion. Don't go off comparing people to others, and stick to the substance.

The main issue you have is that you want to justify wrong and inhumane actions of people. This is what they call apalogists. What do Cyrus, Glen Beck and Obama have anything to do with this. I gave you the example of Hitler because he caused killing of many people. The history shows that Mohammad caused the killing of many people too. Let's says Cyrus did too. I would condemn him as well if he did and I don't let my pride stand in my way.

I know you have your version of Islam. My understanding is that Muslims believe Quran is not MOhammad's words but the words of Allah. Therefore, the part that says cut opposite arm and leg is not words of Mohammad being limited to his time. It's Allah speaking. Allah says that if they attack you, not just kill them, but kill them in a cruel and disgusting way. Do you see the difference between this and what other leaders did in the past? Those leaders who killed did not kill in the name of God, and did not say that God has said to cut arms and legs.

I have to say it seems that you have the hate for people on Satellite TV that do not see the world that you do. They are not any part of these discussions so I don't know why you keep going back to them and Glen Beck.

Someone asked about other Prophets. I do not believe that God would speak to others through a person or a fairy. If you read what they said about creation, that's enough to know that they were not from God, each of them that has a book.

Regarding God, unfortunately the society shuts everyone off right away by kids accepting their parents religion, and not many theories and ideas are offered compared to other fields of research. I think everyone hopes there is a God and thus after life. However, nobody has proven existence or non-existence of God, and God has been accepted by people through sword and fear (passed through generations). There are some basic issues, like why can't there be more than one God? Why couldn't be that God (or Gods) started the creation and they do not exist any more? Therefore, even assuming God(s) created life, these so-called Prophets did not asnwer some basic questions. Like pillar of Islam is that there is only one Allah and no other. You go to hell if you disagree. Why is that important to God? Anyway, the short of it is, I hope there is a God, I don't know the answer, and these so-called Prophets have not introducted God to us.

Aug 26, 2009
Dear Thinkpad,

I left a message for you a few threads up, and you have not responded. I asked for an explicit reference that Ayesheh was 17 without derivations, calculations and equations. I have cited many references with explicit statements. Do you have any? Also, if you refute all the references that I posted regarding her age, I''l make sure that I refute your points after that.
no my dear friend. You posted a link that did not answer my points. I actually took the time to read what you posted and it only half-heartdly answered HALF my points. Looking forward to a point by point response. I provided the text in red where I would like your answers.

We brought up the points first which you need to respond too. please do so.

Regards,

RoozbehAzadi

National Team Player
Nov 19, 2002
Dear Roozbeh,

I can als say that your method of arguing is just like fanatics that have been fed some information over time and cannot accept that they have been wrong.

Ardesheer-jaan,

I have been fed nothing but looked at and interpreted Islam and religion in my own way as well as reading differrent works such as a little of Sufism and also what Dr.Soroush wrote. I believe you're being hypocritical, since you're the one who keeps bringing about false comparisons to Hitler, or saying that the Quran says Muhmmad is allowed to rape, or other such lies, and then when I or ThinkPad bring about solid arguments you instead just copy and paste a link to a neocon or Christian missionary site that has a specific agenda.

No, I do not hate anyone, but I do hate certain actions of Mohammad and do not think a Messenger of God would take those actions. There are stories about his kindness to some people and other things that I do not condemn and welcome them. There are verses in Quran that are good. So, please get off your high horse and let's have an intelligent discussion. Don't go off comparing people to others, and stick to the substance.

I don't see myself on a “high horse” as you say, but your extremism is similar to hizbollahi extremism, or Glenn Beck extremism. And I do accept that Muhammad and many other leaders, religious or otherwise, have made mistakes throughout history. I'm not one of those who looks at him as being an Angel, but rather a human who achieved a high level of spirituality in his life and shared what he learned with others. Now I accept you don't like certain actions of Muhammad or other leaders of Islam from that era, but it seems as if your disgust towards the IRI has now resulted in you having a certain anti-Islam agenda, similar to that Somalian lady who now works at a Neocon think tank and claims that Islam condones female circumcission and mutilation when in fact this is simply a cultural aspect of certain African countries like Somalia, Sudan, and parts of Egypt. Instead of viewing the whole in an intelligent fashion, you're just like the blind man in the fable of the blind man and the elephant, who touches only parts of the Elephant and thinks they're all different animals(like the trunk being a snake). So you end up seeing the elephant as a snake because you refuse to look at the whole and only focus on Islam as its interpreted by the Taliban, hizbollahis, and the mullahs. This is disingenuous.

