Adopting our immigrant reality similar to Jewish communities: change our names?

Should we change our names to reflect the majority culture of countries we live in?

• Yes, it will bring you more business and acceptance in new host country

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Yes, but it won't do anything for you

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, better to have a name recognized by other Iranians; most business will be with other Iranians

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

Lover

Bench Warmer
Apr 11, 2008
Toronto
I was reading the history of this successful shortie, Natalie Portman. Her parents changed their name from Stelhause or something like that to "Stevens." Here's the thing, we have moved to new countries...I'm not planning to move back to Iran anytime soon as long as there are so many religious people there believe in false hope of the next life and etc. Isn't it time for us to learn from the most successful immigrant community in North America and change our names to a) reduce racism: i) fit in ii) get more business b) obviously it works for some communities c) able to move on and make a true home out of where we are instead of always thinking about a country whose backward culture rejected us.

As a student in a professional school, I think this would bring me more business, the biggest downside would be the reduction of recognition by anonymous Iranians that I would otherwise have if I was to advertise in community newspapers and honestly I love working with Iranian community outside of Iran. So hence the dilemma. I'd appreciate any suggestions and thoughts.

Oct 18, 2002
When I had just come to Canada I thought it was ridiculous that Iranians would choose an English name: Mahmoud became Mike and Peyman became Peter etc. However my view changed over time. A name is not something important or what defines you. There is nothing wrong with changing or anglicizing your name specially if it is hard to pronounce. Changing names doesn't change your roots or who you are. It just makes your name easier to remember and pronounce.

Behrang(ISP)

King of Posts
Oct 16, 2002
www.iransportspress.com
This is a very interesting thread. My personal opinion is that the name you have is the name given to you by your parents so it’s something that should not be changed. I can understand wanting to change your name because of the “stigma” of being foreign but the United States is a country of foreigners. You are who you are and your name is part of that. The Jewish community has done well in the United States not because some of them changed their names when they came here but because they are a very tight knit community and work together to move forward their agenda’s. Changing your name does not change the color of your eyes, hair or skin.

I met a kid the other week that introduced himself as Jason. I looked at him like he was crazy after telling him my name was Behrang and he asked me why I was looking at him that way. I said, no offence but you look nothing like a Jason. Long story short he was Iranian and his name was Jahan. I asked him why he changed his name and he said to fit in because it’s hard being Iranian and you get a negative feeling when you tell people your Iranian. I asked him if he feels like he fits in now and he said no. If you want people to look at you different then carry yourself differently. Make a positive impact with every single person you meet. I try my best to be as professional as possible and put forth the best I can when I meet anyone because little by little we can change people’s ideals about us (us as in Iranians).

Just my two cents

Behrang(ISP)

King of Posts
Oct 16, 2002
www.iransportspress.com
When I had just come to Canada I thought it was ridiculous that Iranians would choose an English name: Mahmoud became Mike and Peyman became Peter etc. However my view changed over time. A name is not something important or what defines you. There is nothing wrong with changing or anglicizing your name specially if it is hard to pronounce. Changing names doesn't change your roots or who you are. It just makes your name easier to remember and pronounce.
Why not teach people how to pronouce your name properly when you meet them the first time? Find something that would help them out. Behrang is kinda like boomerang take the boom out and put in the beh and you get behrang...

Oct 18, 2002
Well let's hear it: I am challenging everyone to give me a very good reason why one should never change his name.

This is a very interesting thread. My personal opinion is that the name you have is the name given to you by your parents so it’s something that should not be changed.
Why? Is there any logical reason for this?

Changing your name does not change the color of your eyes, hair or skin.
Another reason that a name is just a name, and it is not something that defines you. So you can change it any time, right?

Why not teach people how to pronouce your name properly when you meet them the first time? Find something that would help them out. Behrang is kinda like boomerang take the boom out and put in the beh and you get behrang...
Why should I? Any particular benefit for taking this unnecessary trouble?

I said, no offence but you look nothing like a Jason.
Now THAT's racist. :D A "Jason" as you put it, is defined by the culture one grows up in and not the color of his skin or his looks. A name doesn't define culture. and if he plans to live his life in the America, why there should be any shame in calling himself Jason instead of Jahan?

Last edited:

R.BAGGIO

National Team Player
Oct 19, 2002
Toronto
I don't know, I would not change my name. Your name is what your parents and friends called you when you were a child and you grow up with. I would understand if somebody has a very difficult name to pronounce but for me your name holds too much value and memories attached with it to just change it just because you think you will fit in easier.

