AFC Asian Cup 2023

Finally

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
I'm curious to know what happened at halftime. We made no subs and as far as I could see no formation or tactical changes and yet we were a completely different team in the second half. Any thoughts? Not to take anything away from GN but perhaps Japan coming at us at 100 miles/hour in the 1st half and being exhausted in the 2nd may have also played a role.
Japan started second half sitting back and relying on counterattacks to score but Iran kept using long balls and winning most of airial battles forcing Japan to play deep in their half. Iran also won most of the loose balls in the midfield and kept the pressure.
Don’t forget that Japan appeared very shaky defensively throughout this tournament by conceding at least one goal per game.

but at the end of the day, Japan could not handle the pressure and was not able to perform the way they did during friendly games against Germany, Turkey etc…

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
Japan's goal Beyravand got a bit unlucky, but reminded of the best save I have ever seen anywhere.
Very similar to Japan's shot , this is why Nasser Hejazi was a phenomenon.
Beyranvand is a fantastic keeper and I heard his team mates call him best keeper in history, here is your answer .
Beyranvand all credit to him is the second best keeper in history in my opinion.

Last edited:

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
yep btw I think I like our chances vs bot teams. We got what we wanted extra time @oghabealborz Did Nasser El Hikazi die recently! I have vague memories of him. RIp 🇰🇼 legend, we are thinking of the same dude the one who scored in Iran in 82
Watch the video I posted, he is the goalie, never scored a goal but saved many ,

Like in this video, similar to the Japan's shot that hit Beyranvand foot and deflected into the goal .

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Is that a Kuwaiti flag?
Yes didn’t Nasser Sombati for Kuwait 🇰🇼 ?oh that was the goalkeeper for Iran my bad! Ok there was a Nasser Sombati for 🇰🇼 a striker who was really good I mistook the two. He was the one who had the game winning goal to beat us in eliminate us from the playoffs that was right when 🇮🇶 invaded 🇮🇷

Last edited:

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Watch the video I posted, he is the goalie, never scored a goal but saved many ,

Like in this video, similar to the Japan's shot that hit Beyranvand foot and deflected into the goal .
my bad I got confused with there was a good player in the 80’s 🇰🇼 and his name was also Nasser Hejazi except I think it was Nasser El Sombati and the spelling might be off . He was the one who scored on us to give Kuwait the two to one win in the Asian cup in the 80s you are referring to the 70’s 🇮🇷 Go my bad guys.
I heard he was one of the best goalkeepers 🇮🇷 ever had unfortunately he was a little before my time

RaminS

Feb 19, 2009
my bad I got confused with there was a good player in the 80’s 🇰🇼 and his name was also Nasser Hejazi except I think it was Nasser El Sombati and the spelling might be off . He was the one who scored on us to give Kuwait the two to one win in the Asian cup in the 80s you are referring to the 70’s 🇮🇷 Go my bad guys
Do you mean Jasem Yaghoob? Or Faisal Aldakhil?

HalaMadrid

Jul 28, 2021
Vancouver, Canada
LOL so Islamic Republic of Iran makes it to semi with Ghalenoei LOOOOOOL
Where are all the CQ lover boys? Remember how reaching Semi was one of the reason you worshiped that garbage? Are you going to worship Ghalenoe? or wait, is this still CQ work of art? Az maast ke bar maast doostan. Az harki khoda misazim.

Reedam be Islamic Republic and all its entities including but not limited to their national team.

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
This was the best performance I've seen of TM. This win is bittersweet for me personally because I don't want IR to ever win a trophy but at the same time if it gives the people an ounce of happiness so be it.
Getting a trophy is premature but you know what I mean.

Kian Pars

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2005
Still 2 Arab countries left from 10, I guess Iran and Korea will take care of them.
I'm with you guys on NOT fully being behind TM. It's an awkward feeling as a product of 45 years of IR, but I hope I see a day where we, again are 100% behind TM.
All these SOJDE and prayer on the pitch makes me sick to my stomach!

RaminS

Feb 19, 2009
Here is is my Nasee I was referring too. Also two Arab countries but 🇯🇴 and 🇶🇦 no 🇸🇦 or 🇦🇪 and 🇮🇷 + 🇰🇷 @RaminS do you see him here I believe he scored the 2nd goal killer striker for them.

The goal scorers for Kuwait in this game are the 2 players that I named: Jasem Yaghoob and Faisal Aldakhil. Where do you see a Naser scoring a goal for Kuwait?

footy

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2019
Marina Dool Rey
LOL so Islamic Republic of Iran makes it to semi with Ghalenoei LOOOOOOL
Where are all the CQ lover boys? Remember how reaching Semi was one of the reason you worshiped that garbage? Are you going to worship Ghalenoe? or wait, is this still CQ work of art? Az maast ke bar maast doostan. Az harki khoda misazim.

Reedam be Islamic Republic and all its entities including but not limited to their national team.
مکتب علی اصغری همچنان پیروز در اسیا

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
The goal scorers for Kuwait in this game are the 2 players that I named: Jasem Yaghoob and Faisal Aldakhil. Where do you see a Naser scoring a goal for Kuwait?
Ok then that was not the person or game Jashem Yaghoob and Fasal Akbahil. I do know back in the 80's Kuwait had some solid team.s
I think Iran should have no problems with Qatar I was not impressed with them at all. The Uzbek GK made a mistake and pushed the ball in the back of the net, on a bad angle.