The main issue you have is that you want to justify wrong and inhumane actions of people. This is what they call apalogists. What do Cyrus, Glen Beck and Obama have anything to do with this. I gave you the example of Hitler because he caused killing of many people. The history shows that Mohammad caused the killing of many people too. Let's says Cyrus did too. I would condemn him as well if he did and I don't let my pride stand in my way.

Well, it's a fact of history, that Cyrus, Darius, the Roman Kings, Alexander, and various others including Columbus, the Spanish and Portuguese explorers of the new world, and on and on throughout history up until World War II and even some cases afterwards, have all invaded other lands and expanded their territory. The Persian Empire didn't become so big without invasion and conquest of other peoples and land, and in those time, these campaigns weren't conducted with the same human rights standards we hold today. Thus, since you see everything as black and white, all of those Kings and leaders throughout history are exactly the same as Hitler and no different whatsoever.

However, my opinion on this is that that's not the case, and that Hitler stands out for genocide, as do the Ottomon Turks at the beginning of the 20th Century with regard to what they did to the Armenians, as does Genghis Khan with what he did to Iranians, as does the Iranian King of the Safavid or Qajar era who invaded India and massacred Indians, as do some others who instead of just waging war ended up trying to punish the conquered or a minority by massacring them. I don't view all leaders throughout history who have waged wars of expansion as being equal to Hitler or Genghis Khan.

I know you have your version of Islam. My understanding is that Muslims believe Quran is not MOhammad's words but the words of Allah. Therefore, the part that says cut opposite arm and leg is not words of Mohammad being limited to his time. It's Allah speaking. Allah says that if they attack you, not just kill them, but kill them in a cruel and disgusting way. Do you see the difference between this and what other leaders did in the past? Those leaders who killed did not kill in the name of God, and did not say that God has said to cut arms and legs.

Unfortunately, your understanding is the same as the hizbollahi or Taliban understanding that says we must still cut off heads or stone people to death because they did so thousands of years ago. I understand this differently, like Dr.Soroush, who says that change is necessary and what was the standard not just among Muslims but throughout the world, as evidence by the Romans and their punishments as well, or the Aztecs, or many many other cultures, doesn't apply today. And thus, unlike hizbollahis, my interpretation of Islam is that punishments should be adapted to the time and age of the current culture, rather than being stuck in thousands of years ago. And just like Dr.Soroush, I believe that the Quran can even be changed, and revised. It can be updated, as I'v already said, with regard to how Microsoft or Linux constantly update their software. Absolutism is dangerous, and isn't what defines any great religion or should define any ideology. God's words are not meant to be applied from thousands of years ago the same today, just like your parents words to remember to double knot your shoelaces with the bunny ear method when you were 6 years old don't apply when you're 18 and in college. And yet, you still tie your shoes, perhaps in your own way. Thus, the jest of the message remains.

I have to say it seems that you have the hate for people on Satellite TV that do not see the world that you do. They are not any part of these discussions so I don't know why you keep going back to them and Glen Beck.

I don't hate the people on satellite tv in LA but consider them clowns. Do you hate clowns? Of course not, but I've come to understand how the IRI was able to get to this savage form of dictatorship when the opposition was as ridiculous as the LA satellite tv guys. And when I mention Glenn Beck it's because the way you describe Muhammad and his life is similar to how Glenn Beck describes Obama as hating white people and wanting to create death panels with the public option for health care. It's just as dubious and focused on fear-mongering and deception. Obama's public health care option isn't going to have death panels that decide to kill grandma, and Muhammad wasn't a rapist and killer akin to Hitler as you put it. Now you can argue that he was, just like Glenn Beck will argue that Obama hates white people when in fact his own mother was white, but it's just as ludicrous nonetheless.

Someone asked about other Prophets. I do not believe that God would speak to others through a person or a fairy. If you read what they said about creation, that's enough to know that they were not from God, each of them that has a book.

That's your belief and I respect it, however my belief is that God speaks to each person as they can understand. Sometimes that's through an angel as was the case with the prophets, sometimes it may be through a dream, sometimes it could be a vision, or sometimes it could simply be in music or art. It depends on the person and how they would be able to understand what God says and isn't universal with everybody being exactly the same in this regard.