About fitting in and being successful I really don't think it makes much difference to be honest. I knew a guy in school whose name was Jihad but he had a great sense of humor and fit in perfectly with everyone.

Oct 20, 2003
About fitting in and being successful I really don't think it makes much difference to be honest. I knew a guy in school whose name was Jihad but he had a great sense of humor and fit in perfectly with everyone.
LOOOL, Jihad; What a name, poor guy. Esme familiesh hatman Akbar boode.
I would change my name only if it was Khosrow :).

spinhead

Elite Member
Oct 24, 2002
United States of Amnesia
Here is a joke I just posted in the Jokes thread, but is relevant here.

A man walks in to birth registry department ("edareh sabt ahval") in Iran and asks if he could change his name. The clerk says NO, it's impossible. The guys says but if you hear my name you will let me change it. The clerk says NO, I don't care what your name is, you can't change it. The guy says, PLEASE, just hear my name and then if you still won't let me change it I will go aways. The clerk says, OK, what' your name? The guy replies: "Ruhallah GOHchehreh". The clerk raises an eyebrow and says, OK ..., yes, it's pretty bad, I will let you change it. What do you want your new name to be? The guy replies: "Manuchehr GOHchehreh"!

Feb 4, 2005
I did it once and I'll never do it again. When I realized they had difficulty pronouncing my name (Nader) I changed it to Mostaghbel-ol-mamalek but they still couldn't pronounce it so I got back to original Nader. I agree with deerouz that there's nothing wrong with it specially if it is a difficlut name or it is pronounced funny (e.g. khosro becomes Kosro) but I personally wouldn't do it.

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
There are so many Iranian Mikes out here that it is ridiculous. Every freaking Mohammad and Mahmoud and Mehdi and .....................has become Mike. There are also alot of Freds (Farhad, Farid, Farshid, Farzad) too. A friend of mine who lives in New York was telling me that the Iranians there keep their names.

Oct 18, 2002
The moment you lose your heritage to fit it, is the moment you lose who you are. The issue with racism is not with name but with perception. It is much better to educate people to understand who you are, rather than have a name like Steve and have people mock you and say 'no really, what is your name' BTW, your poll needs an absolute NO option without compromise to be a more fair one.

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
This is a personal decision. If you have lost your connection to Iran and don't care anymore why burden yourself? Go for it. I find it interesting that the same people who leave their loved ones all behind and step on everything and everybody to get out all of a sudden discover their inner-self and insist on keeping their names.

Oct 18, 2002
Sydney, Australia
As someone with a very difficult to pronounce first name, I can sympathise with those that want to change their names for whatever reason, be it to fit in, for business, for school for whatever. Having lived in Australia for 23 years I've yet to meet someone who can get "Pezhman" right the first time (except Iranians). Even those that get past the "zh" obstacle, struggle with the second sylabol. Instead of "maan" it becomes more like "men". I even have adapted to call myself "Pejmen" when I'm talking English.

Similar to a Robert calling themselves Rob I have shortened my to just Pezh. All its done is just made it look less daunting. Still no one can say it right first time. Its even more comical in written format. I get "Pez" quite a lot. Somehow some people even put the "h" after the "p" and it becomes "Phez". "Pesh" is another common variation that people come up with. I guess in schools in anglo countries they don't spend a lot of time teaching people composite sounds. "zh" is a very difficult one for people whereas "sh" is almost a no brainer!

When I'm talking on the phone to someone "Pezh" is actually sometimes more confusing than if I was to use "Pezhman". Pezh sounds like so many other names to so many people. Pete, Paige, Pearce, Des, Benj etc etc.

I've gotten very accustomed to people stumbling over my name, and even their reactions to the first time hearing it. The funny thing is that I actually think my name allows me to fit in better than if it was "Paul" or Mike or whatever.... Australia is a big melting pot of many cultures. Most trying to assimilate and fit in. I think sometimes by standing out, one can fit in a lot better. I think the uniqueness of my name and the fact that it is such a conversation starter certainly allows me to stand out. Once you get over the unusual name and have had a 5 minute conversation with someone about it and they realise even though your name is different you still talk like they do and walk like they do its very easy to fit in.