Regarding God, unfortunately the society shuts everyone off right away by kids accepting their parents religion, and not many theories and ideas are offered compared to other fields of research. I think everyone hopes there is a God and thus after life. However, nobody has proven existence or non-existence of God, and God has been accepted by people through sword and fear (passed through generations). There are some basic issues, like why can't there be more than one God? Why couldn't be that God (or Gods) started the creation and they do not exist any more? Therefore, even assuming God(s) created life, these so-called Prophets did not asnwer some basic questions. Like pillar of Islam is that there is only one Allah and no other. You go to hell if you disagree. Why is that important to God? Anyway, the short of it is, I hope there is a God, I don't know the answer, and these so-called Prophets have not introducted God to us.

That's why it's called Faith, since there isn't that 100% beyond a shadow of a doubt proof that God exists in such a scientific proof based manner(unless you count Rene Descartes' proof) or of God coming down from the clouds for lunch at work with us tomorrow. But sometimes you have to have faith in yourself and your abilities, such that you work hard to get a certain result at the end. Sometimes somebody starting a new business has to have faith that it will bloom and succeed. And thus I see faith as necessary in this regard as well. I don't see God as an element of having to be fearful and be on red alert that we're going to be punished. The way Islam, and other religions back then, especially the Abrahamic religions, came to be so structured, it made sense in that day and age because people back then had a much more primitive view in regard to worshipping many idols and looking at the superstitious aspects of punishment and reward, the “cheshm zadan” being an example among Iranians, knocking on wood, so on. But in that day and age, in that cultural context, the concept of there only being one God and that if you do good, you go to heaven, and if you do bad, you go to hell, was progressive.

Nowadays it's very different and we've come a long way. One of the main concepts of Sufism is that God is love and that, as I believe Hafez puts it, we are each a God, such that our souls are each a drop in the ocean called God.

In this philosophical and religious context the teaching is that each person in this world must find their own path in life, that it must be something they love and that that love, on that path, is in fact in the same path towards God, since it satisfies your soul.

I personally, from my limited understanding of these spiritual issues, don't believe in heaven or hell but believe there is something afterwards. Perhaps it could be reincarnation, or perhaps it could be a higher level of consciousness. I don't know. But I truly believe everyone has a soul and has to pursue what they love in life, whether it be music, astronomy, art, soccer, economics, or so on, and give their love and devotion to what they love if they are to achieve some peace and harmony for themselves in this life. If they do that, they naturally become closer to God.

Ardesheer

Bench Warmer
Jun 30, 2005
You call people extremists just because they disagree with you. You don't have a better answer than saying 1400 years it was OK to kill over religion, and even in a crule way.

Someone said 1400 years that he was a Prophet (by the way not all who claimed to be a Prophet spoke through a fairy with God). He made the claim and then you guys continue to make that claim. There are about 1.5 billion Muslims (though many of them cannot even read and write) that accepted Mohammad as a Prophet, but a larger number today do not recognize him as a Prophet. Therefore, the numbers do not matter.

You are making an extreme claim that Mohammad had contact with God. I am simply saying that I do not believe that, based on some facts in Muslim history books and Quran (and not from Christian, neocons, etc.) Just because many people have come to accept an extreme idea upon birth, it does not mean that those who do not accept it are extremists. It's the reverse. You are the extremist for trying to explain the universeand creation in a certain way without any proof, and not those who question the verasity of your claims. If I claimed to be a Prophet, that would be an extreme position to take. All I am saying is that I do not accept your Prophet. That should be considered the norm. If you have an outrageous claim that someone is or was a Prophet, prove it.

As for God, again, we all should have a ver open mind. You say nobody can prove 100% and beyound doubt, etc. I say that we are far from 100% or beyond doubt such that you can take a leap of faith for that 0.0001%. You act as if it has been scientifically shown almost 100%. That's not the case.

What also said that you been fed information since you were a kid, and now you are afraid to think completely outside of that box (whatever the source of that fear is), you say that you have studied, and Soroush this and that. What I really wonder is if you would have the same view of Islam if you were born in Sweden and raised in a different family. You opened your eyes as a Muslim and you studied to came to the same conclusion that it is the best.