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
Aw thanks for sharing ur story Pezhman jan!did I pronounce it right?!:)

I always liked to keep my name as it is, but decided to use an easy nickname, when back in highschool here my Phys Ed teacher pronounced my name as "NiFoular" instead of Niloufar!!lool it was so irritating although I was politely correcting her, that decided to give them another name to call me. but only use it at workplace.

They have actually done studies that even for resume-checking, lots of employers still tend to prefer applicants with easier names than the ones they can guess their nationalities from their resume.

But its amusing(and annoying) to 30 the new trend among Iranians here that all their customs, lang spoken at work, all their friends and families are all Iranian, yet they pick an English name for their children just so their fit in better! They can always have a middle name, or an easy given name, why give up on beautiful Persian names? As Behrang said, it doesnt necessarily means they'll fit in better..its depends on their personality!

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
But its amusing(and annoying) to 30 the new trend among Iranians here that all their customs, lang spoken at work, all their friends and families are all Iranian, yet they pick an English name for their children just so their fit in better!
Why are we any different than previous generations? Are all Italian-Americans named Giovanni or Vito ? How many German-Americans name their boys Wolfgang or Hans? Leaving Iran for good is the most definitive repudiation of Iran. Nothing else will cover that fact up. I haven't changed my name nor plan to but I will not judge those who do.

Lover

Bench Warmer
Apr 11, 2008
Toronto
This is a very interesting thread. My personal opinion is that the name you have is the name given to you by your parents so it’s something that should not be changed. I can understand wanting to change your name because of the “stigma” of being foreign but the United States is a country of foreigners. You are who you are and your name is part of that. The Jewish community has done well in the United States not because some of them changed their names when they came here but because they are a very tight knit community and work together to move forward their agenda’s. Changing your name does not change the color of your eyes, hair or skin.

I met a kid the other week that introduced himself as Jason. I looked at him like he was crazy after telling him my name was Behrang and he asked me why I was looking at him that way. I said, no offence but you look nothing like a Jason. Long story short he was Iranian and his name was Jahan. I asked him why he changed his name and he said to fit in because it’s hard being Iranian and you get a negative feeling when you tell people your Iranian. I asked him if he feels like he fits in now and he said no. If you want people to look at you different then carry yourself differently. Make a positive impact with every single person you meet. I try my best to be as professional as possible and put forth the best I can when I meet anyone because little by little we can change people’s ideals about us (us as in Iranians).

Just my two cents
blew my mind. Thank you. But isn't it easier to just sit on the sidelines with an English name until good people like you change our image ;) just a thought. The hottest girls I got in North America was during the time I introduced myself as "Adam." If I want to work with their dads now, I think it would make things seem like I'm not a strict follower of my Iranian culture and am a "Canadian" and should get their business. It's hard to fight those daily battles trying to change the minds of every ignorant f..k I meet (and ignorant f..ks still have the money which I'm trying to get lol). I'm stuck between a rock and a hard spot.

Last edited:

Lover

Bench Warmer
Apr 11, 2008
Toronto
I'm not sure if putting this here is smart because these sites are full of people with nostalgia and I used to be the biggest one myself..but those days are gone. Nevertheless there are some professionals reading this and some great minds as well. The following is going to be provocative but it's because I want to see where I'm going wrong with it if at all, so be candid, concise, and logical in your feedback please, leave your "gheirat" or emotion out of it please and think practically and reasonably if at all possible:

Some other great comments too I have to say. Here's one thing that will be a problem, the denigrating: "what your name is really? You don't look like a Jason, Adam, Sam, etc." that will come from some people but you can't have the cake and eat it too. If Iran was so good we would've been there right now so don't BS me about heritage, culture, bla bla, that's hypocritical. I admit that I have no connection to that country anymore, although I have a strong connection with the Iranian people outside of Iran who come into my immediate proximity and I love doing business with them and working and living with them in the same communities, that's where the limits of connection stops however. Similarly, once you've left Iran forever and it's only a vacation spot, it's game over and you can't really ever claim "your roots" there. Accept that you are now an Australian, a Canadian, an American, etc. enjoy life and move on. I think we should learn from the Jewish community and ALL change our names so that people in these countries don't think we are hostile foreigners. The name of that country has not been good for me personally, but the connection with Iranians like you reading this is the best thing in my life. So to keep the good and clean the bad WE NEED TO LEARN FROM JEWISH COMMUNITY: assimilate in a tactful way while sticking together.