Also, I do not believe that Thinkpad and majority of Muslims agree with you that Quran can be revised over time. Also, Quran says that there are Jinns (and Mohammad had said many other things about Jinns). How do you revise things like that? Back then there were Jinns and now there aren't? Again, Quran is wors of God, and not Mohammad. Didn't God know that there are no Jinns. Oh, I forgot, you have to have faith to believe in Jinns. There is no evidence, but Quran says, so it must be true, because you believe. Crying outloud at this intelligent and progressive humanity. Just when people use a belief system instead of their brains, you can make them believe anything that the system includes. Unless you come up with your own version that ignores the bad and keeps the good. Then I tell you that you are not a Muslim as 99% of the Muslims define Islam.

RoozbehAzadi

National Team Player
Nov 19, 2002
You call people extremists just because they disagree with you.

This isn't true. I don't call hizbollahis extremist because they simply disagree with me, I call them extremist because their ideas are on the extreme radical end of the spectrum, such that they believe that their version of Islam allows them to have a theocratic dictatorship and can be legitimized to torture, rape, and kill prisoners. They're not extremists because they disagree with me, they're extremist because of their ideas.

Similarly, the Anti-Islamists are extremists as well. They haven Glenn Beck-like arguments to try to prove that Islam is an evil religion that's only based on killing and raping and such and that it can't be changed or reformed whatsoever. They try to show that Islam=IRI or Islam=Taliban and that's all that it is, forgetting that Islam=Rumi or Islam=Ibn Sina or Islam=Muhammad Ali the boxer or Islam=Hafez. They believe that Islam now MUST equal to Islam 1000 years ago, similar to what hizbollahis and talibans think as well.

Neocons also are extremists, but not because I disagree with them. Even many Republicans have disassociated themselves from the neocons because of their extreme and radical points of view.

You don't have a better answer than saying 1400 years it was OK to kill over religion, and even in a crule way.

No, that's not what I said, in fact I said that it's wrong to have killed or stoned or cut off limbs or such now or back then. But what I said is that that was the culture and manner of thinking back then, such that killing gays was acceptable just because they were gay, and stoning and killing rapists and such was part and parcel of what existed back then.

Similarly, today, in my opinion, the death penalty is wrong, as is the prison system here in America. Yet imagine if somebody with the same inflexible attitudes of those who claim Muhammad is the same as Hitler in 1000 years said the President Obama is the same as Saddam because he supported the death penalty and allowed for prisoners in US prisons to be raped, thus, making him a killer and rapist. That's basically the mentality you're conveying.

Someone said 1400 years that he was a Prophet (by the way not all who claimed to be a Prophet spoke through a fairy with God). He made the claim and then you guys continue to make that claim. There are about 1.5 billion Muslims (though many of them cannot even read and write) that accepted Mohammad as a Prophet, but a larger number today do not recognize him as a Prophet. Therefore, the numbers do not matter.

Well, the ideas he propogated back then were seen as progressive in the region which had a malaise of corruption, not just in the Arabian peninsula but in the Persian Empire as well. I don't believe Persians of the time were forced to accept Islam and wouldn't have been able to put it aside the same way in which after several centuries they put speaking Arabic aside and went back to speaking Persian. So the Islamic movement was able to persuade many to accept the religion back then. And today, I think that a better measurement isn't with regard to sheer numbers but in percentages, such that 1.5 out of 6-7 billion isn't so bad, and though I don't have the exact statistics of 1500 years ago, could even be better than the “Golden” age of Islam when it was at the height of its empire.

Besides, I don't think this is a competition as to who has more followers, but that religion and spirituality is simply a way forward for people to find themselves. Being Muslim, for me, doesn't mean I reject the teachings or paths of other religions or that I couldn't find my own ways outside of Islamic teachings. In fact, I think an updated Islam should accept other paths as being no less righteous than Islam.

You are making an extreme claim that Mohammad had contact with God. I am simply saying that I do not believe that, based on some facts in Muslim history books and Quran (and not from Christian, neocons, etc.) Just because many people have come to accept an extreme idea upon birth, it does not mean that those who do not accept it are extremists. It's the reverse. You are the extremist for trying to explain the universeand creation in a certain way without any proof, and not those who question the verasity of your claims. If I claimed to be a Prophet, that would be an extreme position to take. All I am saying is that I do not accept your Prophet. That should be considered the norm. If you have an outrageous claim that someone is or was a Prophet, prove it.
Yes, I believe that Muhammad was able to get revelations from God, yet I can't comprehend how this was done. Similarly, I believe various figures throughout history, including Zoroaster, the Persian poet Rumi among many other Persian poets and mystics, as well as Buddha, or even the Native America tribes during their meditations have a manner of speaking and listening to God, although it's not like you and me responding to one another's posts.

Religion or faith isn't something to prove unless somebody has reached that point of attainment themeselves, and even then he or she can't prove their understanding to others.

I have nothing against you claiming to be a prophet or not to be a prophet, in fact I say it's possible for you to be such if you truly want to be. I might not accept your claim, and then, on the other hand, I might accept you as well. It depends on what and how you teach.

As for you not accepting Muhammad as being a prophet, I have no problem with that. It was never about whether you accept or reject Muhammad, God, or religion, but about the extremist and biased manner in which you tried to show an elephant as being a snake. It's not extremist to say that you don't accept a religion or faith. One of my favorite shows is Real Time with Bill Maher on HBO, and he's extremely explicit about not believing in God. Yet I still love his political and social commentary and would love to attend his show one day. But disagreeing doesn't mean extremism, yet the manner in which you and Ostad Pooya had a hizbollahi-like black/white portrayel of Islam and Muhammad wasn't and isn't just saying you don't accept Islam or Muhammad but instead is a manner of trying to show that Khomeini=Muhammad=Islam=Evil, similar to how I already said the Somalian lady at the Neocon think tank has been trying to show that Female Circumcission = Islam = Evil. This is simply not true.

As for God, again, we all should have a ver open mind. You say nobody can prove 100% and beyound doubt, etc. I say that we are far from 100% or beyond doubt such that you can take a leap of faith for that 0.0001%. You act as if it has been scientifically shown almost 100%. That's not the case.
We also have maybe 0.0001% evidence that aliens exist, and yet many people, including myself, believe they do.

We also have the same degree of understanding about new technologies, like light travel, with some saying it's impossible and can't ever happen, while others say it does exist but we haven't reached that point yet.

I don't believe we've reached the point, and maybe won't, for thousands of years, whereby we can prove the existence of the soul and what this means. And even though I don't pretend that this idea of a soul existing, that will last beyond the physical body, is seemingly ridiculous based on what we currently know from science, at the same time, if we took the current technologies and scientific understandings we have to 10,000 years ago, they wouldn't understand a thing and would only believe it to be magic and superstitions. Thus, I don't base my belief and faith only on Muhammad, Zoroaster, Cyrus the Great who was Zoroastrian or Jesus, but also on the teachings of Buddha, the Native Americans in North and South America along with their spiritual beliefs and their medicine men, and last but not least on Rumi, Hafez, Khayyam, Ferdowsi, and other great Persian poets over the years, many of whom have been Sufis and talk about their experiences and their understanding of faith and God through their poems.

What also said that you been fed information since you were a kid, and now you are afraid to think completely outside of that box (whatever the source of that fear is), you say that you have studied, and Soroush this and that. What I really wonder is if you would have the same view of Islam if you were born in Sweden and raised in a different family. You opened your eyes as a Muslim and you studied to came to the same conclusion that it is the best.

That's definitely not true, and you're assuming a lot about me you don't know. I grew up in the United States from the time I was a baby, and my parents never forced me to learn Islam but answered my questions regarding religion as I grew up. My parents weren't hizbollahi or strict followers in any sense, and we didn't even go to the mosque in the city where we lived. They've even drank and had many non-Muslim friends and colleagues, and talked highly of other religions, plus gave me an open-minded environment in which I could explore these issues for myself.

In fact, I think it is you who refuses to think outside of the box, since all you see is hizbollahi Islam or no Islam. You don't see the many shades of color besides black or white, and you refuse to acknowledge that the unknown may not be scientifically proven yet be worth examining.

I think you should read some of the Persian poets and see what they're saying, which is so full of love and not the hate which you and hizbollahis believe Islam to be about. Of course, your view is that Islam is based on cutting off limbs and raping and Khomeini, thus it's evil, so you refuse to see the parts that Rumi saw. Hizbollahis view or Taliban's view is that Islam is about righteousness, the exact word of the Quran, and living just like millenium ago. In between these two, a whole world of possibility exists that you refuse to acknowledge.

Also, I do not believe that Thinkpad and majority of Muslims agree with you that Quran can be revised over time.

I know that Thinkpad, in his replies to my posts, agrees with the base of what I say and also doesn't accept hizbollahi views, yet he might read the Quran more literally than me. As for majority of Muslims, well, as they say, you don't build Rome in one day. It will take maybe 100 years for these ideas to be accepted by the majority, but I'd estimate most young people in Iran who aren't hizbollahi accept some variety of this, and that these ideas are only spreading more and will end up becoming a majority view, similar to how during the Reformation during Christianity the ideas may have been heretical at first but are now accepted widely and even forced Catholicism to change and be modernized. With Islam I feel, and this is just my feeling, that Muslims outside of the Arab countries will accept this view sooner and more readily, but then eventually those in Arab countries, beginning with the more progressive cultures like Jordan and Lebanon but then even spreading into Saudi Arabia and the Persian Gulf Arab states will accept this.

Schopenhauer described a new movement in such a manner:

1. first it is ridiculed
  2. then it's strongly fought
  3. finally it's accepted as self-evident

Right now I think reformation of Islam is somewhere between steps 1 and 2, and step 3 will probably be reached by 50-100 years from now. Something that helps this is Sufi Islam which has always been more progressive and adapting to changing times and settings than mainstream Islam, since it will show a way that's positive and has been around for hundreds of years, thus historically valid as well.

Also, Quran says that there are Jinns (and Mohammad had said many other things about Jinns). How do you revise things like that? Back then there were Jinns and now there aren't? Again, Quran is wors of God, and not Mohammad. Didn't God know that there are no Jinns. Oh, I forgot, you have to have faith to believe in Jinns. There is no evidence, but Quran says, so it must be true, because you believe.

The Jinns as you describe them aren't necessarily the superstitious beliefs that our great-grandmothers had such that they thought that others “cheshm zadan” or such, but in my view, they're about energy, or karma. Have you ever heard the saying “what goes around comes around” ? This is my view on jins, that is you show positive intentions and positive energy to others, that same energy may help you find a new solution to a personal problem in your own life, or it can open up opportunities because others may become more open to you as a result of this attitude. It's the energy, the intention within. But at the same time if you show a negative intention or have negative energy towards others, such that you simply wish for their failure, this could end up harming your own life and create problems for ones self later one by closing opportunities and potential relationships.

Have you ever loved a woman, and she could just feel your love for her without you having to say “i love you” ? This energy that's between lovers, the opposite of this can also be among enemies. Some call this “jin” others call it energy and some say it's just intuition. Personally I believe all three could be true, but this energy between lovers and haters does exist and is felt without having to touch or say it necessarily. In fact, animals, like pets, can sense this even better than people sometimes.

Crying outloud at this intelligent and progressive humanity. Just when people use a belief system instead of their brains, you can make them believe anything that the system includes. Unless you come up with your own version that ignores the bad and keeps the good. Then I tell you that you are not a Muslim as 99% of the Muslims define Islam.

Martin Luther wasn't a Christian either, yet now Lutherans are a huge denomination of Christianity. And I'm not sure where you get your 99% from, personally I'd say maybe 75-80% of Muslims may be against my or Soroush's ideas to be more exact. When you talk to Malaysian or Indonesian Muslims, many are more open to these ideas than Saudi Arabians, for example. When you talk to Iranians from big cities in Iran, more are open to these ideas than those from Qom and small towns. And I never said “ignore the bad” rather that Islam needs to update and change to put aside the negatives that have held it back. Like I said, Islam today is like using an abacus to surf the internet. It needs to be overhauled and changed but will take decades to be done.

Nonetheless, I'm proud as an Iranian that Persians, whether as Sufis or now with Dr.Soroush, are leading the way in this. It's speaks very highly of Iranians.

Ardesheer

Bench Warmer
Jun 30, 2005
Roozbeh,

Thanks for the explanation. Since you grew up in the U.S. and chose the path you have chosen with an open mind and without any influence by your parents and the socieity, I am interetsed to know why you chose Mohammad over Jesus.

Also, there are many versese in Quran like turning bad Jews and Christians into apes, etc. For the life of me I just cannot see how someone can explain these things with a straight face without having doubts about accuracy of Quran. Do you just go based on faith? You are basically coming up with a religion of your own. Why use Islam as the basis when it has so many issues that you need to explain away? Why do you insist to cling to a religion, when you (any person) can be a good and productive person in the society without believing any mumbojumbo? Aren't all the "good" teachings that you relate to Mohammad common sense? Why do you need someone to teach you when you know what's wrong and what' right? It's my assumption that you do not do the five times prayer, do not pay zakat, don't fast, etc. (or you do?) If you don't then you are taking the good things that are common sense and rejecting the rest. Again, I don't think of you as a Muslim.

Do you believe that Mohammad has killed people who did not attack him or advocated killing of those who did not attack him? Based on my reading, he has. I, for one, cannot follow or think highly of someone who has caused physical pain on another human being unless in self defense, no matter when the act was done. We may disagree that Mohammad has killed people who did not attack him or advocated killing of those who did not attack him. If that's the case, then we have a factual disagreement. Otherwise, we are different in morality, and you may call me an extreme because I cannot respect someone who has caused killing of others who did not attack him physically.

Aug 15, 2009

I know that Thinkpad, in his replies to my posts, agrees with the base of what I say and also doesn't accept hizbollahi views, yet he might read the Quran more literally than me. As for majority of Muslims, well, as they say, you don't build Rome in one day. It will take maybe 100 years for these ideas to be accepted by the majority, but I'd estimate most young people in Iran who aren't hizbollahi accept some variety of this, and that these ideas are only spreading more and will end up becoming a majority view, similar to how during the Reformation during Christianity the ideas may have been heretical at first but are now accepted widely and even forced Catholicism to change and be modernized. With Islam I feel, and this is just my feeling, that Muslims outside of the Arab countries will accept this view sooner and more readily, but then eventually those in Arab countries, beginning with the more progressive cultures like Jordan and Lebanon but then even spreading into Saudi Arabia and the Persian Gulf Arab states will accept this.

Doste Aziz, I suggest that you do some reading about Iran and Islam's history before comming here and suggesting something like that :)

What you are suggesting, was suggested and a group tried to impelemnt over 150 years ago in Iran, Do you know who there were ??? Babi and so called Bahai !!!! :) :)

If you read the history, you see how our brave people reacted to that naive ideaology :) Islam is much bigger than you think my friend and has survived many of these attemps to change and get modified :)

Meehandoost

Bench Warmer
Sep 4, 2005
Dear Meehandoost, by 'end' as in Ardesheer's post, I think he meant 'forever'. About my contention that no such requirement exist in Quran, I don't recall any verse to the contrary. Do you know any such reference?
deerouz jaan, as mentioned before followers of all past religions have made similar claims based on some verses from their holy books. As for references from the Quran, there are many places where it is clearly stated to expect the coming of future messengers who will bring new books and new revelations:

17-77: (This was Our) way with the Messengers We sent before thee: thou wilt find no change in Our ways. (Yusuf Ali tr)

7-34: To every people is a term appointed: when their term is reached, not an hour can they cause delay, nor (an hour) can they advance (it in anticipation). (Yusuf Ali tr)

7-35: O ye children of Adam! whenever there come to you Messengers from amongst you, rehearsing my signs unto you, those who are righteous and mend (their lives), on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.
7-36: But those who reject our signs and treat them with arrogance, they are companions of the fire, to dwell therein (for ever). (Yusuf Ali tr)

32-5: He rules (all) affairs from the heavens to the earth: in the end will (all affairs) go up to Him, on a Day, the space whereof will be (as) a thousand years of your reckoning. (Yusuf Ali tr)

13-38: We did send Messengers before thee, and appointed for them wives and children: and it was never the part of a Messenger to bring a Sign except as Allah permitted (or commanded). For each period is a Book (revealed).
13-39: Allah doth blot out or confirm what He pleaseth: with Him is the Mother of the Book. (Yusuf Ali tr)

31-27: And if all the trees on earth were pens and the Ocean (were ink), with seven Oceans behind it to add to its (supply), yet would not the Words of Allah be exhausted (in the writing): for Allah is Exalted in power, Full of Wisdom. (Yusuf Ali tr)

These and many other passages from the Quran clearly speak of the continuity of God's creative Word which has no beginning and no end; therefore no religion is the last.